[net.religion.jewish] Who is a Jew

jgw@rabbit.UUCP (Jay G. Wilpon) (07/16/84)

Since, this discussion is starting let me make 1 point.
The original reason for considering a child of a Jewish
mother Jewish and not a Jewish father, was that you always
knew who the mother was (ie. Jewish), but were never 100% sure
who the father was.
But today technique's are becoming available so as to tell
who the father is (that is, if you are given a choice).
Therefore, when these techniques are wide-spread then
it shouldn't make a difference which parent is Jewish

dave@utcsrgv.UUCP (Dave Sherman) (07/17/84)

In article <2979@rabbit.UUCP> jgw@rabbit.UUCP (Jay G. Wilpon) writes:
~| The original reason for considering a child of a Jewish
~| mother Jewish and not a Jewish father, was that you always
~| knew who the mother was (ie. Jewish), but were never 100% sure
~| who the father was.

Really? Can you quote a halachic source (e.g., Talmud, Mishnah)
for this claim? I think not.

The reason that Judaism is inherited from the mother and not the
father is because that is the definition of Judaism. Rationalizations
of the reasons for halachah are largely irrelevant to the status
of the halachah, and should not be used to change it.

Whether the father can be genetically proven to be the father today
is totally irrelevant to the definition of a Jew. Judaism, as
practised for millenia, has only one definition: "born of a Jewish
mother, or converted in accordance with halachah".

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
 {allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsrgv!dave
or

mls@wxlvax.UUCP (07/20/84)

Who is a Jew is defined by Jewish law, just as who is an American citizen,
a French citizen, or a Polish citizen defined by that country's law.  If
I am one nationality and wish to become another, then I must go through
whatever process is necessary.  I can not decide to call myself an English
citizen, walk into the Forign Office and ask for a British passport.
I will not be issued a passport until I fulfill the requirements for
English citizenship.  The same is true within Jewish law: you must be born a
Jew by having a Jewish mother or convert according to the Law.

Although many people have changed the Law or want to change it, it can only be
changed in specific ways.  These too are outlined in Jewish Law.  Laws
can be *interpreted* by experts.  Some laws can be changed by the Sanhederen
(which no longer exists).  Some laws can only be changed by G-d.  But, this is
no different than national laws, with different powers given to courts,
legislative bodies, Kings or Presidents, or the Constitution.

It makes no difference if your family came from Germany, Russia, Iran, Moracco,
or America: all are Jews.  But, is this not the same as people who come
from the South, North East or West in the United States?  Each region
has different cultures, but all are Americans, subject to the same
national laws.  Each state and local government will have its own laws,
but the national law stands above all.  The same is true for Jewish law.
Each region or national group will have its own customs, but all are subject
to the same overall Law.

But, what about the situation when others place all Jews in the same catagory?
For those who wish to remain Jews, maybe they should look into what it means to
practice the religion, maybe they should learn more about the Jewish religion,
maybe they will learn that we all are Jews, having the same beliefs, subject to
the same laws, involved in each others fate.

					Michael L. Schneider

dnd@exodus.UUCP (David N. Deutsch) (07/27/84)

The quotation "Mother's baby, papa's?  Maybe" has often
been used to justify the consideration of a child as Jewish
if the mother is Jewish.  This is in sharp contrast to the
classification of the child (Cohen, Levi or Israelite, not
Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, Reconstructionist, etc. :-))
which is based solely on the father.

I asked "my" Rabbi for a suitable reference as to why
Jewish law bases the child's religion on the mother's.
He directed me to the book of Bereshit (Genesis) wherein
Abraham (considered to be the first Jew) had two wives
and two sons.  Sarah was considered to be Jewish and so
was her son Isaac.  Hagar was not Jewish nor was her
son Ishmael.  The father (Abraham) was common to both.
We thus have a biblical example where the Jewish
religion depends on the mother rather than the father.

David N. Deutsch     (201-582-2032  or exodus!dnd)
(Bell Communications Research, Murray Hill, N.J.)

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (08/02/84)

>Michael Schneider believes, just as American law determines who is an
>American, and French law determines who is a Frenchman, Jewish law
>determines who is a Jew.

The terminology is incorrect.  French law does not determine  who  is  a
Frenchman  but  who is a citizen of France and who therefore has all the
rights and responsibilities of French citizenship.

>Which Jewish law? Orthodox, Conservative, and Reform Judaism are not
>uniform in their requirements. Thus, we have more than one proposed
>standard. With three laws, does that mean there are three distinct
>Jewish peoples? Also, someone who believes all Jews are Israelis in
>exile can also suggest Israeli law as a fourth possibility.

Orthodox, Conservative and Reform Judaism are  all  basically  erroneous
Ashkenazi  developments  and  should  swiftly  pass  into oblivion.  Who
selects the law?  Who selected the French law or the  USA  law?   People
whose  primary political affiliation was the French nation or the United
States of America.  Likewise, people whose primary  affiliation  is  the
Jewish  nation  (I  do not say Israeli nation) select the law.  Therefor
about 95% of Ashkenazim have no right in selecting the law.

>Since he refers to "laws that can only be changed by G_d", it is safe
>to assume Michael refers to the Orthodox variety. Certainly, appeals to
>the divine origin of Mosaic Law is what sets it apart from the
>Napoleonic Code. You can't have it both ways: you can claim divine
>commandment, or analogy with secular law, but claiming both is a little
>too much!

Analogy is the often the easiest way to explain to the ignorant.

>The statement that Jews of different nations have as much in common
>with each other as people of different regions of the same nations is
>hyperbole. An American Jew, for example, is very concerned with the
>fate and status of a Jew in, say, the Soviet Union, but still has more
>in common with his Gentile neighbor or even with a Baptist from West
>Texas.

This statement just proves my contention that Ashkenazim can  no  longer
be  genuinely  considered  Jewish.   USA  citizens use terms of national
affiliation in two distinct ways.  An Italian is  someone  with  Italian
citizenship  who takes part in the political and cultural life of Italy.
But an Italian is also an American whose  ethnic  roots  lie  in  Italy.
Only  the  former  has a right to take part in the national and cultural
life of Italy.  The latter may now and  then  have  Italian  citizenship
(just  like  Americans  of  Jewish background are sometimes accidentally
Jewish) but he would have to alter his primary affiliations  (lashub  --
to  return)  before  he  could  legitimately  claim  the right to affect
Italian national and political and cultural institutions.

Jews of different nations formed one national culture as little  as  two
hundred  and  fifty  years  ago.  For  example, there are cases of a Jew
starting out in Vilna  and  living  various  portions  of  his  life  in
Germany,  France,  Italy,  Algeria,  Yemen and India and apparently such
individuals never noticed major differences in  outlook.   The  talmudic
lifestyle  promotes unity.  In the 19th century Ashkenazim began to drop
out of the Jewish world.

