[net.religion.jewish] Jewish state vs. state for Jews

jho@ihuxn.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (03/04/85)

Sharon Levy writes:
>I believe in Israel as a state for Jews in which total religious freedom
>is given to all, and particular care is taken so that Jews can practice
>their religion freely   This  does not mean that one group of people
>should impose there views on others.   Although I am a practicing Orthodox
>Jew, it bothered me that in most communities Shabbos is forced on people,

This is one of the very few instances, I have heard an Orthodox Jew
stating that he opposes the imposition of religion on secular Jews.  If
all orthodox Jews in Israel had such attitude towards their fellow Jews,
we would not have the constant friction between the orthodox and the
secular Jews in Israel.  Unfortunately, this is not the case.

The religionists in Israel feel that it is their duty to shove
their religion down the throats of secular Jews.  To illustrate my
point, I will quote from an article which was published in the Israeli
Hebrew daily Ha'aretz in February 1962.  The article appeared in a
special newspaper supplement issued by (and paid by) the Ministry
of religious affairs in Israel.  The article is in a form of an
interview with the Israeli Minister of religious affairs (of that
time), Dr. Zerach Varhaftig.  In the interview Dr. Varhaftig spells
out the religionists program of religious coercion for the secular
segment of the Jewish Society in Israel.  Remember, Dr. Varhaftig
is a member of the "moderate" National Religious Party.

In the article titled: 'The Religion and the State', Dr.  Varhaftig
discusses the religionists philosophy of imposing the religious marital
laws, Shabbat laws, etc on secular Jews.  The following quotes
reflect the essence of Varhaftig's message.

Dr Varhaftig said: (translation from Hebrew)

"According the religious concept, every Jew is a religious Jew.
The fact of him being a Jew  makes him religious...."

Later he says:

"We think that every Jew has a Jewish affinity (zika), however,
his negative desires* (itzro) destroys his mind.  If a law comes,
and restricts his (the Jew) susceptibility to his negative
desires, his positive passion (regesh tov) will be awakened.
And it will begin with coercion and end with desire (t'chilato
b'o'nes v'sofo b'ratzon)."  [This means that they will first
shove their religion down the throats of the secular Jews,
and later the secular Jews will love it.]
_____________
* negative desires (ye'tzer) in this context means not obeying
  the Jewish religious law.

Members of the National Religious Party (and I assume also Dr.
Varhaftig) signed the Israeli Declaration of independence.  The
declaration contains language supporting the freedom of religion
for all Israelies.  Apparently, the religionists in Israel think
that freedom of religion does not apply to Jews in Israel.
(Unless you interpret freedom of religion as imposition of religion).

I would appreciate your public comments.  I am especially interested
in the views of the orthodox netters.
--

Yosi Hoshen, Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois, (312)-979-7321, Mail: ihnp4!ihuxn!jho