[net.religion.jewish] Jewish Singles

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (05/05/85)

[]
> What's Jewish about it ??? Is it because they play on Shabbat ????
> or because they eat Tarfut ??? or maybe because they have mixed
> social events. The definition of Jewish is and has always been
> defined by the Torah.All other forms of Judaism are frauds.
> How far down have we sunk ?????
>                                      Asher Schechter

This is one of the most important topics to come across the newsgroup
in a while.  The question is: "What are Jewish Singles supposed to do?"
If I read Asher correctly, he would have us meet through a matchmaker.

I read the posting and the "party" starts at 8:00; Shabbat is over at
around 9:00 on that day.  So, if you don't live within walking distance
and are *strictly* shommer shabbat and live in the NY/NJ area you could
get there by 10:30 at the latest if you leave NY at 9:15 or so.
I do not plan on going because I have something else in mind for that
night but what is wrong with "mixed social events?"  Are there really
people out there who think that the "evil inclination" is going to do
you in by dancing with Jewish Single MOTOS?

Now, I may be reading Asher wrong.  He may simply be saying that
Singles Dances sponsered by YM/YWHA's and other non-frum organizations
shouldn't have the word "Jewish" in the title.

All jking aside, I would like to pose the question again:

What is the best way for non to semi-frum Jewish Singles to meet?
( I am using frum as an alias for "fanatic")

Personally, I dislike blind dates, am fed up with the NY singles bar/disco
scene, and don't care to answer ads in the "Jewish Week".
I have found that the best way to meet is at parties but sometimes
it is hard to come up with a good guest list.  My definition of good
guest list is simply a list with  the same number of male and female
names on it!!!

Well, what do *you* think?
Shalom,
David Seth Green  AT&T Bell Labs   path:  ihnp4!mhuxi!dsg

PS  Thank you Asher for prompting me to post something that
has been on my mind for a few months.

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (05/06/85)

> This is one of the most important topics to come across the newsgroup
> in a while.  The question is: "What are Jewish Singles supposed to do?"
> If I read Asher correctly, he would have us meet through a matchmaker...
>
> ... Are there really
> people out there who think that the "evil inclination" is going to do
> you in by dancing with Jewish Single MOTOS?...
> All jking aside, I would like to pose the question again:
> What is the best way for non to semi-frum Jewish Singles to meet?
> ( I am using frum as an alias for "fanatic")

1) Yes David. The halacha clearly forbids mixed  dancing  (except
between a married couple in private). If you like I'll give you a
reference. The sponsoring of singles dances by so-called orthodox
organizations is in flagrant disregard of this fact.

2) Matchmaking is not a joke, it's a tradition dating back to the
bible.  Moreover,  professional  matchmaking  is  a  fast growing
business today which caters to many non-Jewish singles who,  like
you, are fed up with the singles bars/disco scene. Selecting on a
mate for life may be the  most  important  decision  you'll  ever
make.   A   responsible   matchmaker   (whether  a  friend  or  a
professional) can be an invaluable asset  in  finding  you  dates
which  are  compatible. It may seem unromantic to look for a wife
the way you look for a job,  but  the  pragmatism  is  definitely
there. Considering the soaring divorce rate, matchmaking deserves
consideration.

I know of at least  one  Jewish  matchmaking  organization  which
caters  to  the spectrum of Jewish singles. Anyone interested can
feel free to contact me.

				Yitzchok Samet

mls@wxlvax.UUCP (Michael Schneider) (05/07/85)

> ... the "party" starts at 8:00; Shabbat is over at
> around 9:00 on that day....
>
> Now, I may be reading Asher wrong.  He may simply be saying that
> Singles Dances sponsered by YM/YWHA's and other non-frum organizations
> shouldn't have the word "Jewish" in the title.
>
> All joking aside, I would like to pose the question again:
>
> What is the best way for non to semi-frum Jewish Singles to meet?
> ( I am using frum as an alias for "fanatic")
>
> David Seth Green  AT&T Bell Labs   path:  ihnp4!mhuxi!dsg

The above abstract of David's posting brings forward two questions and answers.
First, should a Jewish organization have activities on Shabbat?  And, second,
are frum people fanatics?  I know a number of high ranking people in industry,
education, and government who consider themselves frum.  They are, by no means
fanatics.  They simply follow the laws of the Torah.  What happens when a
Jewish organization holds activities on Shabbat?  For those who follow the
Law, it can cause problems.  Non-Jews do not distinguish between frum and
non-frum, they only see that a Jewish organization holds activities at the
same time a frum person says he or she is unavailable.  I have had to
face this a number of times; it made me look like the fanatic David
mentions above - a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I realize that not everyone
is observant, but why should "official" organizations, seen by non-Jews
as a representatives of the Jewish people, act in violation of Jewish law
and cause problems for those who are observant?

