[net.religion.jewish] Women's participation

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (10/25/85)

> I sometimes wonder if women realize
> the obligations they wish to take on.
> Michael L. Schneider

I often wonder if MEN realize the obligations they attempt to take on
vis-a-vis orthodoxy.  Most of what I have read in favor of excluding women
from participation is baloney, at best.  Many orthopracts are of the "do as
I say, not as I do" school.

mls@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Michael Schneider) (10/28/85)

David Green writes:

> I often wonder if MEN realize the obligations they attempt to take on
> vis-a-vis orthodoxy.  Most of what I have read in favor of excluding women
> from participation is baloney, at best.  Many orthopracts are of the "do as
> I say, not as I do" school.

Men have these obligations from the age of 13 if they are Jews; they can not
escape them.  From a halachic viewpoint, the only question is "Do they try
to fulfill their obligations?"  Since Mr Green considers himself in a position
to judge, I will pose the following situation:

At the present time, women are not obligated to perform mitzvot that are
fixed in time, such as praying with a minyon.  ASSUME that this restriction
is lifted and they must pray with a minyon.  It is the first Shabbat after
the restriction is lifted and it is time to go.  But, there is a baby
who can not walk.  If the family can not afford or find a baby sitter
what should they do?  Should they carry the baby (and everything that goes with
one!) to services and break the rule that one can not carry on Shabbat?
Or, should one person stay at home and not fulfill her or his obligation?
Remember, we are asking women to take on additional obligations, not asking
men to give up current obligations.

Is there any other solution for this problem (other that have a minyon at every
house where there are babies) that does not require the breaking of halacha
or not fulfilling a person's obligation?  I have given this as an example,
but could pose a number of other situations.  So, in examining this
problem, let us not use the red herring that most men don't perform the
mitzvot.  Most Orthodox men pray with a minyon on Shabbat if they are able to
do so.

Michael L. Schneider

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (10/29/85)

> David Green writes:
> > I often wonder if MEN realize the obligations they attempt to take on
> > vis-a-vis orthodoxy.  Most of what I have read in favor of excluding women
> > from participation is baloney, at best.  Many orthopracts are of the "do as
> > I say, not as I do" school.
>
> Since Mr Green considers himself in a position
> to judge . . .

Mr. Green used phrases and words such as "I often wonder, most and many" in
the posting; merely an observation, not a "judgement." [Side note: You
call me "Mr" (sic), how do you know it is not Dr. Green or Master Green
or Dovid HaMelech or Senor Green . . .]

> At the present time, women are not obligated to perform mitzvot that are
> fixed in time, such as praying with a minyon.  ASSUME that this restriction
> is lifted and they must pray with a minyon.  It is the first Shabbat after
> the restriction is lifted and it is time to go.  But, there is a baby
> who can not walk.  If the family can not afford or find a baby sitter
> what should they do?  Should they carry the baby (and everything that goes with
> one!) to services and break the rule that one can not carry on Shabbat?

Assuming the family is as frum as you would like to believe, they would of
course live in an area with an "Eruv" and therefore be quite able to
wheel the baby.  [Another note: I would prefer to hear the sound of a
baby in shul than the "orthodox" men discussing the latest line on the
Jets or the relative merits of Gary Carter vs. Keith Hernandez . . .]

> Or, should one person stay at home and not fulfill her or his obligation?
> Remember, we are asking women to take on additional obligations, not asking
> men to give up current obligations.

If I recall, a minyan is only needed to recite Kaddish and the Kedushah during
the repetition of the Amidah, etc.  One can still have services without a minyan.
Again, would a "frum" couple live in an area where a shabbos minyan is
hard to come by?  *WE*  ARE NOT ASKING WOMEN TO TAKE ON ADDITIONAL OBLIGATIONS,
*SOME*  ARE ASKING TRADITIONAL ORTHODOXY (AND OTHER BRANCHES) FOR MORE EQUITABLE
PARTICIPATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> Most Orthodox men pray with a minyon on Shabbat if they are able to
> do so.
> Michael L. Schneider

Before I say "bullfeathers" to the above statement, one must define
orthodox; something *I* am not about to do.  It has been my experience
that most members of orthodox shuls in the NY-tristate area attend
services twice per year, at best.

The point that I am trying to make is that orthodoxy has succeeded in
alienating a large percentage of Jewish women and men.  I am not
advocating breach of Halakha;  I am just looking for a little realism
and perspective.  Somebody once said something about "He who is free from
sin should cast the first stone", sounds like good advice to me!

But then again, maybe the orthodox establishment has alienating Jewish
women and men as a goal.  Sometimes I wonder.
David S. Green, noted computer scientist [noted by whom?]

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (11/05/85)

In article <366@mhuxi.UUCP> dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) writes:
>> At the present time, women are not obligated to perform mitzvot that are
>> fixed in time, such as praying with a minyon.  ASSUME that this restriction
>> is lifted and they must pray with a minyon.  It is the first Shabbat after
>> the restriction is lifted and it is time to go.  But, there is a baby
>> who can not walk.  If the family can not afford or find a baby sitter
>> what should they do?  Should they carry the baby (and everything that goes with
>> one!) to services and break the rule that one can not carry on Shabbat?
>
>Assuming the family is as frum as you would like to believe, they would of
>course live in an area with an "Eruv" and therefore be quite able to
>wheel the baby.

Not necessarily true. Many cities do not have eruvin. And in
many cities which do, there are groups within the community
who choose not to honour it. (In Toronto, the Lubavitch community
does not carry on Shabbos, for a combination of reasons which
include technical questions about the validity of the eruv and
the issue of "chinuch", teaching children about the laws against
carrying on Shabbos, particularly where the eruv is not obvious
to everyone.)

>> Most Orthodox men pray with a minyon on Shabbat if they are able to
>> do so.
>
>Before I say "bullfeathers" to the above statement, one must define
>orthodox; something *I* am not about to do.  It has been my experience
>that most members of orthodox shuls in the NY-tristate area attend
>services twice per year, at best.

I dislike labels such as "Orthodox". How about Shomer Shabbos?
That's reasonably easy to define. I would say it's quite true
that most men who are Shomer Shabbos try to daven with a minyan
on Shabbos.

This is not to say that I disagree with everything in *. Green's article.

Dave Sherman
Toronto
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave