[net.religion.jewish] Terrorism Inc.

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (10/07/85)

Terrorism is once again on the rise all over the world.
Some recent terrorist events seem to show that some
nations decided that the best way to combat terrorism is
to use the terrorist's methods.
A few examples:
1) Two palestininans and one british hold for a day, then murder a
family of israelis vacationing in Cyprus.

2) Israeli war-jets, with the active assistance of the US (in flight
refueling in the air) raid a palestininan camp in the suburbs of
Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, killing 20 tunisians and 40
palestinians.

3) The French government sends a team of frogmen to blow up a
boat of "Green-Peace", an anti nuke organization who was planning
to demonstrate against french nuclear tests in the Pacific.At least one
person is killed.

These events and several others show that terrorism is not the
weapon of the weak and politically frustrated any more.
State terrorism, State sponsored/condoned terrorism, along what
one might call classical terrorism, is becoming an instrument of
international policy.
This new phenomen may have perturbing implications worldwide.
 What's in store for us if governments decide to
include terrorist methods in their political tools kit??
Does'n't this implicitly vindicates the very terrorists we are
seeking to combat?
May be it's about time for governments to face and solve the
political problem which is at the root of terrorist actions.

Any comments???

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) (10/08/85)

[shlurp....]

>From: decvax!ittatc!ittvax!aouriri Sun Oct  6 17:56:06 1985
>
>Terrorism is once again on the rise all over the world.
>Some recent terrorist events seem to show that some
>nations decided that the best way to combat terrorism is
>to use the terrorist's methods.
>These events and several others show that terrorism is not the
>weapon of the weak and politically frustrated any more.
>State terrorism, State sponsored/condoned terrorism, along what
>one might call classical terrorism, is becoming an instrument of
>international policy.
>This new phenomen may have perturbing implications worldwide.
>     ^^^

I've often wondered if 'state supported terrorism' is really all that
new; it seems more like a new term for something that has been
going on for a long, long time.  It appears as though violent actions by
a (usually politically unrepresented) group are termed terrorism, while
similar actions by governments, both covert and overt, are called war,
or something less objectionable.  Is there such a big difference between
actions by a government that lead to civilian casualties, and actions
by terrorists (who, being fewer in number and probably low on resources,
certainly lower than a government) choose to pick on smaller numbers of
people (eg. a car bomb versus overthrowing a government)?

Any comments??
                                             decvax!mcnc!ravi

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/08/85)

> Terrorism is once again on the rise all over the world.
> Some recent terrorist events seem to show that some
> nations decided that the best way to combat terrorism is
> to use the terrorist's methods.
> A few examples:
> 1) Two palestininans and one british hold for a day, then murder a
> family of israelis vacationing in Cyprus.
>
> 2) Israeli war-jets, with the active assistance of the US (in flight
> refueling in the air) raid a palestininan camp in the suburbs of
> Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, killing 20 tunisians and 40
> palestinians.
>

> Any comments???

Your #2 comment is an extremely dangerous statement.  Do you have any proof that
U.S. tankers refueled Israeli jets?  Did you ever stop to think that by falsely
implementing the U.S. in the Tunisia attack,  it could lead to more terrorist
attacks against innocent people.  Your irresponsible opinion could result in
the death of someone.  Terrorists don't need much in the area of probable cause
to carry out their doctrines of death, don't give them any more reasons to do so
than they already think they have.
By the way, Israel has it's own in air refueling capabilities.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (10/08/85)

In article <487@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP
(Chedley Aouriri) writes:

>Terrorism is once again on the rise all over the world.  A few examples:
>
>1) Two palestininans and one british hold for a day, then murder a
>family of israelis vacationing in Cyprus.
>
>2) Israeli war-jets, with the active assistance of the US (in flight
>refueling in the air) raid a palestininan camp in the suburbs of Tunis,
>the capital of Tunisia, killing 20 tunisians and 40 palestinians.
>
>3) The French government sends a team of frogmen to blow up a boat of
>"Green-Peace", an anti nuke organization who was planning to demonstrate
>against french nuclear tests in the Pacific.  At least one person is killed.
>
>These events and several others show that terrorism is not the weapon
>of the weak and politically frustrated any more.