The commandment ahabat Yisrael requires a Jew to  feel  more  in  common
with  a  Russian  Jew  or  and Israeli Jew than with a Baptist neighbor.
Since  David  Ruben  is  apparently  violating   this   most   important
commandment,  he  certainly has no right to input on the organization of
the Jewish people.

sher@rochester.UUCP (08/04/84)

In a jewish philosophy course I took in college I read a passage
by Maimonides which defined exactly who is a jew.  Unfortunately my copy
of Maimonides excerps is in another city.   Can someone quote the passage
(It is probably the most referenced section of his extremely referenced work
so I think it should be no problem finding it.)
FLAME:
Anyway I also suggest that
if Mr Martillo does not want to consider me to be in the same people as he
then he is no longer jewish because I am.  I often violate talmudic law but
that is insufficient to exclude me from Judaism according to Jewish law.
(I think that even if I were to be excomunicated I would still be jewish
but am not sure.)  The fact that Mr. Martillo is ashamed of most of the
Jews of the world (or at least a substantial percentage) should not act to
confuse people about important facts like just who is a Jew.  Otherwise
I would not respond to his overemotional postings  (In other words I have
to be fairly annoyed before I flame).

-David Sher

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (08/06/84)

Mr. Martillo is by far the most arrogant individual I have yet run
into on this net. He has stated that my disagreement with his views
DISQUALIFIES me from any input on Jewishness. When all those who are
deserving of such disqualification are eliminated, only those who
agree with Martillo will be left. (By the way, all of you who feel I
ought to be disqualified need not read this)

Martillo, if the truth is so obvious to you, so writ in stone that no
discussion can be carried on in good spirit, why do you bother
participating in this group? It cannot be for your edification, as you
clearly know it all. It cannot be for our edification, since you respond
to contrary views with insults and rudeness.

There must be people reading this who may hold Martillo's views on
nationality and religion who are capable of disagreeing with personal
opinions without resorting to personal insults. I'd like to hear them
elaborate their views, publicly or privately.

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

blenko@rochester.UUCP (Tom Blenko) (08/10/84)

	Mr. Martillo is by far the most arrogant individual I have yet
	run into on this net. He has stated that my disagreement with
	his views DISQUALIFIES me from any input on Jewishness. When
	all those who are deserving of such disqualification are
	eliminated, only those who agree with Martillo will be left.
	(By the way, all of you who feel I ought to be disqualified
	need not read this)

Well, I think I understand your reaction, but I might suggest a
different context in which you might interpret the comments.

Martillo has several time made comments which, I think, reveal his real
view of the world. The most recent I can recall was the statement that
he could not understand why the media referred to Diane Feinstein, the
mayor of San Francisco, as Jewish.

This might, on the one hand, be taken as an objection to the media's
applying that label. In fact, I think it reflects that fact that
Martillo really does not understand why they identify her that way.

In his "attacks", Martillo follows a consistant pattern: group A
incorrectly concludes P, hence they are either ignorant or lacking of
firm moral character. What he means is that he disagrees with P, so
that members of A are either ignorant of the facts (Martillo's
premises) or indisposed to engage in the rigorous discipline of a
(Martillo's) reasoning process.

I claim that, whatever facts are agreed upon, Martillo's method of
reasoning is not the same as everyone else's, and he is unwilling to
acknowledge that there exists any other reasoning process. And that
seems like a very rigid, dogmatic view for him to assume.

He is, it has been pointed out, consistant. That consistancy can be
illuminating of his view, and several readers, as it happens, have
expressed the sentiment that it is a worthwhile thing for his viewpoint
to be represented.

The arrogance arises not from his expressing his viewpoint, but from
his rigid assumption that all worthy persons must use his method of
reasoning, so that people who disagree with him must be, as mentioned
above, either ignorant or (for a variety of reasons he is willing to
suggest) unwilling to reason.  This dismissal of other peoples' ability
to reason competently, as you observe, is not a good basis for an
amicable exchange.

It is clear Martillo comes from a different culture than I come from.
His approach seems very rigid and dogmatic, and to have as a primary
impetus the maintenance of cultural identity.  For him to do otherwise,
he has said, would reflect weakness in his culture.  I don't know if he
does embody its values (i.e., is a successful product of his
upbringing).  If so, I would certainly question his assertions about
the strength of its intellectual tradition (yet can certainly
understand why he makes them :-)).

No one knows what the future course will be, or can be, for this world
in which an increase in cross-cultural contact appears unavoidable,
which is not to say it is a unique, new phenomenon.  The assimilation
Martillo opposes seems like a likely candidate.  But it may be that the
old rules, that the strong will conquer, dominate, and multiply, are
immutable -- in which case Martillo may have the key to survival.

I do find it striking, though, that the greatest atrocities of our
(western) civilization may be attributed to the rise of precisely the
kind of strong cultural identity Martillo adopts.  Perhaps Martillo
feels that it was the failure of other groups to be equally vigorous
that permitted these excesses to occur.  It's unclear to me that we can
continue to think about things that way.

Anyhow, best to prepend to each of his postings the sentence fragment
"It is consistant with the training of Martillo that ".  If one party
is unwilling to respect the other's ability to contribute, you haven't
much of a discussion.  For my part, I think Martillo's attitude/policy
in dealing with others is, at best, an indictment of his own position.

	Tom

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (08/10/84)

Read the damn article!  You specifically state:

An American Jew, for example, is very concerned with the fate and status
of a Jew in, say, the Soviet Union, but still has more  in  common  with
his Gentile neighbor or even with a Baptist from West Texas.

By definition you are not 'oheb Yisrael if you believe this.  Talk about
arrogance.  Its pure hutspah to suggest that either a 'adish Yisrael  or
sone'  Yisrael  has  a  right  to  input  about  the organization of the
community even if he does happen to be accidentally Jewish  (I  did  not
invent  the  concept;  I believe Cynthia Ozick did but she used the term
non-Jewish Jews).

This touches one of my main gripes against Ashkenazim.  For  almost  all
Sefardim  when  they hear or read about the sufferings of Ashkenazim, it
is like it happened to their own families.  When we tell the  Ashkenazim
about  our  sufferings,  for most Ashkenazim we could have been Martians
for all they seem to care.

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (08/13/84)

>Read the damn article!  You specifically state:

>>An American Jew, for example, is very concerned with the fate and status
>>of a Jew in, say, the Soviet Union, but still has more  in  common  with
>>his Gentile neighbor or even with a Baptist from West Texas.

>By definition you are not 'oheb Yisrael if you believe this.  Talk about
>arrogance.  Its pure hutspah to suggest that either a 'adish Yisrael  or
>sone'  Yisrael  has  a  right  to  input  about  the organization of the
>community even if he does happen to be accidentally Jewish  (I  did  not
>invent  the  concept;  I believe Cynthia Ozick did but she used the term
>non-Jewish Jews).

