[net.religion.jewish] Noachic laws

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (12/18/84)

A number of people have pointed out that the list of 7 "universal" laws
from Brunson (or perhaps Yiri, hard to tell without annotation) were what
Jews refer to as the 7 Noachic laws, laws that apply not just to Jews but
to all people.  (Jews having an additional 606.)

To which I would ask:  do you adhere to the 102 Frangelistic laws of the
Bufadelics, laws that apply to other people but not to them?  Or to the
9 Holy Commandments of the Ubizmatists, which apply to you whether or not
you are an Ubizmatist?

The point being:  what right does any religion have to impose arbitrary laws
on people not under its domain?  Do YOU adhere to the laws that other religions
say that you must, even though you are not a member of their sect?

Which brings up the more important point:  to those who would claim I am
attacking Christianity---I am attacking the right of ANY religion to impose
its moral code on those who don't hold to *its* beliefs.  Christianity has
more of a "track record" to point to in this area.  But given an enclosed
environment in which any given religion sees itself as "right", such imposition
(unwarranted as it may be), in areas of religion and of life itself, will
appear.  Look at how some Jews in Israel feel it is a form of "divine destiny"
to usurp the property/land of non-Jews to expand *their* realm because *they*
are Jews.  (A modern day example of America's "manifest destiny", which played
the same "game" with the native American Indians.)

Thus, Christians aren't being "attacked" just as "persecution of their beliefs"
(as some would love to make it out to be), but rather because they feel that
their being the majority/status quo gives them some level of impositional
"rights".  Remember that.
--
"Send the recording back into the medium."	     Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

robison@eosp1.UUCP (Tobias D. Robison) (12/20/84)

(NOTE! Rosen quote at END of this article!)

It is unbelievably important that every religion establish its point
of view about what moral code outsiders are bound to.  The reason for
this is surprising, but easy to understand if you look at history.
People tend to believe, unless instructed otherwise, that outsiders
not adhering to their religion are pieces of dirt to be treated any
which way and cheated/injured/etc when opportunity arises.

Most religions err in failing to specify enough about people's
reponsibilities to outsiders.  I'm not sure that Judaism has gone far
enough!

Nor is it sufficient for a religion to tell its adherents how to treat
outsiders, without stating what is expected in return.  One-sided
expectations don't work.

I think it is not quite fair to say that a religion is imposing its
laws to outsiders, but rather that it is stating how practicing
insiders should judge outsiders.  It is actually impractical to ask,
say, Jews to judge every Buddhist, Catholic, Taoist and Hindi by their
own religions, since most of us know nearly not enough to do so.

  - Toby Robison (not Robinson!)
  {allegra, decvax!ittvax, fisher, princeton}!eosp1!robison

The quote:

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (12/21/84)

> From: rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen)
> Newsgroups: net.religion,net.religion.jewish
> Subject: Noachic laws
> Date: Tue, 18-Dec-84 15:25:58 EST

> The point being:  what right does any religion have to impose arbitrary laws
> on people not under its domain?  Do YOU adhere to the laws that other religions
> say that you must, even though you are not a member of their sect?

Brunson's original article was indeed claiming that everyone should follow
those laws.  This is, as Rosen points out, a bit arrogant.  Let me put the
matter in the proper perspective:  Judaism says that as a *theological*
matter, one need not be Jewish to be "saved" (pick your word here).  If
one is a non-Jew who follows just those seven laws, then one is considered
righteous.  That's a far cry from saying I want to compel you to follow
them; rather, it's a contrast to religions that proclaim that they are
the only path to salvation.

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (12/31/84)

Toby Robison makes some good points about how having a standard for
outsiders actually protects them to some extent.  However, with reference to
the Noachian law, note that it actually legitimizes the prejudice that
polytheists are bad people and it is therefore legitimate to discriminate
against them.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (01/03/85)

It's amazing how, in one breath, the religious believers, in response to
humanist/rationalist/whatever-well-pigeonholed-label-you-wish-to-use
philosophy, say that such a philosophy (involving minimal morality, rational
basis for societal rules, etc.) interferes with other people's/nations'
lifestyles/morality/whatever, because it doesn't allow such societies the
"freedom" to impose whatever rules it likes on individuals.

And in the next breath, they recite the Noachic laws...
--
BRIAN: "No, you've got it all wrong!  You don't have to follow me!  You don't
        have to follow ANYONE!  You've got to think for yourselves! You are

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/04/85)

The Noachic laws are not an attempt to impose religous precepts on
non- or other- believers, but rather an assertion that much of
morality can be derived by universal standard INDEPENDENT of religous
faith.  They are an implicit acknowledgement that men of differing
beliefs can disagree on many moral issues, but that reason and
humanity demand certain behavior of all people.

Dissent to them takes one of two forms:

	(1) Disagreement with the particulars (e.g. propose amendment,
	    omission, or addition to the list).  This, however, does
	    not undercut the justification for such a set of laws.

	(2) Absolute relativism (i.e. the assertion that there are NO
	    universal morals).  This requires not only the repudiation
	    of a divinity, but also the repudiation of ethics as a
	    field of rational endeavor, and thus contradicts both
	    Jewish and Western (a.k.a. Greek) heritages.  From here
	    there is no refuge from force occupying the role of
	    final arbiter of human destiny.

						David Rubin

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (01/05/85)

[In this article, Rich Rosen says:]

> The Noachic laws are not an attempt to impose religous precepts on
> non- or other- believers, but rather an assertion that much of
> morality can be derived by universal standard INDEPENDENT of religous
> faith.  They are an implicit acknowledgement that men of differing
> beliefs can disagree on many moral issues, but that reason and
> humanity demand certain behavior of all people.  [DAVID RUBIN]

An assertion that one particular position on "universal morality" should be
accepted by others who had no say in the formation of the precepts.

> Dissent to them takes one of two forms:
> 	(1) Disagreement with the particulars (e.g. propose amendment,
> 	    omission, or addition to the list).  This, however, does
> 	    not undercut the justification for such a set of laws.

I didn't see the convention during which members of other groups could make
such proposals.  In most cases of such imposed moralities the notion of
such proposals is the furthest thing from the minds of those who formulated
the precepts.  And there's quite a lot to disagree with, there (e.g.,
blasphemy:  as I said before, it's something that we'd be better off REQUIRING
instead of PROHIBITING!).

> 	(2) Absolute relativism (i.e. the assertion that there are NO
> 	    universal morals).  This requires not only the repudiation
> 	    of a divinity, but also the repudiation of ethics as a
> 	    field of rational endeavor, and thus contradicts both
> 	    Jewish and Western (a.k.a. Greek) heritages.  From here
> 	    there is no refuge from force occupying the role of
> 	    final arbiter of human destiny.

What about the middle ground between arbitrary "these-are-the-rules-for-you-
whether-you-like-it-or-not" ideals and absolute relativism?  This reminds me
of Bickford's claims that without a rigid set of theocratic laws, we'd be
reduced to what is described above.  Nonsense!  What about the minimal
rational moral ideals I've described endless times before?  I wasn't the
first to put them forth.  I think this Jewish guy named Yeshua (among others)
said the same thing, although DuBois insists that tolerance of other human
beings had little to do with what was being said.
--
"Those without forms must appear, however briefly, at the Bureau's Astral
 Offices on Nooker Street..."			Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr

tim@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Tim Maroney) (01/05/85)

In a message, with a number you won't remember, but which is stored in the
header above for those who really want to know it, for whatever perverse
reason, probably for some illegal purpose (don't mind me, I just love
digressions), from site "fisher", David Rubin informs us that:

>The Noachic laws are not an attempt to impose religous precepts on
>non- or other- believers, but rather an assertion that much of
>morality can be derived by universal standard INDEPENDENT of religous
>faith.  They are an implicit acknowledgement that men of differing
>beliefs can disagree on many moral issues, but that reason and
>humanity demand certain behavior of all people.

That makes sense only if you ignore the fact that polytheism is expressly
forbidden by the Noachic laws!  It would be pretty hard to make any case
that forbidding polytheism is "not an attempt to impose religious precepts",
wouldn't you say, David?

>Dissent to them takes one of two forms:
>
>	(1) Disagreement with the particulars (e.g. propose amendment,
>	    omission, or addition to the list).  This, however, does
>	    not undercut the justification for such a set of laws.

Agreed.  I have disagreed with the particulars.  So far I have gotten no
specific response, just claims of the sort David made above that it is just
an attempt to provide a general ethical standard.  I am still waiting for
someone to either say that they have decided the polytheistic prohibition is
invalid, or to defend the prohibition on some grounds not derived from
monotheistic dogma and prejudices.

(Incidentally, I disagree with the whole Code of Hammurabi/list of taboos
approach to ethics, which monotheistic systems inherited from ancient
monarchies.  I believe in general principles which should be used to
determine whether any particular act is ethical, not in enumerating the
possible transgressions.  So I would have to say that I disagree with the
whole approach of the Noachic code.)

>	(2) Absolute relativism (i.e. the assertion that there are NO
>	    universal morals).  This requires not only the repudiation
>	    of a divinity, but also the repudiation of ethics as a
>	    field of rational endeavor, and thus contradicts both
>	    Jewish and Western (a.k.a. Greek) heritages.  From here
>	    there is no refuge from force occupying the role of
>	    final arbiter of human destiny.
>
>						David Rubin

This is off the point, since I don't repudiate ethics.  However, a point of
philosophical interest is that the repudiation of universal ethics does not
require the repudiation of a deity, and an acceptance of universal ethics
does not require the acceptance of a deity.  Consider the Buddhist
perspective, particularly as put forth in "The Supreme Net".  If there is a
deity or there are deities, they are just other beings in nature.  Their
existence does not define ethics in any sense -- their opinions are simply
their own opinions.  It is even possible to conceive of a malign, immoral
Creator deity -- although of course his followers would claim that his power
gave some special status to his opinions.  (This is a rather appalling form
of ethics-by-thuggery, also known as "might makes right", and it disturbs me
that forms of it are so widespread.)

Ethical laws are determined solely by the constitution of man and the
universe, regardless of their source.  We are so configured that certain
things cause us pain, others pleasure, and ethics is the means of
eliminating unnnecessary pain and maximizing the pleasure of all.  (By
"pleasure" I mean anything we find desirable, and by "pain" anything we find
undesirable.  Of course, many systems claim that there is "something beyond
this" to the system, as if it were possible for there to be a thing more
desirable than any desirable thing....) The whims of any being, whether
composed of matter, ectoplasm, or wombat hide, have no effect on the nature
of existence, and thus have no bearing on ethics.

It is of course possible to use a monotheistic ethical model without the
ethics-by-thuggery aspect, although in practice this is rare.  Here, the
Creator set the nature of human existence in the act of creation, and thus
knows best the ethical principles of the universe.  Ethics is then reduced
to the study of some book purportedly revealed by the Creator.  Perhaps
unfortunately, study of such books shows that they all contain things which
are most easily attributable to the cultural prejudices of the persons who
claimed revelation, and so one has to pick and choose based on one's own
interpretation and understanding, which is a return to square one.  Here
also the issue of possible malignity of the Creator arises, as well as the
fact that creating something does not imply all-encompassing knowledge of
its nature and behavior (as any programmer knows).
-=-
Tim Maroney, Carnegie-Mellon University Computation Center
ARPA:	Tim.Maroney@CMU-CS-K	uucp:	seismo!cmu-cs-k!tim
CompuServe:	74176,1360	audio:	shout "Hey, Tim!"

"Remember all ye that existence is pure joy; that all the sorrows are
but as shadows; they pass & are done; but there is that which remains."
Liber AL, II:9.

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (01/08/85)

I am evidently guilty of not having phrased myself well.  It is
evident that some particulars of the Noachic law do represent an
attempt to impose a religous standard; however, it is not the attempt
to "legislate" certain religous beliefs that is their fundamental
purpose, but it is (as I originally stated) to establish a universal
morality.   To focus on this law or that is to miss the thrust of the
existance of such a set of laws.  Disagreeing with the results of an
attempt to codify a universal morality ought not detract with the
significance of such an attempt having been made.  The existance of
the Noachic law is both an assertion of universal morality AND an
admission that morality is possible in many other faiths.

						David Rubin

gkm@hou2b.UUCP (G.MCNEES) (01/09/85)

A lot has been said concerning these Noahic Laws.  I would like for
someone to give the Bible references to where these are found.  I've
looked in Genesis chapter 9 and find only that God told man to
replenish the earth and not to kill other men. There is also
something about eating flesh with life in it which is not too clear
to me.  I think that nearly all the people on the net would agree
with the law concerning killing.  As to replenishing the earth, I'd
say we've more than done that!

					Sincerely, Gary McNees

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/10/85)

Just out of curiosity, in relation to that one of the (net-reported) Noachic
laws relating to eating the flesh of a living animal, would the practice
of the Masai of eating/drinking the blood of their cattle as a standard
part of their diet be considered in violation?

By the way, I tried explaining and discussing the concept of these "Noachic"
laws with my wife (a widely-read fundamentalistic Protestant) and a friend who
has had extensive Catholic religious training [spent some time as a monastic
novice before deciding against continuing it]; neither knew anything about
them. I tried finding references to them in the passages about Noah in both the
King James Version Bible and a Torah, and found nothing at all. Later net
traffic has referred to them as "Talmudic", which I guess in this case
means they came from other sources. So are they really more than a "folk
tradition" or do they have any justification in Torah?

One last point -- what should the Jewish attitude be to members of a culture
whose customs violate these laws, or to individuals who do so personally?
(I keep thinking of some famous Chinese banquet dish of a fish which is
still alive at the head end, but which is fried at the tail... Seems just
what the one law is talking about...) Does not adhering to these laws make
them less than human? Or just people to be avoided as bad influences? Or what?

Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

hedrick@topaz.ARPA (Chuck Hedrick) (01/11/85)

> By the way, I tried explaining and discussing the concept of these "Noachic"
> laws with my wife (a widely-read fundamentalistic Protestant) and a friend who
> has had extensive Catholic religious training [spent some time as a monastic
> novice before deciding against continuing it]; neither knew anything about
> them.

Try Gen 9:1-17.  After Noah came out of the Ark, he made a covenant with
God.  Everyone remembers that God promised not to flood the earth again.
Not so many people remember that a covenant has two sides.  The things Noah
promised are the "Noachic laws".  They are known among Christian scholars
because they were involved in the first-century debates over what laws
Christians had to obey.  As you may recall, some Christians felt that
Christianity was a sect of Judaism, and all new converts should obey the
entire Mosaic law.  Paul argued that this was not necessary.  The compromise
was that Gentile Christian converts would be bound by the Noachic laws but
not the Mosaic ones.  At the time, Jews apparently considered that the
convenant with Moses applied only to Jews, but the covenant with Noah
applied to all men.  The reason is that only the Jews are decendants of
Moses, but everyone is a descendant of Noah.  Act 15:19-21 records this
decision.  This did not apply to Jewish Christians, who were still
expected to obey the law of Moses.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (01/11/85)

> Try Gen 9:1-17.

WHERE in Genesis 9: 1-17 are these seven laws explicitly listed? THAT's
where I was looking! I found some vague references, some of which could
be twisted around until they corresponded to a few of the seven stated
laws, but not all of them.

(I'm doing this by memory; I don't have a Bible or Torah handy here at
work, but I seem to recall your citation as being where I was reading.)

Will

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (01/15/85)

    quote (short) at end.

	I don't know why you think all Jews are descendants of Moses because
 they aren't. They are all descendants of Jacob.

			Eliyahu Teitz.