[net.music] A question On Ralph Records

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (01/09/85)

[IF YOU HAVE SEEN THIS ARTICLE BEFORE, THERE IS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
 AT THE TAIL END OF THE ARTICLE.]

> Does anybody ( I know rich rosen does) know the number of the Raplh Records
> computer located out in San Fran. ??? Please reply to the net with info,
> since this account also doubles as a mailing list..
> Tim Wicinski
> "Irrationality is Bliss"

Big Brother (the Ralph Records computer, housed in the original Frank Johnson)
was disconnected a few months ago as Ralph moved its headquarters.  I tried
calling them (1-415-543-0485) but only got a recording---no info on status
of Big Brother.  I will attempt to get this info soon. (I'll be out in San
Francisco next week.)  Perhaps someone in the area might be able to get a
hold of them at the above number before I do.

Big Brother was OK, and a great means of ordering records/videos/T-shirts
and keeping on top of eclectic music in general, but the public msg board
rapidly got boring (sort of a local net.flame for people in the Bay Area
who knew about the system and each other---actually more like a net.insult!).
Hopefully, *if* it is restored (Ralph had indicated that it might not be),
it will be better this time around.

[****UPDATE****]

Just got a call from Hardy Fox at Ralph Records.  He said (and I quote):
"Big Brother was a phenomenon of 1984."  When (and if) the Ralph BBS returns,
it will be of a different format, much more "personal".  They are still in
the process of moving.  Apparently, Big Brother is no longer with us.  But
Frank Johnson is!  He's (It's) still sitting in the Ralph Records office
taking up space.  Hardy Fox said that if there is a revival of a Ralph
dial-up computer system, it will be a somewhat more involved effort to
get an established logon (to avoid the local teenagers who called up and
asked why there wasn't anyone talking about Ozzy Osbourne on the system).
--
"Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?  I dunno."
				Rich Rosen 	{ihnp4 | harpo}!pyuxd!rlr