Four points:

1)  To the extent that Israel is unable to protect its civilians
    from random murder, they too may be considered weak and frustrated.

2)  Even the weak and frustrated may not be excused practicing terrorism.
    Either terrorism is NOT a valid tool for ANYBODY to promote political
    change, or it is valid for EVERYBODY, strong as well as weak.

3)  The Israeli act was not terrorism.  The Israeli target was NOT a
    palestinian camp.  The Israelis raided the headquarters of the PLO,
    a valid military target (hence not terrorism).  Since the PLO
    persists in placing their military facilities in heavily populated
    areas, where their civilians will be endangered, then they alone
    are responsible for the resulting civilian casualties.

4)  The sinking of the Greenpeace ship was NOT an act of terrorism.
    It was an act of sabotage.

Definitions:
	Sabotage -- Secret attack aimed at destroying of enemy property.
		    Unintentional civilian deaths may result as an unavoidable
		    (and undesired) side-effect.

	Terrorism -- Intentional murder or kidnapping of civilians for political
		     ends.

Examples:

	If I aim a bazooka at an enemy tank or munitions factory,
	that is NOT terrorism, even if I miss and hit a loaded school
	bus by mistake.

	But, if I was really aiming for the school bus all the time,
	then that is terrorism.

Understood?

>State terrorism, State sponsored/condoned terrorism, along what one might
>call classical terrorism, is becoming an instrument of international policy.
>This new phenomen may have perturbing implications worldwide.
>What's in store for us _IF_ governments decide to include terrorist methods
                         ^^
>in their political tools kit??
>Doesn't this implicitly vindicates the very terrorists we are seeking
>to combat?

What do you mean 'IF' governments include terrorist methods in their
political toolkits????  Governments such as the Soviet Union, Libyia,
the PLO (a self-proclaimed government in exile) have long sponsored terrorism.
Our continued acceptance of such governments in respected international circles
has already "vindicated" terrorism as a tactic.

>Some recent terrorist events seem to show that some nations decided that
>the best way to combat terrorism is to use the terrorist's methods.
>May be it's about time for governments to face and solve the political
>problem which is at the root of terrorist actions.

I suggest we ask the net community to suggest better ideas for ways
to combat terrorism.  And no, surrender to their political demands
is NOT in general a better way.

	Frank Silbermann

craig@think.ARPA (Craig Stanfill) (10/09/85)

It disturbs me to see the word `terrorism' used for all acts of war.  I
think it is, in fact, overused by those who want us to believe that the
Israelis are somehow `as bad as' the PLO.  To me, terrorism is the
killing of civilians as an end unto itself.  Thus, killing three
Israelis civilians on their yacht is terrorism.  An attack on the
military facilities of your enemy is, on the other hand, a legitimate
act of war.  The PLO headquarters was certainly a military target.  Yes,
innocent Tunisian civilians were killed, but in war it is permissible to
attack your enemy's military facilities regardless of where they are.
Tunisia is a moderate Arab state, but it is not neutral; it knowingly
permitted the PLO to establish its headquarters in Tunis, thereby
forfeiting its protection as a neutral nation.

bmac3@ssc-bee.UUCP (Scott Pilet) (10/09/85)

> 2) Israeli war-jets, with the active assistance of the US (in flight
> refueling in the air) raid a palestininan camp in the suburbs of
> Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, killing 20 tunisians and 40
> palestinians.

Didn't Israel deny the assistance of the US, i.e., they did their
own refueling?

> These events and several others show that terrorism is not the
> weapon of the weak and politically frustrated any more.
> State terrorism, State sponsored/condoned terrorism, along what
> one might call classical terrorism, is becoming an instrument of
> international policy.
> This new phenomen may have perturbing implications worldwide.
>  What's in store for us if governments decide to
> include terrorist methods in their political tools kit??
> Does'n't this implicitly vindicates the very terrorists we are
> seeking to combat?
> May be it's about time for governments to face and solve the
> political problem which is at the root of terrorist actions.
>
> Any comments???

READ:
	The Terror Network by Claire Sterling
	publisher : Berkley Books

An excellent synopsis of State sponsered terrorism with may
footnotes and sources.

steinber@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Louis Steinberg) (10/10/85)

> Terrorism is once again on the rise all over the world.
> 2) Israeli war-jets ... raid a palestininan camp in the suburbs of
> Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, killing 20 tunisians and 40
> palestinians.

How was this an act of "terrorism"?  Do you think "terrorism" and
"violence" are synonyms?  THEY ARE NOT!  Furthermore, by using them as
synonyms you blur the distinction and reduce the moral repugnance your
listeners naturally feel towards terrorism.  This leads to an atmosphere
in which terrorism is condoned, and thus encouraged.  In other words,
wittingly or unwittingly, your message acts to increase acceptance of
terrorism, despite your surface protestations against it.

Terrorism is violence directed at innocent bystanders or other
non-combatants, with the aim of indirectly influencing others, either
by getting publicity or by frightening or depressing these others.
For instance, the recent hijacking of an ocean liner was terrorism.
Attacks in which the PLO placed explosives in public market places in
Israel were terrorism, since the intent was not to directly damage
military targets but rather to cause chaos and disruption in civilian
life.  The Allied bombing of Dresden during World War II may well have
been terrorism.  (I'm not up on my WWII hsitory, so I've qualified
that.)  If Israel were to choose a village in Lebanon at random and
bomb it, with the warning to the nearby villages not to cooperate with
the PLO or else suffer a similar fate, that would be terrorism.

The bombings in Tunisia were surely an act of violence, but they were
not terror.  The "camp" as you call it was not a residential center,
it was a major headquarters of the PLO, and contained facilities that
had been and were being used to plan and carry out attacks against Israel
and Israelis.  Most of these attacks against Israel were terroristic
in form, which should draw our condemnation of the PLO;  however even
if these attacks had not been terroristic, e.g. had consisted of attacks
on Israeli military facilities, surely Israel had a right to respond
to them with force.

Please, nobody respond with the statement that "that's not what *I*
mean by 'terrorism'."  The point is that we need SOME term for attacks
directed towards innocent bystanders, simply so we can express our
disgust at such actions. If you want to use a different term, please do
so, but don't try to covertly condone such actions by refusing to make
a distinction between them and other violence.

steinber@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Louis Steinberg) (10/10/85)

By the way, I think the French attack on the Green Peace ship was
evil, but not terrorism.  There is a strong tendency today to take a
word like "Nazi" or "Communist" or "terrorist" that correctly applies
to a particular kind of evil, and use it indiscriminately as a synonym
for "bad".  This is particularly done by people who are afraid that if
they describe accurately what kind of "bad" they are referring to,
their listener might not find it so bad.  But in any case, whether
due to deliberate deception or just fuzzy thinking, this kind of
watering down of specific evils into the general "bad" is something we
must resist because it reduces our ability to distinguish between
evils, set priorities, and take actions against a specific evil that are
appropriate for that evil.

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (10/10/85)

RAVI SUBRAHMANYAN writes:

> I've often wondered if 'state supported terrorism' is really all that
> new; it seems more like a new term for something that has been
> going on for a long, long time.  It appears as though violent actions by
> a (usually politically unrepresented) group are termed terrorism, while
> similar actions by governments, both covert and overt, are called war,
> or something less objectionable.  Is there such a big difference between
> actions by a government that lead to civilian casualties, and actions
> by terrorists (who, being fewer in number and probably low on resources,
> certainly lower than a government) choose to pick on smaller numbers of
> people (eg. a car bomb versus overthrowing a government)?
>
> Any comments??

I think this was discussed a few months ago over the net.  Yeah, there is a
big difference:  one of intent.  Let's look at few examples:

1.  A suicide bomber blows up 241 U.S. Marines in Beirut.  That's NOT
terrorism -- the bomber was after fighting men, not civilians.

2.  Jews blow up the King David Hotel, filled with British soldiers.
Also not terrorism, for the same reason.

3.  Israel blasts the PLO headquarters in Tunis.  This was an act of war
against the headquarters of the avowed enemy of Israel.  Civilian
casualties were incidental to the act of war.

4.  The IRA tries to blow up Margaret Thatcher.  Again, an act of war
against the head of state of the IRA's arch-enemy.  Any civilian
casualties would have been incidental.

