[net.misc] Paper Money

braun@aluxz.UUCP (01/18/84)

In addition to denominations of paper currency that are uniquely colored,
why not also have them uniquely sized or shaped?  Perhaps that would be
a help to blind people.  It might also reduce mistakes made by retailers.

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (01/18/84)

 >> In addition to denominations of paper currency that are uniquely
 >> colored, why not also have them uniquely sized or shaped?  Perhaps that
 >> would be a help to blind people.  It might also reduce mistakes made by
 >> retailers.

That is already routinely done in many countries, including West Germany,
where no two denominations resemble one another in either size OR color.

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/19/84)

In addition to denominations of paper currency that are uniquely colored,
why not also have them uniquely sized or shaped?  Perhaps that would be
a help to blind people.  It might also reduce mistakes made by retailers.
============
This is standard practice in much of Europe.  Personally, I don't like
it.  The big bills get their edges mashed, and the small bills get lost
in the pack.  What I do like is the Dutch (or is it Danish) idea of
putting a sequence of embossed dots on the money so that you can feel
whether you have a 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100-unit bill without looking.

Someone else thought that Canada might have a problem with people
using coloured bits of paper as fake money because people wouldn't
pay attention to the shapes and inscriptions. That doesn't happen.
Money looks like money, and not much else looks like money unless
the forger went to a lot of trouble.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt

robert@erix.UUCP (Robert Virding) (02/06/84)

>  >> In addition to denominations of paper currency that are uniquely
>  >> colored, why not also have them uniquely sized or shaped?  Perhaps that
>  >> would be a help to blind people.  It might also reduce mistakes made by
>  >> retailers.
>
> That is already routinely done in many countries, including West Germany,
> where no two denominations resemble one another in either size OR color.

I have always thought that the normal way is to have different colours AND
different sizes of paper curency and that the US was an exception. So far I
have not been to any country with the same size and colour bills!

Another feature that can be alot of help is to have different shaped coins,
eg. octagon or with a whole in the middle.

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (02/09/84)

From: akov68::boyajian

"Another feature that can be alot of help is to have different shaped coins,
eg. octagon or with a whole in the middle."

			--- decwrl!decvax!mcvax!enea!erix!robert

	But since they don't have holes in them, our coins *obviously* have a
"whole" in the middle!
	(I don't mean to pick on someone from outside the U.S. on his English
usage, but I couldn't resist. Nothing personal, I assure you.)

				  --- jayembee
				      (Jerry Boyajian, DEC Maynard)
				UUCP: (decvax!decwrl!rhea!akov68!boyajian)
				ARPA: (decwrl!rhea!akov68!boyajian@Shasta)