[net.religion.jewish] Interpreting Antisemitism

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (05/05/85)

> >4) The key point I  tried  to  emphasize  was  that  there  is  a
> >religious  dimension  which adds perspective to our understanding
> >of antisemitism, and that an effective solution  to  the  problem
> >must  recognize  that  we invite it by assimilating. This adds an
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >important dimension to our understanding of Nazism, one which has
> >been neglected, perhaps because it is so disturbing. (Y. Samet)

> What exactly do you mean by assimilation?  Are you saying that Jews
> who eat pork and don't wear hats should feel guilty for the deaths
> of the six million?  As far as I know, this type of assimilation
> is a recent phenomenon.  Perhaps 150 years old.  Anti-semitism is
> much older.  How does your theory explain:
>
>       The massacres at the hands of the crusaders 900 years ago?
>       The expulsion from England 700 years ago.
>       The massacres in Germany at the time of the Black Plague?
>       The Edict of Expulsion in Spain 500 years ago?
>       The hundreds of thousands of Jews in Eastern Europe who
>               were murdered 300 years ago during the Ukranian
>               rebellion against Poland.
>                                       (Frank Silbermann)

1) You asked what I meant by assimilation in the above quote.   I
mean,  in  a  general  sense,  embracing  foreign ideologies  and
practices (idolatry in Biblical times) and drifting away from the
Torah.

2) A major source for the theme I put forth is found  in  parshas
be'chukosai (Lev. 26). Some excerpts:

  "If you will walk in My statutes and keep my mitzvas and do them;
  safely. And I will give peace in the land, and you shall lie down
  in security, and their will be no cause of fear... and  you  will
  chase your enemies and they will fall before you...

  But if you will not hear  Me,  and  will  not  do  all  of  these
  mitzvas,  and  will  despise  My  statutes,  or  if  you abhor My
  judgements so that you will not do all of  My  mitzvas,  but  you
  will  breach  My  bris  (covenant);so  to I will do to you;I will
  appoint over you  terror,  consumption,  and  fever,  that  shall
  consume  the eyes and bring you to despair, and you will sow your
  seed in vain, for your enemies will eat it. And  I  will  set  my
  face  against  you,  and  you shall be slain before your enemies;
  they that hate you shall reign over you, and you will  flee  when
  none  pursues  you;  and  if  you still don't listen, then I will
  chastise you seven times more for your sins... And I will bring a
  sword  upon  you,  that shall avenge my covenant, and you will be
  delivered into the hand of the enemy... and I  will  scatter  you
  among  the  nations and will draw out a sword after you...and you
  will have no power to stand up before your enemies...

  And they will confess their sins and those of their fathers, that
  they  rose  against  me,  and  that they walked with me in chance
  (more literally: THEY ATTRIBUTED THEIR  MISFORTUNES  TO  CHANCE);
  (and  they  recognize that) so too I walk with them in chance and
  brought them to the lands of their enemies; only then will  their
  uncircumcised  hearts be humbled and they will make amends...Then
  I will remember My covenant with Yakov, and also My covenant with
  Yitzchok,  and  also  my covenant with Avroham I will remember...
  because they despised my judgements and abhorred my statutes. And
  still,  for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies,
  I will not cast them away or abhor them  completely,  to  destroy
  them  totally, and to nullify my covenant with them, for I am the
  L*rd their G*d..."

This major theme, that our security is tied to our allegiance  to
the  Torah, is reiterated in the prophets and the sages. However,
one may have to be a prophet, or a great sage, to relate specific
Divine retributions to specific sins. However, this does not stop
us from recognizing,  in  general,  that  Divine  retribution  or
chastisement is behind major catastrophes. Also, some Rabbis feel
that they can extract general object lessons from something  like
the  holocaust.  The following quotes are from "Rejoice Oh Youth"
(Rabbi Avigdor Miller):

  "The worst persecution in history took place 20 years ago, in one
  of the most civilized nations of the world. Nothing even remotely
  similar ever  happened  under  the  old  despots,  despite  their
  religious  bigotry  and  their absolute monarchy. Germany, on the
  contrary, had little religious motiviation; it had been a liberal
  democracy...here  we see a most striking correlation.  The Jewish
  communities under the old despots were  intensely  loyal  to  the
  Torah...but  the Jews of Germany and the adjacent lands neglected
  the Torah in a manner never  before  seen...therefore  they  were
  denied  ... protection, and the very worst destruction in history
  came upon them in a manner never before seen...The prophets,  who
  were  extreme  in  their  denunciation of every sin, did not once
  accuse anyone of disbelief  in  the  Torah.  Even  the  idolators
  observed the laws of the Torah... The correlation between the the
  worst massacre in all history... with the  worst  defection  from
  Torah  is  undeniable.  It is immaterial whether the gentiles are
  barbarous or civilized. They do not make history. The behavior of
  the   Jews  towards  G*d's  Torah  determines  the  phenomena  of
  history."