5.  The African National Congress bombs the headquarters of the
South African Air Force.  Not terrorism.

6.  West German Commie saboteurs bomb an American army base.
Again, an act of war by our enemies against us.

BUT:

7.  The IRA plants a bomb on a Belfast street, killing a dozen innocent
people.  Here, the PURPOSE of the bombing is to impress upon everyone that
even innocent Irishmen cannot go on living normal, peaceful lives as long
as Ulster is under British/Protestant rule.  Innocent people are
deliberately targeted.  That's terrorism.

8.  The PLO invades a schoolhouse and kills Jewish children.  The idea
is to show Israelis that as long as the Zionist entity continues to
exist and occupy Palestinian land (remember, the PLO was organized
in 1964, when Judea, Samaria and Gaza were still in Arab hands), even
little children will not be safe.  That's terrorism.

9.   PLO Force 17 thugs murder three Israeli tourists on a yacht off
Cyprus.  Innocent civilians were the object of the murder, so it's
terrorism.

10.  Arab pirates take over an Italian ship, hold innocent passengers
as hostages, and murder an American.  NO CAUSE justifies that kind of
terrorism.

Get the idea?  If the downtrodden of the world go after those they
consider their oppressors, namely soldiers, policemen, or Government
leaders, and innocent people are killed in the course of their action,
it's not terrorism -- it's the only way such people can wage war.
THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT'S GOOD.  ONLY THE WARPED BELIEVE THAT WAR IS
GOOD, whether waged by little groups with hand grenades or by nations
with multimillion-dollar (or -ruble) warplanes.

But if these same downtrodden people deliberately attack innocent
civilians in order to terrorize a nation into granting their demands,
then they are terrorists.  The IRA man who attacks Margaret Thatcher
is a hero.  The same IRA man, if he bombs a civilian pub, is a
murdering scum and a disgrace to the Irish people.

					-- Matt Rosenblatt

gjk@talcott.UUCP (John) (10/10/85)

In article <885@mcnc.mcnc.UUCP>, ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) writes:

> I've often wondered if 'state supported terrorism' is really all that
> new; it seems more like a new term for something that has been
> going on for a long, long time.  It appears as though violent actions by
> a (usually politically unrepresented) group are termed terrorism, while
> similar actions by governments, both covert and overt, are called war,
> or something less objectionable.  Is there such a big difference between
> actions by a government that lead to civilian casualties, and actions
> by terrorists (who, being fewer in number and probably low on resources,
> certainly lower than a government) choose to pick on smaller numbers of
> people (eg. a car bomb versus overthrowing a government)?

Terrorism obviously comes from the word terror.  Therefore it is the practice
of acheiving political ends by evoking terror.  Usually this means evoking
terror in the general populace of some nation.  War, on the other hand, is
an attempt at direct takover (by violence) of some nation's resource or ruling
body.  Thus, it is clear why a politically unrepresented group would favor
terrorism over war:  Such groups usually don't have the means for the direct
takeover of anything, but they may well have the means for random destruction
of life or property.  Of course, there is such a thing as state terrorism, and
terrorism does often accompany war (Schrechtlichkeit [sp?], for example).
Moreover, the dividing line between terrorism and war is not always clear. If,
for example, you were to ask an Iranian about His Holiness's latest raid over
Bagdad, he may say, "It is strike fear in the hearts of the enemy," or he may
say, "I don't care whether or not the Iraqi's are scared, so long as they
realize that we have a superior force," or he may say, "The attack was not a
matter of psychology; it was a direct attempt at weakening the Iraqi state."
--
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
      ^  ^^

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (10/13/85)

> > 2) Israeli war-jets, with the active assistance of the US (in flight
> > refueling in the air) raid a palestininan camp in the suburbs of
> > Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, killing 20 tunisians and 40
> > palestinians.
> >

> Your #2 comment is an extremely dangerous statement.  Do you have any proof that
> U.S. tankers refueled Israeli jets?  Did you ever stop to think that by falsely

