[net.religion.jewish] Assimilation -- Askenasi VS Sephardi

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (09/18/85)

In article <3780091@csd2.UUCP> martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) writes:
>In re: Jewish Behavior.
>
>Unfortunately somewhere along the  last  couple of  centuries the vast
>majority of Ashkenazim  dropped out from the Jewish  world and adopted
>western ways.  I  think the corruption  began when Ashkenazim  adopted
>some very explicit  Christian  practices  many centuries ago.

Would you please give some more examples?  I don't know enough about
Sephardi practice and Christianity to be able to recognize which Askenasi
practices are intrinsically Jewish versus copied from Christians
(except, perhaps, for the Askenasi tradition of monagamy).

>Then Ashkenazim took the attitude that Yahudut was foremost  a religion
>This attitude would have been an anathema to all the great sages of the
>Sefardi world.  What happens when  we come to  an  age like now when religion
>is not so important?  Most of the Jews become either Rosens or Harazduks.

The Ashkenazim did not take this approach by choice.  Napolean Bonaparte
was on the verge of completely BANNING Judaism from his realm (which
at one time covered nearly the whole European mainland), believing
Jewish nationality was incompatible with his goal of making all Europeans
citizens of the French Empire.  It is only when Jews agreed to consider
Judaism as a religion, analogous to Catholocism, and not a nationality,
that he relented and decided to permit Jews to remain within his empire.

Complete assimilation within one generation is quite difficult.
One would have to renounce one's entire background, one's friends
and family.  Gradual assimilation spread over the course of a few
generations is much easier.  I believe that Jews avoided assimilation
most effectively in those environments where no "in-between" status
was available.  In societies where an individual did not have to declare
his loyalties (and then live by them), the rate of assimilation was much
greater.  Sephardi Jews were just "luckier" in that they tended to live
in areas fitting the former description, whereas (in the last 150 years)
Askenasi have lived within the latter type of environment.  I don't believe
the Sephardi tradition itself is inherently less vulnerable to decay.

	Frank Silbermann