[net.religion.jewish] Julie Harazduk and the Trinity

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (08/25/85)

Normally, I do not reply  to  this type of  article but Julie Harazduk
has claimed to  be Jewish.   Generally,  I consider the Jewishness  of
Ashkenazim suspect unless they are acting in a recognizably Jewish way
by   Sefardi   standards.   Most of  what     most Ashkenazim consider
Jewishness  is basically some barbaric  customs picked  up from German
and Slavic peasants over the past  couple of centuries.   Also many of
the ideas which  Ashkenazim  consider Jewish  religious ideas in  fact
come from Christianity.

We just had a good example in net.religion.jewish where the shma`  was
related  to  the  word `ed (meaning  witness) via some  really dubious
analysis and this was then related  to matyrdom.   This idea is fairly
easily traceable  to primitive Christian   concepts and was  basically
unknown  among  Sefardi   and oriental  Jews who    were isolated from
contacts with Ashkenazim.  Sefardim have generally been much less into
random self-immolation than Ashkenazim.

Likewise the style of Ashkenazim is clearly Christian.

For  example,  for my parents   a hakam whether from  Morocco  or from
Greece  or from India   is basically recognizable   as  such while  an
Ashkenazic  rabbi and  in  particular a Hassidic rebbe   is  basically
totally off  the wall  in  style.  The style  of the  hakam is clearly
normatively  Jewish if only because over  such great  distances and in
contact such diverse non-Jewish communities, the style of  a hakam can
only be originally Jewish.

The hassidic rebbe, however, really originates in  one small region of
Europe.  A Hassidic rebbe is  most  clearly like Russian Old  Believer
clerics and   I  suspect there  was  much  exchange   between Orthodox
Schismatics (many  of whose leaders   were  in fact  Ashkenazim)   and
Ashkenazi  religious groups.   Lately   I  have begun  to suspect that
perhaps the Lubovitcher rebbe was accused of treason in Tsarist Russia
because Russian  Old Believers were   finding  refuge from persecution
among the Lubovitchers.  The enemies of the Lubovitcher Rebbe seem  to
have made this charge.

Anyway, there  can be no  doubt that at least 90%  of Ashkenazim  find
aspects of  the Ashkenazi  shitah repugnant (otherwise  they  would be
practising) and  that almost  all  Sefardim find some  aspects of  the
Ashkenazi  shitah repugnant.  Generously  granting  the Jewishness  of
Ashkenazim, I would prefer to believe the Christian accretions in the
Ashkenazi shitah have driven away Ashkenazim  from Yahudut rather than
believe that over 90% of Ashkenazim are resha`im.

Therefore, granting her Jewishness, Harazduk can  be partially excused
for converting to Christianity  simply because the Ashkenazi community
was so contaminated by Christian ideas anyway.  Of course,  in view of
the long history  of Christian mistreatment of Jews  and recent almost
extermination  of Jews by the   foremost European  society,  accepting
European religion    and  assimilating   into   European    society as
Ashkenazim have done in droves is simply contemptible.

Such a conversion is particularly contemptible because Christianity as
a  strong-proselytizing  religion  encourages hatred  of   all   other
cultures (otherwise missionaries would not be sent out to wipe out the
religions and   cultures  of other  peoples).   Jews   should   have a
particular aversion to supporting such hatred.  Also, four generations
or  more   ago,  Harazduk's ancestors   steadfastly   and courageously
maintained their  Jewishness in the face of  heathen mistreatment  and
persecution.  Now  when living Jewishly  is easy,  Harazduk adopts the
culture of the European barbarian  persecutors and accepts a  religion
which damns her more courageous  ancestors for all time.   And on such
ridiculous evidence!

>/* csd2:net.religion.christian / jah@philabs.UUCP (Julie Harazduk) / 10:38 am  Aug 14, 1985 */
>>In article <326@aero.ARPA> homeier@aero.UUCP (Peter Homeier (MISD)) writes:
>>>Although the nature of the Trinity is most clearly expressed in the New
>>>Testament, there are an abundance of references to this in the Old Testament
>>>as well, beginning in Genesis 1:26, at the very beginning:  "Then God said,
>>>'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness;'".