Whether it is desirable to consider me Jewish is a subject of
legitimate discussion and I did not object to you expressing such an
opinion (though I strongly disagree); however, if you are going to
discuss MY Jewishness (or lack thereof), it is unjust to also try and
exclude me from that discussion!

Also, if you read what I did say, you will find no suggestion that
Jewish interests be sacrificed for Gentile interests. What I did say
was that American Jews held more in common (language, enviroment,
politics, etc.) with other Americans than with Jews in other
countries. That does not mean American Jews ought to take the part of
Americans against other Jews. If there is a conflict, we ought to take
the part of whoever is right.

Finally, if you wish to impose strict tests of Jewishness, be aware you
run the danger of turning Judaism into a Phi Beta Kappa of sorts: an
orginization whose primary concern is to decide who deserves the honor
of membership.

>This touches one of my main gripes against Ashkenazim.  For  almost  all
>Sefardim  when  they hear or read about the sufferings of Ashkenazim, it
>is like it happened to their own families.  When we tell the  Ashkenazim
>about  our  sufferings,  for most Ashkenazim we could have been Martians
>for all they seem to care.

This touches one of my gripes against Martillo. Ashenazim are the
whipping boys for all that is wrong in the Jewish world.  Which
reminds me of a question Martillo did not answer. So I will repeat it,
and I would really be interested in a cogent answer:

Martillo, why do you participate in this group? If it is to learn
something from others on the net, why the authoritarian tone? If it
is to teach us something, why the insult and abuse (you can't believe
people are ever persuaded by verbal violence)?

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (08/17/84)

In a jewish philosophy course I took in college I read a passage
>by Maimonides which defined exactly who is a jew.  Unfortunately my copy
>of Maimonides excerps is in another city.   Can someone quote the passage
>(It is probably the most referenced section of his extremely referenced work
>so I think it should be no problem finding it.)
>FLAME:
>Anyway I also suggest that
>if Mr Martillo does not want to consider me to be in the same people as he
>then he is no longer jewish because I am.  I often violate talmudic law but
>that is insufficient to exclude me from Judaism according to Jewish law.
>(I think that even if I were to be excomunicated I would still be jewish
>but am not sure.)  The fact that Mr. Martillo is ashamed of most of the
>Jews of the world (or at least a substantial percentage) should not act to
>confuse people about important facts like just who is a Jew.  Otherwise
>I would not respond to his overemotional postings  (In other words I have
>to be fairly annoyed before I flame).

If David Sher had bothered to read my article, he would have noted I was
not offering a criterion for Jewishness but rather a criterion  for  the
privilege of taking part within the Jewish community.

I  have  Maltese  citizenship.   I  neither  speak  Maltese  nor do I no
anything about Maltese culture.  I have  also  never  lived  within  the
Maltese  community.   I  would  have  a  lot a nerve to try to tell true
Maltese how to run Malta especially  if  on  the  basis  of  my  limited
experience I tried to claim there was no Maltese community.

Joaquim Martillo

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (08/19/84)

>Mr. Martillo is by far the most arrogant individual I have yet run
>into on this net. He has stated that my disagreement with his views
>DISQUALIFIES me from any input on Jewishness. When all those who are
>deserving of such disqualification are eliminated, only those who
>agree with Martillo will be left. (By the way, all of you who feel I
>ought to be disqualified need not read this)

I do not mind disagreement with my  opinions  and  I  do  now  and  then
concede  the  correctness  of other people's opinions.  You may write to
Sophie Quigley or Larry Welsh for confirmation.  Your disagreement  with
my  views  does not disqualify your opinions on how the Jewish community
should define Jewishness but rather your denial of the existence of  the
Jewish  community  which  I  can  affirm does exist.  Apparently in your
limited experience you have  never  had  contact  with  the  functioning
Jewish  community -- probably because most Ashkenazim are no longer part
of the Jewish community.

The denial of the existence of a Jewish community which is  so  easy  to
find  in  New  York,  Boston,  Nashville  and  many  other  cities is an
interesting  example   of   fossilized   Ashkenazi   thought   patterns.
Assimilated  German  Jews  from  the  end  of the 19th century until the
Hitler  years  also  tended  to  deny  the  Jewish  community  and   the
commonality   of   Jewish   experience.    Even  admitting  the  obvious
differences between the Ostjuden (Eastern European Jews) and the  German
Jews,  I  see  no  other community than the Jewish community in which to
place the German Jews.  Certainly they  were  not  part  of  the  German
community.   German  Jewish  voting  patterns  were quite different than
German voting patterns.  German  Jewish  intellectuality  followed  many
different  paths than German intellectuality.  I will concede a very low
opinion of Hermann Kohn, Martin Buber, Franz Rosenzweig, Gershom Scholem
and their whole crowd but having read them I doubt they could have taken
part in the slaughter of a people as easy as most of  their  counterpart
German  intellectuals.   To me this implies an extremely different world
outlook.  Later events in fact showed that the German Jews were part  of
the Jewish community and not part of the German community.

I  have yet to label individuals on the net idiotic, arrogant or moronic
although certainly all these types exist on the  net.   I  have  labeled
opinions  moronic  or  ignorant.  From the standpoint of Judaism limudei
torat moshe (studies of the teaching of Moses) are not  acts  of  piety,
they  are fundamental obligations of all Jews and I have little patience
with  those  Jews  on  the  net  who  show  greater   familiarity   with
intellectual  second raters like Thoreau, Emerson, Mills, Jefferson than
with  intellectual  first  raters  like  Maimonides,  Nahmanides,  Isaac
al-Fasi, Abarbanel, Judah ben Betsalel Loewe (Maharal miPrag), the Vilna
Gaon -- especially when these Jews show simultaneously no inclination to
correct this gross intellectual imbalance.

>Martillo, if the truth is so obvious to you, so writ in stone that no
>discussion can be carried on in good spirit, why do you bother
>participating in this group? It cannot be for your edification, as you
>clearly know it all. It cannot be for our edification, since you respond
>to contrary views with insults and rudeness.

Labeling as insults and rudeness the opinions of those who disagree with
you is a common net tactic.  This tactic  often  covers  up  fundamental
ignorance  which  I suspect is the case here since David Rubin has shown
no familiarity with basic Jewish texts.

