[net.religion.jewish] G*D, g%D, G}d, 5od, etc.

aaron@homxa.UUCP (A.CHESIR) (06/05/85)

There's something about this network and many other media that perplexes
me. This something is the unnecessary compulsion to write the G-o-d word
in an obscure form. I assume for the moment that this crazy custom is a
nutty derivative of the law in the Torah against erasing or otherwise
eradicating G*&'s name.

This is nonsense (the derivative, not the actual law).

It is very clearly written in many valid sources (the one that comes to mine
is the Sefer HaChinuch) that the prohibition against erasing %^d's name is
restricted to only a select few of ^$@'s names (I think that the Sefer Ha-
Chinuch lists seven). Of the lists given in these sources, there is no mention
of any english, spanish, serbo-croation, south-korean, pascal, c, or even
YIDDISH names (or pronouns). Besides, people who subscribe to that custom
when grossly inappropriate are exposing their lack of knowledge of the
dinim (laws).

				Sincerely,

				Aaron Michael Chesir
				AT&T Bell Labs (Engineering Heaven)
				..ihnp4!homxa!aaron
				(201) 949-4590

schechte@csd2.UUCP (asher schechter) (06/10/85)

   Very funny, but not so fast. Just because you don't think that something is
right, or proper doesn't mean you should go shooting off at it.

   It happens to be that there is a difference of opinion amongst the later
rabbinical scholars as to whether one is permitted to erase or otherwise di-
spose of the Divine Name.
  It is true that both the SHACH, Yoreh De'ah 179:11,and R.Akiva Eger,Yoreh
De'ah 276:9 state definitively that the Divine Name in any other language be-
sides Lashon Hakodesh(Hebrew) can be erased. However other authorities (the
Netivot Ha-Mishpot and Urim VeTumim 27:2, to mention two) disagree. The latt-
er go as far as saying that the written use of the french word "ad-eu"(the
root meaning of which is "with %-d") is forbidden since careless disposal
could lead to halachic problems.

  For an exhaustive overview of this problem and its consequences I steer
you to Contemporary Halakhic Problems written by J.David Bleich under
the category Miscellaneous Questions; The Names of 5od.

  PS. The next time you write &*d in Serbo-Croation be careful.

                                         Yitchak Schechter

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (06/11/85)

In article <csd2.3780059> schechte@csd2.UUCP (asher schechter) writes:

>   It happens to be that there is a difference of opinion amongst the later
>rabbinical scholars as to whether one is permitted to erase or otherwise di-
>spose of the Divine Name.
>  It is true that both the SHACH, Yoreh De'ah 179:11,and R.Akiva Eger,Yoreh
>De'ah 276:9 state definitively that the Divine Name in any other language be-
>sides Lashon Hakodesh(Hebrew) can be erased. However other authorities (the
>Netivot Ha-Mishpot and Urim VeTumim 27:2, to mention two) disagree. The latt-
>er go as far as saying that the written use of the french word "ad-eu"(the
>root meaning of which is "with %-d") is forbidden since careless disposal
>could lead to halachic problems.

Don't forget the Netivot Ha-Mishegas, who says we shouldn't even erase
any English word which MIGHT mean %$#@& in some OTHER language.

Considering the root meaning of 'g-d', maybe we can't erase that, either.

	Frank Silbermann

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (06/17/85)

In article <unc.414> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:
>Don't forget the Netivot Ha-Mishegas, who says we shouldn't even erase
>any English word which MIGHT mean %$#@& in some OTHER language.
>
>Considering the root meaning of 'g-d', maybe we can't erase that, either.

Let me also add that the great Tzaddick Rabbi R. Rosen
said that the only sure way to avoid erasing d-G's name
was to avoid writing any references (however indirect)
to any Supreme Being.	:-)

Seriously, I am not trying to ridicule the sages, but rather those
who would quote a a scholar's decision on a general network WITHOUT
including any hint of the reasoning behind the said decision.

	Frank Silbermann

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (06/20/85)

In article <unc.414> fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) writes:
> Don't forget the Netivot Ha-Mishegas, who says we shouldn't even erase
> any English word which MIGHT mean %$#@& in some OTHER language.

Does that mean one cant write ANYTHING in binary?  Afteral, There are an very
large number ofpossible codes besides ascii. One of them is sure to decode as
a devine name!  :-)
--

	Barry Buchbinder
	Agrigenetics Corp.