[net.religion.jewish] Tolerance

sms@eisx.UUCP (Samuel Saal) (02/20/85)

From J Abeles and ???

> >                                     ... In the Israeli army soldiers are
> > not allowed to desecrate the Sabbath in public places (they are free to do
> > as they please when in private -- unlike Iran where religious observance is
> > forced on you). ...

> This still amounts to religious observance being forced upon people.

WRONG. It amounts to respect by one group for another. Desecration of the
Sabbath can be avoided without too much effort to one's own personal
integrity (where I define PI as the need to do things which some consider
to be forbidden on the Sabbath - only moderately circular) The soldier
may carry his gun on Shabbat but he should also avoid the neighborhoods
inhabited by those who would be offended by his driving down the street.
This seems reasonable to me as being respectful. Not as an imposition
of one view onto another person.

--
Sam Saal ..!{ihnp4}!eisx!sms

Vayiphtach HaShem et pee ha'Atone.

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (02/21/85)

[]
> The soldier
> may carry his gun on Shabbat but he should also avoid the neighborhoods
> inhabited by those who would be offended by his driving down the street.
> Sam Saal ..!{ihnp4}!eisx!sms

Does this mean that the soldier should only guard non-shomer shabbos
neighborhoods?  My opinion is that anyone should be offended by a soldier
carrying a gun at anytime and any place, but sometimes self defense
against terrorists and hostile neighbors is needed.

martillo@mit-athena.UUCP (Joaquim Martillo) (02/22/85)

I  have  not  looked  recently  into the question of carrying weapons on
Shabbat, but I remember that Ribbi Me'ir would  permit  the  wearing  of
weapons  on the Shabbat even when there was not a question of preserving
life.  The case of a soldier wearing a rifle on Shabbat for the sake  of
preserving lives from terrorists is probably not so hard.

Yehoyaqim Martillo

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (02/22/85)

> []
> > The soldier
> > may carry his gun on Shabbat but he should also avoid the neighborhoods
> > inhabited by those who would be offended by his driving down the street.
> > Sam Saal ..!{ihnp4}!eisx!sms
>
> Does this mean that the soldier should only guard non-shomer shabbos
> neighborhoods?  My opinion is that anyone should be offended by a soldier
> carrying a gun at anytime and any place, but sometimes self defense
> against terrorists and hostile neighbors is needed.

I believe that Torah    authorities find  little  or no  halachic
problem  for  a  soldier on duty carrying his gun. Also, soldiers
don't  get   stationed   in   neighborhoods.    More   typically,
neighborhoods have their own mishmar ezrachi, a voluntary defense
arrangement. There are civil guards  stationed with guns  at  the
Western  Wall  (sometimes  with  beards and yarmulkas) and I have
never  heard  about  complaints.   In  practice,   soldiers   are
generally  respectul,  and  virtually  no one really gets uptight
about them.

On the other hand,  the status quo is to avoid  OFFICIAL  Sabbath
desecration  by  the  government or its representatives. Menachem
Begin felt  strongly  about  this.   Thus,  while  what  he  does
privately  is  not  clear, he considered it incompatible with his
office, or for the State, to openly desecrate  Shabbos,  and  was
willing  to  walk  at  Sadat's funeral. Similarly, he ate no meat
during his visit to Washington during the nine  days.    Whatever
his inner beliefs, he impresses me as a mensche.

It's sad that people with axes to grind regard such sensitivity as
insensitivity to themselves or submission to coercian.

					Yitzchok Samet

ask@cbdkc1.UUCP (A.S. Kamlet) (02/25/85)

> I  have  not  looked  recently  into the question of carrying weapons on
> Shabbat, but I remember that Ribbi Me'ir would  permit  the  wearing  of
> weapons  on the Shabbat even when there was not a question of preserving
> life.  The case of a soldier wearing a rifle on Shabbat for the sake  of
> preserving lives from terrorists is probably not so hard.

The word WEARING (instead of carrying) reminded me of a store in
Brooklyn which made house keys into tie clips. For someone who wanted
to lock his house and not have to carry his house key, he could wear
(not carry) the key.   The tie clip apparently became an article of
clothing when it was worn.
--
Art Kamlet  AT&T Bell Laboratories  Columbus {ihnp4 | cbosgd}!cbrma!ask

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (03/01/85)

In article <499@sfmag.UUCP> samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) writes:
|| There are civil guards  stationed with guns  at  the
||Western  Wall  (sometimes  with  beards and yarmulkas) and I have
||never  heard  about  complaints.

Just an aside: carrying on Shabbos at the Western Wall would never
be a problem, since it's inside the Old City (a walled city) and
therefore permitted. Now, is a gun muktzah?

(I would think not, since although using it would be performing
melachah, it could/would only be used in cases of pikuach nefesh.
Therefore, it should be non-muktzah by definition.)

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (06/04/85)

> Is the absolute belief in the importance of Christian theology
> consistent with the toleration of Jews?  I am sure that Christians
> believe that disbelief in da-da-da is also an abomination.
> Tolerance is not tolerance if you already accept what you're "tolerating."
>
> Frank Silbermann

You seem to assume that I believe in  absolute  tolerance.   This
would  mean  that  I  am  contradicting  myself in not tolerating
others.  I don't  recall  saying  anywhere  that  I  believed  in
absolute  tolerance. On the contrary, I've argued that this is an
untenable and self-contradictory philosophy.  I've accused  those
who espouse it of violating their own principles, not mine.

If some group believes in what I am convinced is  a  false  view,
then  I say they are wrong. If they believe in killing me, then I
try to avoid being  killed.  I  won't  invite  mortal  danger  by
flaunting  my  disagreement, but if they ask me to bow down to an
idol, I won't, even if they kill me.

If I am disagreeeing with  Jews  on  the  net  who  subscribe  to
absurd   dogmas,  I'll disagree undauntedly. The most they can do
is rant at me for not accepting their party line.

                                        Yitzchok Samet

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (06/05/85)

> You seem to assume that I believe in  absolute  tolerance.   This
> would  mean  that  I  am  contradicting  myself in not tolerating
> others.  I don't  recall  saying  anywhere  that  I  believed  in
> absolute  tolerance. On the contrary, I've argued that this is an
> untenable and self-contradictory philosophy.  I've accused  those
> who espouse it of violating their own principles, not mine.  [SAMET]

And those accusations have been answered.  Tolerating all that do not
interfere with the lives of other people might be labelled by you as
"absolute tolerance".  For the last time, answer this:  In the absence
of such "absolute tolerance", why would people be wrong in being intolerant
of you and your kind?  If you can't show me why, if you only have ethnocentric
self-interest as the basis for your believing that being intolerant of you
is wrong, then what have you got?

> If some group believes in what I am convinced is  a  false  view,
> then  I say they are wrong. If they believe in killing me, then I
> try to avoid being  killed.  I  won't  invite  mortal  danger  by
> flaunting  my  disagreement, but if they ask me to bow down to an
> idol, I won't, even if they kill me.

So why should the homosexuals be obliged to bow down to YOUR idol?

> If I am disagreeeing with  Jews  on  the  net  who  subscribe  to
> absurd   dogmas,  I'll disagree undauntedly. The most they can do
> is rant at me for not accepting their party line.

It wouldn't surprise me to see you disagree with yourself.  You've already
shown how blatantly hypocritical your ideas are.
--
"Ya dee apockety, rum fing f'doo.  Ni, ni, ni, YOWWWWWWWWWW!"
				Rich Rosen 	ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (06/06/85)

> >     Rich, you leave yourself wide open to the same criticism. So far,
> >  you have shown as much intollerance on this net as anyone else. But your's
> >  is of course in the holy name of tolerance. Why is tolerance so holy ?
> Precisely because it is the only way different groups of human beings can
> expect to share a planet without mass destruction.  If that's not important,
> then just say so.

Yes,  avoiding  destruction  is  important.  However,   not   all
intolerance  leads to mass destruction. Absolutizing tolerance IS
making it holy.

Also, many believe  that  tolerating  immoral  practices  invites
Divine  retribution  on society. The Talmud cites homosexual sins
as  one  of  the  reasons  for  the  Flood,  and  associates  the
destruction  of  Sodom with sodomy. You are free to disagree, but
recognize that I am just as free to define what I consider to  be
destructive to society and the world, and to disagree with you.

