[net.religion.jewish] What is Kosher for Pesach

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (04/08/85)

I was doing some thinking last night about what bread-stuffs, other
than matzo, might be Kosher for Pesach. Specifically, I was
curious about some of the non-levened breadstuffs of other
countries.  [Note: Throughout this discussion, if you are not Reform,
insert "under proper rabbinic supervision" where necessary]

Consider the following foods:
	Flour Tortillas (usually just flour+water+a little lime)
	Corn Tortillas (corn+water+lime)
	Chapti (indian -- I believe whole wheat flour + water)

These foods are all cooked in a simpler manner than matzo,
namely, put the mix on a griddle and fry. Note that the intent of
this is not to replace matzo, but to get a little variety during
the week. After all, no one around today knows for sure how the
cooks among our people actually cooked the (mixture), only that
they left fast enough that it couldn't be left to rise.

Daniel.

--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-CS.ARPA

W: SDC, 2500 Colorado MD 52-46; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6493
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

It is easier to change the specification to fit the program than
vice-versa.              -- A. J. Perlis, SIGPLAN 17:9 Sept 1982

barryg@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Lee Gold) (04/09/85)

All the flour tortillas I've seen in supermarkets have baking powder.
Therefore I would be unwilling to risk eating one at a Mexican restaurant.
All the corn tortillas I've seen in supermarkets don't have baking
powder or any other leavening.  Me myself I consider them acceptable.
However, some people might eschew them on the same grounds they refuse
to eat non-Pesach-dik matzo during Passover (fear of accidental
leavening).

Some years back when we first got a dog, we noticed that Milk Bones
contain supposedly dead Brewer's Yeast plus a little baking powder,
but Bonz seems to be unleavened.

Incidentally, with Shevuot coming up relatively soon, I'll mention that we
noticed you can make low salt/cholesterol goodies with Mocha Mix and
crepes (rather than the more standard blintzes).  Crepes are also
kosher for Pesach, as they don't contain any leavening; they're too thin
to need any.  Baking soda/powder are permanently on our no-no list, so
on Passover our main dietary change is to give up yeast.

--Lee Gold

essachs@ihuxl.UUCP (Ed Sachs) (04/10/85)

Why is it that "kosher for passover" baked goods, from reputable
companies (e.g, Manaschewitz), contain "sodium bicarbonate" in
their ingredients list.  Sodium bicarbonate IS baking soda!
--
				Ed Sachs
				AT&T Bell Laboratories

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (04/11/85)

> All the flour tortillas I've seen in supermarkets have baking powder.
> Therefore I would be unwilling to risk eating one at a Mexican restaurant.
> All the corn tortillas I've seen in supermarkets don't have baking
> powder or any other leavening.  Me myself I consider them acceptable.

Big mistake. You don't need leavening agents to produce chametz. Flour
and water will do the trick in 18 minutes (or less if the water is warm).

Also, I've heard that commercially sold flour comes into contact
with water during processing.

				Y.S.

meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) (04/18/85)

>Consider the following foods:
> ==>>>  Flour Tortillas (usually just flour+water+a little lime)
>        Corn Tortillas (corn+water+lime)

Corn is of the category "kitniyos" (kitniyot) which Askenazim do not eat on
Pesach. Sefaradim, on the other hand, are permitted to eat these foodstuffs.

          asher meth
    allegra!cmcl2!csd2!meth
    meth@nyu-csd2.arpa

susan@vaxwaller.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (04/23/85)

> Consider the following foods:
> 	Flour Tortillas (usually just flour+water+a little lime)
> 	Corn Tortillas (corn+water+lime)
> 	Chapti (indian -- I believe whole wheat flour + water)

The lime causes the maize to swell up like a balloon before grinding.
Is it then "leavened"?

	Susan Finkelman (415) 945-2274
	Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!susan

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (04/24/85)

In article <csd2.3780040> meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) writes:

>Corn is of the category "kitniyos" (kitniyot) which Askenazim do not eat on
>Pesach. Sefaradim, on the other hand, are permitted to eat these foodstuffs.

On the other hand, even the Sephardim should refrain from eating popcorn,
as the fleeing Israelites would not have had time to allow their corn to pop.
:-)
	Frank Silbermann

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (04/29/85)

> > Consider the following foods:
> > 	Flour Tortillas (usually just flour+water+a little lime)
> > 	Corn Tortillas (corn+water+lime)
> > 	Chapti (indian -- I believe whole wheat flour + water)
> >
> The lime causes the maize to swell up like a balloon before grinding.
> Is it then "leavened"?

	There are only five grains which, according to halacha, can become
 leavened, and they are: wheat, barley, oats, spelt, and rye ( I might be
 mistaken on spelt, although I think that is the fifth one ). All other
 grains do not become chametz ( leavened ). However, in order to avoid
 problems, the rabbis decided that any grain that is ground into flour
 ( any legume ) should not be used on Pesach.

			Eliyahu Teitz.

