[net.religion.jewish] throwing candy

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (08/06/85)

Does anyone know the origin of the custom of throwing
candy at an Aufruf, and why or how it has spread to
barmitzvahs? How widespread is the custom?

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (08/13/85)

[]
> Does anyone know the origin of the custom of throwing
> candy at an Aufruf, and why or how it has spread to
> barmitzvahs? How widespread is the custom?
> Dave Sherman
> {  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

The Talmud ( Berakhoth 50b ) states:

"One may let wine flow through pipes before the bridegroom and the bride
and one may throw before them parched corn and nuts in the sunny season,
but not in the rainy season; yet cakes not, not in the sunny season and
not in the rainy season."

Berakhoth deals mostly with blessings and prayer.  This gemara sort of
digresses a bit and speaks about wasting food.  Obviously, it was a custom
over 2000 years ago to throw nuts ( walnuts ) and other food before a bridegroom
and bride.  The commentary notes that the food thrown should be wrapped so that
it can be eaten later, i. e., not wasted.  I think the part about flowing wine
refers to ornamental fountains so that the wine is not wasted.

Now I am going to speculate a little bit.  The Mishna ( Keth. 2,1 ) says that
food should be thrown only if the bride is deemed to be a virgin.  Since today
this is not usually the case, the food is thrown at the Aufruf and not at the
wedding.  Now why has this spread to barmitzvahs?  Well, I can guess that since
the Mishna says "if the bride is deemed a virgin" maybe some people think that
the bridegroom should also be a virgin.  Since this is even rarer, one should
throw food at the barmitzvah -- you stand a better chance of finding a virgin.

Please note that the Talmud quote is correct and the keyword in the last
is speculate.

Shalom,
David S. Green   ..mhuxi!dsg

meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) (08/16/85)

Yom hashishi, erev shabbos leparshas re-ei, 29 Menachem-Av 5745

The custom of throwing candy, nuts, etc. at a chosson (bridegromm) at the
"aufruf" (when he is called to the Torah the shabbos before his wedding)
is symbolic of our wishing him and his bride-to-be many blessings (wishing,
or perhaps, throwing blessings at them).

I don't have the sources for this in front of me, but Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan
alav hashalom (may he rest in peace) wrote a book called - "Made in Heaven",
a guide to the Jewish wedding. He takes one through all the steps and customs
leading up to and at the wedding. He also has extensive footnotes (where he
gives his sources).
-----
I asked my brother about this, and he suggested another reason (he is not sure
if he ever saw or heard it). On the day of their wedding, it is customary for
the chosson and kallah (bride) to observe a private Yom Kippur and to fast.
There is an old custom among some people to get (symbolic) lashes (makkos) on
the day before Yom Kippur, as a partial atonement for their sins. Perhaps this
custom spread to - throwing candy at the chosson as a symbolic lashing, to
atone for any sins, in case it is necessary.

Again, no source for this. Check Rabbi Kaplan's book.

Asher Meth ....... meth@nyu-csd2.arpa ....... allegra!cmcl2!csd2!meth

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (08/17/85)

> []
> David S. Green   ..mhuxi!dsg

> Now I am going to speculate a little bit.  The Mishna ( Keth. 2,1 ) says that
> food should be thrown only if the bride is deemed to be a virgin.  Since today
> this is not usually the case, the food is thrown at the Aufruf and not at the
> wedding.

	40 years ago, when virginity was more common, and today in strictly
Orthodox congregations, where virginity is reasonablely presumed, I believe
candy was/is thrown at the aufruf, not wedding.

> Now why has this spread to barmitzvahs?  Well, I can guess that since
> the Mishna says "if the bride is deemed a virgin" maybe some people think that
> the bridegroom should also be a virgin.  Since this is even rarer, one should
> throw food at the barmitzvah -- you stand a better chance of finding a virgin.

	I've seen congregations where it was also thrown the 1st time a person
read Torah, regardless if the person was married or not.  If you want metaphor,
how about the Bar Mitzvah/Ba'al Korah as being seen as the bridegroom (or
perhaps bride for our egalirarian friends) to the Torah?
	(Actually it is the nature of customs that the explainations changes
readily while the ritual changes slowly, if at all.  Try making up you own
explaination/meaning.  It might be valid as any other.  (An example:  the first
record we have of the breaking of a glass at a wedding, commonly explained
as a reminder of the destruction of the temple, was within a century of that
event.  The Temple wasn't mentioned.  It was explained as a reminder of
death - to provide a balence to the joy of the occasion.  The first record
of the Temple explaination is only about a century and a half old.))
--
Barry Buchbinder				(608)221-5000
Agrigenetics Corp.; 5649 E. Buckeye Rd.; Madison WI 53716 USA

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (08/20/85)

Here's a summary of responses I got. Nothing as interesting
as David Green's Gemara quote and speculation (which I think
has to be a little far out)...

From: utzoo!watmath!clyde!vax135!richard (Richard Seide)

I think it's suposed to mean that the person has a sweet life. At least thats
what I was told.

					Richard

From: utzoo!watmath!clyde!ulysses!smb (Steven Bellovin)

I saw candy being thrown (from the women's balcony) at a bar mitzvah in
Israel in May.