Yes! I do have evidence that the US actively participated in the
Israeli raid on Tunis, by refueling israeli war jets.
Refering to a newspaper article written by a french
military analyst and published in the french newspaper "Le Monde"
(The equivalent of the Washington Post in France) the day after the
raid.
In that article, the author asserts that Israel has indeed refueling
capabilities consisting of 3 air tankers. The raid on Tunis has
been carried out by an escadron of 8 jets. The analyst shows then,
that it is mathematically impossible for those 3 tankers to refuel
the escadron of 8 jets, given the distance, the speed and the tank
capacity of the jets and the refueling tankers.
After eliminating the possibility of Egypt, Italy, Turkey Greece or
France aiding the israeli air force in its mission, he concludes
that the US helped refueling the israeli war jets .

wolpert@hpisla.UUCP (David Wolpert) (10/15/85)

> it's not terrorism -- it's the only way such people can wage war.
> THAT DOES NOT MEAN IT'S GOOD.  ONLY THE WARPED BELIEVE THAT WAR IS
> GOOD, whether waged by little groups with hand grenades or by nations
> with multimillion-dollar (or -ruble) warplanes.
> 					-- Matt Rosenblatt
  "... you can say that again!"
  "okay..."

       Justification of acts of terrorism (or war, for that matter)
usually goes along the lines of "It takes drastic action, otherwise
our cause will be ignored".  The problem with taking drastic action
is that the "cure" is *always* worse than the disease.  (I am being
sincere here.   I think the U.S. would be better off today if there
had been no Revolution back in the 18th century,  to say nothing of
the wars since then).  I believe that war (terrorism) destroys
things that are required for survival:  not just people and other
natural resources, but trust and love.

David Wolpert
              Hewlett-Packard Company,  Instrument Systems Lab
              P O Box 301 - Loveland, Colorado - 80539 (USMail)
              {{*!}hp*!}hpisla!wolpert (un*x)
              (303) 667-5000 x3533 (phone)    /HP0900/EM (HPDESK)
*** RAW BITS: Not For Everybody ***

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (10/16/85)

(Odd numbers of ">"'s are Mr. Aourouri (sp?) ):

> > > 2) Israeli war-jets, with the active assistance of the US...
> > Your #2 comment is an extremely dangerous statement.  Do you have any proof?
> Yes! I do have evidence that the US actively participated in the
> Israeli raid on Tunis, by refueling israeli war jets.
> Refering to a newspaper article written by a french
> military analyst and published in the french newspaper "Le Monde"
> (The equivalent of the Washington Post in France) the day after the
> raid.
> In that article, the author asserts that Israel has indeed refueling
> capabilities consisting of 3 air tankers. The raid on Tunis has
> been carried out by an escadron of 8 jets. The analyst shows then,
> that it is mathematically impossible for those 3 tankers to refuel
> the escadron of 8 jets, given the distance, the speed and the tank
> capacity of the jets and the refueling tankers.
> After eliminating the possibility of Egypt, Italy, Turkey Greece or
> France aiding the israeli air force in its mission, he concludes
> that the US helped refueling the israeli war jets .
Mr. Aourouri (spelling?) exercizes suspicious discrimination in his
choice of sources.  In the original article he claimed concern for
a world battered by terrorists.  But he is totally confused about what
constitutes terrorism--including Israel as a "terrorist nation!"  Since
he accepts the childish propaganda of the "Ashaf (Hebrew acronym for PLO),"
and from his name, I suspect that he may be of a persuasion similar
to most PLO supporters.  If this is so (now donning my psychiatrist's
cap), he probably truly recognizes the utter destructiveness of the
Ashaf.  Unfortunately, he cannot bring himself to the recognition that
the PLO (with other Arabs) and not Israel pursues the psychopathy of
destruction.

For those not familiar with, e.g., the writings of the psychologist
Erich Fromm, I urge you to consult one of his books with the title
something like "Man and the Nature of Human Destruction (that isn't the
actual title)."  The introduction to this book alone will acquaint you
with the similarity between constructive and destructive behavior.
To epitomize this concept, man has the built-in desire to influence
his surroundings; while it is preferable to influence them in a constructive
way (such as building a homeland for Jews), when this is not possible
it is still satisfying to do so in a destructive way (such as senseless
terrorism against targets unrelated to achieving any positive goals).