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) (05/03/85)

From teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) Sun Feb  6 01:28:16 206
From: teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz)
Newsgroups: net.religion.jewish
Subject: Re: Re: What is Kosher for Pesach
Date: Mon, 29-Apr-85 12:59:20 EDT

>> > Consider the following foods:
>> > 	Flour Tortillas (usually just flour+water+a little lime)
>> > 	Corn Tortillas (corn+water+lime)
>> > 	Chapti (indian -- I believe whole wheat flour + water)
>> >
>> The lime causes the maize to swell up like a balloon before grinding.
>> Is it then "leavened"?
>>

>	There are only five grains which, according to halacha, can become
> leavened, and they are: wheat, barley, oats, spelt, and rye ( I might be
> mistaken on spelt, although I think that is the fifth one ). All other
> grains do not become chametz ( leavened ). However, in order to avoid
> problems, the rabbis decided that any grain that is ground into flour
> ( any legume ) should not be used on Pesach.
>

>			Eliyahu Teitz.

Actually,  Sefardim  follow the letter of the law and permit legumes and
rice as passover foods.  In fact many of the foods which  Sefardim  make
specifically  for  passover  contain  legumes  and  rice.  Interestingly
enough, Ashkenazim would be able to eat very little which  Judah  haNasi
would  have served at his passover hagadah while he would recognize very
little of what Ashkenazim serve at the hagadah of  passover  (new  world
vegetables  you  know).   Of  course  he  would  be  right at home among
Sefardim.

The situation is even more absurd.  This passover some  sefardi  friends
of  mine  had  a  Russian  Jewish  couple  as guests at the hagadah.  Of
course, they would eat very little of what was specifically prepared for
passover.  Since Sefardim consider comensality extremely important, such
behavior is considered rude and crude but beyond this they brought their
own Lubovitcher matzah which was hadash and therefore 'asur mide'oraita'
until the third day of passover.

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (05/05/85)

>The situation is even more absurd.  This passover some  sefardi  friends
>of  mine  had  a  Russian  Jewish  couple  as guests at the hagadah.  Of
>course, they would eat very little of what was specifically prepared for
>passover.  Since Sefardim consider comensality extremely important, such
>behavior is considered rude and crude but beyond this they brought their
>own Lubovitcher matzah which was hadash and therefore 'asur mide'oraita'
>until the third day of passover.
> ? Y. S. Martillo ?  (I am not sure this is you)

I agree, your sefardi friends were being incredibly rude.  In my book
anyway, when you invite guests you respect their customs.  How would you
like it if I invited you to my home and offered you ham and carrots fried
in lard (though actually I never cook such) or even cheeseburgers (which I
have been known to eat).  I admit that the Russian Jewish couple commited
a faux paux by bringing the hadash matzah but that is nothing compared to
the lack of hostipitallity of serving food to guests that their religion
or native customs forbid them.

-David Sher

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (05/06/85)

> Actually,  Sefardim  follow the letter of the law and permit legumes and
> rice as passover foods.  In fact many of the foods which  Sefardim  make
> specifically  for  passover  contain  legumes  and  rice.  Interestingly
> enough, Ashkenazim would be able to eat very little which  Judah  haNasi
> would  have served at his passover hagadah while he would recognize very
> little of what Ashkenazim serve at the hagadah of  passover  (new  world
> vegetables  you  know).   Of  course  he  would  be  right at home among
> Sefardim.

	According to the Ashkenazim the letter of the law now prohibits
 rice and legumes, so please stop trying to make Ashkenazim look as if they
 do not follow the letter of the law.

> The situation is even more absurd.  This passover some  sefardi  friends
> of  mine  had  a  Russian  Jewish  couple  as guests at the hagadah.  Of
> course, they would eat very little of what was specifically prepared for
> passover.  Since Sefardim consider comensality extremely important, such
> behavior is considered rude and crude but beyond this they brought their
> own Lubovitcher matzah which was hadash and therefore 'asur mide'oraita'
> until the third day of passover.

 	I cannot condone the actions of the Lubavitcher. However, the host
 should have realized the potential problem of inviting an Ashkenazi to the
 Seder.

	One last point. Why do you assume the Ashkenazim to be so unversed
 in the Torah as to permit the eating of chadash ( the Torah prohibits
 the eating of grain which had not taken root by Pesach. The grain planted
 in thewinter takes root by Pesach and is  therefore permissable. The
 summer wheat, however, is prohibitted until the  second day of Pesach.
).
 Why Yakim thinks that Ashkenazim are unaware of this law perplexes  me.
 Surely, Ashkenazim can read the Torah as well as S'faradim,  and are as
 careful of its  prohibitions  as much as S'faradim. In fact, in America
 today there might not be a problem of chadash at all, since the  wheat
 harvested in the winter, might not come to  market until after pesach.

				Eliyahu Teitz.

megann@ihuxi.UUCP (Meg McRoberts) (05/07/85)

Does any one know when the Ashkenazim stopped accepting rice
(and legumes) as kosher l'pesach?  It seems that Rashi considered
the question of rice (which seems to have been introduced to europe
about that time);  he spoke with scholars "from the land where rice
is grown" (wherever that was), and they said that they ate rice
during pesach, so rashi decided it was acceptable.  When was it
deemed unacceptable?  Tosaphists?  Shulchan Aruch?

meg mcroberts
{...}ihuxi!megann