[net.religion.jewish] Does PEPSI discriminate

liss@gramps.DEC (Frederick R. Liss DTN 237-3649) (09/23/85)

	I sent this message out the other day but I dont think it got
        through our gateway to the USENET. Here goes, one more time.

	I was very embarrassed this Rosh Hashona. After Shul, we had a
        dinner for our family. During the course of the dinner I placed
        several bottles of Pepsi on the table. My brother in law Moshe,
        who served in the Israeli army, became very upset with me. He
        told me that Pepsi will not sell their product in Israel so that
        they will not be boycotted in Arab countries. Is this true? Are
        there any other major US brands that follow this policy?

			Regards,
				Fred

---
Frederick R. Liss        UUCP ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-gramps!liss
Digital Equipment Corp.	 ARPA	 liss%gramps.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
333 South St.    Shrewsbury MA, 01545	Mail Stop SHR1-4/D21

ask@cbdkc1.UUCP (A.S. Kamlet) (09/27/85)

> 	I was very embarrassed this Rosh Hashona. After Shul, we had a
>         dinner for our family. During the course of the dinner I placed
>         several bottles of Pepsi on the table. My brother in law Moshe,
>         who served in the Israeli army, became very upset with me. He
>         told me that Pepsi will not sell their product in Israel so that
>         they will not be boycotted in Arab countries. Is this true? Are
>         there any other major US brands that follow this policy?

I was told the same thing when in Israel last year.  I was also told that
not only does Pepsi observe tha Arab boycott, but they are also the
American 'cola' supplier to Russia.  (I have not confirmed this.)

But just looking around Israel, Coca-Cola is everywhere, and we never
did see Pepsi.   I then wrote Pepsi and asked point blank if they
were observing the Arab boycott of Israel, and they said, in effect,
Of course not, where they market their product is a business decision, and
of course they'd never consider any so-called Arab boycott (Paraphrased -
I don't have their letter any longer.  But I'll bet it's a standard letter
that anyone can get just by writing to Pepsi.)

So,  I no longer buy any Pepsi.  Period.
--
Art Kamlet  AT&T Bell Laboratories  Columbus {ihnp4 | cbosgd}!cbrma!ask

ephraim@TECHUNIX.BITNET (Ephraim Silverberg) (09/27/85)

>  I was very embarrassed this Rosh Hashona. After Shul, we had a
>  dinner for our family. During the course of the dinner I placed
>  several bottles of Pepsi on the table. My brother in law Moshe,
>  who served in the Israeli army, became very upset with me. He
>  told me that Pepsi will not sell their product in Israel so that
>  they will not be boycotted in Arab countries. Is this true? Are
>  there any other major US brands that follow this policy?

Yes, Pepsi Cola Inc. does not sell to  the  State  of  Israel;  fortunately,  I
prefer  Coca  Cola which does sell to the State of Israel (for those of you who
are also readers of net.misc.coke, we still have the REAL old coke with the old
ingredients -- i.e. ``sugar'' -- listed. New Coke has yet to arrive, thankfully
:-) ).

If I were to list all the companies who boycott thax!su-score.arpa!PROLOG-REQUEST
From: PROLOG-REQUEST@SU-SCORE.ARPA (Chuck Restivo, The Moderator)
Newsgroups: net.lang.prolog
Subject: PROLOG Digest   V3 #40
Date: 27 Sep 85 05:46:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.ARPA

PROLOG Digest            Friday, 27 Sep 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 40

Today's Topics:
               Implementation - Destructive Assignment,
                 LP Philosophy - Hewitt's Challenge,
                       LP Library - Benchmarks

Date: 26 Sep 85 8:35:05 PDT
From: Deutsch.PA@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Destructive Assignment

With regard to destructive assignment: I am constantly amazed

nachum@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/27/85)

Pepsi and Seven-Up boycott Israel; Coca-Cola does not
(and sells to Arab countries all the same).

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (10/01/85)

Ephraim Silverberg writes:
>   Yes, Pepsi Cola Inc. does not sell to the State of Israel;
>   fortunately, I prefer  Coca  Cola which does sell to Israel.

Personally, I don't think it's such a bad thing in this instance ...
So what if Israelis are prevented from wasting the country's precious
foreign currencies on sugar water?  Better that they should drink
Negev orange juice, for the sake of personal health and national economy.

Ephraim Silverberg:
>If I were to list all the companies who boycott the State of  Israel,  I  would
>exceed the 100 kilobyte limit that my mailer allows.  For example, all Japanese
>automobile manufacturers (Toyota, Honda, etc.) except Subaru Inc.   --  as  far
>as I know -- do not sell to the State of Israel.
>
>Perhaps some of the readers at Digital, Herzelia can enlighten the net  on  the
>extent  of  the  boycott and if Israeli industry is seriously affected by these
>measures.

The anti-Israel boycott is one of the chief reasons that Israel
cannot afford to be selective about which countries it trades with.
Were it not for this anti-Israel boycott, Israel might not have to
resort to trading with oppressive foreign regimes.

	Frank Silbermann

charli@cylixd.UUCP (Charli Phillips) (10/01/85)

The discussion of the anti-Israeli boycott *by* Pepsi-Cola reminded me
of a boycott *of* Pepsi that I have read about.

The recent call for boycotts and disinvestment against companies doing
business in South Africa has led some to call for the same thing against
companies doing business in the Soviet Union.  Pepsi-Cola, of course,
invests quite heavily in the Soviet Union, and is planning to increase
their investment there over the next few years.

		charli

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (10/02/85)

Art Kamlet  writes:
> I was also told that
> not only does Pepsi observe tha Arab boycott, but they are also the
> American 'cola' supplier to Russia.  (I have not confirmed this.)

Rest assured : Pepsi DOES sell cola in Soviet Union  ( please! There is
MORE to the country than just Russia! There are 15 republics!)

The story I've heard was that USSR conducted negitiations with Pepsi Co.
because Coca Cola was trading with China and nobody in Soviet Union
knows about RC or Dr.Pepper.

As far as Pepsi and Coke being cosher : Pepsi actually marks that on
the can, Coke does not.

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (10/03/85)

In article <44500026@uiucdcs> nachum@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Pepsi and Seven-Up boycott Israel; Coca-Cola does not
>(and sells to Arab countries all the same).

Wrong! Seven-Up is sold in Israel.  About 3-4 years ago, they started.
Pictures of Seven-Up trucks appeared in The Jerusalem Post.  The name
"SEVEN-UP" was transliterated into Hebrew.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Paul Blumstein                    "I may be drunk, but you're ugly.

drdave@rocksvax.UUCP (10/04/85)

 I observed similar things on my trips to Israel.  It was particularly
striking to see how when one goes into Gaza how "suddenly" there are Pepsi
billboards.

I concluded that Pepsi is at least unofficially following the boycott and
stopped buying it.

Dave Birnbaum

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (10/07/85)

I believe its near the upper left corner of the UPC (Universal Product Code)
on the Classic Coke can...unless that 'K' is just part of the UPC...but I doubt
it..