Unfortunately, it appears that the Anti-Israel Arabs have fomented such
hate among generations of youth, particularly in (but not limited to)
the Palestinian "refugee" camps (these camps cannot be considered
refugee camps when their inhabitants, now into their third generation,
have never lived in lands now contained within Israel--i.e., they
are not "refugee"'s but rather, resident aliens) that they are unable
to distinguish between constructive and destructive actions.  This
will have the most far-reaching implications for their future abilities
to support themselves, to advance their standards of living, etc., etc.
I personally am deeply disturbed by the effective destruction of a large
population, but in this case sadly there isn't anything I can do to help.

There is no possibility of branding the Israelis as terrorists.  I do
not expect non-Jews to feel a special joy because of the existence of
the State of Israel, but that is quite different from accepting it as
a sovereign state (something no Arab country with the exception of Egypt
has shown any inclination to do).  As a sovereign state, Israel has the
right to protect itself, and its people, against enemies.  Israel has
never rattled its sabre threateningly against any of the Arab States,
but not a day passes during which several of the Arab States don`t vilify
and threaten little Israel with destruction.  When Israeli men are forced
to lay down their livelihoods and pick up rifles, and manage to repel the
would-be invaders, they know very well that if they fail their entire
country would be overrun by hostile armies and Israel would be wiped
off the face of the map and they would all die, G-d forbid that this
should ever happen!  But when they take over the Sinai peninsula,
they are forced to return it to Egypt without a peace treaty not once
but three times.  Israel, it is widely acknowledged, could have had
its troops in the streets of not only Cairo, but also Damascus, Syria
during the 1973 war--what constructive Arab leader would resisted
marching into Jerusalem if they ever get the opportunity?

For those who believe that some kind of "Jewish Lobby" is responsible
for the support given Israel by the United States, I offer you this
parallel between Israel and the U. S. and between the Arabs and the
Russians:  After the end of WW II, the U. S. possessed the most potent
military weapon ever known until then to mankind.  The U. S. could have
exercised its military influence at that juncture to dominate the
rest of the world--particularly the Soviets who were marching into
German territory (of course, Communism was a fitting punishment for
the Germans).  But we did not.

Do you for a moment think that given the Soviets would have refrained
from using the nuclear bomb to advance its ideological ends?
Actually, many suspect that the same situation exists today, and that
the Israelis have the bomb, whereas the Arabs do not.

--J. Abeles

rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) (10/16/85)

Another fine example of French friendliness to the U.S.
and Israel.  You eliminate Egypt, Italy, et al as the
refueler and you absolutely positively know Israel's
equipment quantities and presto...Uncle Sam did it !

I think that is called inference, deduction, or circumstantial
evidence but not just plain evidence.

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (10/16/85)

The title of the book I referred to in the parent article is,
"The Anatomy of Human Destructiveness," by Erich Fromm

--J. Abeles

bmac3@ssc-bee.UUCP (Scott Pilet) (10/16/85)

> > > 2) Israeli war-jets, with the active assistance of the US (in flight
> > > refueling in the air) raid a palestininan camp in the suburbs of
> > > Tunis, the capital of Tunisia, killing 20 tunisians and 40
> > > palestinians.
> > >

> > Your #2 comment is an extremely dangerous statement.  Do you have any proof that
> > U.S. tankers refueled Israeli jets?  Did you ever stop to think that by falsely
>
> Yes! I do have evidence that the US actively participated in the
> Israeli raid on Tunis, by refueling israeli war jets.
> Refering to a newspaper article written by a french
> military analyst and published in the french newspaper "Le Monde"
> (The equivalent of the Washington Post in France) the day after the
> raid.

> After eliminating the possibility of Egypt, Italy, Turkey Greece or
> France aiding the israeli air force in its mission, he concludes
> that the US helped refueling the israeli war jets .

A logical digression by this military analyst may contain meticulous
logic, however, claiming the possession of evidence of US participation
seems illogical when (as I can ascertain from your comments on the
article) the conclusion claiming US participation is arrived at by
saying five other countries couldn't have participated.

