[net.religion.jewish] Ordinary people

mf@cornell.UUCP (mf) (05/19/85)

In article <5692@umcp-cs.UUCP> Charley Wingate writes:

> What should frighten people most about Nazism is that it was brought
> into existence and perpetuated by ordinary, "good" people.  It could
> happen again anywhere, even in Israel; even in the USA.
>
> Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe

I believe Nazism could happen--does happen--in the USA; in fact it has
many supporters in this country, some of which are active in this very town.

To say that it could happen in Israel displays either a crass ignorance of
what Nazism stands for, or, worse, an identification with some of their
aims.  To refresh your mind on who their target is (my people) and who
their supporters are, here is a collection of recent local grafitti:

    Hey Jews I mean so called. You are not Jew in the Bible, you see if
    you don't be a Christian you should be in Hell like Auschwitz.

    You belong in a concentration camp with the rest of the hebes at
    Cornell...  Long live Nazism! [swastika] (and the KKK) I also hate
    fucking niggers!

    No wonder so many of you [Jews] were destroyed by Hitler... You
    deserved it.

    Hitler lives in the hearts of all real men.  Broil a Jew today.

    So... let's bake, broil or cook evenly in an oven for 30 minutes
    (or till evenly burnt) a Jew today.  P.S.  Don't forget to shower
    the Jew first.

    Hitler had the right idea long live Auschwitz and Dachau as shrines
    to our god Adolph Hitler.

In article <1843@cornell.UUCP> cornell!mf writes:

>> [me]
>> What should frighten people most about Nazism is that it was brought
>> into existence and perpetuated by ordinary, "good" people.  It could
>> happen again anywhere, even in Israel; even in the USA.
>>
>> Charley Wingate    umcp-cs!mangoe
>
>I believe Nazism could happen--does happen--in the USA; in fact it has
>many supporters in this country, some of which are active in this very town.
>
>To say that it could happen in Israel displays either a crass ignorance of
>what Nazism stands for, or, worse, an identification with some of their
>aims.  To refresh your mind on who their target is (my people) and who
>their supporters are, here is a collection of recent local grafitti:

[List of anti-semetic graffiti omitted]

You're missing the point completely.  Israel, by the very nature of its
concentration upon nazism, is quite suceptible to some sort of persecution
of another group.  Just listen to Meir Kahane; what he says can easily be
perverted into race hatred.

It is precisely when a nation thinks itself to be most civilized that the
risk is greatest.  Contemplation of the evils of Nazi Germany should lead
one to self-examination, and examination of one's own nation.  When it
directs one's gaze outward, the tendency towards intolerance and persecution
is increased.  This is why I see a problem with the world jewish community's
current fixation with the Nazis; it must be remembered that others have also
persecuted, and unbridled pursuit of evil can easily breed intolerance.
Remember the House Un-American Activities Committee.

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

        "For the mouse is a creature of great personal valour." - C. Swift