[net.religion.jewish] Is Martillo a Typical Sefardim?

sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) (08/31/85)

----> line eater

     Basically the subject says it all.  Can I consider  the
opinions  expressed by Yakim Martillo (sp?) to be typical of
Sephardic Jews in this country (USA) or in the world.  Espe-
cially those opinions concerning Ashkenazim.  I hope he will
not object to this paraphrazing  of  his  opinion  and  will
correct  me  where I go wrong.  Yakim Martillo has expressed
opinions of this form:

(1)  The "Jewishness" of Ashkenazik Jews is always suspect.

(2)  Ashkenazik customs are inferior  to  Sephardic  customs
     with regard to expressing Jewish sentiments or beliefs.

(3)  The word of a Sephardic "hacham" is can  be  considered
     always  to  be more reliable than that of an Ashkenazik
     rabbi.

(4)  Ashkenazik Jews are responsible  for  all  assimilation
     and assimilation is entirely an Ashkenazik problem.

     Note that these views are  not  mine  and  may  not  be
anyone's  they  are  just  a summary of my impression of Mr.
Martillo's viewpoints as expressed  to  net.religion.jewish.
It  is  important  to  me  with regard to my sense of Jewish
identity to find out whether his viewpoint is  the  accepted
view of the Sephardic community or conclusions he came to on
his own.

-David Sher

9

9

--
-David Sher
sher@rochester

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (09/06/85)

/* csd2:net.religion.jewish / sher@rochester.UUCP (David Sher) / 10:24 pm  Aug 30, 1985 */
----> line eater

>     Basically the subject says it all.  Can I consider  the
>opinions  expressed by Yakim Martillo (sp?) to be typical of
>Sephardic Jews in this country (USA) or in the world.  Espe-
>cially those opinions concerning Ashkenazim.  I hope he will
>not object to this paraphrazing  of  his  opinion  and  will
>correct  me  where I go wrong.  Yakim Martillo has expressed
>opinions of this form:

Basically I speak only for myself.

>(1)  The "Jewishness" of Ashkenazik Jews is always suspect.

At least for the 95% or more who insist on acting like European or
Western non-Jews, this suspicion is quite reasonable.

>(2)  Ashkenazik customs are inferior  to  Sephardic  customs
>     with regard to expressing Jewish sentiments or beliefs.

At least in tefillah and probably  in other regards  this is  halakah.
You may check the responsa  of Jacob of Emden (an  Ashkenazi), ii, 15.
Luzzato  holds similar  opinions.  I  believe    the  Vilna Gaon  also
expressed this opinion but I am not certain.   Nathan Adler in Germany
considered Ashkenazi pronunciation erroneus.

>(3)  The word of a Sephardic "hacham" is can  be  considered
>     always  to  be more reliable than that of an Ashkenazik
>     rabbi.

No, I specifically  exempted  Ashkenazim   who act in a   recognizably
Jewish fashion by Sefardi standards.  I  do detect a ridiculous mental
fossilization  among Ashkenazi rabbis  in that  many continue to fight
irrelevant 19th century communal political battles.

>(4)  Ashkenazik Jews are responsible  for  all  assimilation
>     and assimilation is entirely an Ashkenazik problem.

While there has been Sefardic assimilation in the past and the present
time, the vast majority of such problems among  the Sefardic community
nowadays  can be   traced   to   Ashkenazi  interference in    Sefardi
communities since the middle 19th century.

As for Ashkenazi assimilation, the amount and speed of assimilation of
Ashkenazim in the USA has been at least rather de gouton.

>     Note that these views are  not  mine  and  may  not  be
>anyone's  they  are  just  a summary of my impression of Mr.
>Martillo's viewpoints as expressed  to  net.religion.jewish.
>It  is  important  to  me  with regard to my sense of Jewish
>identity to find out whether his viewpoint is  the  accepted
>view of the Sephardic community or conclusions he came to on
>his own.

I saw a joke in Carl Alpert's column:

An Israeli died, and his friend went to the Ashkenazi hevra kadisha to
arrange for the burial.  However, when the friend could not assure the
officials that the deceased  was  an Ashkenazi, they  refused to  bury
him.  So the friend went to the Sefardi burial society.  He was warmly
received, and  all arrangements made.  Asked if  the ethnic origins of
the deceased were not a matter of concern, the  official replied: "Not
at all.  If he was a Sefardi, then we are obliged to bury him.  And if
he was an Ashkenazi, we'll be happy to do so.

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (09/11/85)

> >(4)  Ashkenazik Jews are responsible  for  all  assimilation
> >     and assimilation is entirely an Ashkenazik problem.
>
> While there has been Sefardic assimilation in the past and the present
> time, the vast majority of such problems among  the Sefardic community
> nowadays  can be   traced   to   Ashkenazi  interference in    Sefardi
> communities since the middle 19th century.

	Maybe s'faradim didn't assimilate because the alternative was
 unappealing. In Israel, given half a chance, many s'faradim dumped their
 heritage. At least it took the ashkenazim a few centuries to assimilate.
 The s'faradim managed in just one generation. ( I always knew the s'faradim
 were better than the ashkenazim, now I see where they are better. This was
 thrown in out of total disgust at the recent trash posted by a certain
 s'faradi on the net. If there are other s'faradim out there in net land,
 would you let us know how you feel about us poor, non-Jewish ashkenazim.
 After all I might have to move to net.religion, or even n.r.c if I don't
 belong here ).

				Eliyahu Teitz.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (09/11/85)

In article <3780083@csd2.UUCP> martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) writes:

>>(4)  Ashkenazik Jews are responsible  for  all  assimilation
>>     and assimilation is entirely an Ashkenazik problem.
>
>While there has been Sefardic assimilation in the past and the present
>time, the vast majority of such problems among  the Sefardic community
>nowadays  can be   traced   to   Ashkenazi  interference in    Sefardi
>communities since the middle 19th century.

Don't forget that the first American Jewish group to assimilate
and (for the most part) disappear, was the first wave of immigration
to arrive.  These were Sephardim.  The Sephardi Jews in Holland two
or three hundred years ago were more assimilated than the Askenazim
to the east during those years.  I hypothesize that the level of
assimilation is not so much a measure of the quality of the Talmud
interpretations as it is influenced by the attitude of the surrounding
gentile community.

	Frank Silbermann

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (09/12/85)

You have  to be careful  when you talk  about the assimilation  of the
Sefardi community of the  USA.  This community was  never on the whole
terribly learned nor were they of particularly high  status within the
Sefardi world in  general.  But the  community basically  lasted  well
through the  19th century  fairly strong in   their  Jewishness.  When
their  Yeshiva was sold to the  JTS, apparently their  hakams moved en
masse  to what  became Yeshiva    University  (and were treated  quite
shabbily I might add).

I know   Philadelphian Sefardi families who trace   themselves to this
community.  I give their community (hardly a model Sefardi  community)
a survival of about 8 generations versus 4  for the German  Jews and 2
for the Eastern Europeans.

Their  counterpart in  England  the community   around the Bevis-Marks
synagogue still  exists, and I should  point out  the   Disraelis were
thrown  out  for behavior  which for even   rather orthodox Ashkenazim
would be considered relatively  minor though perhaps not  the best  of
behaviors.