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (10/17/85)

Re: J.Abolus 's article 10391 in net.politics <449@mhuxm.UUCP>

Oh Boy!!! I apparently touched a raw nerve! I never thought
that reading or referencing to an article in a respected french
newspaper would bring out all this hilarious and vociferous pro-
israeli propaganda from you!!! Keep on charging!!

Talking with a jewish leader in my community, he suggested non-
jokingly for the US to transplant Israel in desertic parts of
the western states (Arizona, California,..): the climate and
geographic conditions are similar to those in Israel. They would
farm and blossom the land. This would be cheaper for the american
taxpayer than today's US aid and support for Israel, and of course,
this would solve the Middle East problem by returning the israeli
territories to the palestinians, would be palestininans and the
like. Everybody would be happy!!
I could not figure out whether he was joking or talking seriously.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (10/18/85)

> Another fine example of French friendliness to the U.S.
> and Israel.  You eliminate Egypt, Italy, et al as the
> refueler and you absolutely positively know Israel's
> equipment quantities and presto...Uncle Sam did it !
>
> I think that is called inference, deduction, or circumstantial
> evidence but not just plain evidence.
>
> Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

I fully agree with you.  Your supposed to be considered innocent till proven
guilty.  The US cannot be implicated in the raid on Tunis without due process
of law.  And considering the 'ify' evidence, I think the US has nothing to
worry about.

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (10/18/85)

DAVID WOLPERT writes:

>        Justification of acts of terrorism (or war, for that matter)
> usually goes along the lines of "It takes drastic action, otherwise
> our cause will be ignored".  The problem with taking drastic action
> is that the "cure" is *always* worse than the disease.  (I am being
> sincere here.   I think the U.S. would be better off today if there
> had been no Revolution back in the 18th century,  to say nothing of
> the wars since then).  [D. WOLPERT]

All I said was that only the warped think war is good.  I didn't say
anything about war being worse than any conceivable alternative.  Does
Mr. Wolpert believe the people of the Confederate States of America,
all of them, would have been better off had there been no War Between
the States in the First century before my time, with the South being
allowed peacefully to secede?  Does he believe the Children of Israel
would have been better off if they had ignored the L-rd's command to
war against the Canaanites and conquer them, and instead either (a)
wandered around forever in the desert till they died out, or (b) returned
to Egypt and tried peacefully to persuade their former masters to treat
them better?  Does he believe that today's Jews would be better off if
there had been no War of Independence 37 years ago, and Palestine was
still under the British Mandate with Arab pogroms every Monday and
Thursday?

What should Israel's response be if Syria decides, chas v'sholom, to
start exterminating all Syrian Jewry in gas chambers?

>			  I believe that war (terrorism) destroys
> things that are required for survival:  not just people and other
> natural resources, but trust and love.   [D. WOLPERT]

I agree 100%.  But war and terrorism are not the only things that
destroy people, resources, trust, and love.  Just as American Jews
live their lives balancing off the competing good values of Truth,
Justice, Freedom, Yiddishkeit, Ivy, and the American Way, so mankind
as a whole must sometimes choose the Lesser Evil among War, Terrorism,
Persecution, Slavery, and Standing Idly By Your Brother's Blood.  No
one ever said it was easy!

					-- Matt Rosenblatt

--------
"SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM."

oliver@unc.UUCP (Bill Oliver) (10/20/85)

In article <1742@akgua.UUCP> rjb@akgua.UUCP (R.J. Brown [Bob]) writes:

>Another fine example of French friendliness to the U.S.
>and Israel.  You eliminate Egypt, Italy, et al as the
>refueler and you absolutely positively know Israel's
>equipment quantities and presto...Uncle Sam did it !
>
>I think that is called inference, deduction, or circumstantial
>evidence but not just plain evidence.
>
>Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

It's called wishful thinking.

Bill Oliver

steinber@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Louis Steinberg) (10/22/85)

>From: aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri @ ITT-ATC, Shelton Ct.)
>
> Oh Boy!!! I apparently touched a raw nerve! I never thought
> that reading or referencing to an article in a respected french
> newspaper would bring out all this hilarious and vociferous pro-
> israeli propaganda from you!!!