There is much more explanation required to  clarify  and  amplify
these  ideas,  but  this is enough to digest and react to for the
meanwhile. I am impressed that Frank is  able  to  discuss  these
touchy  issues  with an open mind.  I hope that other readers can
put aside sensitivities and old habits of  viewing  these  issues
and look forward to some more productive discussion.

                                Yitzchok Samet

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (05/08/85)

>> >	Yitzchok Samet
>>	Frank Silbermann
>	Yitzchok Samet
	Frank Silbermann

In article <sfmag.560> samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) writes:
>> >4) The key point I  tried  to  emphasize  was  that  there  is  a
>> >religious  dimension  which adds perspective to our understanding
>> >of antisemitism, and that an effective solution  to  the  problem
>> >must  recognize  that  we invite it by assimilating. This adds an
>> >                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> >important dimension to our understanding of Nazism, one which has
>> >been neglected, perhaps because it is so disturbing. (Y. Samet)
>
>> What exactly do you mean by assimilation?  Are you saying that Jews
>> who eat pork and don't wear hats should feel guilty for the deaths
>> of the six million?  As far as I know, this type of assimilation
>> is a recent phenomenon.  Perhaps 150 years old.  Anti-semitism is
>> much older.  How does your theory explain:
>>
>>       The massacres at the hands of the crusaders 900 years ago?
>>       The expulsion from England 700 years ago.
>>       The massacres in Germany at the time of the Black Plague?
>>       The Edict of Expulsion in Spain 500 years ago?
>>       The hundreds of thousands of Jews in Eastern Europe who
>>               were murdered 300 years ago during the Ukranian
>>               rebellion against Poland.
>>                                       (Frank Silbermann)

>This major theme, that our security is tied to our allegiance  to
>the  Torah, is reiterated in the prophets and the sages. However,
>one may have to be a prophet, or a great sage, to relate specific
>Divine retributions to specific sins. However, this does not stop
>us from recognizing,  in  general,  that  Divine  retribution  or
>chastisement is behind major catastrophes. Also, some Rabbis feel
>that they can extract general object lessons from something  like
>the  holocaust.
>
>1) You asked what I meant by assimilation in the above quote.   I
>mean,  in  a  general  sense,  embracing  foreign ideologies  and
>practices (idolatry in Biblical times) and drifting away from the
>Torah.					(Y. Samet)

I see two kinds of assimilation.  One where Jews try to redefine
the Law (in the case of Reform Judaism and "Humanistic Judaism")
and another where Jews simply reject Judaism in general.
In this discussion do you make any distiction between the two?

For instance, if a baptized Jew remains a (apostate) Jew,
and Jewishness is hereditary, then Spain and South America
is FULL of Jews who don't even realize it (descendants of
the Marranoes).  They don't seem to be suffering from anti-semitism.

By your theory, I suppose if Russia and the U.S. destroy each other,
then it will be because of the Jewish assimilation in both nations.

>2) A major source for the theme I put forth is found  in  parshas
>be'chukosai (Lev. 26).			(Y. Samet)

Doesn't this passage also explain the GOOD FORTUNE that is supposed
to befall the Jews who DO keep the covenant?  During the holocaust,
the frum were attacked at least a much as the apicursim.

And even if we all do become frum again, like in the middle ages,
well, we didn't have it so good even then.  If anti-semitism is divine
retribution, then maybe the whole rabbinical tradition was a mistake.
Maybe we should go back to the way we were before there was anti-semitism.
Maybe we should all become Sadducees and offer sacrifices at backyard alters.

