[net.religion.jewish] Force vis a vis Halacha

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (07/12/85)

Avi Feldblum writes (excerpted):
> First, I have tried to make it clear that Orthodox Judaism does not
> force anyone to follow the Torah...
>                   ... First, within Orthodox Judaism today, those
> actions that fall outside our definition of maximal tolarence can be
> dealt with only by societal pressure, not by actual physical violence
> against the offender...

> Israel is a much more difficult issue. The issue there is political,
> more than religious.

On the subject of force:  (1)  In the case of the agunah (divorced woman
who is not granted a bill of divorcement enabling her to remarry) force
is condoned by all "halachik" authorities to be used against the former
husband; I seriously think this is a case of force being used to make
someone follow halacha, since the need for the bill of divorcement only
exists in the context of halacha.  (2)  In general, the actions of those
who are Jewish must be considered to be Jewish actions and Jewish ways
of acting.  It is a contrivance to separate the Jewish religion from the
Jewish people.  With this in mind, I point out that force has been used
by the Satmar Hassidic community in Williamsburg (sp?) to prevent the
association by a member of the Lubavitch Hassidic community with Satmar
individuals.  There is no question in my mind that this was condoned
by the highest level of the Satmar hierarchy since the Satmar's refused
to aid the New York Police in finding the criminal assaulters.
(3)  Israel Jews who were idealistic religious settlers on the West Bank
have just been convicted of murder and were sentenced to life imprisonment
for murdering Palestinian Arabs.  I am ashamed of these people, but it
must be noted that their religious zeal definitely plays a role in their
belief that they were right in what they did.  Not only their religious
zeal is in question, but how about the Young Israel of Forest Hills
in Queens, New York City, which (according to The Jewish Week, published
in New York City) held a fundraising drive to send thousands of dollars
to the aid of these criminals?  (4)  I disagree that one can separate
Judaism from the actions of the Jewish people, separate religion from
politics.  This is merely an intellectual abstraction.  Ultimately,
Jewish traditional practice will be based upon the norm in Israel today.
Certainly, it is futile to claim that in Israel the Jewish people practice
orthodox/orthopractic Judaism.

--J. Abeles