[net.religion.jewish] Request for help

mf@cornell.UUCP (mf) (03/22/85)

Recently, Messrs. Felderer and Hoffman have flooded the local Community
Cable channel (open to any individual or organisation) with a series of
programmes and interviews ``scientifically proving'' that the Holocaust
is a hoax perpretrated by the ``so-called jews'' (sometimes called also
``Christian/Zionists'' conspiracy) who are really Kazars (good ol'
Koestler); another target of their attacks is, for instance, Ann Frank
and her diaries (fakes, according to them); that the evidence against
Mengele was fabricated -- after all his ``so-called victims'' looked
very healthy to Felderer, who concludes that he (Mengele) was a
humanitarian doctor; then Amnesty International, with its ``disregard
of human rights'' and so on; all this linked to the politics and
policies of the Israeli Govt.

Now Mr. Felderer, who happens to have been a Jew (and it seems was interned
in a concentration camp for a while), a Jehovah witness and now has his
own religion (I am quoting), has been institutionalised in Sweden, after
he published material stating, inter alia, that the gas chambers never
existed and that what Hitler really gassed was lice (so where did half of
my family disappear?).  Any reasonable person (I hope) can very quickly
realise that he is quite unbalanced and discount his rantings forthwith.

My worry is with those multitudes who watch TV indiscriminately, who
believe in the printed word (if they know how to read) or the image,
who have no knowledge nor personal connections to the Holocaust.  For them,
such theses may seem reasonable, all the more so that they appeal to
deeply rooted racist atavistic attitudes.  In other words, it is much
easier and more successful to appeal to the fear of the different than
to openness and tolerance; it is much easier to discount the Holocaust as
a hoax than to accept its moral implications.

How to respond?  Point-by-point rebuttal does not look effective to me,
after all, the viewers never care about historical truth.  After having
talked with several concerned individuals, it seems we should individually
bring as much material as possible to this local channel.  The first idea
that several hit upon separately was ``Night and Fog.''  Now I would like
to hear suggestions from you on other video material that you think might
be of help.  Remember, it is not *for* Jews, and the audience is not
a priori interested in very scientific or learned material; on the other
hand, soap-opera-like tear-jerkers are not appropriate either.

I would welcome any suggestions on movies, sources, anything -- by mail.
Thank you.

M. Fingerhut

ARPA:   mf@cornell-gvax
Bitnet: MF at CRNLCS
Uucp:   {decvax allegra ihnp4 vax135 ...}!cornell!mf

mf@cornell.UUCP (mf) (03/22/85)

I am looking for non-fictional research material on Judaism and
homosexualities, such as, but not limited to:

-- social and psychological aspects (e.g., attitudes in the Jewish and
   non-Jewish communities towards gay Jews; gay Jewish communities;
   antisemitism and homophobia; the helping professions; etc...)

-- religious (e.g.: responsa, Halachik issues, individual positions of
   religious leaders, attitudes of the various Jewish religious
   movements, gay religious communities, etc...)

-- cultural (communities?)

-- political (movements, connections with feminist movements in
   Judaism, or with gay non-jewish movements).

Sources may be references to articles or books, addresses of
individuals or institutions.  Replies by mail preferred.
Thank you.

                             M. Fingerhut

                             UUCP:  {decvax allegra ihnp4 vax135 ...}!cornell!mf
                             ARPA:  mf@cornell-gvax
                             Bitnet: CRNLCS%MF

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (03/24/85)

> Recently, Messrs. Felderer and Hoffman have flooded the local Community
> Cable channel (open to any individual or organisation) with a series of
> programmes and interviews ``scientifically proving'' that the Holocaust
> is a hoax ...
> ...  After having
> talked with several concerned individuals, it seems we should individually
> bring as much material as possible to this local channel.

I imagine that a TV counter-campaign would be quite expensive. Is it
clear that Jews should spend so much money and effort to educate a
lunatic fringe?

					Yitzchok Samet

mf@cornell.UUCP (mf) (03/24/85)

Holocaust, A.I.Samet writes:

> Is it clear that Jews should spend so much money and effort to educate a
> lunatic fringe?

I would like to mention again, as I did in my initial posting, that I am
worried not with ``the lunatic fringe,'' with whom I think there is no
possible dialogue, but with those most likely to be influenced by such
propaganda (for reasons I mentioned there) -- the slightly illiterate,
slightly bigotted, slightly non-Jewish, i.e., quite a lot of people.

Moreover, this is a small town with two colleges (Cornell and Ithaca
College) and the young population, which watches TV rather ...
indiscriminately ... is a prime target.  This campaign on TV is supplemented
by written material, Mr. Hoffman (who I was shocked to hear is in his
twenties) owning a printing press.

As to access to this community network, it is free.  The costs involved
are in renting the material, I suppose, or making some of our own.  Whether
it is the case or not, I think this is enough of a problem not to worry so
much about money.  After all, there are more important issues at stake.

In this context, a general question recurs: when to react or when to
keep silent.  Some of you may have noticed very disquieting trends in this
country -- a rise in antisemitism, racism and other forms of intolerance.
One cannot, should not, wait until it claims [more] victims.  Do not ignore
it, do not close your eyes.  Stand up, speak up and you'll be respected.

In the face of this threat, I do not advocate counter-terror or aggression,
but rather: education -- another good reason to start as early as possible.
This is the kind of material I am interested in.

						M. Fingerhut

mf@cornell.UUCP (mf) (04/18/85)

I would appreciate if people having *practical* experience in dealing with
historical revisionism contacted me by mail.  Thanks.