[net.religion.jewish] The name "Dan"

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/23/85)

In English, the proper name "Dan" is just about always a nickname and
an abbreviation for "Daniel". Is the Israeli name "Dan" the same, or
is it a completely separate name, with nothing to do with "Daniel"?
(Would a native Israeli ever have the name "Daniel"? If so, would he
ever have "Dan" as a nickname?) Thanks!

Will Martin

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

matt@brl-tgr.ARPA (Matthew Rosenblatt ) (10/24/85)

WILL MARTIN writes:

> In English, the proper name "Dan" is just about always a nickname and
> an abbreviation for "Daniel". Is the Israeli name "Dan" the same, or
> is it a completely separate name, with nothing to do with "Daniel"?
> (Would a native Israeli ever have the name "Daniel"? If so, would he
> ever have "Dan" as a nickname?) Thanks!

"Dan" comes from a Hebrew root meaning, "to judge."  "Daniel" is one of
many Biblical names ending in "El," where "El" means "G-d" or "mighty
one."  If "Dan" = "judge," then "Dani" = "my judge" (Hebrew first person
possessive ending), and "Daniel" = "G-d is my judge."

Scripture tells us that when Rachel's handmaid Bilhah conceived and bore
a son for her to her husband Jacob, Rachel said,

	"G-d hath judged me, and hath also heard my voice,
	 and hath given me a son."  (Genesis 30:6)

We see from all this that (1) "Dan" and "Daniel" are related; (2) Dan
came first in time, so his name cannot be short for Daniel.  I have
heard of Israelis nicknamed "Dani" (sort of like the English "Danny,"
where the "-i" here is a nickname ending, not the "-i" of the
first person possessive), but not "Dan."  Does anyone else have
more complete information?

					-- Matt Rosenblatt

yossi@mtuxo.UUCP (j.friedman) (10/25/85)

Dan is the name of one of Jacob's sons (one of the twelve tribes).
Daniel is the name of a prophet.  I believe they both stem from
the Hebrew "dan" which means to judge.
A "native Israeli" as well as a "native American Jew" may have
either name given him.  As for nicknames, Daniel is sometimes
shortened to Dani (Danny), although I haven't heard
that nickname for Dan.  I also don't remember hearing the nickname
Dan for Daniel probably because in Hebrew they are two distinct names.

By the way, in Hebrew the 'a' of Dan, Daniel, and Dani is pronounced
almost like the 'o' in cot.

Joe Friedman
AT&T-IS Lincroft
mtuxo!yossi
(201) 576-7179
LZ 3e-306

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (10/29/85)

> Dan is the name of one of Jacob's sons (one of the twelve tribes).
> Daniel is the name of a prophet.  I believe they both stem from
> the Hebrew "dan" which means to judge.
> A "native Israeli" as well as a "native American Jew" may have
> either name given him.  As for nicknames, Daniel is sometimes
> shortened to Dani (Danny), although I haven't heard
> that nickname for Dan.  I also don't remember hearing the nickname

	Just thought I'd mention that I have heard of a Dan being called
 Donny.

				Eliyahu Teitz.