[net.religion.jewish] Wingate's remarks

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (11/16/84)

Since two people have said that they were unable to read Wingate's article
either through searching net.news or via parent commands, I am reposting his
entire article (rather than just the excerpt).  Although the rest of the
article has nothing to do with the anti-Semitic remark, it does explain
the context in which the article was written (use of the netnews "Distribution"
field was the topic).  If he injects such venom into simple technical
articles, what can be gleaned from the hidden agenda in his articles more
directly dealing with the subject of religion?  (Just a question.)

It's not at all clear that distribution works. (It's also damn hard to
tell when it isn't working; I suppose some Jew-baiting in net.religion.jewish
would be an easy way to find out!)  Based on an admittedly sketchy test I
put out in net.test, some usa sites did not receive an article with a usa
distribution even though a similar article without a distribution line
made it through.

To conduct a better test, I am sending out a pair of articles in this group
which are essentially indentical except for distribution.  THis article
has no distribution line; if the article with the distirbution DID NOT reach
your site, please jot down the path this article took and send me a brief
message.  (Be sure to allow time for delivery before you mail me.)

Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe

What follows is the header from that same article, included last so that
those who wished only to see the article need not peruse the header first.

--
"If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy!"     Rich Rosen  pyuxd!rlr

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (11/19/84)

[]
	Let's see if I can make everybody mad. From Charlie Wingate:

>> It's not at all clear that distribution works. (It's also damn hard to
>> tell when it isn't working; I suppose some Jew-baiting in net.religion.jewish
>> would be an easy way to find out!)

	While I would hardly conclude anti-semitism from this one posting,
it was a damn poor choice of examples. It should *at least* have had
a smiley-face attached; even then it shows a lack of sensitivity to other's
feelings.

	And from two responses by Rich Rosen:

> I feel no compunctions about reposting this.  It is not from private mail,
> but rather from a public posting in net.news by one Charlie Wingate.  Perhaps
> it will shed some light on his true feelings towards members of other
> religions, and on the real thrusts behind his statements and articles.

>                   .... If he injects such venom into simple technical
> articles, what can be gleaned from the hidden agenda in his articles more
> directly dealing with the subject of religion?  (Just a question.)

	A classic cop-out (attack by innuendo). You have implied Wingate
is anti-semitic, but not actually come out and said you think he is.
	A challenge to Mr. Rosen for clarification: do you believe Mr.
Wingate is anti-semitic? If so, do you base this opinion purely on this
one quote, or do you claim other evidence for this opinion? And if you
don't believe he is anti-semitic, what made you choose to repost this
message? (Just a question.)
	I guess it's easier to back water later if you don't come out
and actually state your opinion.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
        Electric Avenue:              {dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry