[net.religion.jewish] Torah Articles - a proposal.

naiman@pegasus.UUCP (Ephrayim J. Naiman) (02/15/85)

<munch, munch>

I am posting this article for a friend please edit your to line if you
reply so that they go to him (his address is at the end of the article).

----------------- begin edited forwarded message ----------------
>From gth Thu Feb 14 16:53 EST 1985 remote from erc3ba
To: pegasus!naiman

	The following is an idea that I have been thinking about and
would like to present to the net.jewish community to determine the
interest or opposition to it. Basically, it is to present a weekly short
to medium length (50-200 lines) dvar torah on the parshat hashavua (
torah based article(?) on the weekly torah reading portion). I see this as
a joint effort by several people who will take the time (about once a
month each for four people) to put together this dvar torah and post it
to the net. The Subject field will be agreed upon, so it will be easy
for anyone not interested to simply n-key over the article with minimum
effort.
	I do not wish to get involved in any way with the censorship
issue that is flaming away in the stargate or headhunter issues. While
this group remains free and uncensored, unmoderated etc., I am
suggesting that this particular posting be in accordance with the
orthodox halachic tradition. In order to accomplish this and prevent one
week four articles from being posted and then nothing for the next
month, there need be something akin to a moderator, whose main task
would be to make sure one person writes each week. I am not suggesting
that anyone be prevented from submitting anything they please to the
net. I am simply trying to find out if there are people out there who
would like to see an article of "Divrei Torah" once a week, who may be
interested in submitting "Divrei Torah," and that those who differ with
halachic Judaism are willing to n-key or read as they please without
flaming or attacking.
	I am willing to put together a "D'var Torah" about once a month and
to coordinate the effort. I think that at least 3-4 other people willing
to write every 4-8 weeks woulkd be needed to make this a reality. There
would also have to be at least 10-15 people interested in reading a
weekly "D'var Torah" to make it worthwhile.
	My site is not currently in a post mode to the net, so this is
being posted for me. Please send any responses, comments,suggestions,
flames etc. to me. We do get the news, so any replies to the net will
also get to me. I will collect all responses by email and the net for two
weeks and then summarize and start in progress if the response is
favorable. If the response and suggestions or questions warrant it, I'll
post an update next week.

Avi Feldblum
uucp: {allegra, ihnp4}!pruxa!ayf

-------------------- end of forwarded message --------------------

--

==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, ahuta, maxvax, cbosgd, lzmi, ...]!pegasus!naiman

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (abeles) (02/15/85)

> 	The following is an idea that I have been thinking about and
> would like to present to the net.jewish community to determine the
> interest or opposition to it. Basically, it is to present a weekly short
> to medium length (50-200 lines) dvar torah on the parshat hashavua (
> torah based article(?) on the weekly torah reading portion). ...
>                                                           ... I am
> suggesting that this particular posting be in accordance with the
> orthodox halachic tradition. ...
>                                ...   and that those who differ with
> halachic Judaism are willing to n-key or read as they please without
> flaming or attacking.
>
> Avi Feldblum
> uucp: {allegra, ihnp4}!pruxa!ayf

You basically have two options, Avi.  One is to establish a private
mailing list of recipients for the articles.  Another is to open it
up to the entire net.

I have long on this net advocated that those traditional Jews such as
yourself (note to readers: we are personally acquainted) should show
others by example.  However, the interest has been too low up until
now on the part of people like Teitz and Martillo.

You cannot reasonably expect all people to agree with your point of
view, so I find your last suggestion above to be out of line.  This
is not the Kollel in Lakewood (or Breuer's in Washington Heights);
we allow diversity of opinion here and if you don't feel that others'
opinions are equally legitimate then this is probably not the right
option.  A private mailing list would be better, and incidentally,
I would like to be on it.