>>    I was taught that in this verse God is speaking to the earth. Let us
>>(God and the earth) make man. Which is just what God did. He made man
>>from the earth, and then breathed his spirit into him. This explanation
>>always seemed to make more sense to me.

>I can't picture God talking to the dust before he breathed life into it.
>The only acceptable explanation, outside of evidence for the Trinity, that
>I have heard is that He was talking to the host of angels in heaven.  Rashi
>(a renowned Jewish Old Testament commentator) suggests this possibility. But
>I don't believe this is true, even though it makes sense to me.

Harazduk   makes  a  fundamental error  about  Rashi.  Sometimes Rashi
enlightens difficult  points   (sometimes when there    is no  obvious
difficulty but  that is because Rashi had  ruah  haqodes and could see
difficulties which most  of us today could not).   Othertimes he shows
how scripture teaches proper behavior.  The royal use of the plural is
so obvious that Rashi does not comment.  The next verse says  wayibra'
(and he made).  Therefore, Rashi learns here proper conduct.

If Harazduk still insists that here is a  clear reference to plurality
of divinity, I must point out na`aseh is pretty flimsy evidence.  This
word is qal 1st person plural future but  it is  also nif`al masculine
singular  present participle.   Nif`al  sometimes serves  as    simple
passive but othertimes carries connotation worthy or suitable.

The verse could be translated:

	And God said Man is suitable to be made in our image after our
	likeness ...

But this diverges rather radically from the traditional understanding.
But such a  possible translation is important because  the verse could
easily have been:

	wayomer 'e-lohim na`aseh 'et ha'adam besalmenu kidmutenu ...

in which let us make would have  been the only  interpretation.  There
is a reason for the ambiguity.

The verse is basically an  editorial comment  of a sort  which was not
made when anything else  was created.   Why is  this editorial comment
made?  God has  two  aspects: justice  and   compassion.   So   far in
creation only justice was  operative but in  the creation of  man both
justice and compassion were needed because  man has intelligence hence
"let us make" and this is one way to interpret in our image  after our
likeness.  Since both aspects  were operative in  man's  creation  man
himself has and reflects these aspects and is able to perceive them in
the Lord  and thus was  suitable  to be  made in our  image after  our
likeness.  Later Israel becomes the  new  Adam. And Israel synthesizes
Abraham's  chief  aspect   (compassion)  and  Isaac's     chief aspect
(justice).

Yizhaq of  Troqi refutes  the ridiculous Christological interpretation
directly.  (I take no responsibility for this translation).

Chapter X.

Genesis i. 26, "And God said, We will make man in our image  according
to our likeness, and they shall rule over the fish of the sea," etc.

From the words, "We will make man,"  the Christian  expounders of this
verse  infer,  that  an allusion to  a plurality of  divine persons is
made.

Refutation: -- If the verb na`aseh, we will make,  related to a divine
plurality, why do we  find  immediately afterwards the singular  form,
"And God created  man  in His image?" or  why  not,  "And they created
man?" The same   explanation which we  have given  in  the  preceeding
chapter on the employment of the plural form [represents authority and
power], holds also good in regard to the present passage.

To bring to mind the manifold powers of the  Almighty employed in  the
creation of the noblest  of His creatures, the  plural is employed  by
way of high distinction.  We will point  out some other passages which
contain the verb in the plural for the sake of emphasis, although they
indicate a strict unity of person.  Genesis  xi, 7, "Go  to, let us go
down and let us confound their speech," instead of "let me," etc.  Job
xviii. 2, "Ye shall understand, and then we will speak"  (instead of I
will speak).

The words of the Almighty, "We  will make man  in our image," may have
been addressed to  the Angels, for  "He maketh  known his  will to his
servants."  Thus we find in Genesis xviii, 17,  "Should I conceal from
Abraham  what I am doing?"  In   the  same  chapter occurs a  parallel
expression to the above-mentioned passage  in  Genesis xi.7; but there
the singular number is used, "I will go down  and see."  If a doctrine
of plurality of personages were to be enforced by the grammatical form
of words, the very alternations which  occur between the  singular and
the plural  would  frustrate such a  doctrine, and   suggest doubt and
uncertainty instead of confidence and conviction.  Our Holy Scriptures
contradict in the  most direct terms every opinion  which departs from
the belief in  an immutable unity, or ascribes   corporeity  to Him in
whose spiritual likeness the soul of man is created with the object of
acknowledging, obeying, and adoring the eternal One God..