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (08/23/84)

>>Mr. Martillo is by far the most arrogant individual I have yet run
>>into on this net. He has stated that my disagreement with his views
>>DISQUALIFIES me from any input on Jewishness. When all those who are
>>deserving of such disqualification are eliminated, only those who
>>agree with Martillo will be left. (By the way, all of you who feel I
>>ought to be disqualified need not read this)

>I do not mind disagreement with my  opinions  and  I  do  now  and  then
>concede  the  correctness  of other people's opinions.  You may write to
>Sophie Quigley or Larry Welsh for confirmation.  Your disagreement  with
>my  views  does not disqualify your opinions on how the Jewish community
>should define Jewishness but rather your denial of the existence of  the
>Jewish  community  which  I  can  affirm does exist.  Apparently in your
>limited experience you have  never  had  contact  with  the  functioning
>Jewish  community -- probably because most Ashkenazim are no longer part
>of the Jewish community.

I never denied the existance of a Jewish community. To do so would be,
as you say, contradicted by fact. What I said was that most American Jews
have more in common with American non-Jews than with Jewish non-Americans.
To say that this denies this existence of a Jewish community requires
that you also believe that any individual can belong to only one
community. I do not hold that supposition to be true, and find no
contradiction in my asserting my membership in both the American and
Jewish communities.

>The denial of the existence of a Jewish community which is  so  easy  to
>find  in  New  York,  Boston,  Nashville  and  many  other  cities is an
>interesting  example   of   fossilized   Ashkenazi   thought   patterns.
>Assimilated  German  Jews  from  the  end  of the 19th century until the
>Hitler  years  also  tended  to  deny  the  Jewish  community  and   the
>commonality   of   Jewish   experience.    Even  admitting  the  obvious
>differences between the Ostjuden (Eastern European Jews) and the  German
>Jews,  I  see  no  other community than the Jewish community in which to
>place the German Jews.  Certainly they  were  not  part  of  the  German
>community.   German  Jewish  voting  patterns  were quite different than
>German voting patterns.  German  Jewish  intellectuality  followed  many
>different  paths than German intellectuality.  I will concede a very low
>opinion of Hermann Kohn, Martin Buber, Franz Rosenzweig, Gershom Scholem
>and their whole crowd but having read them I doubt they could have taken
>part in the slaughter of a people as easy as most of  their  counterpart
>German  intellectuals.   To me this implies an extremely different world
>outlook.  Later events in fact showed that the German Jews were part  of
>the Jewish community and not part of the German community.

German Jews were always members of the Jewish community, and
occasionally members of the German community, too.

>I  have yet to label individuals on the net idiotic, arrogant or moronic
>although certainly all these types exist on the  net.   I  have  labeled
>opinions  moronic  or  ignorant.  From the standpoint of Judaism limudei
>torat moshe (studies of the teaching of Moses) are not  acts  of  piety,
>they  are fundamental obligations of all Jews and I have little patience
>with  those  Jews  on  the  net  who  show  greater   familiarity   with
>intellectual  second raters like Thoreau, Emerson, Mills, Jefferson than
>with  intellectual  first  raters  like  Maimonides,  Nahmanides,  Isaac
>al-Fasi, Abarbanel, Judah ben Betsalel Loewe (Maharal miPrag), the Vilna
>Gaon -- especially when these Jews show simultaneously no inclination to
>correct this gross intellectual imbalance.

All you mentioned were intellectual first-raters.

>>Martillo, if the truth is so obvious to you, so writ in stone that no
>>discussion can be carried on in good spirit, why do you bother
>>participating in this group? It cannot be for your edification, as you
>>clearly know it all. It cannot be for our edification, since you respond
>>to contrary views with insults and rudeness.

>Labeling as insults and rudeness the opinions of those who disagree with
>you is a common net tactic.  This tactic  often  covers  up  fundamental
>ignorance  which  I suspect is the case here since David Rubin has shown
>no familiarity with basic Jewish texts.

You stated that I was not a Jew. You ought not wonder that I took this
for an insult. Your implication that I am ignorant of basic Jewish
texts is a false one. I showed "no familiarty" with basic texts
because discussion is usually hobbled, not enhanced, by reference to
"expert" testimony.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (09/02/84)

>I never denied the existance of a Jewish community. To do so would be,
>as you say, contradicted by fact. What I said was that most American Jews
>have more in common with American non-Jews than with Jewish non-Americans.
>To say that this denies this existence of a Jewish community requires
>that you also believe that any individual can belong to only one
>community. I do not hold that supposition to be true, and find no
>contradiction in my asserting my membership in both the American and
>Jewish communities.

I  usually  consider  a  person's community to be those people to whom a
person feels closest and with whom a person  has  the  most  in  common.
Ruben's  statement here supports my contention that many (probably most)
American Jews do not feel very close to Sefardim and that the  suffering
of Sefardim could be the suffering of Martians for all they care.

David Ruben sees no contradiction in a person being both a member of the
Jewish community and of the American community.  If there should ever be
a conflict between these two affiliations, I am curious how David  Ruben
would resolve it.

>German Jews were always members of the Jewish community, and
>occasionally members of the German community, too.

Given the final fate of the German Jews, I would say rather:

	German Jews were always members of the Jewish community, and
	many erroneously thought themselves to be members of the German
	community.

>>I  have yet to label individuals on the net idiotic, arrogant or moronic
>>although certainly all these types exist on the  net.   I  have  labeled
>>opinions  moronic  or  ignorant.  From the standpoint of Judaism limudei
>>torat moshe (studies of the teaching of Moses) are not  acts  of  piety,
>>they  are fundamental obligations of all Jews and I have little patience
>>with  those  Jews  on  the  net  who  show  greater   familiarity   with
>>intellectual  second raters like Thoreau, Emerson, Mills, Jefferson than
>>with  intellectual  first  raters  like  Maimonides,  Nahmanides,  Isaac
>>al-Fasi, Abarbanel, Judah ben Betsalel Loewe (Maharal miPrag), the Vilna
>>Gaon -- especially when these Jews show simultaneously no inclination to
>>correct this gross intellectual imbalance.

>All you mentioned were intellectual first-raters.

I studied in Europe and can assert that only one or two American
thinkers before the 30s are taken seriously.

>You stated that I was not a Jew. You ought not wonder that I took this
>for an insult. Your implication that I am ignorant of basic Jewish
>texts is a false one. I showed "no familiarty" with basic texts
>because discussion is usually hobbled, not enhanced, by reference to
>"expert" testimony.

I stated that many American Jews are not  genuinely  Jewish  but  rather
accidentally  Jewish (Cynthia Ozick uses the term non-Jewish Jews).  You
posed the question whose Jewish law should be  used  to  decide  who  is
Jewish.   Obviously  this  question  can only be answered in a metalegal
sense.  I merely suggested that a valid criterion  for  those  Jews  who
select  the legal system should be that their primary affiliation (their
community) be the Jewish community.

Ruben repeatedly states many  American  Jews  feel  closer  to  American
non-Jews  than  to  non-American  Jews.   This feeling should disqualify
their input in the selection of Jewish  law.   I  would  hardly  suggest
someone  who feels closest to the French should have input on the choice
of legal system to run the USA.