One reason for the heavy assimilation in the US and Russia is that
many Jews are FED UP with this kind of "divine retribution."
Any good animal trainer knows that you get better results
using rewards for proper behavior than with punishments for incorrect behavior.
Punishments lead to DIFFERENT behavior, not necessarily the DESIRED behavior.
If anti-semitism is divine retribution, then why is God so clumsy with it?

	Frank Silbermann

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (05/09/85)

> I see two kinds of assimilation.  One where Jews try to redefine
> the Law (in the case of Reform Judaism and "Humanistic Judaism")
> and another where Jews simply reject Judaism in general.
> In this discussion do you make any distiction between the two?

The 2 types of assimilation you cite are basically similar. I  do
think  there is a distinction, however, between Jews who wilfully
choose the path of assimilation and those who are  born  into  an
assimilated  society. The latter are referred to as "children who
were captives of the nations" by the Talmud.  They are  not  very
liable  for  their assimilated  situation, as it was not a matter
of choice for them. They are only liable to the extent that  they
reject  any  opportunities  to   investigate/discover  true Torah
Judaism.

> For instance, if a baptized Jew remains a (apostate) Jew,
> and Jewishness is hereditary, then Spain and South America
> is FULL of Jews who don't even realize it (descendants of
> the Marranoes).  They don't seem to be suffering from anti-semitism.

I'm  told  there  is  alot  of  antisemitism  in  Argentina,  for
instance.

> By your theory, I suppose if Russia and the U.S. destroy each other,
> then it will be because of the Jewish assimilation in both nations.

Not  necessarily.  I  imagine  that   an  evil  nation  could  be
destroyed  for  its  own sins, as in the lesson of the flood.  On
the other hand, the Talmud says  that  "calamities  come  to  the
world  only  for  the  sake  of  Israel". This is a Judao-centric
theory of the forces guiding history and current events. It means
that  whatever  happens  is  calcuated  by Hashem in terms of its
effects (positive or negative) on the Jewish people (as a whole).

> >2) A major source for the theme I put forth is found  in  parshas
> >be'chukosai (Lev. 26).                       (Y. Samet)
>
> Doesn't this passage also explain the GOOD FORTUNE that is supposed
> to befall the Jews who DO keep the covenant?  During the holocaust,
> the frum were attacked at least a much as the apicursim.

A good point. It seems likely to me that the passage is  speaking
mainly  about  our  fate as a nation, rather than as individuals.
The Talmud says that on Rosh Hashana Hashem  judges  individuals,
nations,  and the world. If a major calamity befalls a nation, it
means that the  righteous  people's  deeds  were  not  enough  to
outweigh  those  of  the  wicked. (Remember that Sodom would have
been saved had there been 10  righteous  people.)   The  question
remains,  "How  is  justice  served if the righteous are punished
along with the wicked?" Three answers come to  mind:  1-We  don't
really know who is righteous. 2-The righteous will be compensated
for their suffering in the world to  come.  3-The  righteous  are
held  accountable  for  failing  to  influence  their brothers to
repent.

Even if destruction is decreed on a nation, a person  may  escape
this  fate  via  his  individual judgement. A Tzadik may be saved
because he has some  special  merit,  or  a  special  mission  to
fulfil.  A  Rasha may be saved because he has a mission to do, or
because he is so bad that he has no portion in Olam Haba. In  the
last case, any reward which he has earned via good deeds can only
be repaid in this world.

> And even if we all do become frum again, like in the middle ages,
> well, we didn't have it so good even then.  If anti-semitism is divine
> retribution, then maybe the whole rabbinical tradition was a mistake.
> Maybe we should go back to the way we were before there was anti-semitism.
> Maybe we should all become Sadducees and offer sacrifices at backyard alters.

The argument that Jewish tragedies "prove" that our  religion  is
wrong  is  a  familiar Christain theme. Christianity considers it
valid to "prove" or "disprove" the basic  validity of a  religion
from history. We don't. The validity of our tradition is based on
logic (this is a broad issue which has to be treated  separately)
rather than interpretation of prophecies miracles, and historical
events. In fact, the talmud states that Rebbi  Eliezer  the  sage
was  excommunicated  for failing to yield to the majority opinion
of the sages, even though he brought miraculous proofs (including
a  voice  from heaven) to indicate that he was correct. The Torah
tells us  to  stone  a  prophet  who  attempts  to  overturn  our
tradition  by  bringing  miraculous proofs. It also warns us that
Hashem will test us via such false prophets.  The Ran (a  rishon)
says  that  the  sages  of  Rebbi Eliezer's time were subjected a
variation of that type of test.