It is remarkable, that  Christians are desirous to  make us believe in
the doctrine of the trinity, which is totally unauthorised by our Holy
Bible, and even by their own New Testament.

Our Divine Law tells us expressly in Deut. vi. 4, "Hear, O Israel, the
Lord our God is one Lord."

Ibid. iv 35, "Thou hast been shewn these things, in order to know that
the Lord is God, and there is none besides Him."

And again, ib. (ver. 39) "Thou shalt know to-day and take it to heart,
that the Lord he  is  God in  heaven above, and on  earth beneath, and
there is none besides."

Isaiah xliii. 2, says, "I, even I, am the Lord, and there is no savior
besides me."

Ibid.  xliv. 6, "Thus  saith  the Lord  the King  of  Israel  and  his
Redeemer, I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no
God."

Ibid. lv. 5, "I am the Lord, and there is none else besides me."

Again (ver. 6), "In order that they shall know, from the rising of the
sun [east] unto the west, that there  is no one  besides me;  I am the
Lord, and there is none else."

Ibid. xl. 18, "And to whom will you liken God, and what likeness  have
you to compare with him."

Jeremiah x. 6, "There is none like Thee, O Lord.  Thou art  great, and
thy name is great in power."

Hosea xiii. 4, "I am the Lord thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou
shalt know no God but me; and there is no Savior besides me."

Psalms lxxxvi. 10, "For thou art great and doing  miracles; Thou alone
art the Lord."

Nehemiah ix. 6, "Thou alone art the Lord, Thou has made the heavens of
the heavens, and all their hosts," etc.

1 Chronicles xvii. 20,  "There is none like unto thee, and there is no
God like unto thee, and there is no God besides thee, according to all
we have heard with our ears."

We might adduce numerous other similar corroborative passages, were it
needful.  In order to counteract the dangerous effect of the belief in
a good and evil principle  (a belief prevailing in Persia,  etc.), our
Divine Instructor  tells us,  "Behold now that  I even I   am ever the
same, and there is no God with me; I kill and I bring to life; I crush
and  heal again."   Isaiah  xlv. 7,  "He  formeth  light and  createth
darkness,  maketh  peace and createth evil;  I  the Lord am  doing all
these things."  The Deity, who calls into being  conditions and events
of  totally opposite natures,  and who,  by  mere power of will brings
things into being, or reduces them into annihilation, is, according to
all scriptural testimony, the most absolute Unity, and as such without
the slightest   shade of   mysticism.    This  Unity  can    alone  be
comprehended by   our finite  understanding.    He who alone possesses
absolute power, and is the first cause,  is the  Creator of Beings who
depend on His will, remain ever,  and in every  respect, subjected  to
His Supreme Mandate, and are liable to  change and decay.  Hence, also,
human reason subscribes to the doctrine that God is an  absolute and a
perfect Unity.

This absolute Unity cannot, under any logical view, be  divided into a
Duality or a Trinity.  If such division is to be forced upon the faith
of man, reason remonstrates against it; the faculty of though given to
us by the  Almighty protests  against a false  representation   of the
Divine Being, and proves that God has  constituted the mind in such  a
manner as to worship Him in accordance with His true attributes.  From
the moment that a divisibility  of essence is   attributed to God,  we
should  be compelled to  maintain, with   the Polytheists,  that He is
deficient of  omnipresence, and  that  He  is comparable  with created
matter.  How can we,  then repudiate such clear  testimonies  of God's
unity, as are contained in passages like the following, Isaiah xl. 18:
"And unto whom will ye liken God, and what likeness have ye to compare
unto Him"?  We cannot even grant that  God from His own resolve  would
reproduce, and double or  treble Himself.   Such an assumption   could
only spring from the narrowest views  of a sophistical or a  perverted
mind but it could not emanate from  a faith which  commands veneration
and rational obedience.