I do not understand how using Jewish sources hobbles a discussion of the
Jewish legal system.

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (09/02/84)

Date: Sat, 1-Sep-84 23:48:14 EDT

> [...]

I stated that many American Jews are not  genuinely  Jewish  but  rather
accidentally  Jewish (Cynthia Ozick uses the term non-Jewish Jews).  You
posed the question whose Jewish law should be  used  to  decide  who  is
Jewish.   Obviously  this  question  can only be answered in a metalegal
sense.  I merely suggested that a valid criterion  for  those  Jews  who
select  the legal system should be that their primary affiliation (their
community) be the Jewish community.

Ruben repeatedly states many  American  Jews  feel  closer  to  American
non-Jews  than  to  non-American  Jews.   This feeling should disqualify
their input in the selection of Jewish  law.   I  would  hardly  suggest
someone  who feels closest to the French should have input on the choice
of legal system to run the USA.

I do not understand how using Jewish sources hobbles a discussion of the

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (09/21/84)

Mr BenDavid,

Would that it were so that the U.S. was becoming more of a
Christian nation.  What we  are becoming is a secular humanist,
statist, pagan mess with materialism as our chief god.

May Jews be spared assimilation into this sludge.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (09/26/84)

Date: Wed, 26-Sep-84 02:44:50 EDT

w (Mr. Martillo's bark worse than his bite!)

>From ken@ihuxq.UUCP (ken perlow) Sun Feb  6 01:28:16 206

>I think Martillo is wondering why less-than-orthodox Jews would
>*WANT* to decide who is a Jew, not stating that they have no right
>to an opinion.

A  good  point  but not what I am saying.  If a Jews main affiliation is
the Communist party he might help write the party  constitution  but  he
has  no  right to help choose the Jewish legal system.  Likewise, Jewish
communists do not ask rabbis to help write their party constitutions.

>		 As one of those contemptible assimilated dreck,
>my chief concern about who is a Jew is that the world has decided
>that I am one.  Martillo's opinion notwithstanding, I'm very proud
>of my Lithuanian Ashkenazi roots, especially my grandparents'
>involvement in proto-Communist agitation against the czar, and
>a few distant cousins who died in Spain's Abraham Lincoln Brigade.

A  good  example  of an especially silly fossilized mental pattern among
Ashkenazim.  We know now that this protocommunist agitation lead to  the
establishment  of a system in Russia which was even worse for the Jewish
people than the czarist government.  Perlow should be  ashamed  of  this
yihus (lineage).

As  for  the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, any Sefardic Jew can tell you that
this was one of the stupidest activities of Ashkenazim over the past 500
years.   After  what  Spain  did  to  the Jews, only the most moronic or
deluded Jew would involve himself in  Spanish  politics  or  die  for  a
Spanish cause.

Historical  note.   Despite  this  mindless  Ashkenazi  support  for the
anarchists Franco went out of his way to save ~45,000  Jews  during  the
Hitler  years.   Also  after  the  establishment of the state of Israel,
Franco  was  particularly  active  in  helping  Jews  get  out  of  Arab
countries.   Of  course in both cases most of the Jews saved were mostly
Sefardim, so that the typical Ashkenazi leftist would hardly be aware of
Franco's  service  to the Jewish people and might even hold this service
against Franco.

>Martillo believes Jews have an obligation to live off by themselves,
>that we must accept the inevitably disastrous consequences of
>muscling into the rest of society.  Well, you can steer clear of
>bigotry, or you can fight to eliminate it.  It's not clear to me
>that either strategy makes life any easier, not to mention more
>fulfilling.

No,  I  believe  Jews  should  be true to themselves.  Sefardi attitudes
about commitment as a Jew and contributing to a state are different  and
more  correct.   I  suggest  you  acquire  a  biography  of  Don  Yishaq
Abarbanel.  The idea that all individuals who live in a state must  have
the   exact  same  culture,  ways  and  outlook  on  life  is  a  modern
totalitarian  aberration  which  most  Jewish  leftists  have   stupidly
accepted  with  hardly  any  serious  thought  whatsoever.  The constant
attempts of Ashkenazim to prove themselves as Frenchmen  or  Germans  or
Russians  show a lack of pride in their heritage and is self-abasing and
probably invites  non-Jewish  contempt.   No  other  group  puts  itself
through  such  self-contortions.   My  family would never want anyone to
think of them as Arabs.

>Yes, heritage is important.  Martillo is proud that he has dined
>with kings.  And I'm proud that I haven't.

I  noted  the people whom my family entertained merely to point out that
kashrut does not cut Jews off from the world but rather guarantees  that
the  convivial  setting,  which  could most easily lead to assimilation,
occurs only on Jewish terms so that assimilation is prevented -- this is
the  real  reason  Europeans  have  objected  to  kashrut -- it prevents
assimilation i.e. the destruction of the Jewish people.

Just a note about leftist Ashkenazim and social  commitment  in  Eastern
Europe.   The  Ashkenazim  who were involved in leftist and particularly
communist movements were typically members of the most privileged  class
of Jews (unlike my mother's family who were impoverished in Libya).

These  Ashkenazim genuinely wanted to assimilate into Slavic society but
could not bring themselves to convert to Christianity.  Therefore,  they
converted  to  Marxism  or  some other leftist movement which gave these
Jews entry to a segment of non-Jewish society without the  psychological
trauma of conversion.

Granted this segment was a minority, but there were so few Jews in these
countries that numerically there were more non-Jews who would approve of
this break with traditional Jewish society by conversion to Marxism than
there were Jews who could give encouragement and support to  a  Jew  who
wished to uphold the tradition.

The leftist Jews in Eastern Europe had no genuine commitment to help the
poor.  If they did they would have worked with the many Jewish poor (who
were worse off than the non-Jewish poor because of Slavic antisemitism).
Instead, the leftist Ashkenazim ignored the existence  of  Jewish  poor.
In  fact, Rosa Luxemburg denied that there was any special Jewish sorrow
in Poland which in fact had the largest fraction and number  of  utterly
destitute Jews of any country in Europe.

So  Ken,  I  know  your  not  a bad fellow but don't give me any of this
smugness about your family's leftist traditions.  They are a sham.

segs@mhuxv.UUCP (slusky) (10/02/84)

From Yaqim Martillo:
> These  Ashkenazim genuinely wanted to assimilate into Slavic society but
> could not bring themselves to convert to Christianity.  Therefore,  they
> converted  to  Marxism  or  some other leftist movement which gave these
> Jews entry to a segment of non-Jewish society without the  psychological
> trauma of conversion.
>
> Granted this segment was a minority, but there were so few Jews in these
> countries that numerically there were more non-Jews who would approve of
> this break with traditional Jewish society by conversion to Marxism than
> there were Jews who could give encouragement and support to  a  Jew  who
> wished to uphold the tradition.

