[net.religion.jewish] Stop the anglo-saxon hebrew!!

wkp@lanl.ARPA (03/26/85)

I have unfortunately become accustomed to American pigeon Hebrew
such as "shabbes" for shabbat, "yontif" for yom tov, etc., but when
a recent posting starts using terms like "ha'maisim" for "ha'metim",
it's time to stop the language degradation.

Most Ashkenzaim in the world have adopted the correct Sephardic
pronounciation of Hebrew, and it is used everywhere in the
world except in the United States, and some places in England.
I hope that some of the orthodox Jews on this net would stop
separating themselves from the rest of the Jewish world, and
start using the correct pronounciations.

I'm only interested in being able to understand your Hebrew
transliterations without having to pretend I live in Williamsburg.
--

bill peter

meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) (03/27/85)

Bill Peter writes :

>Most Ashkenzaim in the world have adopted the correct Sephardic
>pronounciation of Hebrew, and it is used everywhere in the
>world except in the United States, and some places in England.
>I hope that some of the orthodox Jews on this net would stop
>separating themselves from the rest of the Jewish world, and
>start using the correct pronounciations.

As Artie Johnson used to say : very eeeeeeeeeeeeenteresting !

Most Ahkenazim I know have adopted an incorrect pronunciation. It is a weird
concoction of Ashkenozis, Sepharadit, and Americanish. I once heard it dubbed
"Ashke-Sphard".

By the way, what is the real "correct pronunciation" ? Do you really know ?

Would you be ready to swallow the following - they say that the closest thing
to the real correct pronunciation is that of the Teimanim - Yemenite Jews.
And guess who on this net writes in that (or a very similar) dialect - that's
right folks, 'Yakim Martillo. How about that.

The only problem I have with his dialect is the spelling (which is also
probably firmly based in some rules of transliteration that I don't know).

Bill, when I speak Ivrit to someone, I speak Sepharadit (yes, that is the
correct Sepharadit pronunciation of that word). When I learn, I usually speak
Ashkenozis (or, if you wish, Ashkenazit); unless my chavrusah (chavruta, for
you) is a Sepharadi, in which case, I move between the two, as my mood
dictates.

         asher meth

p.s. i've told israelis on ocassion that my name is a-sher (accent on the
'sher' and not on the 'a'). most people know me as osher or asher (accent on
the 'o' or 'a').

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (03/28/85)

> I have unfortunately become accustomed to American pigeon Hebrew
> such as "shabbes" for shabbat, "yontif" for yom tov, etc., but when
> a recent posting starts using terms like "ha'maisim" for "ha'metim",
> it's time to stop the language degradation.
>
> Most Ashkenzaim in the world have adopted the correct Sephardic
> pronounciation of Hebrew, and it is used everywhere in the
> world except in the United States, and some places in England.
> I hope that some of the orthodox Jews on this net would stop
> separating themselves from the rest of the Jewish world, and
> start using the correct pronounciations.

		Why do you think that the s'faradi pronunciation is the correct one.
 They do not differentiate between tet, ta, nd saff, and saf. Why are there three
 letters if there is only one pronunciation ( in this the ashkenazim are no
 better ). One place where the ashkenazim are more exact than current Israeli
 hebrew ( not real sfaradit ) is in the vowels. There is a difference between
 a kamatz and patach, a tzere and segol which the Israeli's don't make. The
 only people who speak correct hebrew are the Yemenites ( here Yakim has a
 point to say we are not as good as they ). If you insist on Yemenite
 transliteration when writing to the net I would comply, but it would be
 difficult, because we are not used to their pronunciations. However, to
 insist on one wrong method over another wrong method makes little sense.
 I'm sure there are those on the net who prefer to read meisim and understand
 it more clearly and read it more quickly than they would meitim.

	In short, it would be impractical to force one group to write in the
 other groups style. ( I personally switch between the two, sometimes even in
 the same sentence. It depends whether I learned the word in school, in which
 case I would probably write it Ashkenazi style or if I learned it at home
 where we speak Israeli hebrew ).

			Eliyahu Teitz.

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (03/29/85)

> Most Ashkenazim in the world have adopted the correct Sephardic
> pronounciation of Hebrew, and it is used everywhere in the
> world except in the United States, and some places in England.

For SPOKEN  Hebrew,  which  was  revived  in  the  20th  century,
Sephardic  pronunciation  is the norm, EVEN in the US. Ashkenazim
accepted  this  norm because Israel did, not because they decided
after centuries that they were "wrong".