> One reason for the heavy assimilation in the US and Russia is that
> many Jews are FED UP with this kind of "divine retribution."
> Any good animal trainer knows that you get better results
> using rewards for proper behavior than with punishments for incorrect behavior.
> Punishments lead to DIFFERENT behavior, not necessarily the DESIRED behavior.
> If anti-semitism is divine retribution, then why is God so clumsy with it?

This question is asked by many people. It reduces  to  "Why  does
G*d   hide."   The  Torah  refers  to  Hashem's  "hiding"  as   a
punishment itself: "hester ponim".   ("I  will  sureley  hide  My
face.") Hester ponim is part of the calamity of golus (dispersion
of the Jews). This is a punishment which fits our "crime", namely
that  we acted as if Hasehm were not there and the world were not
run by  Divine  providence.  The  punishement  is  that,  on  the
surface,  the world seems to be abandoned by Hashem. One now  has
to make a  more active effort to discern Divine  benevolence  and
justice.  Without educating oneself to that outlook a person will
be tempted to view the world as unjust, deny G*d, get  "FED  UP",
and thereby license himself to lead life as he pleases. Somewhere
in life that approach may "crash". In this way, personal  tragedy
can  be  a blessing in disguise, for it can lead a person to seek
out G*d and change his ways. Obviously,  this  doesn't  work  for
animals, but it works for many of us humans.

			Yitzchok Samet

dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (05/12/85)

[]
Yitzchok Samet writes:
> The argument that Jewish tragedies "prove" that our  religion  is
> wrong  is  a  familiar Christain theme. Christianity considers it
> valid to "prove" or "disprove" the basic  validity of a  religion
> from history. We don't. The validity of our tradition is based on
> logic (this is a broad issue which has to be treated  separately)
> rather than interpretation of prophecies miracles, and historical
> events.

But weren't you doing exactly this (i.e. trying to show that history
agrees with the predictions of the Jewish religion, which certainly
can be interpreted as trying to "prove" the Jewish religion from
history) when earlier you wrote:

> This major theme, that our security is tied to our allegiance  to
> the  Torah, is reiterated in the prophets and the sages. However,
> one may have to be a prophet, or a great sage, to relate specific
> Divine retributions to specific sins. However, this does not stop
> us from recognizing,  in  general,  that  Divine  retribution  or
> chastisement is behind major catastrophes. Also, some Rabbis feel
> that they can extract general object lessons from something  like
> the  holocaust.

Isaac Dimitrovsky

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (05/15/85)

> Yitzchok Samet writes:
> > The argument that Jewish tragedies "prove" that our  religion  is
> > wrong  is  a  familiar Christain theme. Christianity considers it
> > valid to "prove" or "disprove" the basic  validity of a  religion
> > from history. We don't. The validity of our tradition is based on
> > logic (this is a broad issue which has to be treated  separately)
> > rather than interpretation of prophecies miracles, and historical
> > events.
>
> But weren't you doing exactly this (i.e. trying to show that history
> agrees with the predictions of the Jewish religion, which certainly
> can be interpreted as trying to "prove" the Jewish religion from
> history) when earlier you wrote:
>
> > This major theme, that our security is tied to our allegiance  to
> > the  Torah, is reiterated in the prophets and the sages. However,
> > one may have to be a prophet, or a great sage, to relate specific
> > Divine retributions to specific sins. However, this does not stop
> > us from recognizing,  in  general,  that  Divine  retribution  or
> > chastisement is behind major catastrophes. Also, some Rabbis feel
> > that they can extract general object lessons from something  like
> > the  holocaust.
>
> Isaac Dimitrovsky

The topic being debated was how to view what happens. Frank Silbermann suggested
that the tragedies of our history point to an error in our fundamental
beliefs. I answered that our fundamental beliefs are based on more solid
ground than historical interpretation. This does not preclude us from
attempting to understand history however. Once we establish the fundamentals,
we  can use them to guide our understanding of the world. Still, we cannot
be sure that any Divine act was for a specific reason. (That would require
a prophet.) We can only attempt to draw general conclusions which conform
to the overall Torah outlook, and to react to tragedies by searching our
ways and trying to correct errors that we discover in ourselves (individually
and collectively).

					Yitzchok Samet