[net.religion.jewish] Writing from right to left

naiman@pegasus.UUCP (Ephrayim J. Naiman) (01/23/85)

<munch, munch>

Did anyone ever hear of a reason why Hebrew is written from right to left ?
(Is it possible that G-D is a lefty !!! :-))
--

==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, ahuta, maxvax, cbosgd, lzmi, ...]!pegasus!naiman

ghs1@ihn5l.UUCP (Gary Sitzmann) (01/24/85)

The reason that I heard for writing Hebrew right to left is
that the language was started before parchment was used and
stone tablets were the standard.  It is awfully hard for
righthanders to chop on the stone left to right
Languages like Greek, Latin, and English
were written left to right because their language became
a written language when use of parchment became common and
it is easier for righthanded people to write on parchment left
to right.  (Lefties don't have it easy in either case though).

Gary Sitzmann -- ihnp4!ihn5l!ghs1
Local Area Network Group -Indian Hill Computation Center
AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois  60566
(312)979-6067

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (01/24/85)

In article <128@ihn5l.UUCP> ghs1@ihn5l.UUCP (Gary Sitzmann) writes:
||	 (Lefties don't have it easy in either case though).

Who says? I'm a lefty. I always write Hebrew on paper, and
use my stone tablet for writing in English (whenever I write
anything other than on a terminal, that is).   :-)

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsrgv!lsuc!dave

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Barry Gold) (01/25/85)

The way I heard it, languages that originated (or were heavily influenced
by languages that originated) by being carved are written backwards from
the way used by languages written with a brush and ink.  It all has to do
with the fact that most people are right-handed -- and like being able
to see what they've just carved in stone or clay or just scribbled.  A
carver holds the mallet in his right hand and the inscribing tool in the
left hand, and therefore moves leftward.

There was a changeover period when some languages (Greek among them) used
the so-called oxplow method in which lines were written alternately
rightwards and leftwards, just as a farmer plows.

--Lee Gold

stan@hou2f.UUCP (S.GLAZER) (01/25/85)

	So why do the Chinese write from top to bottom?

					Stan Glazer
					AT&T-Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ
					hou2f!stan

arnold@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Ken Arnold%CGL) (01/26/85)

In article <128@ihn5l.UUCP> ghs1@ihn5l.UUCP (Gary Sitzmann) writes:
>Languages like Greek, Latin, and English
>were written left to right...

I can't speak for Latin, but Greek was not written exclusively left
to right.  It was also written right to left and "plow" fashion (i.e.,
alternate lines written right-to-left and left-to-right back and forth
across the page like a plow in a field).  There may have been a tendency
towards one method or another in any given vicinity, and a tradition of
one style in a given field (such a engraving or poetry), but all were
known and used at various times.

		Ken Arnold
--

		Ken Arnold
Of COURSE we can implement your algorithm.  We've got this Turing

schechte@csd2.UUCP (asher schechter) (01/28/85)

I was always under the impression that the Hebrew Language was created
by G-d and not by man. The only word in Loshon Hakodesh are those words
that are used in the Bible. The Bible was written by G-d before the
creation of the world. This would leave the previos answers which
use man as the reason for writing Hebrew from right to left wanting.

There must be some mystical reason that I don't know for this
phenomenon.

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (01/28/85)

> 	So why do the Chinese write from top to bottom?
> 					Stan Glazer
Japanese and Chinese write bottom to top (although modern times have seen
variations, such as top to bottom, particularly in commercial signs) due
to scrolls.  Held on two rods, one in each hand, one column at a time is
revealed as the book is transferred from one rod to the other.  It would
appear from other discussions of late that the writing styles follow the
implements used to write....
Nemo

ellis@spar.UUCP (Michael Ellis) (02/07/85)

>Japanese and Chinese write bottom to top (although modern times have seen
>variations, such as top to bottom, particularly in commercial signs) due
>to scrolls.

Referring to `Chinese Calligraphy' (Chiang Yee, Harvard University Press),
I can find NO example that runs bottom-to-top, and that's going back to
approximately 2000 B.C., when the characters were etched into animal bones.

