[net.religion.jewish] Israel Spying on United States

tim@k.cs.cmu.edu (Tim Maroney) (12/07/85)

First, I agree that the initial question, from whomever it was, that Jews'
"loyalty" is in question was quite anti-Semitic.

This is unfortunate, because the basic issue is one that seems to merit
discussion.  Where does Israel get off spying on the United States, who is
their greatest friend in the world?  Who gives them all these neat weapons?
Who is continually jeapordizing its energy sources out of friendship to
Israel?  Who is probably the greatest single reason that Israel still
survives?  Who is always willing to look the other way when Israel blatantly
violates agreements concerning the use of US weapons such as fighter planes
and cluster bombs?  I mean, this really stinks!

I think we should support Israel, provided we make weapons sales contingent
on adherence to the terms of their sale and make economic aid contingent on
the abolition of theocratic laws, but another incident like this and I will
have to start wondering if the government isn't too corrupt and unreliable
to deal with on any friendly basis.  Talk about a stab in the back!
-=-
Tim Maroney, Software Designer, CMU Center for Art and Technology
tim@k.cs.cmu.edu       | uucp: {seismo,decwrl,ucbvax,etc.}!k.cs.cmu.edu!tim
CompuServe: 74176,1360 | This is at least as funny as my other signatures.

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (12/09/85)

In article <696@k.cs.cmu.edu>, tim@k.cs.cmu.edu (Tim Maroney) writes:
> Where does Israel get off spying on the United States, who is
> their greatest friend in the world?  Who gives them all these neat weapons?
> Who is continually jeapordizing its energy sources out of friendship to
> Israel?  Who is probably the greatest single reason that Israel still
> survives?  Who is always willing to look the other way when Israel blatantly
> violates agreements concerning the use of US weapons such as fighter planes
> and cluster bombs?  I mean, this really stinks!

Allies always spy on each other.  The world is an ugly place.

> I think we should support Israel, provided we make weapons sales contingent
> on adherence to the terms of their sale and make economic aid contingent on
> the abolition of theocratic laws, but another incident like this and I will
> have to start wondering if the government isn't too corrupt and unreliable
> to deal with on any friendly basis.  Talk about a stab in the back!

Does the same go for Arab countries?  All have many more theocratic laws
than Israel, but we sell them arms.  Jews aren't allowed in Saudi Arabia
and we sold them the AWACS.  The penalty for selling Jordanian-claimed
land to a Jew is *death* and we are planning to sell them more arms.
Since you consider England to be a theocracy should this prevent us
from aiding them, should they require it?

dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) (12/09/85)

In article <696@k.cs.cmu.edu>, tim@k.cs.cmu.edu (Tim Maroney) writes:
> First, I agree that the initial question, from whomever it was, that Jews'
> "loyalty" is in question was quite anti-Semitic.
>
> This is unfortunate, because the basic issue is one that seems to merit
> discussion.  Where does Israel get off spying on the United States, who is
> their greatest friend in the world?  Who gives them all these neat weapons?
> Who is continually jeapordizing its energy sources out of friendship to
> Israel?  Who is probably the greatest single reason that Israel still
> survives?  Who is always willing to look the other way when Israel blatantly
> violates agreements concerning the use of US weapons such as fighter planes
> and cluster bombs?  I mean, this really stinks!

WHAT????? "...out of friendship to Israel?" I've got some news for you:
Israel is the only stable foothold the western world has in the mid-east.
Do you think the US spends billions because they have a love for Israel or
the Jews??? If so, you're nuts. The US has political and military interests
in the region and Israel is the only ally that can be relied on. The US
isn't doing anyone any favors... If Israel were to disappear off the face
of the earth, we would be in deep sh*t. "Blatantly violating agreements"???
The US sticks its nose in the air every time Israel uses an American weapon
because of world opinion. We're so terribly worried about what the rest of
the world is going to think that occasionally the US has to scold Israel
for doing naughty things. Instead, we should openly embrace Israels fight
for existence instead of paying lip-service to the rest of the world.

> I think we should support Israel, provided we make weapons sales contingent
> on adherence to the terms of their sale and make economic aid contingent on
> the abolition of theocratic laws, but another incident like this and I will
> have to start wondering if the government isn't too corrupt and unreliable
> to deal with on any friendly basis.  Talk about a stab in the back!
> -=-
> Tim Maroney, Software Designer, CMU Center for Art and Technology

I think before the US can preach human rights to the rest of the world,
we have to clean up our own act first. How can we dictate freedom when
Sixty Minutes reports on apartheid practiced in states like Mississippi?
(Last night's broadcast). Wake up.... this holier than thou attitude we have
is trash... Israel, and many other of the western countries are as demo-
cratic and tolerant as we are.... After we clean up our own ghettos, then
we can worry about "theocratic laws". Funny.... I never heard of anyone
going hungry in Israel... can we say that???

Dave Bloom