From: utzoo!watmath!clyde!burl!mhuxi!dsg (David Green)
I seem to remember that the original custom was to throw nuts;
specifically walnuts.  I'll look it up tonight but I'm not sure
how much more info I have.  It was a side note to the El-Am English
translation of Bava Metzia.

From: ihnp4!drutx!mas

I don't know where the candy tradition was started, but at my Aufruf, my wife
really pelted me good.  She said she didn't mean it, but it seems everyone was
out for blood.

Mike Schwarz

Dave Sherman
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (08/27/85)

Throwing candy at the Hatan when called up  for `aliyat hehatan  is an
old Sefardi custom which is the fulfilment of  a Judeo-Spanish proverb
to the effect that when a man  remembers the sweetest day  of his life
he remembers the day of  his  marriage.  I believe  the refranero is a
translation of a statement  in the 'Agadah  and will try  to track  it
down.

For Sefardim `aliyat hehatan comes after the  wedding which is more in
accord with   Jewish  ideas  about  marriage   and   which discourages
honeymoons which are foreign to Jewish tradition and which are founded
in  a concept of  sexuality quite  abhorrent to Jewish thought.  Every
Hakam or Rabbi whom  I have seen comment on  this issue have condemned
the practice of honeymoon.

friedman@h-sc1.UUCP (dawn friedman) (08/30/85)

> Throwing candy at the Hatan when called up  for `aliyat hehatan  is an
> old Sefardi custom which is the fulfilment of  a Judeo-Spanish proverb
> to the effect that when a man  remembers the sweetest day  of his life
> he remembers the day of  his  marriage.  I believe  the refranero is a
> translation of a statement  in the 'Agadah  and will try  to track  it
> down.
>
> For Sefardim `aliyat hehatan comes after the  wedding which is more in
> accord with   Jewish  ideas  about  marriage   and   which discourages
> honeymoons which are foreign to Jewish tradition and which are founded
> in  a concept of  sexuality quite  abhorrent to Jewish thought.  Every
> Hakam or Rabbi whom  I have seen comment on  this issue have condemned
> the practice of honeymoon.

Ok, you finally dragged me into this.  Exactly what custom of honeymoon
are you talking about, and how is it abhorrent to Jewish thought?
What concept of sexuality is native to Jewish thought?  What exactly
IS "Jewish thought"?  It certainly isn't "the thought of the Jews",
which is not monolithic; and every Jewish couple I know fled into
the night from their wedding to escape, unwind, and enjoy each other's
company in privacy before taking on the realities of life.  I'm not
terribly frum and I'm not an expert on interpretation, but I *was*
in the hidon ha-Tanach --the only non-yeshiva entrant in Israel,
mind you -- and I know the laws about enlisting newlyweds, and I
know the Song of Songs.  Next you'll be telling me that Jewish
thought denigrates the body and recommends flagellation.  I thought
the Sephardim who were criticizing Ashkenazi Judaism for becoming
Christianized were going too far, but I begin to agree with them.

I'd still like to ask the Sephardim, whose names I unfortunately
missed, what culture of benevolence, tolerance, and civilization
they are using as a reference when they denounce European society
for its lack of those qualities.  Is the treatment of Jews in
the Arab countries being held up as an ideal?  Or is there some
other country which has gently sheltered the Sephardim from the
persecutions suffered by the Ashkenazim, which has concentrated
on the true arts of civilization and not on "technical expertise",
and which I hadn't heard of?  Save my place!!!

                                                        dsf
                                                    (Shacharah)
                                                 (the only flamer)

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (09/03/85)

> > For Sefardim `aliyat hehatan comes after the  wedding which is more in
> > accord with   Jewish  ideas  about  marriage   and   which discourages
> > honeymoons which are foreign to Jewish tradition and which are founded
> > in  a concept of  sexuality quite  abhorrent to Jewish thought.  Every
> > Hakam or Rabbi whom  I have seen comment on  this issue have condemned
> > the practice of honeymoon.
>
> Ok, you finally dragged me into this.  Exactly what custom of honeymoon
> are you talking about, and how is it abhorrent to Jewish thought?
> What concept of sexuality is native to Jewish thought?  What exactly
> IS "Jewish thought"?  It certainly isn't "the thought of the Jews",
> which is not monolithic; and every Jewish couple I know fled into
> the night from their wedding to escape, unwind, and enjoy each other's
> company in privacy before taking on the realities of life.  I'm not
> terribly frum and I'm not an expert on interpretation, but I *was*
> in the hidon ha-Tanach --the only non-yeshiva entrant in Israel,
> mind you -- and I know the laws about enlisting newlyweds, and I
> know the Song of Songs.  Next you'll be telling me that Jewish
> thought denigrates the body and recommends flagellation.  I thought
> the Sephardim who were criticizing Ashkenazi Judaism for becoming
> Christianized were going too far, but I begin to agree with them.
> (DAWN FRIEDMAN)

The bride is supposed to be a virgin.  As soon as the marriage is
consummated, she becomes a niddah, probably for a few weeks.  What
newly-married couple is going to waste time and money going on a trip
during a period when they can't even touch each other?  They can
"enjoy each other's company in privacy" in their own new home,
without following the non-Jewish custom of "honeymoon."