Top-to-bottom, with columns arranged right-to-left is the classic way of
writing Chinese characters; the left-to-right with rows running top-to
bottom, European-style, is also common.

Recently I've become interested in Hebrew. Unfortunately, I've never
seen anyone write Hebrew characters, so my letters are quite ugly. Are
there any general rules for drawing the script? Do you usually start
at the upper left or the upper right of a letter? Take, for instance,
the word \b're:shiyth\. Would most people write its strokes in the
order that I have guessed?

  1            1      5    3    1     3      1      1             1
  ########    ##     #### ###  ###    #     ###     #########     #######
 ##########  #####   #### #### ###    ##    ####    ##########   #########
 ##########  #####   #### #### ###   ####   #####   ##########    ########
  #########   ####   #### #### ###   #####   ####    #########    ########
  3       #   ####    ##   ##   ##    #####   ##             #          ##
  #       #      #        #     #      ####### 2             #           #
  #       #      #   #    #     #      4######               #           #
  #       #     2    #   ##    #      #  ######              #           #
  #       #          #   #     #      #   ######             #           #
  ##      #          6  #     ##      ##   ######            #           #
  ##      #           #4    ###       ###    ####            #           2
5###4     #           #########       ####    ###            #    #########3
 ####     #           ########        ####     ##            #   ##########
 ####     #           ########        ####     #             #  ##########
 ####     2           2#######       5###      4             2  4#########

Of course, I'm writing the letters from right to left!

Also, I have real problems with the pronunciation. To the best I can
determine, Ancient Hebrew had the sound system below:

CONSONANTS

                labial  dental  alveolar        velar   gut.    glottal

unvoiced        p/ph    t/th    T               k/kh    q
                pey     taw     teyth           kaph    qowph
voiced          b/bh    d/dh                    g/gh
                beyth   daleth                  giymel
u.affricates                    ts
                                tsadhey
u.fricatives                    s       sh              x       h
                                samekh  shiyn           xeyth   hey
v.fricatives                    z                       ?       :
                                zayin                   ?ayin   :aleph

                                   l                r
                                   leemedh          reysh

{The pairs _/_h seem to have been allophonic in Biblical times; I don't know
about today. Also \shiyn\ can represent another `s' sound, about which I
know little. ?ayin and :aleph are a wild guess in this chart..}

VOWELS/SEMIVOWELS/DIPHTHONGS

                y       w

        iy      i       u       uw
        ow      oo      ee      ey
                o       e
                  aa a

..and finally the the schwa (') with its 3 varieties (E A O)

I'd be interested in knowing anything about these sounds either in ancient
times or today, particularly ayin, aleph, heth, he, qoph and teth (?ayin,
:aleph, xeyth, hey, qowph, teyth in the phonetic representation here).

I've never seen a text that was clear on these points!

-michael

segs@mhuxv.UUCP (slusky) (02/08/85)

<quote at end>
Most people don't write Hebrew the way it's printed. There's a whole different
script that's used for handwriting. There may be adult oriented books that
show Hebrew script as opposed to printing, but the only book at my house
that shows it is a children's book called the Alef-Bet Zoo published
by K'tav in New York. Some of the script letters are very similar to
their printed counterparts. Others are pretty much unrelated looking.
All the script letters are one or two stroke symbols and it's pretty
obvious from looking at them how to write them.

As to the sounds, I'm familiar with the way Hebrew is pronounced,
but I'm not familiar with your linguistic terminology, so maybe
someone who understands you can answer that.

Susan Slusky

--

albert@harvard.ARPA (David Albert) (02/08/85)

> Recently I've become interested in Hebrew. Unfortunately, I've never
> seen anyone write Hebrew characters, so my letters are quite ugly. Are
> there any general rules for drawing the script? Do you usually start
> at the upper left or the upper right of a letter? Take, for instance,
> the word \b're:shiyth\. Would most people write its strokes in the
> order that I have guessed?