Even the  authors  of the  New  Testament have   given opinions  which
disprove the  untenable position of the Christians  who make belief in
the Trinity an indispensable portion of their creed.  Matthew xii. 32,
says, "And whosoever speaketh a word against the  son of man, it shall
be  forgiven him; but whosoever speaketh  against the  Holy Ghost,  it
shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world
to come."  The same is repeated in Mark iii. 28, 29 and  Luke xii. 10.
These authorities  of the Christians  have  their   data  here clearly
averred  that there  is  no identity between  the  true Deity and  the
personages subsequently  added to  the name of  the  Divine Being.  In
Mark xiii.32, we have also a proof of the want of identity between the
son and the father: "But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, not
the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."

Nor do we find throughout the New Testament, any evidence to shew that
the   belief  in a   Trinity  constitutes a  part    of the   code  of
Christianity, or that Jesus and God are to be held as One and the same
being.  On the contrary, Jesus himself is made to  profess, in Matthew
x. 40, "He that receiveth you receiveth me, and  He that receiveth  me
receiveth  him that sent me."  Here  Jesus  puts  himself  merely as a
messenger of  God.  Paul,  in his epistle  to the  Romans v.  15, also
says,  "The gift  by  grace, which  is by  one man  Jesus Christ" etc.
Matthew xx. 18, again says, " Behold, we go to Jerusalem,  and the son
of man shall be betrayed,"  etc., and in verse  28 he states, "Even as
the son of man came not to be ministered to, but to minister etc.

In the very prayer instituted by Jesus, and denominated after him "The
Lord's Prayer," his disciples are taught  to invoke the  Father who is
in heaven, but are not  told to use the  combination subsequently made
of Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.  We see clearly that the New Testament
affords not  a single  evidence, to  authorize a change  from the pure
belief in Divine Unity to the complex  and  unintelligble dogma of the
trinity.

>>   In short - I see no evidence for the trinity in the Old Testament.

>How about Isaiah 7:14 or Isaiah 9:6 or Psalm 110 where the Son is called
>God but distinctly a separate person?  Especially in Psalm 110, "The Lord
>said to my Lord...."  I think this is evidence enough.  And there is numerous
>mention of patriarchs and prophets being filled with the Spirit of God (in
>some translations it is capitalized and in others it is not).

I am not even going to bother with Isaiah 7:14.  `almah  does not mean
virgin in   Biblical or any other  Hebrew.   Parthenos does  not  mean
virgin in Homeric Greek.  Since parthenos has other meanings in  Greek
beside virgin,  since the   word is being  used to   translate `almah,
parthenos in  Alexandrian  Judeo-Greek simply does  not  mean  virgin.
Isaiah 7:14 refers to contemporary events.

Likewise Isaiah 9:6  makes perfect  sense  referring to   contemporary
events.  To get the desired prophetic Christological sense the passage
would have to be:

	ushmotaw yikar'u pele' yo`es 'el gibor 'abi`ad sar-salom.

In other words you need a disjunctive waw and plural verb. For reasons
I have never understood Ashkenazim  work hard at grammatical ignorance
and are proud of it.  The Jewish reading of the actual text is:

	And he who is Wonderful, a Counsellor and Omnipotent God, a
	Father of Eternity, he called his (the child's name) Prince of
	Peace.

The  child is Hezekiah son  of Ahaz   and "is entitled  the  Prince of
Peace,  because of   the  peace  granted   to  Israel in  the days  of
Hezekiah."

From Yishaq of Troqi:

The preceding epithets are applied  to  the Almighty as indications of
marvellous occurrences accompanying the life of  Hezekiah, "God showed
Himself  Wonderful," causing for  his  (Hezekiah's) sake, the shade of
the sundial to recede; as "Counsellor," the  Lord established His  own
designs, and frustrated those of Sennacherib; as the "Omnipotent God,"
He evinced His  divine attribute by  suddenly destroying  the  immense
army of the invading king; as "Father of Eternity," and Ruler of time,
who, according to His pleasure, adds  to and diminishes  from the life
of mortals, He manifested His power by prolonging the life of Hezekiah
for a period of fifteen years.

Psalm 110 is even easier to explain.

