[net.religion.jewish] Adam and Adam ?!!

samet@sfmag.UUCP (A.I.Samet) (06/20/85)

> > Is unmarried straight sex any more permissible than Gay sex?

>   No.

   Sorry to disagree, but there is an entire volume of the  Rambam's
   Mishneh Torah devoted to forbidden sexual relations. It cannot be
   summarized in one word, even for the "now generation".

   Among the possible cases involving  (hetero)sexual  transgression
   are relations with:

    A niddah ( Jewish  woman who requires mikveh immersion to become
    permissible)
    A married  Jewish woman
    A married  non-Jewish woman
    A married  non-Jewish man
    A relative forbidden by the Torah
    A relative forbidden by rabbinical ordinance
    A kedesha (promiscuous woman)
    A pilegesh (non-promiscuous mistress)
    A non-married Jewish woman who is  not  promiscuous  and  not  a
    pilegesh
    A non Jewish man or woman

   These prohibitions have differing levels of severity.

   In the case of adultery (with a married  Jewish  woman),  incest,
   and  niddah,  authorities  agree  that  one is obligated to allow
   himself  (herself)  to  be  killed   rather   than   commit   the
   transgression.  The  same  is  true  of  a  male  homosexual act.
   (Lesbianism  would  probably  fall  under  a  lesser  prohibition
   concerning "Egyptian acts".)

   However, comparison on the  basis of  punishment  is  incomplete.
   Male  homosexuality  has  other  aspects  which set it apart from
   heterosexual sin.  For  one thing, the Torah singles  it  out  by
   calling   it   an   "abomination".   Also,  midrashic  statements
   interpret the "corruption of flesh", which led to the destruction
   of  most  of  humanity  by  the  Flood, as homosexual corruption.
   There is also an episode of Jewish civil  war  recorded  in  Nach
   (Pilegish  B'givah)  which came about as a backlash to immorality
   involving (among other things)  a  single  isolated  instance  of
   homosexuality.   (Homosexual practice was widespread in Egypt and
   Cannan but virtually unknown among Jews.)

   Why the special emphasis on this particular sin? Let's study some
   Chumash.

   When man was created, he was placed in the Garden of Eden,  which
   is  supposed  to  be genuine paradise. Still G*d said, "it is not
   good for man to be alone" and created a "helpmate" for him.

   Following the creation of Chava (Eve), the Torah says  "therefore
   shall  a  man  abandon  his  father  and mother and cleave to his
   wife". Since Adam had no parents, the Torah must  be  telling  us
   something  about  mankind. This is the first such statement about
   man's lifestyle, and  hence we should regard it as  an  important
   and   fundamental  statement  about  man  and  his purpose. Man's
   deepest relationship until marriage is with his parents.   He  is
   being  told  to  "abandon"  that  relationship   in  favor  of  a
   relationship with a wife.  He  is expected to make this sacrifice
   as  the  only  way  to actualize his deepest and most fundamental
   nature and to fulfill the purpose for which he  was  created.  We
   see  that purpose in the commandment  "be fruitful and multiply",
   in the fact that Chava is characterized as  the  "mother  of  all
   life",  and  in the biblical principle of "lasheves y'tzoro" (the
   world was created to be settled).

   The accounts of the creation of Adam and Chava are depict them as
   an  inseparable  entity.   They  are created as one body and then
   separated. They are destined to reunite and become  "one  flesh".
   This  all  tells  us  that the man-woman relationship is basic to
   human nature.  Man without a mate is not whole. He is  incomplete
   and undeveloped. with his "better half", he fulfills  the purpose
   of creation  and  actualizes  the  "image  of  his  Creator",  by
   becoming  a "creator" himself (of human beings created in his own
   image).  Man and Woman then become a  sacred  unit.  The   entire
   world was created for just one such couple!

   A homosexual lifestyle is antithetical to this purpose. Not  only
   does  man  pervert  the   mission of humanity, he denies a  vital
   aspect of his own self, the dimension of a wife.

   A society  which offers  such  a  lifestyle as a major option  is
   seriously  out  of tune with the plan of creation.  We may wonder
   why the generation of the flood was deemed unworthy to  continue.
   Perhaps  they  failed  to  stay  in  tune with the world and it's
   purpose. The emergence of widespread homosexuality at  that  time
   was  apparently  cited  by  the  Torah  as  final  proof of their
   incorrigibility.  (The same sin is mentioned in  connection  with
   Sodom, which was also obliterated.)

                              Yitzchok Samet

   PS 1 -  While it may be in vogue to argue that  some  people  are
   "created"  homosexual,  i.e.,  that  this is fundamental to their
   nature, I believe that this view is  absolutely  antithetical  to
   the Torah view, lehavdil.

   PS 2 - The  use  of  the  word "gay" tends to obscure white might
   properly be  called  "sodomy". I think we should avoid  accepting
   false connotations of any kind.

dimitrov@csd2.UUCP (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (06/22/85)

[]
A. Samet writes:

> PS 2 - The  use  of  the  word "gay" tends to obscure white might
> properly be  called  "sodomy". I think we should avoid  accepting
> false connotations of any kind.

and earlier, when listing various kinds of impermissible sex partners:

> A niddah ( Jewish  woman who requires mikveh immersion to become
> permissible)

You seem to be unnecessarily obscure yourself here, considering that
there may be people reading this group who don't know Jewish law.
I think these two lines might more properly be written:

> A woman having her period, or one who has had her period in the past
> and not gone through the required rituals of purification afterwards.

Isaac Dimitrovsky
allegra!cmcl2!csd2!dimitrov   (l in cmcl2 is letter l not number 1)
251 Mercer Street, New York NY 10012

Just because it's a preconceived notion doesn't mean it's wrong!