Hebrew prayer is a traditional practice and therefore a different
matter.  Ashkenazic  or  Sephardic  traditions  in prayer are not
"incorrect". The halacha regards them  both  as  valid.   On  the
contrary,  there  is a serious  question about changing from your
father's custom of pronunciation (in prayer) because you  may  be
scorning  the  religious practices of your parents and theirs (as
you do when you refer to our great grandfathers'  prayer  dialect
as  "pigeoen" Hebrew, chas v'sholom).  I saw  discussions of this
from  Rav Moshe Feinstein,  and from Rav Henken z"l. The approach
is that even though we have different linguistic traditions, each
is halachically valid.  However, mixing two traditions in  prayer
or kria<s,t,th> Hatorah is apparently a serious question.

> I have unfortunately become accustomed to American pigeon Hebrew
> such as "shabbes" for shabbat, "yontif" for yom tov, etc.,

That's not American, it's Yiddish. You don't like Yiddish...!?

> ... when  a recent posting starts using terms like "ha'maisim"
> for "ha'metim", it's time to stop the language degradation.

Degradation  refers  to  change.  This  is  one  of  many   valid
traditions, not a change. Contrary to your impressions, this type
of  pronunciation  is  widely  used  in  Torah  discussion,   and
certainly in prayer.

Some feel that  Sephardic (or Teimani) pronunciation has  changed
least,  but  that  view  is  not universal. Some change is clear,
because "taf" and "saf(thaf)" are indistinguishable in prevailing
Sephardic dialect.

Even so, it seems that certain  changes  introduced  into  loshon
hakodesh  were  accepted.   The forms of Hebrew in the Torah, the
mishna, the Rambam, other rishonim, and the Ramchal and  are  all
different.

Modern Hebrew, "as she are spoke" by the multitudes,  is  heavily
influenced  by  European  syntax  and  modern  words.  If you are
sensitive to degradation, you might object to that, because  it's
a relatively recent development.

> I hope that some of the orthodox Jews on this net would stop
> separating themselves from the rest of the Jewish world ...

We're clearly not separating ourselves or we wouldn't be  on  the
net.   Just  being  natural.  There  are many flowers in Hashem's
garden. Don't imagine that the "the Jewish world" is divided into
guys  like you and guys from Williamsburg.  (If you aren't a rose
then you must be a weed. - Alice in Wonderland)

				Yitzchok Samet

wkp@lanl.ARPA (03/29/85)

[Eliyahu Teitz writes:]

>		Why do you think that the s'faradi pronunciation
>is the correct one.

I did not mean to imply that s'faradi pronounciation as spoken in
Israel is the original hebrew, only that it is now the accepted
correct form of the language in modern times.

I personally would have preferred Yemenite Hebrew, or even a more
Yemenite-accented Hebrew like the singer Yaffa Yarkoni sometimes
effects, but this is now a mute point.  Jews most everywhere now
speak "Sfaradit", and I'm puzzled as to why no one in this newsgroup
except Yosi Hoshen writes in modern Hebrew.

Maybe I should ask Yosi to write up a Dvar Torah in Sfaradit
for equal time :-).
--

bill peter

cs193bah@unm-la.UUCP (03/29/85)

[Asher Meth writes:]
> As Artie Johnson used to say : very eeeeeeeeeeeeenteresting !

     Asher, what really shocked me about this posting of yours
     is that you show yourself not only to be an expert on hebrew,
     but also on old Laugh-in reruns.  How do you do it?

> Most Ahkenazim I know have adopted an incorrect pronunciation. It is a weird
> concoction of Ashkenozis, Sepharadit, and Americanish. I once heard it dubbed
> "Ashke-Sphard".

     Do you live in Williamsburg?

> By the way, what is the real "correct pronunciation" ? Do you really know ?

     No.

> p.s. i've told israelis on ocassion that my name is a-sher (accent on the
> 'sher' and not on the 'a'). most people know me as osher or asher (accent on
> the 'o' or 'a').

All the Israeli "Asher's" I know pronounce their name with an accent on
the FIRST syllable.  This is not so strange, since many names in hebrew
are accented on the first syllable even though the words they correspond
to are accented on the LAST syllable.