This is a song of David.

How  does  one go  about interpreting   it?   Well, if   unlike  Julie
Harazduk, you can read the commentaries, you read the  psalm  and  the
commentaries at the same time.  Poetic biblical Hebrew  is simply hard
to  understand.   But  suppose you are  not   competant to  read   the
commentaries which are typically in Rabbinic Hebrew.

	ne'um h' la'doni seb limini

Who  does  dawid melek yisra'el  call my  lord?  Several possibilities
suggest themselves.   Moses or perhaps  the  patriarchs.  In  fact the
patriarchs are the better candidates because 'adoni seems to have been
a normal form of address to the pater familias in patriarchal times.

	`ad-'asit 'oyebeika hadom leragleika

This suggest a battle in which the  Lord  intervened.  Immediately the
rebellion  of  the  five kings   comes   to  mind   especially because
Melkisedeq blesses

	ubaruk 'e-l `elyon 'aser migen sareika beyadeika.

Later we find explicit reference to Melkisedeq so that this is a  good
interpretive path.

There  are some more battle  references which in  fact  could apply to
either 'Abraham's or Dawid's triumphs.

I find the line

	behadrei qodes merehem mishar leka tal yalduteika.

a little harder.

I would prefer yalduteika be less abstract a noun  so  that this could
be a reference to the promise

	'im yukal 'ish limnot 'et `afar ha'ares gam zar`aka yimaneh

but in fact  poetic biblical Hebrew does use   abstract nouns in  this
way.

But this could just be a way of referring to  the Dawid's achievements
and tying these  achievements   in  as continuing fulfilment  of   the
Abrahamic covenant.

	nisba` h' welo' yinahem
	'atah kohen le`olam al dibrati malki-sedeq.

Malki-sedeq  had a shot at being  a  patriarch but he  blessed Abraham
first and then the Lord second and  so his position  was supplanted by
'Abraham.  Likewise Dawid in his capacity as king of Israel acted as a
priest.   Once again  Dawid's  reign  is  tied  into  the   continuing
fulfilment of the Abrahamic covenant.

Now comes the movement from the far and near past into the future to
give hope to the people of Israel during  the suffering to come.

	The Lord at your right hand (in war -- as he was with Abraham
	and Dawid) has crushed kings on the day of his anger:

Switch to the future and generalize --

	He *will* judge among the nations, he has made full of
	corpses, crushed the head throughout the land:

	From the river in the way he *will* drink and will lift up his
	head.

(Last  line  obscure nowadays  -- though Sharon  might not think so --
ye'or in  Hebrew means   Nile  but it  is  in  ancient  Egyptian   the
translation of nahal).

Now if you do  not like this way of  looking at the  psalm, Yishaq  of
Troki handles as follows:

Psalm cx. 1, "The Lord said unto my lord, Sit  thou at  my right side,
until I make thine enemies thy footstool."

I heard once a Christian scholar plead that this passage can only have
reference to Jesus, who was the  combination of divinity and humanity;
for of whom else could David have spoken as "my  Lord" sitting at  the
right hand of the Almighty.

Refutation. -- To this I made  the foloowing reply:--  We attribute to
David the composition of the 137th  Psalm, commencing,  "On the rivers
of Babylon   we sat and   wept,"  a  Psalm obviously   treating of the
Babylonian Captivity, which took place  about four centuries after the
death of David.  An allusion to  so distant a  period could only  have
been made by a holy and an inspired writer.

