[net.religion.jewish] After life

naiman@pegasus.UUCP (11/13/84)

<yum, yum>

A while back somebody asked for Judiasm's philosophy on After Life.
Did anyone answer it ?
--
==> Ephrayim J. Naiman @ AT&T Information Systems Laboratories (201) 576-6259
Paths: [ihnp4, allegra, hogpc, maxvax, cbosgd, lzmi, ...]!pegasus!naiman

yiri@ucf-cs.UUCP (Yirmiyahu BenDavid) (11/13/84)

If no one else answers reasonably well, I will try to review and
research a bit and provide some general ideas if it can wait until the
winter break. If the question is still not answered satisfactorily at
that time please bring it up again or mail me a reminder.

mcdaniel@uiucdcsb.UUCP (11/20/84)

I posted the original question.  I received exactly one (1) reply, by
private mail.  (I wonder why there were no more replies -- was I
offensive? was it a simple-minded question?)  Anyway, here's an excerpt:

From ihnp4!ihuxs!megann Sun Oct 28 00:04:03 1984
Apparently-To: !uiucdcs!mcdaniel

[In my orginal posting, I mentioned that I am not Jewish, and asked
"well, how many Jews do YOU know named McDaniel?"  I should have
known better!]
hi there tim.  i saw your posting in net.religion.jewish,
and couldn't resist replying.  you see, my name is mcroberts,
and i AM jewish, although a jew by choice, which is a nice
euphemism for a convert.  but, i do know a family in dayton,
ohio by the name of mcdime who are quite jewish from quite
far back.  so what's in a name?

anyhow, i hope you'll get more definitive answers to your
question about jewish views of the afterlife.  the major
one has to do with the messiah coming and ushering in the
messianic age.  at that point, it is believed that the
"righteous of all the nations" will be resurrected and live
together in perfect utopian bliss.  the covenant of noah
will be in effect (which includes only a vegetarian diet --
because of that, a little-known tradition that animals should
be fed before people eat, like family pets, in anticipation
of the messianic times when we will live in total peace
with the animal kingdom as well -- guess what?  i'm also
an animal lover.)

as for what happens to those who die in the meantime, my
impression is that we sort of punt a lot.  some standard
phrases include things like "the l--d wouldn't create
people just to destroy them again."  of course, jewish
thought is vehemently against any notion of doing good
deeds in hope of a reward (good deeds are to be done
because of their intrinsic value), so one loses the whole
christian folklore of "be good so you can go to heaven."
but, if you push it far enough, that's probably not held
to completely, either.
. . .

So that's all I received about it.  C'est la vie.

------------------
If I am obnoxious or if I flame, please find it in your heart to forgive me.
If I am confused, ignorant, or wrong, please gently enlighten or correct me.

UNIX is a trademark of ATT.  VAX and PDP are trademarks of Digital
Equipment Corp.  The opinions expressed above are my own, and are not
in any way indicative of the opinions of any other entity or group of
entities in this universe.  Void where taxed or prohibited by law.
This space for rent.  She bop, she bop.

Tim McDaniel
Usenet: ...{pur-ee|ihnp4|convex}!uiucdcs!mcdaniel
Csnet: mcdaniel%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa (really!)

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (11/28/84)

> I posted the original question.  I received exactly one (1) reply, by
> private mail.  (I wonder why there were no more replies -- was I
> offensive? was it a simple-minded question?)

I guess its time to add some flame to the fire.  I can describe the
attitude transmitted to me from my familly of devout nonobservant
Jews.  This is hardly an expert opinion, more like the opinion of the
common man (caveat caveat!).  Anyway I believe that Judaism
concentrates entirely on the living.  The only responses I got as a
kid from the normative sources (parents and hebrew school) is that the
dead live on in the memory of the living.  At the time of the messiah
there will be no death (this is more from my recent reading for
Maimonides I think Judah Ha Levi had  a different opinion on this).
I have however read some stuff that purports to be Jewish mythology or
stories and legends.  In it a concept of heaven which is taken to
various levels of sophistication is described (the most sophisticated
described a hierarchical multilevel heaven only some of which are used
to hold soals).   In any case such ideas are irrelevant except as
mysticism since Judaism tells one how to live not how to die.
-David

mcdaniel@uiucdcsb.UUCP (12/01/84)

Thanks, Sher.  I must remember that last line ("Judaism tells us how to
live, not how to die.")  Pithy.

So now that a consensus seems to have been reached on that (and thanks
for the info!), I have come up with one more question.  (Oh, come on,
it's just a little one . . .)