M. Schneider

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (05/09/85)

[]
> > All joking aside, I would like to pose the question again:
> >
> > What is the best way for non to semi-frum Jewish Singles to meet?
> > ( I am using frum as an alias for "fanatic")
> >
> > David Seth Green  AT&T Bell Labs   path:  ihnp4!mhuxi!dsg

> The above abstract of David's posting brings forward two questions and answers.
> First, should a Jewish organization have activities on Shabbat?  And, second,
> are frum people fanatics?
> M. Schneider

Thanks for fixing my typo on the word jking (sic) but PLEASE stick to the
question that I originally posted.  So far I have received more private email
than net postings about my question which I believe is for the benefit of
many readers, not just me.  I am not advocating breaking Shabbat Laws and
as for frum = fanatic, well... I am entitled to my opinions.  Aren't you
( and others ) wasting valuable time reading netnews instead of learning
Torah? (-: (-:

sieg@bocar.UUCP (B A Siegel) (05/09/85)

Newsgroups: net.religion.jewish
Subject: Re: Jewish Singles

> First, should a Jewish organization have activities on Shabbat?  And, second,
> are frum people fanatics?  I know a number of high ranking people in industry,
> education, and government who consider themselves frum.  They are, by no means
> fanatics.  They simply follow the laws of the Torah.  What happens when a
> Jewish organization holds activities on Shabbat?  For those who follow the
> Law, it can cause problems.  Non-Jews do not distinguish between frum and
> non-frum, they only see that a Jewish organization holds activities at the
> same time a frum person says he or she is unavailable.  I have had to
> face this a number of times; it made me look like the fanatic David
> mentions above - a self-fulfilling prophecy.  I realize that not everyone
> is observant, but why should "official" organizations, seen by non-Jews
> as a representatives of the Jewish people, act in violation of Jewish law
> and cause problems for those who are observant?

> M. Schneider

The problem does not pertain to Shabbat alone.  I participate in a local
softball league (Middlesex county, New Jersey) sponsored by the local
Jewish Federation (or YMHA).  The teams are made up of local synagouges,
temples, Jewish community centers..  The games are played on sunday mornings.
Well this years schedule includes games scheduled on sunday May 26, (Shavuot
day 1) and sundays July 7,28  (fastdays 10'th of Tammuz & 9'th of Av).
The chutzpah of scheduling games on shavuot & 9'th of Av, by a Jewish
organization is appaling and in my opinion is not anti-frum BUT anti Jewish.

				Barry Siegel

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (05/09/85)

> > What is the best way for non to semi-frum Jewish Singles to meet?
> > ( I am using frum as an alias for "fanatic")
>
> 2) Matchmaking is not a joke, it's a tradition dating back to the
> bible.  Moreover,  professional  matchmaking  is  a  fast growing
> business today which caters to many non-Jewish singles who,  like
> you, are fed up with the singles bars/disco scene. Selecting on a
> mate for life may be the  most  important  decision  you'll  ever
> make.   A   responsible   matchmaker   (whether  a  friend  or  a
> professional) can be an invaluable asset  in  finding  you  dates
> which  are  compatible. It may seem unromantic to look for a wife
> the way you look for a job,  but  the  pragmatism  is  definitely
> there. Considering the soaring divorce rate, matchmaking deserves
> consideration.

	True, matchmaking is a nice way to meet compatible people. However,
 it puts alot of pressure on the people on the date to make sure the
 date goes well. There are enough pressures in going out, trying to impress
 the other person, that one does not need the added pressure of knowing
 that the prson is spending alot of money on a girl ( or if she pays, on a
 guy ) he doesn't even know. If you know the person beforehand, then you
 know what you're getting into, to some extent, and you can trust your own
 judgement that you'd be willing to spend an evening with the person you
 are going to be with. When you go through a matchmaker, you don't know
 what you're getting into. You are trusting someone else's opinion of what
 he thinks you want. I know that there are few people who know what kind of
 a girl I want to go out with ( and they are for the most part past girl
 friends [ how I hate that term ]). So you go out with a girl you don't know
 and you spend alot of money. There is pressure to make sure you get your
 money's worth. And for te very religious who use this as the only method,
 and don't date for pleasure, there is even more pressure to see if this
 person will eventually become your spouse. People tend to act unnaturally,
 and they do not reveal their true selves lest the other person not like what
 he ( or she ) sees. Because of these pressure conditions, many people get
 married not really knowing the person they are marrying, which after a
 while leads to divorce ( not in all cases but in many ). This is probably
 one of the leading causes for divorce among the religious.

	I do not have any alternate plans. I wish I did. However, we must
 The one thing to
 remember is to look carefully before making a decision, and really make
 sure you know who the other person is.

				Eliyahu Teitz.

wkp@lanl.ARPA (05/12/85)

I personally don't care when or where Jewish singles meet other Jewish
singles.  (As long as they meet....)
--

bill peter                         ihnp4!lanl!wkp

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (06/02/85)

> > What is the best way for non to semi-frum Jewish Singles to meet?
> > ( I am using frum as an alias for "fanatic")
>
> 2) Matchmaking is not a joke, it's a tradition dating back to the
> bible.  Moreover,  professional  matchmaking  is  a  fast growing
> business today which caters to many non-Jewish singles who,  like
> you, are fed up with the singles bars/disco scene. Selecting on a
> mate for life may be the  most  important  decision  you'll  ever
> make.   A   responsible   matchmaker   (whether  a  friend  or  a
> professional) can be an invaluable asset  in  finding  you  dates
> which  are  compatible. It may seem unromantic to look for a wife
> the way you look for a job,  but  the  pragmatism  is  definitely
> there. Considering the soaring divorce rate, matchmaking deserves
> consideration.

Perhaps we will see a resurgence of professional matchmaking in the future.
Unfortunately, at the moment it is not very practical for me,
as few women in the 18 to 25 age group employ a matchmaker.
I doubt that a professional matchmaker would have access to women
who do not also seek out his services.

The problem is that the clientel is imbalanced.  Most of the women are
middle-aged or older, whereas most of the male clients seek young women.
The result is that the matchmaker tries to "sell" you on someone
who is not what you are looking for.

	Frank Silbermann