There are also many passages in the book of Psalms which relate to the
poet himself, as for instance,  Psalm ii.7, "I  will declare it  as  a
law.  The Lord spoke unto me, Thou art my son, to-day I  have begotten
thee."  In the  same light must  be considered many  other  subsequent
Psalms.  There are Psalms of another character, the object of which is
to describe the period of the Jewish exile; to this  class belongs the
above-mentioned  Psalm  cxxxvii.  Of the   like prophetic character is
Psalm lxxix. 1, commencing, "O God, the  heathen have  come into thine
inheritance, they have defiled thy  holy temple."  In a  similar sense
we take Psalm lxxiv.10, "Wherefore, O God, hast thou for ever forsaken
us?"  All such Psalms were composed for the captives of Israel through
inspiration.  We  find  other  Psalms which have a   still more remote
bearing,  and take within  their range the gathering of  the captives,
and the days  of  the Messiah.   See,  for instance,  Psalm  xcvi.  1,
commencing, "Sing  unto  the  Lord  a new song,"  etc.  This and other
Psalms were dictated by holy  inspiration, and originated most  likely
from some occurrence which urged the mind of the poet to enlarge  upon
the  future   restoration  of Israel.    Sometimes the  cause   of the
production of such Psalms is  recorded and pointed  out by expressions
more or  less definite.  See,  for instance, Psalm  xx.   1, "The Lord
shall answer thee on the day of trouble,"  in which  David spoke first
of his own sorrow, and then passed over to those awaiting the children
of Isreal while  engaged  in hazardous warfare.   In the same category
stands the  Psalm, "God said  unto my Lord (master),  Sit  thou at  my
right-hand until I make thine  enemies thy footstool."  Firstly, David
speaks concerning himself, perhaps  taking occasion to  treat  on this
subject when his men had sworn "that he should no longer  go with them
to battle," on account of  the danger to which he   had so  repeatedly
exposed his life in conflict with the Philistines.  See 2  Samuel xxi.
17, "The the men of David swore unto him, saying, Thou shalt no longer
go out with us to battle, that thou quench not the  light of  Israel."
The psalm in question seems to have emanated from the impression  made
on the poet, while his men were  anxious to prevent  him from exposing
his life any more in battle, and speaking, as it were,  in their name,
he makes them utter an appeal to himself in the  following words, "God
saith to my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand until I make thine enemies
thy footstool."  Now, whether David was or was not the  author of this
appeal, we must allow that in any  case  this emphatic exhortation was
well calculated to work  a powerful effect  on the mind  of  a man  so
pious as King David.  Being thus assured of the protection  of God, as
confirmed by the words, "The Lord shall send the rod of they  strength
from Zion," which is, that "He will send thee help from his sanctuary,
He   will   support thee  from  Zion,"  as   that holy  city   was the
distinguished locality which "the Lord chose for his abode;" the words
which follow, "Thy people shall be willing  on the  day of thy power,"
mean,  Thy subjects, O  king, will freely  offer their lives to  spare
thine, while thou keepest away from danger.  The passage, "Thou art my
priest for ever according to the word  concerning Melchizedek," means,
Thou shalt, during all thy life, be unto me  like Melchizedek, king of
Jerusalem, who was denominated king and priest of  the most high  God.
See Genesis  xiv.  18, "And  Melchizedek,  king of Salem, caused bread
and wine to be brought out, and he was apriest of the  most high God."
That  David's sacred compositions  rendered him  worthy to  be adorned
with the title of priest appears evident enough from Scripture, as  is
exemplified in the Second  Book of Samuel,  where we  read, that David
built an altar, offered up burnt-offerings  and peace-offerings, which
accompanied by prayer  and entreaty, "were accepted  by the  Lord, and
the plague  was stayed  in  Israel."  The  words  `al dibrati in   the
passage in the psalm in question  mean "according to."   We find it in
the same sense in Job x., "according to thy knowledge.  The letter yod
in dibrati is  paragogic as the yod in  rabati (Lamentations  [Threni]
i.1). [I  would say  poetic use of  the  old construent genitive.]  We
must mention here, by way of digression, a misinterpretation given  to
the   passage, "And Melchizedek   brought out   wine  and bread."  The
Christians believe, that the bread and wine  were  offered as articles
of  sacrifice,  but   plain  sense  compels   us to  believe  that the
presentation of  these things was merely for  the entertainment of his
guests.  The tenth  part given  by Abraham to  Melchizedek,  qualified
that latter to be denominated priest of the Most  High God.   Hence we
see that the Psalmist meant none but himself,  in  the  composition we
have been treating of, while,  on the  other hand, he alluded to   the
future condition of the dispersed people, when  in his  inspiration he
proclaimed (Psalm xciv. 6), "Sing ye unto the Lord a new song, let the
whole earth sing unto the Lord."  Thus he says also  in the subsequent
psalm,  "The Lord reigneth;  let the earth   be glad, many isles shall
rejoice."   Those  psalms,  as  we said  above, allude   to the  still
unfulfilled  ingathering of   Israel.    It appears     to  be a  most
unjustifiable assertion of  the Christian expounder  of the  psalms to
maintain that the phrase, "To sit  at the right hand  of God," applies
to an actual son of God, for the  Bible contains  numerous proofs that
the metaphor, "the right  hand of God,"  solely signifies "Omnipotence
of the  Deity."  What other  interpretation  could  be assigned to the
following sentences (Ps.  cxviii. verse 16), "The  right   hand of the
Lord is exalted,  the right  hand of the Lord  worketh mighty things."
Exodus xv. 16, "Thy right hand, O Lord,  is glorified in strength; thy
right hand, O Lord, crusheth the  enemy."  Even when  speaking of man,
"the right hand"  implies  strength  and exertion.  See  for  instance
Psalm cxliv. 7, "And their hand  is the right hand  of falsehood."  To
take the word  in   a  narrow  and literal sense,    must involve  the
expounder in the glaring fallacy of applying corporeality to one  whom
he believes to be the Son of  God.  To a  Jew,  it would almost appear
blasphemy literally to ascribe a right or a left hand to  the Deity, a
spiritual being to whom no attribute of corporeality can be absolutely
ascribed.  When the  believer is urged  to place himself on the  right
hand of the Lord, he can only understand that  it is his  duty to seek
the protection of the Omnipotent.  The more we read  of Scripture, the
more proofs we  find   that  many parts    of   the Bible  have   been
misinterpreted in  order  to favour a  certain religious  dogma.   The
psalm we are treating of has the expression, "The Lord hath  sworn, he
will  not repent," which  phrase has been considered as  alluding to a
new dispensation by which  the sacrifices  of  flesh and blood  should
cease, and be substituted by oblations of bread and wine.   But it has
not been borne in mind that the Deity never changes his views.  "He is
not a  man  that he should repent."   Ordinances  once given must   be
binding upon us, and upon all succeeding generations.  We have already
disposed  of  this subject  in chapter xix.,  to  which we  refer  the
reader.

>If we didn't have the New Testament, then I could see explanations really
>varying to extremes.  But now that we've been enlightened, it's hard to
>overlook the distinct persons of God.

>>>Jesus is also the One who will come again
>>>to establish His kingdom here on earth, and to sweep away all evil forces in
>>>the battle of Armageddon.

>>  The last sentence is incredibly debatable, but the only thing that I
>>would like to discuss less than the trinity is prophesy.

>A debate on this could be fun.  I think it is important to believe that
>Jesus is coming again, but beyond that, I don't think that it should be
>a doctrinal concern.  It doesn't alter one's salvation any, I believe.
>The fact that Jesus is coming back does appear to be very important to
>the New Testament writer's and, especially, to Jesus Himself.  So I'm sure
>this is not debatable.

>> My advice is don't get too wrapped up in
>> the doctrine of the trinity. Believing in it, or not believing in it, is
>> not going to save or damn you. Although I do know people who would
>> disagree violently with that.

>Actually, I think it is advisable to search the Scriptures and seek God
>on this issue.  I believe the three persons of God are very much as Peter
>has described and that he has based his article on the Scriptures.

>God Bless you and Enlighten you,

>Julie A. Harazduk

Julie A.  Harazduk basically typifies  all the  nasty  things Sefardim
have been thinking about Ashkenazim over the past couple of centuries.
When Ashkenazim got into pravoslavie and imitating Christian ways, the
Torah lost its immediacy to the Ashkenazim.  Then  the Ashkenazim made
the error of considering    Europeans civilized  rather   than  merely
technically   competent.    Yet   when Europeans   demonstrated  their
animalistic barbarism   in World War II,   Ashkenazim could not  break
their  fossilized  mind-set and reject  European  ideas  and return to
normative Jewish ways but instead  went forward directly to  even more
assimilation and in fact in order to be  even more European would even
adopt this silly European  religion even when  the slightest study  of
the sources shows  the absence  of  any foundation for these religious
beliefs.