In the text that Christians refer to as "the Old Testament" (I am sorry
that I do not know the Jewish term for it), I think that there is a
Hebrew term rendered in English as "sheol".  Webster's says that it is
"an underworld where according to ancient Hebrew belief the dead have a
shadowy existence".  (Definition 2 is "hell", which is an obvious
Christian corruption of the term.)  The Oxford English says much the
same, without the phrase "ancient Hebrew belief".  What is the precise
meaning of "sheol" in Hebrew, and how does it relate to the rest of
Judaism?  Three possibilities: (1) my memory is bad and "sheol" does
not occur until the NT; (2) "sheol" is apocrypha (not Apochrypha, of
course); (3) Jewish beliefs have changed, maybe???

[To make one thing perfectly clear, let me say this about that :-) :
this is NOT an attempt to pick holes in Judaism.  I am genuinely
puzzled.]

------------------
If I am obnoxious or if I flame, please find it in your heart to forgive me.
If I am confused, ignorant, or wrong, please gently enlighten or correct me.

UNIX is a trademark of ATT.  VAX and PDP are trademarks of Digital
Equipment Corp.  The opinions expressed above are my own, and are not
in any way indicative of the opinions of any other entity or group of
entities in this universe.  Void where taxed or prohibited by law.
This space for rent.  She bop, she bop.

Tim McDaniel
Usenet: ...{pur-ee|ihnp4|convex}!uiucdcs!mcdaniel
Csnet: mcdaniel%uiuc@csnet-relay.arpa (really!)

meth@csd2.UUCP (12/06/84)

or leyom chamishi leparshas vayishlach, 12 KISLEV 5745

----------
tim mcdaniel writes :

In the text that Christians refer to as "the Old Testament" (I am sorry
that I do not know the Jewish term for it), I think that there is a
Hebrew term rendered in English as "sheol".  Webster's says that it is
"an underworld where according to ancient Hebrew belief the dead have a
shadowy existence".  (Definition 2 is "hell", which is an obvious
Christian corruption of the term.)  The Oxford English says much the
same, without the phrase "ancient Hebrew belief".  What is the precise
meaning of "sheol" in Hebrew, and how does it relate to the rest of
Judaism?  Three possibilities: (1) my memory is bad and "sheol" does
not occur until the NT; (2) "sheol" is apocrypha (not Apochrypha, of
course); (3) Jewish beliefs have changed, maybe???
----------

the text is called the TANACH.

the word "sheol" appears in many places (and in various forms) throughout
TANACH. just to mention the first two : bereishis 37:45, 42:38
(bereishis = genesis).

the "ARUCH" translates "sheol" as "shem la-aretz tachtiyos".

mandelkorn, in his KONKORDANTZIA (concordance), gives the following definitions
for the word "sheol" :
 "kinui live-er shachas"
 "shachas va-avadon"
 "mishkan m-sei olam"

as i do not feel that i can adequately translate these phrases into english,
doing proper justice to the meaning and not mistranslating, i refrain from
attempting to translate them here. if anyone else feels that they can translate
these phrases PROPERLY, do so if you wish.

it appears to me that the definition tim quoted from webster's is a
conglomeration of sorts of the various phrases i mentioned.

            asher meth
            allegra!cmcl2!csd2!meth
            meth@nyu-csd2.arpa (on the ARPANET)

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (03/20/85)

In article <3780022@csd2.UUCP> meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) writes:
>Back to Humanism and my original questions to Adam Reed (did you ever answer
>any of them ??) - Do you not believe in the concept of a SOUL ? and an
>AFTER-LIFE ? and a CREATOR ? and the ideas and ideals HE had in mind for
>mankind ? according to HIS interpretation ?? (This is for J. Abeles, too.
>
>        asher meth

This is the second reference to after life that I have seen recently in n.r.j .
This time it was even in capital letters!  What my parents taught me, was that
we live on only in the memory of the people who knew us.  This was also what
my hebrew school taught me though they also mentioned some other views.
I think maimonides said that there will be no reincarnation after the messiah
comes but things will continue as they were.  This is in contrast to Judah Ha
Levi who believes that all Jews will be reincarnated in Israel at this time.

Thus to my question:  What is the normative view of after life in Judaism?
Does it differ between conservative and orthodox?  Does it differ between
Sefardic and Ashkenazie?

Caution: All the "facts" about the Rambam and Judah Ha Levi should be viewed
with caution since they are rememberances from many years back
-David Sher
sher@rochester

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (03/21/85)

> This is the second reference to after life that I have seen recently in n.r.j .
> This time it was even in capital letters!  What my parents taught me, was that
> we live on only in the memory of the people who knew us.  This was also what
> my hebrew school taught me though they also mentioned some other views.
> I think maimonides said that there will be no reincarnation after the messiah
> comes but things will continue as they were.  This is in contrast to Judah Ha
> Levi who believes that all Jews will be reincarnated in Israel at this time.
>
> Thus to my question:  What is the normative view of after life in Judaism?
> Does it differ between conservative and orthodox?  Does it differ between
> Sefardic and Ashkenazie?