Some examples:          Hebrew word  => Hebrew name

                        to-VAH   =>    TO-vah
                        ri-NA    =>    RI-na
                        ar-YEH   =>    AR-yeh

By the way, Asher, if I have time later I'll post a good joke about
Ashkenazi Hebrew that is being told by the yordim living in NY city.
--
bill peter                      {ihnp4,seismo}!cmcl2!lanl!wkp

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) (03/31/85)

There  is  some  argument among linguists but one may fairly assume that
ancient  Biblical  Hebrew  speakers  represented  each  phoneme  with  a
separate  consonant  and  that  doubling  was  real  (which in fact many
Sefardim do this day do liturgically anyway).  Since doubling is  almost
always  a  result of grammar it need not be represented because a native
Hebrew  speaker  would  always  know  when  to   double   (this   is   a
simplification).

The masoretes however were not native Hebrew speakers  and  consequently
they heard two phonemes where a native Hebrew speaker hears one.

Likewise a modern English speaker hears one phoneme /t/ in  put  and  to
while a Hindi (or I) hears two separate and distinct phonemes.

Teaching students that a taw dagesh or taw rafe (sov in certain barbaric
pronunciation  systems)  are  separate  letters as is common in most day
schools is incorrect and  a  hindrance  to  properly  learning  to  read
Hebrew.   When  a  person  reads  a  hebrew  text  properly,  he  should
automatically use the proper expression of a  given  phoneme  given  the
context.  Thus torah has a hard taw sound but 'atah has a soft taw sound
because in the first case the /t/ is initial while in the second /t/  is
between  two  vowels.   'attah  has  two  hard taw sounds but the native
Hebrew speaker should perceive this as a case of the phoneme  /t/  being
doubled.   The  Ashkenazi transliteration scheme hides that fact that we
are dealing with three separate sounds but only one phoneme.  This makes
learning Hebrew grammar harder for the non-native Hebrew speaker because
suddenly phonology becomes part of grammar. Also  learning  to  read  is
much more complicated.

The  Ashkenazi  system  of  pronunciation  can  be  considered basically
incorrect because the phonemes are basically German phonemes (as are the
phonemes  in  Israeli  Hebrew  which should be termed yisra'elit and not
sefardit which is how my  father  pronounces  Hebrew)  and  because  the
Ashkenazi pronunciation divides a single phoneme taw into a sibilant and
a dental which simply does not happen in living Human  languages.   This
is  a fact which Jacob of Emden notices about 3 centuries ago.  The lack
of any proper expression of the semitic guttarals and emphatics is  also
a  reason  to  avoid  the  Ashkenazi  pronunciation.  Merely pronouncing
Hebrew with an `Arabic phonemic system is preferable because  one  would
expect  that  the  correct  phonemic  system  of  Hebrew is close to the
`Arabic phonemic system since `Arabic is a kindred language.   This  was
Ben  Yehudah's  approach.  But in fact the Yemenite Hebrew pronunciation
does not use the `Arabic phonemic system and is probably a  genuine  2nd
temple period pronunciation preserved.

I have to admit I find text easier to read if all taw's are  represented
as  t's and not sometimes as s's.  It is very common for Human languages
to have two separate representations of the same phoneme as  happens  in
yisra'elit  with teth and taw but giving two separate expressions to the
same phonemes as Ashkenazi pronunciation does and transcribing a  single
phone  two  different  ways when Hebrew itself only uses one letter is a
bit gross and iritating to anyone who has any knowledge of  linguistics.

The  reason  religious  Ashkenazim  cling  to  a   basically   incorrect
pronunciation of Hebrew (especially when one considers that the phonemic
system of yisra'elit is the same as ashkenazit) is political and neither
religious nor reasonable.  In Europe many religous Jews were essentially
illiterate in Hebrew or Aramaic, if  such  a  religious  Jew  could  get
through a little bit of the Humash with help he felt he had accomplished
something of religious merit.  Suddenly all these kofrim (infidels) were
learning  to  speak  Hebrew and made the semi-illiterate Jew's religious
achievement look like nothing.  The rabbis loved their  communities  and
consequently told them to speak Hebrew language as an every day language
was a sin and therefore they should not worry about the achievements  of
the kofrim because they were founded in sin.

Of course this reasoning is relatively stupid today and Sefardic hakamim
even the most antiZionist consider speaking  Hebrew  praiseworthy.   The
continued  persistence  of  anti-Hebrew  opinions  by  certain Ashkenazi
rabbis is yet  another  example  of  the  mental  fossilization  of  the
Ashkenazi  community  which  persists  in  battling  out irrelevant 19th
century political battles.

Yehoyaqim Martillo

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) (03/31/85)

Actually,  sefardit  and  sefaradit  are  both  found.   resh is in some
respects a semi-guttaral and some authorities permit resh-hatef-patah.