The letters you used were the "printing" letters as opposed to the
"handwriting" letters; the two alphabets are distinct, and, at least
in Israel, the printing alphabet is handwritten only by children in
the first grade, after which, with virtually no exceptions, everyone
uses the handwriting alphabet.

Although it is hard to formulate a general handwriting rule because
the letters are each so different, semicircular parts of the
letters are generally drawn in a clockwise motion.  Thus, for instance,
the letter 'shin', which when handwritten looks very much like the
letter 'e', is written in the reverse manner from the way one usually
writes an 'e' in English.

--
"...sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things
before breakfast."

David Albert
ihnp4!ut-sally!harvard!albert (albert@harvard.ARPA)

jlg@lanl.ARPA (02/08/85)

> >Japanese and Chinese write bottom to top (although modern times have seen
> >variations, such as top to bottom, particularly in commercial signs) due
> >to scrolls.
>
> Referring to `Chinese Calligraphy' (Chiang Yee, Harvard University Press),
> I can find NO example that runs bottom-to-top, and that's going back to
> approximately 2000 B.C., when the characters were etched into animal bones.

There's a good reason for writing from top to bottom if you're using ink -
your hand doesn't rest on characters that you've already completed (but may
still be wet).  If you write left to right and are left-handed you may rest
your hand above the current line, but left-handers are comparatively rare.

J. Giles

By the way, I just posted this note to net.rec.photo:

> > -----------------------------
> > Believe it or not, Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (Merriam-Webster,
> > 1983) lists "lens also lense".  I was amazed.  I still wince when I see the
> > less-standard form.
>
> It was probably always spelled 'lense'.  Daniel Webster himself probably
> introduced the 'lens' spelling as part of his spelling reform campaign.
> A way of testing this is to ask our British readers which spelling they
> use most - the british remain mostly immune to Websterisms.

So, what about it?  Is this one of Webster's changes?  I don't know where
to look to find out.

smb@ulysses.UUCP (Steven Bellovin) (02/12/85)

One other point -- the printed Hebrew letters are designed to be painted
rather than written.  A good way to produce many of the letters is to
place a piece of chalk vertically against a blackboard.  Down-strokes
will be fairly narrow, horizontal strokes quite thick, etc.

berger@aecom.UUCP (Mitchell Berger) (02/14/85)

> I was always under the impression that the Hebrew Language was created
> by G-d and not by man. The only word in Loshon Hakodesh are those words
> that are used in the Bible. The Bible was written by G-d before the
> creation of the world. This would leave the previos answers which
> use man as the reason for writing Hebrew from right to left wanting.
>
> There must be some mystical reason that I don't know for this
> phenomenon.

no, it just means that He is a lefty    :-)(-:
                                           michab

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (02/15/85)

>> > Believe it or not, Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary (Merriam-Webste
>r,
>> > 1983) lists "lens also lense".  I was amazed.  I still wince when I see the
>> > less-standard form.
>>
>> It was probably always spelled 'lense'.  Daniel Webster himself probably
>> introduced the 'lens' spelling as part of his spelling reform campaign.
>> A way of testing this is to ask our British readers which spelling they
>> use most - the british remain mostly immune to Websterisms.
>

>So, what about it?  Is this one of Webster's changes?  I don't know where
>to look to find out.

The Oxford English Dictionary (compact Edition) gives only "lens",
from the Latin "lens" a lentil, from the similarity of shape.
There IS a word "lense", meaning to make or become lean, to macerate.
Perhaps Webster put an "e" on for the benefit of American readers:-)
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

schwadro@aecom.UUCP (02/15/85)

I'd comment on your pronunciations, if I knew whose traditions you were
commenting.Each of the 12 tribes had there own pronunciation, and during
the interveaning years the language has digressed from that. Many
different minhagim (traditions) exist as to what "correct" pronunciaton.
For example:
	the kamatz is oo as in boot to galitzian descent
	              uh as in but to ashkenazik tradition,
	and is pronounced as 'ah' (hot) by s'phardim.
        the tsadi is ts to ashkenazim
        but an emphatic s/z to a person with teimani roots.
	etc....

Hope to be of assistance.
                           May you never develope a moebius mind,
		              michab