	Great caution must be exercised when discussing and researching these
 topics not to lump ideas together. The coming of the Messiah and the
 resurrection of the dead ( t'chiyat hameytim ) are not necessarily dependent
 on one another. As I recall, Rambam (Maionides), in a book he wrote
 specifically on the topic of resurrection ( the title escapes me ), which is
 different than reincarnation [ as I understand it, resurrection is the
 rising of the dead in the same for and bodies they had before, and
 reincarnation is rebirth in a different body at least, if not a different
 form ]. His, Rambam's, basic idea was the even after t'chiyat hameytim there
 would be life and death, meaning, those who were reborn would die again. This
 is where he differs from R. Yehuda HaLevi.

	There are many opinions of what will happen when mashiach comes. One
 point to remember, which will shed light on the whole concept of mashiach, is
 the story of R. Akiva and Bar Kochva. R. Akiva was of the impression that
 Bar Kochva was the messiah. Did R. Akiva really think Bar Kochva to be some
 super human being who would change the course of the world for eternity? No,
 Bar Kochva was a general who would lead the Jewish people back to their home-
 land and set up the monarchy again. It is obvious, to me at least, that very
 little of the way the world worked then would change. Why should it revert
 back to some previous state if mashiach would come today. To when would it
 revert. Back to the days of the Temple or all the way back to the Garden of
 Eden. Some rabbis, though, are of the opinion that there will be changes in
 the way the world works.

	The G'mara discusses that before mashiach comes, Eliyahu Hanavi will
 come to set the nation in order. This I can understand. Eliyahu Hanavi is a
 more suprenatural being than mashiach. He resides in the heavens ( according
 to the story in the Prophets ) and comes down to earth to do miracles. That
 he will do unnatural deeds I understand, but mashiach himself will be human
 as we are human. He will restart the Davidic monarchy ( and this will,
 hopefully, lead or come after, the unification of the entire Jewish nation ).

	There is much more to be written and at the momoent I don't have
 the time, but this should suffice to get the ball rolling.

				Eliyahu Teitz.

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (03/22/85)

From postnews Fri Mar 22 12:55:38 1985

> I think maimonides said that there will be no reincarnation after the messiah
> comes but things will continue as they were.  This is in contrast to Judah Ha
> Levi who believes that all Jews will be reincarnated in Israel at this time.
> Thus to my question:  What is the normative view of after life in Judaism?
> Does it differ between conservative and orthodox?  Does it differ between
> Sefardic and Ashkenazie?
> Caution: All the "facts" about the Rambam and Judah Ha Levi should be viewed
> with caution since they are rememberances from many years back
> -David Sher
> sher@rochester

The afterlife, resurrection of the dead, and  the  Messianic  era
are actually three separate subjects.

The reference to the Rambam is misunderstood. He lists belief  in
resurrection  if  the  dead  (techiyas hamaisim) as one of his 13
principles  of  Jewish  belief.  The  mishna  in   perek   chelek
(Sanhedrin)  lists  one  who denies resurrection of the dead as a
principle from the Torah among those who have no portion  in  the
world  to  come.  The  general  acceptance  of  this principle is
reflected in the fact that it is stated in the  first  prayer  in
of  the  Amidah (shmoneh esreh): "...Boruch atah Hashem, mechayeh
hamaisim." (Blessed are you G*d who  resurrects  the  dead.)  The
Rambam  was merely differentiating between the era of the Messiah
and techiyas hamaisim. He is reflecting the Talmudic dictum  "Ain
bein achshav l'yemos hamashiach ela shibud malchiuys bilvad. (The
only difference between now and the era of  the  Messiah  is  the
subjugation  of  the  Jewish  people to foreign dominion.)"  This
means that the messianic era is not a supernatural one.

Olam  haba  (afterlife)  generally    refers   to   a   spiritual
(heaven/hell)  existence  after  death  where  the  soul receives
reward and punishment. This is also a generally held belief.  The
Rambam   (Hilchos  Akum,  VIII)  devotes  an  entire  chapter  to
explaining  this noncorporeal existence. Again,  he  follows  the
normative talmudic statements.

There is generally no debate on these basic doctrines  among  the
Rishonim   (Rambam's   contemporaries)   except   concerning  the
interpretations of certain Biblical phrases   alluding  to  them.
However,  there are no halachic consequences resulting from these
differing interpretations. Also, Sephardim and Ashkenazim do  not
differ concerning these fundamental doctrines.

The doctrine of olam haba is central in that it helps to  explain
how  injustices  can  be  allowed  by  Hashem,  i.e.,   why  "the
righteous suffer in this world and the wicked prosper." The score
is  more than settled in the next world. The subject of olam haba
is addressed extensively by the Talmud,  the  rishonim,  medieval
Jewish philosophers, sifrei mussar (ethics) etc. It is definitely
a normative belief subscribed to by all orthodox elements.

				Yitzchok Samet