[net.religion.jewish] % of "non-religious" jews

megann@ihuxi.UUCP (Meg McRoberts) (08/02/85)

> sam@bu-cs.UUCP (Shelli Meyers) writes:
>
> >You have mentioned that there are "non-religious" Jews, who still consider
> >themselves Jews.  Perhaps this is so, but they are definitely a minority.

somewhere i saw the statistic that more than 50% of the people in
the united states who consider themselves jewish are affiliated with
a synagogue at all -- orthodox, reform, conservative, reconstructionist,
anything.  granted that "religious" is not synonymous with "affiliated
with a synagogue" but given the number of people who are affiliated with
a synagogue and seem to be much more secular jews than religious jews,
i would hesitate to say that the "non-religious" jews are a clear
minority.  unless, of course, one considers gastronomic judaism
a form of religious judaism. . . [  :-)  ]

meg mcroberts
{...}ihuxi!megann
at&t bell laboratories
naperville, illinois

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (08/07/85)

If one starts with the known immigration of Jews to the USA before
1921 and assumes a conservative repoduction rate, the number of Jews
in the USA should be over 18 million.  Since only 6 million are
willing to admit, Jewish heritage, observant Jews are definitely a
tiny minority.  `Obadyah Yosef (as well as others) have repeatedly
declared that so-called reform and conservative Judaism cannot be
considered religions.  Considering as non-religious, all those who do
not meet the standards of the Sefardi rabbinate, I calculated a few
months ago the 98% of Jews in the USA were apostate.

*Original Article Follows*

/* csd2:net.religion.jewish / megann@ihuxi.UUCP (Meg McRoberts) /  1:55 am  Aug  2, 1985 */

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (08/10/85)

In article <3780064@csd2.UUCP> martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) writes:

>If one starts with the known immigration of Jews to the USA before
>1921 and assumes a conservative repoduction rate, the number of Jews
>in the USA should be over 18 million.  Since only 6 million are
>willing to admit, Jewish heritage, observant Jews are definitely a
>tiny minority.  `Obadyah Yosef (as well as others) have repeatedly
>declared that so-called reform and conservative Judaism cannot be
>considered religions.  Considering as non-religious, all those who do
>not meet the standards of the Sefardi rabbinate, I calculated a few
>months ago the 98% of Jews in the USA were apostate.

The rates are probably not that much different in Israel or the USSR.
If we count out all the Jews who do not meet the religious standards
of any Orthodox rabbinate, how many, do you estimate would be left?
Just curious.

	Frank Silbermann