However, as a practical matter I don't think you will encounter much
difficulty if you post articles on parshat hashavua.  Again, in general,
I would prefer that rather than telling others what to do, other Orthodox
Jews would show by example in non-coercive style what their point of
view is.  You might even catch more flies with honey than otherwise.

--J. Abeles
mhuxm!abeles

arig@cvl.UUCP (Ari Gross) (02/17/85)

> [...]
> weekly "D'var Torah" to make it worthwhile.
> 	My site is not currently in a post mode to the net, so this is
> being posted for me. Please send any responses, comments,suggestions,
> flames etc. to me. We do get the news, so any replies to the net will
> also get to me. I will collect all responses by email and the net for two
> weeks and then summarize and start in progress if the response is
> favorable. If the response and suggestions or questions warrant it, I'll
> post an update next week.
>
> Avi Feldblum
> uucp: {allegra, ihnp4}!pruxa!ayf
>

> -------------------- end of forwarded message --------------------
>
> --
>
> ==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
> Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, ahuta, maxvax, cbosgd, lzmi, ...]!pegasus!naiman

EXCELLENT PROPOSAL. I would be very much interested in both reading
divrei torah on the parsha and contributing.

                                           Ari Gross
                                           arig@cvl.arpa

li51x@sdcc3.UUCP (li51x) (02/18/85)

TO: Avi Feldman et al:
Sounds like a good idea.  Perhaps, though, there are enough other
published d'vrei Torah on the weekly portion, that it might be useful to post
these sources in advance and THEN have a discussion on several key points which
the weekly moderator would oversee. Another idea, would be for us to
share whatever D'vrei we've heard during the prior Shabbos.  This is
not to usurp your idea; merely to let you know where my interest
would lie.
ALSO--does anyone know if one needs to include a B"H at the
beginning of electronic transmissions? (I shall also ask my local
rabbi).
WHY NOT?--a bit of a flame--why assume to exclude non-halachic Jews or
non-Jews from observing (or even participating in an agreed upon
manner) a discussion of the parsha?
--Michelle

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (02/19/85)

I think that a torah reading and discussion would be of benefit to the
net.  Though many people myself included don't follow the hallacha (I
hope I'm pluralizing correctly) never the less even we would be interested
in learning about them.  While I am not sure that flames ever hurt anyone,
if you post to the net you will spark some discussions no doubt among the
less learned (such as myself).  I can not see this as being anything but
to the good.  If you start a mailing list then please include me but my
vote is for sending it to the net.  This is also a way to reach new
readers spontaneously with the hallacha.
-David Sher

arig@cvl.UUCP (Ari Gross) (02/21/85)

> ALSO--does anyone know if one needs to include a B"H at the
> beginning of electronic transmissions? (I shall also ask my local
> rabbi).

> --Michelle

Good question. Offhand, I would suggest that it's better not to since Rav
Moshe Feinstein says not to write it on top of a letter that will be
ripped up,trashed,etc. I think that most people (I know that I certainly do)
delete part of a posting to the net when responding to it and therefore will
come to erase those letters, which convey His name and should not be
erased.
                                          Ari
                                          arig@cvl.arpa

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (02/25/85)

> > ALSO--does anyone know if one needs to include a B"H at the
> > beginning of electronic transmissions? (I shall also ask my local
> > rabbi).
>
> Good question. Offhand, I would suggest that it's better not to since Rav
> Moshe Feinstein says not to write it on top of a letter that will be
> ripped up,trashed,etc. I think that most people (I know that I certainly do)
> delete part of a posting to the net when responding to it and therefore will
> come to erase those letters, which convey His name and should not be
> erased.

	I never really understood what the purpose of writing B"H ( B'ezrat
 Hashem, with the help of G-D ) on the top of a paper was for? What does it
 accomplish? And, what is wrong with tearing up a paper with an abbreviation
 on it? The abbreviation has no inherent holiness, so that it should not be
 erased. Surely, you don't think it has the same sanctity as the name of G-D,
 which shouldn't be erased.

				Eliyahu Teitz.