[net.religion.jewish] Who is a *

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (02/07/85)

[Here I go again, Mr. Golem of Chelm]

> As far as causing "sinas chinum" the talmud tells us that it
> is a mitzvah to hate "reshoim". So don't try to use any
> misplaced "tsidkus" for the distorters of our holy religion.
>                                       Asher Schechter

Can you please enlighten me as to where the Talmud says "it is
a mitzvah to hate reshoim".
And in what context is it said?

Subject: Re: Who is a *
Newsgroups: net.religion.jewish

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (02/08/85)

> [Here I go again, Mr. Golem of Chelm]
>
> > As far as causing "sinas chinum" the talmud tells us that it
> > is a mitzvah to hate "reshoim". So don't try to use any
> > misplaced "tsidkus" for the distorters of our holy religion.
> >                                       Asher Schechter
>
> Can you please enlighten me as to where the Talmud says "it is
> a mitzvah to hate reshoim".
> And in what context is it said?

A good  question,  but  an  adequate  answer  would  be  long and
complicated.    "Rasha"  has  different  meanings,  even  withing
halacha.  We need  to  be  careful  about  going  overboard  with
heterim  for  hatred,  loshon hora etc. The offenses are serious.
In practice, a COMPETANT Rav should  be  asked,  not  second-rate
experts, on this net or elsewhere.

To stimulate some study (and hopefully to cool flaming)  I  quote
from  the Mishneh Bruruah and Biur Halacha (both from the saintly
Chafetz Chaim)  in Siman Aleph of the Shulchan Aruch.

The Shulchan Aruch states that one should  be  ever-conscious  of
the  Creator's  presence and not be embarassed if people scoff at
his service of G-d (e.g., doing mitzvas).

The Mishneh Brurah explains  [loose  synopsis]  that  one  should
never  refrain  from  mitzvas  because  of scoffers but he should
consider avoiding confrontation.  If they are  bigshots  whom  he
won't  impress,  it's preferable to avoid them . If however, they
can be influenced by his  example he should practice the  mitzvah
in their presence (without stuffing his ego).

The Biur Halacha expands  ...In the above  case  the  mitzvah  is
personal and the harassment is directed at the individual.  Then,
of course, he should ignore them and  avoid  futile  confrontion.
(The capitalized continuation below is close to literal)

"BUT IF
  1.  HE IS IN A PLACE WHERE EPICURSIM  (heretics)  RISE
      UP AGAINST THE TORAH AND WANT TO INTRODUCE PUBLIC
      WHICH WOULD TO DRAW OUR PEOPLE AWAY FROM G- D'S WILL,

AND

  2.  HE  APPROACHED  THEM  IN PEACE AND THEY REFUSED TO LISTEN

THEN

       THIS CASE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, AND THE PREVIOUS DISCUSSION
       DOES NOT APPLY. HERE, IT IS A MITZVAH TO  HATE  THEM AND TO
       FIGHT WITH THEM AND TO DEFEAT THEIR PLOT BY ANY MEANS - AS
       DAVID HAMELECH (King  David)  OF  BLESSED  MEMORY SAID:

          I WILL FIGHT, WITH ULTIMATE HATRED WILL I HATE THEM ...
          (Psalms)' "

Please remember that this is just a source, by it's a broad subject.

					Yitzchok Samet

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (02/08/85)