					-- Matt Rosenblatt

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (09/08/85)

I am not an expert on  Christian concepts of sexuality but  I have the
impression  the honeymoon   started  in Northern   European protestant
nations  which   took  seriously the    Pauline   notion that   sexual
intercourse was disgusting.  If sexual intercourse is disgusting, then
when people get married and theoretically the couple are virgins, they
will shortly  after the marriage  go out and commit a  disgusting act.
Better to do this  far away from home so  that no  one  close  to  the
couple need think  about the disgusting acts  which  the newlyweds are
committing.

dan@scgvaxd.UUCP (Dan Boskovich) (09/12/85)

In article <3780084@csd2.UUCP> martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) writes:

>I am not an expert on  Christian concepts of sexuality but  I have the
>impression  the honeymoon   started  in Northern   European protestant
>nations  which   took  seriously the    Pauline   notion that   sexual
>intercourse was disgusting.  If sexual intercourse is disgusting, then
>when people get married and theoretically the couple are virgins, they
>will shortly  after the marriage  go out and commit a  disgusting act.
>Better to do this  far away from home so  that no  one  close  to  the
>couple need think  about the disgusting acts  which  the newlyweds are
>committing.

 Could you please tell me where in Paul's writings he makes any statement
 that would bring one to the conclusion that he feels that sexual intercourse
 is disgusting?

					     Dan

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (09/16/85)

> I am not an expert on  Christian concepts of sexuality but  I have the
> impression  the honeymoon   started  in Northern   European protestant
> nations  which   took  seriously the    Pauline   notion that   sexual
> intercourse was disgusting.  If sexual intercourse is disgusting, then
> when people get married and theoretically the couple are virgins, they
> will shortly  after the marriage  go out and commit a  disgusting act.
> Better to do this  far away from home so  that no  one  close  to  the
> couple need think  about the disgusting acts  which  the newlyweds are
> committing.

Question.  Why newlywed annouce the place of the honeymoon in the
newspaper ad?  And why they choose nice places (sometimes quite close
to home, like Martha's Wineyard for Boston couples)?

martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) (09/22/85)

In re marriage Goitein records the following Yemenite Jewish proverb.

    Man enjoys life only twice, when he marries and when he dies.

I am not sure what it is supposed to mean.

As for honeymoons, besides the  halakic problems already  mentioned by
Rosenblatt,  I should point  out  that honeymoons  would  be a strange
practice in   a  polygynous society   (as  normative    Judaism   is).
Honeymoons would be considered mistreatment  of earlier wives and also
there would be problems with mar'at `ayin  because people would wonder
what an earlier wife would be up to while  the husband and the  latest
wife went away for a while.

As for Pauline  attitudes to   Christianity, 1 Corinthians 7  contains
some  rather  negative   attitudes  towards   sexual intercourse.   (I
apologize for the  German   Jewish  law  forbids  keeping or   reading
Christian scriptures,  I am getting  this from an  article which was a
handout in a course  I took at Harvard   some years ago.   The  Luther
translation is supposed to be  much  more reliable  than most  English
translations.)

2. Doch  um der Unkeuschheit  willen  habe ein jeglicher  seine eigene
Frau, und eine jegliche  habe ihren  eigenen Mann. 3.  Der Mann leiste
der Frau die schuldige Pflicht, desgleichen die Fau dem Manne.

Generally, Unkeuschheit (impurity) and schuldige Pflicht (sinful duty)
are not terms which Jews associate with sexual intercourse in a proper
Jewish marriage where the laws of tohorat hamishpahah are observed.

Now this may not be exactly what the original Greek Text  says but the
German Text has influenced most of Protestant thought.

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (09/24/85)

> In re marriage Goitein records the following Yemenite Jewish proverb.
>
>     Man enjoys life only twice, when he marries and when he dies.
>
> I am not sure what it is supposed to mean.  [J. MARTILLO]

Me neither, but maybe the Yemenites, or Goitein, garbled the following
misogynous quote expressed by the ancient Greek, Hipponax of Ephesus:

	"The two days in a woman's life a man can best enjoy
 	 are when he marries her and when he carries
	 her dead body to the grave."

[Hipponax of Ephesus, cited by Mary R. Lefkowitz and Maureen B. Fant, ed,
"Women in Greece and Rome" (Toronto, Samuel-Stevens, 1977), p. 13, cited
in turn by the ugly, lunatic-fringe Andrea Dworkin in "Right-wing Women"
(New York, Perigee, 1983), p. 194]

					-- Matt Rosenblatt

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (09/24/85)

In article <3780096@csd2.UUCP> martillo@csd2.UUCP (Joachim Martillo) writes:
>In re marriage Goitein records the following Yemenite Jewish proverb.
>
>    Man enjoys life only twice, when he marries and when he dies.
>
>I am not sure what it is supposed to mean.

Maybe that at these times he realizes how (relatively) good he has had
it up until then... :-)?