In fact with a little work the limitations of Ashkenazi background can
be transcended and the return to normative Judaism  can be made.  Even
if one is  unwilling to  make  the  effort,  hordes of decent   Jewish
literature in acceptable  translation  is  available even at  ordinary
Jewish bookstores.  Merely   perusing such literature  would  probably
prevent more  people falling prey  to  the silly ideas of  which Julie
Harazduk is a victim.

rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (08/27/85)

> Normally, I do not reply  to  this type of  article but Julie Harazduk
> has claimed to  be Jewish.   Generally,  I consider the Jewishness  of
> Ashkenazim suspect unless they are acting in a recognizably Jewish way
> by   Sefardi   standards.   Most of  what     most Ashkenazim consider
> Jewishness  is basically some barbaric  customs picked  up from German
> and Slavic peasants over the past  couple of centuries.   Also many of
> the ideas which  Ashkenazim  consider Jewish  religious ideas in  fact
> come from Christianity. [MARTILLO]

If I were to say to Martillo that the Jewishness of Sefardim is questionable
at best because what Sefardim consider Jewishness is basically some barbaric
set of customs picked up in a variety of countries over the last couple
of centuries, and that I would not refer to his actionsas "Jewish" unless
he was acting in a recognizably Jewish way by Ashkenazic standards, he would
probably call me a name like "vusvus".
--
"There!  I've run rings 'round you logically!"
"Oh, intercourse the penguin!"			Rich Rosen    ihnp4!pyuxd!rlr

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (09/06/85)

/* csd2:net.religion.jewish / rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) / 12:42 pm Aug 27, 1985 */

>> Normally, I do not reply  to  this type of  article but Julie Harazduk
>> has claimed to  be Jewish.   Generally,  I consider the Jewishness  of
>> Ashkenazim suspect unless they are acting in a recognizably Jewish way
>> by   Sefardi   standards.   Most of  what     most Ashkenazim consider
>> Jewishness  is basically some barbaric  customs picked  up from German
>> and Slavic peasants over the past  couple of centuries.   Also many of
>> the ideas which  Ashkenazim  consider Jewish  religious ideas in  fact
>> come from Christianity. [MARTILLO]

>If I were to say to Martillo that the Jewishness of Sefardim is questionable
>at best because what Sefardim consider Jewishness is basically some barbaric
>set of customs picked up in a variety of countries over the last couple
>of centuries, and that I would not refer to his actionsas "Jewish" unless
>he was acting in a recognizably Jewish way by Ashkenazic standards, he would
>probably call me a name like "vusvus".

In the original article I unfortunately used Jewishness in two senses:
Jewish lineage and the  inheritance of the  assembly  of Jacob (Jewish
faith and tradition).

As for the second usage, Sefardi Jewish customs  are fairly homogenous
over an   extremely wide geographic area  among   an extremely diverse
group  of  non-Jews.  Except  in a  few  specific cases borrowing from
non-Jews  is extremely  unlikely  origin for  Sefardic  Jewish custom;
therefore, when  Sefardi and Ashkenazi custom differ,   a Christian or
pagan origin for the Ashkenazi custom can usually be found.

As for lineage, strong evidence exists  that the Ashkenazi  population
in Europe absorbed  many  Karaites, Orthodox, and pietist protestants.
Therefore, Ashkenazi rabbis like Haim  Druckman should be  the last to
run around casting doubt on the lineage of Ethiopians  Jews (at  least
they don't look slavic like many Ashkenazim).  As long as Druckman and
his ilk   continue   this rude, crude  and  immature  behavior  (which
Sefardim outgrew over a century ago), I will continue to point out the
dubious Jewish lineage of  Ashkenazim.   Psychology, Druckman  et  al.
worry so much  about  Ethiopian Jewish lineage  in  order to  convince
themselves of the purity of their own dubious lineage.

Rosen should  be pleased.   He  was upset  when I said   he was Jewish
because his  mother was  Jewish.   Now I  can  logically  consider him
non-Jewish.  Rosen is such an  ignoramus that there  must have  been a
tradition of his ignorance.  Such  a tradition of  ignorance I take as
prima facie evidence of the Rosen family's non-Jewish origin.