[net.religion.jewish] Fund raising techniques

raphael@crystal.UUCP (11/26/84)

What techniques are acceptable for a synagogue to raise money?  I would like
to elicit answers based on any set of standards you would like to raise, but
I prefer standards grounded in halokho (Jewish way of life).

Here is a list of fundraising projects I have heard of, and my one-line
reaction:

Annual dues:  Fine, but it can be steep.
Mi-she-beyrakh's (Prayers on behalf of a congregant, recited for a fee during
	Torah reading):  OK, but can be embarrassing.
Auctioning kibudim (Honors of various sorts):  I don't like it.
Yearly appeals during High Holiday services:  Contrary to the spirit of the day.
Rummage sales:  Great, especially if the poor have first chance and good price.
Plaques commemorating departed relatives:  Traditional.
Plaques commemorating joyous events:  I like this idea better.
Contributions in honor of or in condolence for recent events:  A nice idea.
Gift shop:  A good source of Judaica, but can tend toward bad taste.
Soliciting gifts of life insurance policies:  Un-Jewish and fraudulent
Religious-school fees:  The congregation should support the school, not the
	reverse.
Art auctions:  Nice idea.
Bingo:  Encourages gambling, taxes the poor.

Any comments?

elbaum@reed.UUCP (Elbaum) (11/29/84)

raphael@crystal.UUCP writes:
>What techniques are acceptable for a synagogue to raise money?  I would like
>to elicit answers based on any set of standards you would like to raise, but
>I prefer standards grounded in halokho (Jewish way of life).
>
>Here is a list of fundraising projects I have heard of, and my one-line
>reaction:

>Mi-she-beyrakh's (Prayers on behalf of a congregant, recited for a fee during
 	Torah reading):  OK, but can be embarrassing.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm appalled at the idea.

-----
Daniel Elbaum
{decvax, ucbvax, pur-ee, uw-beaver, masscomp, cbosg,
 mit-ems, psu-cs, uoregon, orstcs, ihnp4, uf-cgrl}!tektronix
						  teneron----\
						  ogcvax------+-!reed!elbaum
						  muddcs-----/
						  cadic-----/
						  oresoft--/
						  grpwre--+

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (12/04/84)

> raphael@crystal.UUCP writes:
> >What techniques are acceptable for a synagogue to raise money?  I would like
> >to elicit answers based on any set of standards you would like to raise, but
> >I prefer standards grounded in halokho (Jewish way of life).
> >
> >Here is a list of fundraising projects I have heard of, and my one-line
> >reaction:

> >Mi-she-beyrakh's (Prayers on behalf of a congregant, recited for a fee during
>  	Torah reading):  OK, but can be embarrassing.
>
> I don't know about anyone else, but I'm appalled at the idea.
>
> -----
> Daniel Elbaum

    in our shul we do not force a person to pay for a misheberach, rather
 if the person feels like giving we allow it. if the person doesn't want
 to give they still get the same misheberach.

			Eliyahu Teitz.