[net.misc] What's the world coming to? :-)

wisen@inmet.UUCP (01/06/84)

#N:inmet:6400081:000:1052
inmet!wisen    Jan  4 13:18:00 1984

	Seen in a Paperback Booksmith store yesterday:
	|    Sorry, we cannot accept anything over a |
	|    $20 bill without a picture ID.	     |
	|____________________________________________|

	Golly, what's the world coming to, when they won't even take
CASH without identification?    My temptation is to return to that store,
get $90 worth of books, and present them with a $100. bill and no ID.  If
they refuse the bill, then they must return the books to the shelves
without my help.   If enough people do this, they may realize that some
people believe that picture IDs should be used for serious purposes, or for
nations such as South Africa.
	The problem with this plan is that I can't think of $90 worth of
anything that Paperback Booksmith carries and that I want.  Perhaps 22
copies of "1984"? :-)
						.
						|\
	------Bruce Wisentaner		       /| \
	cca!ima!inmet			      / |  \
	   	     } !wisen	 o	     /  |   \
	  harpo!inmet 		 ^_.       _/___|=====
				O\/`O	     \_______/]
						\_(

ss@wivax.UUCP (Sid Shapiro) (01/06/84)

Speaking what is this world coming to and cash, I once tried to rent a
parking space from the government (contracting at a government site
and needed a place to park).  I tried to pay the small amount in cash.
I was refused.  The government would only accept a check!

I can think of a good reason that it was not accepted (cash is too
easy to misplace...), but I was so outraged that the gov't would not
accept as payment the gov't's own money that I called the attorney
general and asked about the printing on a bill that says "This note is
legal tender for all debts public and private".  I was told somthing
like (it has been a few years) that that saying means only that I can
offer it in good faith, but it doesn't have to be accepted!  Sheesh!
--

Sid Shapiro -- Wang Institute of Graduate Studies
    [cadmus, decvax, linus, apollo, bbncca, sco]!wivax!ss

ark@rabbit.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (01/07/84)

"Sorry, we cannot accept anything over a $20 bill without a picture ID"

Apparently these people are unaware of the concept of legal tender.
It is ILLEGAL to refuse to accept cash for any purchase.  I suggest
that if you really want to make a scene, you buy $90 worth of books,
present them with a $100 bill, refuse to give identification, and,
if they refuse to accept the bill, call the police.

whp@cbnap.UUCP (01/08/84)

Actually I don't think they have the right to refuse to accept
cash.  On all MY money is printed "this note is legal tenter for
all debts, public and private".  I've seen this sort of thing
before, though.  Ever try to rent a car with cash?

Perhaps if these people don't like using money to settle debts,
then they should print up their own!

W. H. Pollock

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (01/08/84)

I assume the bookstore won't accept bills larger than $20 because
U.S. currency is relatively easy to counterfeit. The place to direct
the blame is not the bookstore (they're just trying to make money
after all), but your government for not having come out with
new currency by now. The reason for the I.D., of course, is to give
them someone to go after if the bill proves to be a fake.

Dave Sherman
Toronto, Canada (our currency may look like Monopoly money to you
		with all those colours, but at least it's not as
		easy to copy!)
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/08/84)

<see net.news.b for the fix to this bug>

Another possibility is to buy what seems to be about $20, and if it goes
over pick books out and try again.  Repeat until you've bought all the books
you wanted.

Still another possibility is not to buy anything there; both policies should
also include sending a letter to Paperback Booksmith telling them why their
policy is a pain and why it will cost them in the long run.

	"Sorry, you can't buy more than $20 worth of stuff without
	a picture ID."

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

rpw3@fortune.UUCP (01/09/84)

#R:inmet:6400081:fortune:6700023:000:937
fortune!rpw3    Jan  8 22:01:00 1984

Cash is the ONLY form of payment which someone is obligated to accept.
Notice that the phrase "tender" does indeed mean "offer". A friend of
mine badly scared an Atlanta Sears-Roebuck manager a few years ago
when he went to pick up a refrigerator. After they had loaded it in his
truck (yes, they were that silly) ((but before he drove away)) he
"tendered" payment in cash, exact change. The manager refused to take it.
The friend said something like, "I will offer to pay you one more time,
in legal tender, then I will drive away with my new refrigerator you
have given me for free." The manager took the cash.

Not sure that proves anything, but it's a fun true story.

(Of course, I don't think it says anything about the merchant being
required to make change.)

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{sri-unix,amd70,hpda,harpo,ihnp4,allegra}!fortune!rpw3
DDD:	(415)595-8444
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphins Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065

chuqui@cae780.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/09/84)

The real problem with large bills is not counterfeiting, it is robbery!
One of the more popular tricks in the robbery trade is to ask for change
for a large bill. If you are turned down, you know that it isn't worth
hitting the store, and if you do get the change, you can get your bill back
with a good return on the investment (:->).

This leads to the second problem: Since stores are very worried about being
robbed, they do what the can to minimize their losses (in almost all cases,
standard procedure is to give them what they want, no questions asked, and
not to risk your neck). This means that most of a stores money goes into a
one way safe or lockbox quickly. In most stores, there is rarely more than
a couple of hundred dollars in a register at any time (all large bills,
checks, and charge slips are removed on a regular business) and in high
risk stores (like 7-11) the figure is closer to $20. Thats the REAL reason
you can't get change for large bills... They don't have it!

chuq

--
From the dungeons of the warlock:	 	Chuqui the Plaid

	    Note the new address:		fortune!nsc!chuqui

whm@arizona.UUCP (Bill Mitchell) (01/10/84)

I once heard that there's some sort of law concerning how many coins
can be used to pay a debt.  I believe it was something like more than
twenty coins don't constitute a legal payment if the person doesn't
want to take it.  Does anybody know for sure?

					Bill Mitchell
					whm.arizona@rand-relay
					{kpno,mcnc,utah-cs}!arizona!whm

bhyde@inmet.UUCP (01/10/84)

#R:inmet:6400081:inmet:6400082:000:388
inmet!bhyde    Jan  9 21:42:00 1984

Now just because you want to buy something doesn't mean you have
managed to enter a debt relationship with these Booksmith people,
so I wouldn't pay much attention to the documentation ( This note
is legal tender for all debts, public and private. ) on your
money.  I have heard of organizations that only take checks, or
credit cards so as to ease security or book keeping.
			ben hyde

crl@pur-phy.UUCP (Charles LaBrec) (01/10/84)

I've known many stores (usually small) that won't accept > $20 bills
at all.  I guess $50's and $100's are more prone to counterfeiting.
Anyone know for sure?

Charles LaBrec
UUCP:		pur-ee!Physics:crl, purdue!Physics:crl
INTERNET:	crl @ pur-phy.UUCP

kds@intelca.UUCP (Ken Shoemaker) (01/11/84)

I remember a few years ago that someone at Northwestern Univ. paid
his tuition in pennies, and after some kind of legal battle they
were forced to accept it that way...
--
Ken Shoemaker, Intel, Santa Clara, Ca.
{pur-ee,hplabs,ucbvax!amd70,ogcvax!omsvax}!intelca!kds

chuqui@cae780.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/11/84)

Remember Larry Flynt? When he was being fined 10,000 a day for contempt of
court, he started paying in 1 dollar bills. The court stopped that one
fairly quickly by making him count the money for a bailiff every day to
prove it was all there. They may have to break down and take the money if
you push hard enough, but they don't have to make it easy on you! :->

--
-- Diogenes looked in and laughed--

From the dungeons of the warlock		Chuqui the Plaid
Note the new address:				{fortune,menlo70}!nsc!chuqui

~And as I lived my role I swore I'd sell my soul for one love
 who would stand by me and give me back the gift of laughter~
		- Winslow Leech

pbw@cbosgd.UUCP (Paul Westerfield) (01/11/84)

	Just as a note: One summer I worked for Stop-n-Go (convenient store)
	and they had a nothing >$20 policy. The reason here, though, was that
	the amount of change kept in the register was kept very small to avoid
	losing very much to robbery (which is common in these type of stores).
	Change for a $20 on a small purchase could easily wipe out most of the
	change you had, depending on how close you were keeping the drawer.
	This is not a defense of inconvenience, just some additional data.

						-P. B. Westerfield
						(APR - CB BTL)

joyce@ihuxp.UUCP (joyce) (01/11/84)

It's surprising that no one has brought up the point that the store may
not be able to make change for large bills, especially if a few people
in a row come in with $50 or $100 bills.  Many places try not to keep
large amounts of money on hand to discourage thieves.

mazur@inmet.UUCP (01/12/84)

#R:inmet:6400081:inmet:6400083:000:181
inmet!mazur    Jan 10 19:09:00 1984

Apparently more than 25 pennies are *not* legal tender, as some people
find out when they bring in their bag of pennies (somehow they're never
rolled).
          - Beth Mazur

esj@ihuxl.UUCP (Natty Dread I) (01/12/84)

Re: NU tuition in pennies.

I was there at the time.  I remember the "Daily Northwestern" giving it
front page coverage.  I think he was protesting the annual tuition
increase.  I don't remember the outcome.

ihnp4!ihuxl!esj

david@randvax.ARPA (David Shlapak) (01/14/84)

	J---s C----t (I've been reading net.religion too long!), what
	is in fact this world coming to?  Have we all become so paranoid
	that any demand that we identify ourselves becomes cause
	for "Big-Brother-itis" and references to South Africa???

	Has anybody out there ever heard of a practice known as
	"counterfeiting?"  That's when someone other than the
	government prints "funny money" and tries to use it as
	"legal tender," which it definitely is not.  Strangely
	enough, most practicioners of this art don't waste
	much time with singles, fives or tens...they turn out
	the big stuff -- bones (hundreds) and half-bones (guess).
	Often, businesses trying to prevent being taken by said
	individuals will mark such  a bill in a manner as to
	identify when it came in the store and who brought it.
	Now tell me, all you pseudo-civil-libertarians, what
	is so all-fired black and conspiratorial about that????

	Note to the fella who suggested calling the cops if a
	business refuses your money: Yes, cash does carry a legend
	reading "This note is legal tender for all debts public and
	private."  However, places of business are private, NOT public,
	property and the proprietors thereof reserve the right to
	refuse service to anyone they so desire, provided such
	refusal is not made on racial or other similar grounds.  Thus,
	by turning down your money, they are merely exercising their
	rights not to serve you.  All the cop would do is giggle at
	you.  He's got better things to do with his time than worry
	about your hurt feelings and all too easily bruised sense
	of injustice and oppression.

	Sheesh!!!

						--- das

ucbesvax.max@ucbcad.UUCP (01/14/84)

#R:inmet:6400081:ucbesvax:6000013:000:217
ucbesvax!max    Jan  7 17:22:00 1984

(A blank line or two just in case)

I was under the impression that the declaration "legal tender for all
debts..." carried some legal force. Can any netters with legal background
comment authoritatively on this?

davy@ecn-ee.UUCP (01/16/84)

#R:utcsrgv:-306200:ecn-ee:16300002:000:278
ecn-ee!davy    Jan 15 15:05:00 1984

	I heard a few months back that the U.S. *IS* going to come
out with colored "monopoly" money like Canada (and many other countries)
has.  I don't recall when this was supposed to occur, but I think it
was fairly soon (i.e. next five years).

--Dave Curry
decvax!pur-ee!davy

mike@erix.UUCP (Mike Williams XT/DU) (01/17/84)

As a dumb European I always have problems with American money. All the
notes (sorry bills) look the same to me. Not only are they of the same
colour, but also the same size. Also why is there no 50 cent coin?

decvax!mcvax!enea!erix!mike

PS Swiss coins are even worse, they all look the same and their size has
nothing to do with their value!

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (01/19/84)

---
erix!mike in Stockholm asks why there's no $0.50 coin.

Probably because they don't fit in any vending machines.  But also
because they're regarded as just too big.  In Denmark, the 5 0re
and 5 kroner pieces are enormous.  (I assume Sweden also has large
coins.)  Neither would catch on in the US, although I personally like
a nice big coin--it looks like real money and has a feeling of
ancient history to it.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

amigo2@ihuxq.UUCP (01/20/84)

Ken Perlow says that there is no U.S. $.50 coin.  Sorry Ken, but
there is (or at least was a couple of years ago).  It had John
Kennedy's profile on the obverse and the U.S. Shield supported by an
eagle on the reverse (one of the best designs for a coin reverse of
any that I know of).  Anyway, the original question was "Why is
there not a fifty-cent *note*?"

				John Hobson
				AT&T Bell Labs
				Naperville, IL
				(312) 979-7293
				ihnp4!ihuxq!amigo2

wkh@hou5a.UUCP (01/21/84)

An earlier item asked why there was no 50-cent US note.
Well, there was, once upon a time.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, people began hoarding
their gold and silver.  As a result, all coins quickly
disappeared from circulation.  Day-to-day business
nearly ground to a halt due to the lack of small change.
Dozens of substitutes appeared, from barter to paper IOU's
and even postage stamps.  Finally the US gov't relieved
the chaos by printing millions of notes in small denominations,
known as "Fractional Currency".  Denominations were
3, 5, 10, 15, 25, and 50 cents.  They were produced
into the late 1870's and remained in circulation as late
as the turn of the century.  They are still legal tender,
although most are worth more than face value to a collector.

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/21/84)

> Anyway, the original question was "Why is there not a fifty-cent *note*?"

To quote from an article which asked about money with 50 cent denominations,
and to which Ken Perlow was replying:

> Also why is there no 50 cent coin?

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (01/21/84)

These sub-dollar amount paper bills were referred to as
shin plasters according to my sainted grand mother.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Holmdel
					(201) 834-3759
					ariel!jlw

ken@ihuxq.UUCP (01/23/84)

----
Gee, I guess I gave the impression that I thought there was no
US $0.50 coin.  I meant to say (thought I did) that it was not
at all *popular* (because it doesn't fit in vending machines, etc),
not that it was simply not at all.  It ought not to exist, since it is
too big to carry around yet not big enough to have that fine, antique
"pieces of eight" look (like the Ike or Morgan).
There ought to be a $0.50 note, even a $0.25 note, as these would be
even cheaper to manufacture than those zinc (or whatever) sandwiches now
in circulation.  In fact, you could do away with coins altogether... :-)
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****

jonab@sdcrdcf.UUCP (01/25/84)

In article <526@ihuxq.UUCP> ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) writes:
>----
>There ought to be a $0.50 note, even a $0.25 note, as these would be
>even cheaper to manufacture than those zinc (or whatever) sandwiches now
>in circulation.  In fact, you could do away with coins altogether... :-)

Gee, then what do all of us video game enthusiasts do? ;-}

--
Jon Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,sdccsu3,trw-unix}!sdcrdcf!jonab

andrew@inmet.UUCP (01/26/84)

#R:hou5a:-49500:inmet:6400086:000:174
inmet!andrew    Jan 24 09:39:00 1984

There is in fact a 50-cent coin, although it's not widely circulated.  The
current design dates to 1965 (or so) and features former president John
F. Kennedy on the obverse.