> Who was it that said "extremism in the defense of liberty is a virtue"?

The freedom to express condemnation towards practices you view as
wrong is also a liberty.

> Above I have stated the difference between being intolerant of people who are
> doing nothing to interfere in others' lives and being intolerant of people who
> are doing PLENTY to interfere in others' lives...

1 - You are virtually equating tolerance  with  non-interference.
Holding   an   intolerant  view  towards  certain  practices,  or
expressing that view, is not the same as interference in  peoples
actions.  You  can  be  intolerant  without  violating individual
liberties. One can believe  in  civil  liberties  and  still  not
tolerate  views and practices. The ACLU can be intolerant towards
Nazi beliefs  (and condemn them) and still defend  their  liberty
to hold those beliefs. (I am not an ACLU-nik, just pointing out a
logical distinction.)

2 - Your idea of wrong is not hurting others and not  interfering
with their lives.  Other people have different ideas of right and
wrong.  They  don't  have  to  go  along  with  your  restrictive
definition, and they don't have to prove their definitions to you
(or anyone) before they express them. While  you  condemn  others
for  believing  that  they  have a monopoly on truth, you seem to
believe that about yourself.

					Yitzchok Samet

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Arthur Pewtey) (06/07/85)

> Also, many believe  that  tolerating  immoral  practices  invites
> Divine  retribution  on society. The Talmud cites homosexual sins
> as  one  of  the  reasons  for  the  Flood,  and  associates  the
> destruction  of  Sodom with sodomy. You are free to disagree, but
> recognize that I am just as free to define what I consider to  be
> destructive to society and the world, and to disagree with you.  [SAMET]

Are you free to define it for other people who DO diagree and see no
rational proveable basis for your notions?

>>Who was it that said "extremism in the defense of liberty is a virtue"?

> The freedom to express condemnation towards practices you view as
> wrong is also a liberty.

Freedom of expression is different from killing or otherwise punishing
a homosexual because you view his/her acts as "wrong".  Which is what you
are advocating.  Is your freedom of expression any different from the Nazi who
would kill or otherwise punish you?

>>Above I have stated the difference between being intolerant of people who are
>>doing nothing to interfere in others' lives and being intolerant of people who
>>are doing PLENTY to interfere in others' lives...

> 1 - You are virtually equating tolerance  with  non-interference.
> Holding   an   intolerant  view  towards  certain  practices,  or
> expressing that view, is not the same as interference in  peoples
> actions.  You  can  be  intolerant  without  violating individual
> liberties. One can believe  in  civil  liberties  and  still  not
> tolerate  views and practices. The ACLU can be intolerant towards
> Nazi beliefs  (and condemn them) and still defend  their  liberty
> to hold those beliefs. (I am not an ACLU-nik, just pointing out a
> logical distinction.)

Intolerance in belief of an individual ("I dislike that") is something
beyond the control of others.  Intolerance in action IS interference,
and that is what you have been advocating and what I have been discussing.

> 2 - Your idea of wrong is not hurting others and not  interfering
> with their lives.  Other people have different ideas of right and
> wrong.  They  don't  have  to  go  along  with  your  restrictive
> definition, and they don't have to prove their definitions to you
> (or anyone) before they express them. While  you  condemn  others
> for  believing  that  they  have a monopoly on truth, you seem to
> believe that about yourself.

Restrictive definition?   IT'S THE MOST LIBERAL AND OPEN DEFINITION THERE
IS!!!  The only people it excludes are those who...  Oh yeah, now I see
why YOU see it as restrictive.  What possible basis and justification
could you possibly come up for enforcement of any other system of right
and wrong?  (Please answer this, if you can.)
--
Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen.
					Rich Rosen    pyuxd!rlr

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (06/07/85)

Senator Goldwater was paraphrased (or misquoted) as follows:

> Who was it that said "extremism in the defense of liberty is a virtue"?
What the Senator said was "Extremism in the defense of Liberty is no
vice."  Maybe I'm being picky-picky, but I see a significant difference
in degree and kind between the two.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}