Yehoyaqim Martillo

meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) (03/31/85)

-----------
> Most Ahkenazim I know have adopted an incorrect pronunciation. It is a weird
> concoction of Ashkenozis, Sepharadit, and Americanish. I once heard it dubbed
> "Ashke-Sphard".

>>     Do you live in Williamsburg?

-----------------
No, I don't live in Williamsburg. When in Williamsburg (and that has happened a
few times in my life) I have spoken English or Yiddish. I don't recall speaking
Ivrit to anyone in Williamsburg.

I think that this "dialect" of Aske-Sphard is prevalent among many American
jews who have been to Israel, especially guys who have spent a year or more in
Israeli Yeshivot (often, Yeshivot Hesder); and I know quite a few of those.

A kosheren un freilichen Pesach to all.
Chag Kasher Vesameiach.

                 asher meth

meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) (04/01/85)

Yitzchak Samet writes :

>                                             On the
>contrary,  there  is a serious  question about changing from your
>father's custom of pronunciation (in prayer) because you  may  be
>scorning  the  religious practices of your parents and theirs (as
>you do when you refer to our great grandfathers'  prayer  dialect
>as  "pigeoen" Hebrew, chas v'sholom).  I saw  discussions of this
>from  Rav Moshe Feinstein,  and from Rav Henken z"l. The approach

I, too, have heard of such discussions. I was told by Rav Shabtai Rappaport,
a grandson-in-law, that Rav Moshe says that one may change from the practice of
his father. This p'sak (halachic ruling) should be found in vol 6 of Iggeros
Moshe (Orach Chaim). Rav Shabtai also told me that on the other side of the
fence is Rav Avraham Yitzchak Hacohen Kook (zatzal) who says that one may not
change from the practice of his father with respect to pronunciation (havarah).
I saw this teshuvah (responsum) from Rav Kook about four years ago.

Whatever your custom is, you do fulfill your obligation of, say, kriyas
hatorah, the reading of the weekly portion on the sabbath in the synagogue,
even if the pronunciation of the reader is different than one you are
accustomed to using.

       asher meth
   allegra!cmcl2!csd2!meth
   meth@nyu-csd2.arpa

ornstein@fdcv09.DEC (Ian Ornstein PK03/2-28C DTN 223-9145) (04/02/85)

	As far as I can remember, I have never expressed this in writing
before.  When I was eight years old, I began to learn at the "after school"
Hebrew School.  Our teacher was an imigrant, a displaced person who knew
very little english.  That first year I was taught, and attempted to learn,
Ahkenazim pronunciation which, of course was used for tephilot.

	The second year(@1951) our new teacher began to teach us  Sepharadit,
because that was how Hebrew was being spoken in Israel.  I have to tell you
that the confusion set me back some.  Years later, I was glad that I had
had the exposure because I can even understand the discussion today. My
emotions tell me though that we have lost something in our expressiveness.

	As an adult, currently studying Hebrew in an Ulpan, I would prefer
to read the transliterated hebrew in "miftah Yisraelit."  If those regular
contributors would put aside their differences in this first step they would
receive the gratitude of those of us who are readers and trying to learn from
the message of the learned.
					Yitzhak Ornstein

meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) (04/03/85)

[Yitzhak Ornstein writes :]
>As an adult, currently studying Hebrew in an Ulpan, I would prefer
>to read the transliterated hebrew in "miftah Yisraelit."

A side point. "Miftah Yisraelit" should be "MiVtah Yisraelit".
Similarly, "saftah" should be "saVtah", "Rifkah" should be "RiVkah".
This is a common mistake in modern spoken hebrew.
Another common error in modern spoken hebrew is the dropping of the letter
"hey", especially when the vowel under it is a "patach". This can be very
problematic in the Torah reading if the reader drops his "hey"s and reads it
as if it said "alef" with a "patach".

The word "mivtah" may come from the root "bituy" (suggested by Pinchas Klahr),
as found in the Torah, in parshas Vayikrah - "levatei bisfasayim".

Chag Kasher Vesameiach to all.

               asher meth
      allegra!cmcl2!csd2!meth
      meth@nyu-csd2.arpa

RAAN@TECHUNIX.BITNET (04/10/85)

From: Ran Ever-Hadani <raan@techunix.TECHUNIX>

Asher Meth:
> [Yitzhak Ornstein writes :]
>> "Miftah Yisraelit"
> should be "MiVta Yisraelit"

Actualy, it should be "Mivtah Yisraeli".  Mivtah is masculine.

				Ran Ever-Hadani
				Technion, Haifa, Israel