Somewhat off the topic (I'm getting bored with the topic)
It was my impression that Eastern Europe had a great many Jews at the turn
of the century. I believe that the old Jewish Encyclopedia (not the
Encyclopedia Judaica, but the one published around 1915) quotes an
1890's census showing Poland to be 35-40% Jewish. Can anyone corroberate?
I don't have a copy of that encyclopedia available to check.

I usually find your historical fact to be quite accurate, Yaqim. That's
why I'm surprised at the "so few Jews in these countries" statement.
On the other hand if you're picking and choosing among Jews in 1890
Poland in the same way that you pick and choose among 1984 American
Jews, (which is what started this whole line of articles, isn't it)
I suppose you could come up with a significantly smaller proportion
of "real" Jews.

And speaking of history, I hope you're all watching "Civilization and the
Jews," a series narrated by Abba Eban. Yesterday was the first episode.
Lots of great photography of the Sinai. The second episode will be aired
tonight. It will start from the building of the Second Temple. (The first
started from Sumer) It's on PBS.

					Susan Slusky
					mhuxv!segs
--
mhuxv!segs

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/02/84)

Martillo is very wrong in asserting that Soviet Communists have treated
their Jews worse then the Tsarists did.  Jews in the Soviet Union are
persecuted and surpressed, but Tsarist Russia was only exceeded by
Nazi Germany in its virulent and violent attacks upon Jews.  The worst
Soviet leader (Stalin) was, from a Jewish perspective, equivalent to
one of the less hostile Tsars.  Pogroms do not take place in the
Soviet Union, and nothing apporaching a pogrom has ever taken place
there with the exception, again, of Stalin.

You also commented that Spanish persecution of the Jews following the
expulsion of the Moors makes it stupid for any Jew to involve himself
in Spanish politics.  Would you ignore the plight of a righteous child
because of his father's wickedness?  Perhaps it WAS foolish for Jews
to die for Republican Spain, but the answer lies in that generation,
not half a millenium ago.  For example, while France has a long and
venerable anti-Semitic tradtion, it was very much in Jewish interests
that the 1789 revolution succeed.

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (10/02/84)

> Martillo is very wrong in asserting that Soviet Communists have treated
> their Jews worse then the Tsarists did.  Jews in the Soviet Union are
> persecuted and surpressed, but Tsarist Russia was only exceeded by
> Nazi Germany in its virulent and violent attacks upon Jews.  The worst
> Soviet leader (Stalin) was, from a Jewish perspective, equivalent to
> one of the less hostile Tsars.  Pogroms do not take place in the
> Soviet Union, and nothing apporaching a pogrom has ever taken place
> there with the exception, again, of Stalin.
> 					David Rubin
> 			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

	Well, I am glad to here that pogroms do not take place in
the Soviet Union, Stalin was not as bad as some Tsars, and currently
Jews are only "persecuted and surpressed."   Maybe I'll take my next
vacation in Siberia, I here that the skiing there is pretty good.
Oh, by the way, do you know where I can get a good corned beef
sandwich this Saturday?
	Now I really know what Yaqim means by ignorant-assimilated-
askenazim-dreck.
Shalom,
David S. Green    {ihnp4}!mhuxi!dsg     phone: 201-564-4468

"Of Course I'm Sure...  I read it in PRAVDA!!!"

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/03/84)

In the 1920's, Poland was about 15% Jewish (according to my historical
atlas), so I doubt the figure of 35%-40% for the 1890's is correct.

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (10/03/84)

[]
	My apologies to anyone I may have offended with my last
posting.  I just believe that the current conditions in the USSR
are horrid vis-a-vis Jews.  I believe that the USSR is trying
to destroy the Jewish population, at least spiritually.  I believe
that the cultural destruction of the Soviet Jews has as much, if not
greater, impact upon Klal Yisroel as the pogroms did.
	I regret my sarcasm and lack of sensitivity in responding to
David Rubin.  I *do* have facts ( statistics ) that tend to support
my belief Soviet Jews are being oppressed.  Whether you, as the reader,
agree with my beliefs is a matter of opinion, not fact.
	Again, sorry for my sensitivity, or lack of it.
Shalom (Peace),
David S. Green    ..mhuxi!dsg      201-564-4468

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (10/04/84)

I'd like to reemphasize a point I made in an earlier article.

I did not suggest that Soviet Jews were not oppressed.  What I did say
was that the degree of oppression is less than under the Tsars. I do
not dispute that Soviet policy is to destroy Jewish identity in the
Soviet Union (note that it is Soviet policy to destroy the identity of
all constituent peoples (a.k.a. Russianization); Jews are more
severely treated than most because of Jewish persistence), but the
Communists, unlike the Tsarists, are not using slaughter as a tool.

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (10/07/84)

Date: Sat, 6-Oct-84 23:14:04 EDT

w (Mr. Martillo's bark worse than his bite!)

I  do  not like to reply out of order, but I feel compelled to point out
ignorant, assimilated ashkenazim dreck is not an epithet  which  I  have
used.   In  fact,  if I used it, I would have used ignorant, assimilated
ashkenazi dreck which I would not  say  either  since  I  try  to  avoid
Yiddishisms.   I  have a low opinion of Ashkenazi behavior over the past
300 years, but I will not label the majority of the Jewish people dreck.
One  of  my  grandparents  was  an Ashkenaziah.  While that branch of my
family is the lowest and crudest, they have lately proven susceptible to
levantinization  (some  of  them  have  become Ba`alei Teshubah and have
renounced their leftest VusVus Mapam immorality).

Vocabulary:

Ashkenazi -- refers to Jews whose ancestors accepted  the  authority  of
Rab  Moshe  Isserles, I consider many Ashkenazi practices Christianizing
an opinion also held by Jacob of Emden and Rabbi Moshe Haim Luzzatto  --
which  gives a partial explanation for Jewish assimilation in the USA --
if you are 3/4 there why not go all the way?

dreck -- Yiddish for garbage.

ba`alei teshubah -- returnees [to the normative practice of Judaism]  --
means something different to Ashkenazim than to Sefardim.

VusVus  --  derogatory  epithet  for  Yiddish  speaker  or descendent of
Yiddish speakers.

Mapam -- mindlessly leftist party in Israel -- used to  consider  Israel
and the Soviet Union Jewish homelands.

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (10/07/84)

I  think  we  have  a  confusion  here  between  reported and unreported
brutality  and  slaughter.   The  Czarists  were  brutal  but  were  not
particularly  interested  in  covering  their tracks.  The worst Czarist
slaughter I have read was the Kishenev massacre (~30  people).   Compare
this  to  the  Damascus  massacre (~25 years earlier) of ~50 people in a
city with 1/20 the Jewish population.  The point  is  in  Kishenev  many
witnesses  survived  to  tell  the  story.  With the Soviets as with the
Muslims earlier there were hardly ever any surviving witnesses.  By  the
end of Stalin's regime, there were almost no surviving Rabbis outside of
oriental provinces.  Almost  all  Jewish  intellectuals  (including  all
major  Yiddish  writers)  had been shot by 1952.  Almost every Synogogue
outside of oriental provinces had been destroyed.  To  this  day  Hebrew
instruction is illegal and no school is permitted to function in Yiddish
or Judeopersian.  At least at all time periods under the Czars Jews were
free  to leave.  The Soviets and Czarists have hated Jews and would kill
Jews for that hatred but the Czarists never  considered  maintenance  of
Jewish  identity an executable offence.  The Soviets have and seem to be
moving in that direction once again.

Once again David Rubin shows his fossilized mentality, and is unable  to
accept  that the enemies of enemies of the Jews might also be enemies of
the Jews.  In terms of dissemination of antiSemitic propaganda  and  aid
to  peoples who want to kill Jews the Soviets have surpassed all enemies
of the Jews except for Hitler.

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (10/07/84)

Date: Sun, 7-Oct-84 11:19:35 EDT

w (Mr. MartilSun, 7-Oct-84 08:19:35 PDT

[...]

segs@mhuxv.UUCP (slusky) (10/10/84)

Now all you VusVusim, let's stop beating around the bush about this
"Who is a Jew" business.

Yaqim won't tell you this because of his natural reserve, good
breeding, and politesse, so I'll just have to.

To be a real Jew you have to be

1. Sefardi (bet you guessed that already)

However, just being Sefardi is insufficient. We don't mean descendants
of any of the garbage who hung around Spain too long or became
Maranos we mean

2.Separdi tahor (pure)

i.e. out of Spain before the inquisition really got going. But then
also it's important that one fully understand the breadth of
Jewish experience. Therefore, one must be descended from several
branches or Sefardi culture for example

3. Of Libyan-Turkish-Italian descent

In addition, in order to really grasp the depths of depravity to which
VusVusim have sunk, one should be

4. Of Ashkenazi descent in some small fraction

This is an unfortunate but true requirement for being really Jewish.
In a similar vein, to really be Jewish one should have been

5. Educated at some of the best secular schools in America

and have been

6. Employed for some time at the crown jewel of the Bell System
('alev has:alom)

These are necessary to truly come to grips with the enemy and its ways.
Also, both #'s 5 and 6 are effective at honing one's sense of self
importance and arrogance, as anyone who's worked here can tell you.
In addition, it is important not only to know a lot about Judaism
and anti-Judaism (read westernized Judaism) but also to be involved in
educating the world about J and anti J. Therefore, one should be an

7. Active publisher of normative Jewish thought.

Publication in net.religion.jewish will, of course, suffice.
A last but very important requirement is that one be

8. A real person.

which lets me out.
Unfortunately,  the Jewish population in the world today has dwindled
to such a small group that it is impossible to forsee how it will
continue into the next generation without incest or cloning.

Now that you have been properly informed, I hope that you VusVusim will
go away and form net.religion.vusvus and leave this news group to the
Jews.

					Estrallita Nassim Hmessa Albez
--
mhuxv!segs

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (10/11/84)

Date: Fri, 5-Oct-84 01:02:05 EDT

w (Shame on [detractors of] Mr. Martillo!)

> = David Rubin

>> = Yirmiyahu ben David

Anything Else = Yehoyaqim Martillo

>The following is in response to an article by Yirmiyahu Ben-David.

>>Exception must be taken to some overly simplistic views.  To imagine
>>that loyalties to the various stated entities are always in harmony is
>>indeed most superficial and simplistic. Are the interests in American
>>culture and Jewish culture always in harmony?

>Nations have interests. Neighborhoods have interests. Communities have
>interests. However, I don't see how a CULTURE can have an interest.

I  think  Yirmiyahu  ben  David  was simply careless in translating klal
Yisrael which means the  Jewish  World.   The  Jewish  Community  has  a
culture.   It is not merely a culture.  In fact, as I understand some of
the recent Teshubot from  `Obadyah  Yosef,  a  non-Jew  who  held  David
Rubin's view and claimed to wish to convert to Judaism could not validly
convert to Judaism.

>also do not see why any culture should be unavailable to anyone.  If
>you can only participate in one culture, then millions of liberal arts
>majors have wasted their lives...

There  is  a  world of difference between participating in a culture and
appreciating a culture.  I appreciate Japanese culture and find it  very
attractive   but   as  a  Gaijin  (non-Japanese)  I  could  never  truly
participate in Japanese culture even if I went  to  live  in  Japan  and
succeeded in getting Japanese citizenship -- which is very hard.

Historically,  Jews  have  been  excluded from tenured professorships in
English literature because the current  wisdom  held  that  as  oriental
aliens  Jews  could  neither  truly  participate  or  appreciate English
literature.   In  fact,  European  Jews  achieved  incredible  feats  of
assimilation  in order to participate, but even had they not, they could
have brought an  especially  new  understanding  of  English  literature
because such Jewish scholars would have had a different perspective.

>>Are the interests in
>>American traditions always in harmony with Jewish traditions?

>"Tradition" is a catch-all phrase, which just about covers everything.
>It is also extremely imprecise, especially when discussing American
>"tradition". If the Census asked each American to list the ten most
>important aspects of American tradition, they'd probably get 180
>million different lists.

Actually, from a European perspective there  are  some  readily  obvious
American  traditions  which  are  inherently  in  conflict  with  Jewish
traditions.

Neither Yirmiyahu ben David nor David Rubin understand  the  distinction
between  official  and  civic  religion  but  the  USA  has  always  had
particluarly strong tradition of a civic  religion  which  is  a  benign
expression  of  Northern European Protestantism.  This civic religion is
in conflict with Jewish tradition.

>>Are
>>American interests always in harmony with Israel?

>The implication here is that one cannot be a good Jew without
>consistently supporting Israeli interests.

I do not  understand the logical transition.

>					    However, as has been made
>clear over the last few years, a majority of the Israeli political
>body wishes to exercise national interests as every other state does
>(something like wishing to have a King placed over them, like other
>nations), and consequently Israel, like the U.S., often takes actions
>which I consider to be misguided or immoral. I can be a good citizen in
>the U.S. and still condemn my government's actions, and I can be a
>good Jew and condemn some of Israel's actions.

I  am  curious  which  actions  of Israel David Rubin considers immoral.
Most American Jewish critics of Israel consider Israeli actions  immoral
when   the   actions   disturb  Jewish  assimilation.   In  such  cases,
condemnation of Israel is an expression of not being much of  a  Jew  at
all.   This  is the case for Noam Chomsky, Nat Hentoff, Philip Klutznik,
Arnold J. Wolf, Leonard Fein, Arthur Hertzberg and many others.

>A counter question, then:

>Can I be a good Jew and accept Israel's policies unconditionally?

>One final point: Jewish interests and Israeli interests may not
>coincide all the time, either. Example: in this election, it may very
>well be in Israeli interests to have friendly administration
>reelected, and to increase the influence of the New Right (who are
>strong supporters of Israel). However, Jewish interests may be that
>the New Right be weakened (to prevent public action based on
>peculiarly Christian principle), and thus to defeat Reagan.

Jewish assimilationist are disturbed when the importance of religion  is
stressed.   Actually, while I have a low opinion of Christianity in many
of its aspects, some aspects of Christianity  like  some  of  Islam  are
praiseworthy.   And  making  assimilating  American  Jews  aware  of the
importance of religion may encourage them  to  alleviate  their  massive
ignorance of their own religion.

>>Certainly not. Like it
>>or not, this country is becoming increasingly a Christian nation. Those
>>who blend in and adapt just don't have such a keen awareness of the
>>seriousness or scope of these problems. (I believe the other term for
>>blending in and adapting is called assimilation.)

>I have a keen awareness of being different. However, it does not
>bother me in and of itself. In this country, one is free to be
>different (that, by the way, would lead my list of things I consider
>to be part of the American "tradition").

>The increasing "Christianity" of this nation is an illusion.
>Fundamentalist Christians have become more vocal, not more numerous.

>>Lest the reader try a simplistic reply again, please note that the
>>questions listed are merely representative examples, and are in no way
>>intended as an exhaustive listing of the myriad permutations of potential
>>conflicts among the various interests vis-a-vis Israel, Jews and Judaism.
>>In the event such a conflict arises, where will you stand?

>As I have said before, I will stand with whoever is right. If both
>parties positions are equally legitimate, then I support compromise.
>My opinion is that it is those who cry "My ___ right or wrong!", who
>equate loyalty with servitude, are the ones who are guilty of the
>heinous crime (:-)) of oversimplification.

Given  the  tendency  of  leftist  assimilated  American Jews to slobber
sympathy over the suppression of Arab Muslim nationalism in the Land  of
Israel  shows  that  many  American Jews do not support Israel even when
Israel  is  almost  correct  (the  Israeli   government   dominated   by
non-Orientals  probably errs in leniency).  I increasingly admire Greeks
who stand 100% behind Greece  even  when  Greece  is  wrong  as  in  the
conflict over Cyprus.

>>Unfortunately, I didn't see Mr. Martillo's original article - so I'm not
>>defending it. I am taking issue with some of the criticisms raised. And
>>I also suggest that he must have said something good - and described a
>>shoe which fit and made some wearers mighty uncomfortable? Wherever the
>>reader stands, at least give it some serious thought in formulating your
>>stand. The issue of where you stand in these matters certainly merits
>>that much.

>Shoes which do not fit are the ones which are most uncomfortable. Best
>not to assume.

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (11/30/84)

                             From Ken Wolman
                           Bellcore, Livingston
                                whuxe!ktw
                              (201) 740-4565

       I've observed the discussion of Charlie  Wingate's  comments
       for  some  time  now.  Those comments were at best crass and
       insensitive.  What I find infinitely more interesting is the
       fact that Wingate's comments about "Jew-baiting" drew people
       into/back  into  the  net  who  implicitly  felt  themselves
       attacked.   Is there a moral here?  If so, could it be this:
       That no matter how far away we allow ourselves to move  away
       from  Judaic  belief and practice, what is in our blood will
       draw us back.  Also known as: an attack on all is an  attack
       on one.

       I recall around Tisha b'Av suggesting that Zyklon-B and  its
       purveyors  did  not  differentiate  between a talmid chochem
       from  Kovno  or  Vilna  and  a  Parisian   boulevardier   or
       assimilated  German  who  assumed he was "Jewish by religion
       only."   All  suffered  equally;  perhaps   the   completely
       assimilated  Jew  even  more  than  his  frum counterpart in
       Eastern Europe because the latter might at  least  have  had
       the  concept  of  Kiddush Hashem in his heart and mind.  The
       assimilationist would have had only fear and confusion.   In
       any case, a Jew was a Jew was a Jew.

       If anything coming out of the Shoa can be called "positive,"
       it  might be the lesson that a Jew by birth remains a Jew in
       despite of conversion, non-observance, or scorn  of  his  or
       her  roots  and  birthright.  The legacy remains even if the
       inheritor has no interest in claiming it.

       It is perhaps unfortunate that Jews exist who  can  remember
       their  faith  and  people  only  when  the insensitivity and
       unacknowledged prejudices of gentiles force remembrance upon
       them.  But that is better than no remembrance at all.  It is
       better than acting as the Wicked Son at the seder and asking
       "What  do YOU mean by this?"  When crisis looms, there is no
       YOU, only US.  This identification with  a  people,  history
       and  faith transcends the sectarianism that so often divides
       correspondents on this net.  We are and remain Jews even  if
       we  identify  ourselves  as  Orthodox, Conservative, Reform,
       Reconstructionist,  atheistic,   agnostic,   socialist,   or
       anarchist.

       There are those reading this who may argue that the Negative
       Judaism of the Jew-by-Reflex is inauthentic, is of the "When
       Attacked I'm A Jew" variety without depth or substance,  and
       responds  only  to  the  threat to Judaism, not its enduring
       promise.  Perhaps it is sentimentalism, smacking of the kind
       of stupid romanticizing of "Jewish suffering" perpetrated by
       the poets Sylvia Plath and  John  Berryman,  who  identified
       with  the  suffering but not the faith that made it bearable
       and transcendable. Nevertheless, it is a  place  from  which
       one  may  begin  if  one has the will and desire.  Reflexive
       Jews can often embrace the positive,  affirming  aspects  of
       Yiddishkeit if they--and we--allow it.

       Many have already learned that there is no escape from one's
       blood  and  heritage.  Many have also learned that there may
       be no reason to ever want to escape.

sam1@hounx.UUCP (#E.OBERER) (12/07/84)

it is only the orthodox who refuse accept other definitions of jewish
.
:w
:q

de@moscom.UUCP (Dave Esan) (12/11/84)

> it is only the orthodox who refuse accept other definitions of jewish

I think you have it reversed.  It is only the Orthodox who refuse to
redefine the meaning of Jewish.
				     David Esan (!moscom!de)

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (12/13/84)

> it is only the orthodox who refuse accept other definitions of jewish
> .
> :w
> :q

   to what is this comment referring? could someone please post the
 original article.

  besides, why is it the orthodox who refuse to accept te definition
 of jew. the reform don't accept the orthodox view. it depends on whose
 side you look from.

				Eliyahu Teitz.