[net.religion.jewish] Bob Brown and Luke

de@moscom.UUCP (Dave Esan) (11/12/84)

From postnews Sun Nov 11 21:59:40 1984
Subject: Bob Brown and Luke
Newsgroups: net.religion.jewish

Bob Brown noted in his article about flaming non-Jews on this net, that
Luke had said

From postnews Sun Nov 11 22:09:12 1984

> To paraphrase that good old Hellenist Jewish Doctor (Luke)
> "The measure you give is the measure you get back."

Just for the record, I grew up in a Hebrew Day School under a poster
that said in Hebrew, "in the measure that you measure others, they measure
you," (bimidah she-atah moded modedim otkhah).  This is from Proverbs (mishleh).Luke may have said that and many other things, but he was paraphrasing
Solomon.

BTW, Rev. Brown, keep on pouring your Christian thought into the Jewish net.
The more you try to explain your religion, the more I can appreciate the
morning blessing of "shelo asani goy", blessing G-d that I was not created a
non-Jew.

trb@masscomp.UUCP (Andy Tannenbaum) (11/16/84)

moscom!de (Dave Esan):
> BTW, Rev. Brown, keep on pouring your Christian thought into the Jewish net.
> The more you try to explain your religion, the more I can appreciate the
> morning blessing of "shelo asani goy", blessing G-d that I was not created a
> non-Jew.

I am saddenned and offended by the vitriol often spewed by folks who
represent themselves as righteous Jews.  I know it says "shelo asani
goy" in our morning prayers, and it says some other things which can be
weilded in stupid ways too.  God gives us free will, and we may, if we
so choose, act foolishly.

I realize that Dave's paragraph above, when taken literally, doesn't
actually say anything terribly negative about Bob Brown.  It is
remotely possible that Dave meant it literally.  However, if people
take it as a figurative, sarcastic, caustic note, even if we get a
message different from the one that Dave meant to imply, the damage is
still done.

Dave, please realize that you're not doing anyone any favors with such
crap as the above paragraph from your reply to Bob Brown.  You're not
educating non-Jews, you're not representing Jews well, and you're not
representing yourself well.  Everyone, even Dave, even Bob, has a right
to say what they want to here, as far as I'm concerned.  My purpose here
is just to let Dave know that I don't think he's moving the position of
Judaism in the world forward by being as negative as he was in the note
I'm following up.

	Lively up yourself, and don't be no drag.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274