There are two schools of thought on the proper response to this kind of
message.  One says that responding to it merely dignifies it, and
rewards the sender (who apparently enjoys making Jews angry).  After
all, it should be apparent to anyone reading these messages that the
vociferous response was not for referencing the article (let alone reading
it!) but for the statements surrounding it that were calculated to
damage Israel.  Furthermore, Aouriri clearly has no rational defense
since he is reduced to name calling.  Aouriri appears foolish enough by
himself, why respond?

The other school of thought says that, unfortunately, history has proven
that if we do not respond to such things an atmosphere is established
in which it is legitimate to say the most outrageous things, and they
do damage, even when not totally believed, because of the attitude on
the hearers' part that "where there's smoke there must be fire", i.e.
that if all these things are being said at least some of them must be true.

In this case, I might not have responded were it not necessary to point out
and refute another implicit claim:

> Talking with a jewish leader in my community, he suggested non-
> jokingly for the US to transplant Israel in desertic parts of
> the western states [...] and of course,
> this would solve the Middle East problem by returning the israeli
> territories to the palestinians, would be palestininans and the
> like. Everybody would be happy!!

No real Jewish leader would say this seriously. In fact, no one who
knows  anything about the Middle East should say this seriously, since
it makes the implicit claim that removing Israel from the Middle East
would solve "the Middle East problem".  In fact Israel is far from the
only Middle East problem, as witness the splintered factions in
Lebanon, the problems between Libya and its neighbors, the problems
between Syria and Jordan and between Iran and Iraq, etc., etc.
Implying that Israel is "the" Middle East problem means that all the
United States has to do is throw Israel to the wolves, and we would
magically be freed of all our problems with the Middle East.  This is
an attractive thought to some, but it is wishful thinking.  Even
without Israel the Middle East would be a major trouble spot and
policy dilemma for the US.

The other implicit claim here is that for Jews the land of Israel
is simply so much acreage and is replacable by any other land of similar
climate.  In fact, there is a deep cultural attachment to this specific
land, even for the non-religious.  Note, for instance, that for places
like Beit Lechem (Bethlehem) the Hebrew name is *older* than the Arabic
one.  This attachment is based on historical facts, not just the
theological claims (although for those who believe the theology, it is
of course the primary claim).  It would make more sense to propose
moving the palestinian homeland to some other arid land in the Arab
world, since there at least the culture and language would be the same.

Perhaps this "Jewish leader" was trying to educate you by making an
obviously obsurd suggestion in the hope that by thinking about why it
was obsurd you would learn something?

harry@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (& I. Rubin) (10/22/85)

In article <12439@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> {Speaking about alleged U.S. refueling of Israeli jets during Israel's
> recent bombing raid on Tunis.}
>
> ...  Your {sic} supposed to be considered innocent till proven
>guilty.  The US cannot be implicated in the raid on Tunis without due process
>of law.

This is true in U.S. law, not necessarily true in international law,
and certainly not true of worldwide public opinion.

"This court must construe according to the law; the people of this land
must construe according to their wits!"
			--  spoken by Sir Thomas More,
				in A MAN FOR ALL SEASON
				by Robert Bolt
				(if memory serves)

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (10/22/85)

In <495@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) writes:
>Talking with a jewish leader in my community, he suggested non-
>jokingly for the US to transplant Israel in desertic parts of
>the western states (Arizona, California,..): the climate and
>geographic conditions are similar to those in Israel. They would
>farm and blossom the land. This would be cheaper for the american
>taxpayer than today's US aid and support for Israel, and of course,
>this would solve the Middle East problem by returning the israeli
>territories to the palestinians, would be palestininans and the
>like. Everybody would be happy!!

Hardly. The Jewish people have a special link to the Land of Israel.
For two thousand years, we have said at Passover, "Next Year in Jerusalem!".
Jewish law has a whole set of rules which apply only within the borders
of the (biblical) Land of Israel. And Israel has never been without
Jews; Jerusalem, in particular, has had a Jewish majority
since the mid-19th century or before.

"Returning territory" to the Arabs is not the issue. Resettling
the Arabs who are in "refugee camps" (once you're into the third
generation, that's hardly the right term anymore) is. Israel
absorbed millions of Jews from around the world, including hundreds
of thousands from Arab countries. The Arab countries could absorb
the "Palestinian refugees" if they wanted to.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave