[net.religion.jewish] Halloween

dk@browngr.UUCP (David Kantrowitz) (11/01/84)

Although Halloween may have no religious significance attached to it,
there is an additional Hallachic principle which celebrating the holiday
violates.  This is the prohibition against doing Chukash HaGoy - following
the customs and practices of the nonJewish nations around you.
This principle is the reason why some families I know do not celebrate
Thanksgiving, or any other secular American holidays.

A good reason for living by this principle is easy to explain: By avoiding
the special practices of the secular world, you avoid socializing with them
too intimately.  If one were to go trick-or-treating, where would you go?
Not to your Jewish friends, unless they were also celebrating (which is
unlikely).  Most of the people you meet will not be Jewish, and consequently,
any long term social relationships that result will not be Jewish, and the
more of these you make, the more forces start pulling you away from Judaism
and into assimilation.

The Jewish people have their own special times to celebrate, such as Hanukkah
and Purim.  The more nonJewish things you do, the less Jewish you become in
all aspects of your life.  This is not a paranoid fear of anything foreign;
it is something which happens all the time, whether or not the victims are
aware of it.  Assimilation starts way before the level of intermarriage.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (11/04/84)

I  am  glad Kantrowitz spooke up about Halloween.  If this point had not
been made, I would have eventually brought it up.  Modern  Western  Jews
have  a  much  too limited view of what apostacy is.  Genuerally Western
Jews consider only conversion to Christianity  apostacy.   But  in  fact
most of Jewish history has taken place in non-Christian lands.  Apostacy
in N. Africa for the past millenium meant conversion to Islam.  But more
importantly,  apostacy  during  the  hellenistic and Roman periods meant
conversion to the secular humanism of Roman or Greek culture.  Therefore
even  celebration  of  a  "secular"  holiday could easily be (a part of)
apostacy.  For this reason I am unpersuaded  by  Yirmiyahu  ben  David's
diatribes against prayer in the classroom.  Exposure to secular humanism
which tends to emphasize the nonimportance of religion is very likely to
lead to apostacy.

There  is  also  a  problem  with  celebrating a Jewish holiday in a way
similar to a non-Jewish holiday.  Most recently this is a  problem  with
Hanukkah.  I am often amused to think that those types of Jews who would
imitate the "secular" observance of Christmas in Hanukkah are  precisely
the type of Jews whose throats the Hashmonaim would have cut.

There is a problem when Ashkenazim imitate the Mardi Gras with Purim and
also because many Lenten customs  have  crept  into  Ashkenazi  Passover
observance.

yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP (Yirmiyahu BenDavid) (11/04/84)

I've never seen any problem with Thanksgiving (since there was, to my
knowledge, no pagan origins). I do now. We no longer will observe
Thanksgiving (unless someone changes my mind again with a better
argument). Hope no one has a heart attack because I learned something.
And thanks for your contribution.

dxp@pyuxhh.UUCP (D Peak) (11/06/84)

Most of the responses to the original question on halloween have been
answered from a childs perspective, and that it is not a good habit
to permit jewish children to participate in halloween activities.

          However, as most of us are adults (or close to it) should
a jewish family respond to neighbourhood kids "trick or treat" visits
by handing out treats or not (if one lived in a predominantly jewish
neighbourhood the question would not arise).

--

    Dave Peak (pyuxhh!dxp)

"He's a legend in his own mind"

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (11/06/84)

Re: Halloween and Jews Part II

So Mr. BenDavid,... let me understand the rules of the
game.  If BenDavid finds something in net.religion or
someday perhaps net.religion.christian that is incorrect
(vis a vis Jews) or worse - anti-Semitic then he is free,
NAY OBLIGATED, to skewer the offender frequently and hard.

However, as a Christian if I find something that IN MY OPINION,
is in error or offensive (to Christianity) in net.religion.jewish
then I should keep quiet about it because it was only mentioned
" in passing " and " not of interest " to Jews according to YBD.

I submit that this is prima facie evidence of a double standard.

If you're gonna zap errors and nastiness in net.anywhere than you
should expect that you will get back similar scrutiny.

To paraphrase that good old Hellenist Jewish Doctor (Luke)
"The measure you give is the measure you get back."

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (11/07/84)

In article <744@pyuxhh.UUCP> dxp@pyuxhh.UUCP (D Peak) writes:
||           However, as most of us are adults (or close to it) should
|| a jewish family respond to neighbourhood kids "trick or treat" visits
|| by handing out treats or not (if one lived in a predominantly jewish
|| neighbourhood the question would not arise).

Wrong. We live in a predominantly Jewish neighbourhood, but the
question does arise. You'd have to live in a predominantly Orthodox
neighbourhood (perhaps Boro Park or Crown Heights) for it not to arise.

This year I decided that I didn't feel like having a bunch of
kids demand candy from me. If I knew who they were, I'd be quite
happy to tell them I'd noted their request and would deliver the
candy on Purim as Mishloach Manos. But with the disguises you
never know who the kids are at your door.

What did I do? I turned off the lights, ignored the doorbell and
read netnews in the dark.

Incidentally, the rabbi of our shul, Rav David Schochet, spoke
about it last Shabbos (a few days late:-). He pointed out that
one should not give food to another Jew without making sure that
other person will say a brocha over the food. He also made reference
to the origins of Halowe'en in avodah zarah, and noted it should
be avoided for that reason.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
 { allegra cornell decvax ihnp4 linus utzoo }!utcsrgv!dave

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (11/07/84)

[]

> There is a problem when Ashkenazim imitate the Mardi Gras with Purim and
> also because many Lenten customs  have  crept  into  Ashkenazi  Passover
> observance.

	Can you please clarify this for me since I don't see how us
Ashkenazim " imitate the Mardi Gras " and " Lenten " customs.    The reason
for posting my query instead of private mail is that if I don't understand,
perhaps others might not either.  I welcome your clarification.
Shalom,
David Seth Green   ..mhuxi!dsg    201-564-4468

BTW, I dated a nice Sephardic ( Syrian ) girl Saturday night.  Although
she understands Arabic and Hebrew, she had no idea what "vusvus" means.
Can you explain that?  Also note that we had a great time, despite my
ashkenazic background.

elb@hou5e.UUCP (Ellen Bart) (11/07/84)

I do not celebrate Halloween or NewYears but I'm not sure I agree that
Thaksgiving falls in the same category.  As far as I can tell, Thanksgiving
celebrates the ability of the first colonists to survive in the new
land.  Since I benefit from that new land, why shouldn't I be happy about
it's founding?

Saying that the first settlers were anti-Jewish is not an arguement that
would sway me because I'm not remembering the values of the first settlers,
but rather the establishement of a country from which I now benefit.

I solicit responses that would convince me either way.

Ellen Bart

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (11/08/84)

In article <62@mit-athena.ARPA> martillo@mit-athena.ARPA
(Joaquim Martillo) writes:

>I  am  glad Kantrowitz spooke up about Halloween.

Nice pun.

	- Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
	allegra!eosp1!robison
	or: decvax!ittvax!eosp1!robison