[net.religion.jewish] Jews and Christians

larryg@teklds.UUCP (Larry Gardner) (01/09/85)

I admit that I have never been a minority and that I do not know very
much about Jewish history.  But do you really believe that all
Christians wish to anniliate Jews?  Yes, Christians desire to "convert" or
spread the Good News, so to speak.  But it can't be by force.  Jesus sure
didn't teach that.

I think their may be a little reverse prejudice toward Christians.

p.s.  Why do Jews have freedom to try eastern religions and various
      other things but are banned from Jesus?

karen alias larryg

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/14/85)

In article <203@teklds.UUCP> larryg@teklds.UUCP (karen?) writes:
||p.s.  Why do Jews have freedom to try eastern religions and various
||      other things but are banned from Jesus?

Where on earth do you get such ideas? If one observes Judaism,
one does not "try" other religions. Of course, we are all free
to choose whether or not we will observe; the existence of free
will is a fundamental part of life. The only distinction
among "other" religions from Judaism's point of view is that
"avodah zarah" is particularly deplorable. The term has no
one exact translation, but at least some rabbis maintain that
certain Christian observances constitute avodah zarah.
I don't know whether eastern religions are avodah zarah or
not, and don't much care. Under Jewish law I am not permitted
to "try" either.

Now, please keep your proselytizing OUT of this newsgroup. Thank you.

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsrgv!lsuc!dave

de@moscom.UUCP (Dave Esan) (01/14/85)

> I admit that I have never been a minority and that I do not know very
> much about Jewish history.  But do you really believe that all
> Christians wish to anniliate Jews?  Yes, Christians desire to "convert" or
> spread the Good News, so to speak.  But it can't be by force.  Jesus sure
> didn't teach that.

Obviously, you know very little about Jewish history.  So why try to argue
on a subject you know nothing about????  Christians have been persecuting
Jews for centuries.  The Crusaders used to kill Jews along the way for
sport or if they got bored.  Jews had to wear distinctive clothing, and
live in tiny areas, named after the first, a section of Rome.  Where do
you think ghetto came from -- Harlem????  Jews were denied most professions,
but were allowed to be moneylenders, until the nobles got too far into
debt and expelled them.  Go back and read your history.  I can't write it
all here.
> I think their may be a little reverse prejudice toward Christians.
Reverse prejudice!!!!!  It's merely the racial memory of persecution,
humiliation, and death.

> p.s.  Why do Jews have freedom to try eastern religions and various
>       other things but are banned from Jesus?

Where, praytell, did you get this tidbit??  Jews can do what they want.
They will be considered an apostate if they become Christian or if
they are Hare Krishna.  The great distaste for a Jew who converts to
Christianity has to do with the relations between the two religions
over the last 1900 years.

Don't you think this discussion should continue on net.religion.  I
do not care about what Paul did or thought.  He too was an apostate.
As a matter of record his group was called "malshinim", and the Talmud
suggests that it is better to be eaten by snakes than to go into their
home.

Go now and learn, and then come back and talk like an intelligent person.

				David Esan (moscom!de)