[net.religion.jewish] ...

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (12/25/84)

Long quote at end of article.

In the quote their is a claim that the pre-Israel Jews took no pride in
being Jewish.  Ignoring what this exchange was originally about, I
remember something of my Jewish history and most of the stories my
grandmother told me about growing up Jewish in NYC  in the depression.
At no time did my grandmother ever mention lacking pride in being Jewish
or concealing the fact even when they were discriminated against.  I
don't know what it was really like back then I wasn't there.  There
have always been Jews who took no pride in being Jewish there still
are.  There always have been Jews who took great (perhaps too great)
pride in being Jewish, there still are.  Why do you believe that the
situation before 1942 regarding this fact is significantly different
than today.

Oh yes as to why we didn't exercize our political clout before 1942,
before one exercizes political clout one must acquire some.  The
market for political clout generally takes cash not credit (or votes).
The Jewish community had to develop a strong economic base before
significant amounts of energy could be committed to politics.

-David Sher

> Quote at the end of the article.
>

> There was a spiritual victory after the 1948 war, a victory that can be seen
> daily on this net.
>
> Talk to your parents/grandparents about what it was like to live in the
> pre-Israel world.  How the Jew had no pride in being Jewish and how it
> was a subject we tried to hide.  I will not go into the ruses that were used
> to hide one's identity, but taking off the holidays or early for Shabbat
> just wasn't done.  Wearing a magen david or a mezuzah just wasn't done.
> Putting up menorahs in public places just wasn't done.  Excersing
> political clout for the good of the community wasn't done.  Objecting
> to Christmas carols being sung in public school or the creche in the
> public park wasn't done.  We didn't want to anger the goyim.
>
> Today, whether we observe all the mitzvot or not we have a pride in
> being Jewish that was missing before Israel.  There is a spirituall reawakening
> of what was a downtrodden people.  We are searching for the right paths
> out of the quagmire that was pre-1948, using many different paths.  Most
> don't coincide with yours, but they are paths, and that is the spiritual
> victory.
> 					David Esan
>

> > The big difference between 1948 and CHANUKA is seen from theactions
> > taken after the victory. In the miracle of CHANUKA the jews went to
> > the Bais Hamikdash and purified it to serve HASHEM. They had a physical
> > miracle (the winning of the war) and a spiritial miracle (the menora
> > lit for 8 days). However unfortunately in 1948 after the miracles
> > instead of seeking to serve HASHEM the 'state' was created as a
> > 'democracy' with chilul shabbat,abortions,autopsies etc....
> >
> > Although we thank HASHEM for giving us back our land we can not
> > compare this to the days of CHANUKA
> >                                      Asher Schechter
>
> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***

martillo@mit-athena.ARPA (Joaquim Martillo) (12/25/84)

The  problem  with  lack  of  pride,  sycophantic admiration of European
culture and ridiculous self-criticalness is purely  Ashkenazi.  Sefardim
had  loads of pride until the Israeli leftist governments worked to make
them ashamed so that they could better be made to  fit  in  the  leftist
secularist antiJewish culture which the Eastern European Zionists wanted
to make in Israel.

From:  Caracteres Generales del Judeo-Espan~ol de Oriente by  M.L.Wagner.

A footnote pg 6 & 7 by Maurice Fishberg, The Jews, A Study of  Race  and
Environment, London, New York and Melbourne, 1911, pag 108.

There  are  significant  differences  between the two types of Jews when
considered anthropologically, although there is hardly any justification
for  speaking  of  two  distinct races as has been done by some writers.
Neither of the two types can claim special racial purity.  The  Sephardi
type  is  the  one  which  conforms  most to the ideal Jewishj type, and
anthropologically corresponds to the "Mediterranean" race of Ripley,  of
the Race Ibero-Insulaire" of Deniker.  The have generally black or brown
hair, occasionally read and rarely blonde, large black  or  brown  eyes,
seldom,  grey,  and  rarely blue.  In addition to their dark complexion,
they are short of stature and either  dolichocephalic  or  mesocephalic.
The face is oval, the forehead receding, the eyes almond-shaped with the
outer extremity very pointed, while the dark eyebrows are very bushy  at
the  inner  end where they tend to unite over the root of the nose.  The
traditional Semitic beauty, which in women often  assumes  an  exquisite
nobility,  is  generally  found  among  these Jews, and when encountered
among Jews in Eastern  of  Central  Europe,  is  always  of  this  type.
Indeed,  it  is  hard  to  imagine  a beautiful Jewess, who looks like a
Jewess, presenting any other physical type.  It appears that in addition
to  the  delicacy  and  the  striking symmetry of the features which are
often met with, it is also the brilliant, radiant eyes which charm.  The
Spanish  and  Andalusian  women  are said by some to owe their charms to
these beautiful eyes, which are alleged to  have  their  origin  in  the
small  quantities  of  Semitic  blood which flows in their veins.  Their
long, narrow heads often have prognathous faces,  the  upper  and  lower
jaws protruding forward.  The nose is generally narrow, prominent, often
convex, but only rarly of the kind popularly considered "Jewish."   Many
of  them  have  a  rather  large  mouth  with thick lips, expecially the
underlip.

"They are medium-sized, slender, narrow-shouldered, but graceful people,
with a somewhat melancholy and thoughtful  expression.  ***>  Only  very
rarely  is  to  be  seen  a Spanish Jew displaying a servile or cringing
attitude in the presence of superiors, as is  often  to  be  seen  among
German  and  Polish  Jews  [obviously  because  Sefardim  never consider
non-Jews superiors -- ed.]  The Sephardim  are  very  proud,  and  their
sense of dignity manifests itself even in their dress and deportment, to
which they pay scrupulous attention.  These traits which  they  acquired
while  living  for  centuries among the Castilians [I would have said --
which the Castilians picked up from the Sephardim] have been transmitted
to their descendants of to-day." <***

Needless  to say there were many quisling Ashkenazim who were willing to
work for the Yevsektsias in the Soviet Union (Menahem Begin  gives  some
illuminating  descriptions  of  these  disgusting  craven  people in his
writings).  I have yet to find reference to any Sefardi quisling in  the
Yevsektsias.

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (12/31/84)

    Yakim,

			If you have nothing nice to say, don't. I'm sick of your attacks on
 Ashkenazim already. I've live wit them without responding to them long
 enough. If you can find nothing but attacks on Ashkenazim, keep your fingers
 off the keyboard. What do you gain by these diatribes? They help no one and
 only isolate you, and therefore S'faradim in general from others on the net.
 If you want to further the cause of S'faradim, stop knocking Ashkenazim.
 Dayenu.

				Eliyahu.