[net.religion.jewish] Zionism is not racism; Anti-Israel = antisemitic

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (11/17/85)

> The following identity is FALSE :
> Muslim = Arab = Anti-semitic = Anti-israel
> (Chedley Aourouri (sp?) )

Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:

anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic

Reason:  The existence of Israel allows Jews everywhere the
security of a homeland... or even a refuge (need I mention
the case of Russian Jews who may soon be allowed to leave
Soviet Russia ONLY because they will go to Israel?).

To spell it out, anyone who is anti-Israel is in favor
of compromising the sovereignity of the State of Israel,
the existence of which is of personal importance to
the security of Jews everywhere.

--J. Abeles

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (11/17/85)

> > The following identity is FALSE :
> > Muslim = Arab = Anti-semitic = Anti-israel
>
> Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:
> anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic
> [reasons follow]

But does this mean that the groups of Orthodox Jews who oppose Israel on the
grounds that only the Messiah may end the Diasporah are anti-Semitic?  I don't
think so.  Do you?

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (11/17/85)

> > > The following identity is FALSE :
> > > Muslim = Arab = Anti-semitic = Anti-israel
> >
> > Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:
> > anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic
> > [reasons follow]
>
> But does this mean that the groups of Orthodox Jews who oppose Israel on the
> grounds that only the Messiah may end the Diasporah are anti-Semitic?  I don't
> think so.  Do you?

Have you ever heard the saying that the worst antisemite is
a Jewish antisemite?  And if there be the slightest
hint of double entendre there, I apologize in advance!

--J. Abeles

arnold@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Kenneth C R C Arnold) (11/19/85)

In article <482@mhuxm.UUCP> abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles) writes:
>> The following identity is FALSE :
>> Muslim = Arab = Anti-semitic = Anti-israel
>> (Chedley Aourouri (sp?) )
>
>Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:
>
>anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic

The preceding identity is FALSE.

I could cite some friends of mine who are practicing Jews, but object
to Israel or many of its policies, but let me instead refer to a piece
of Israeli history.  At the time of the debate after WW II about
whether Israel should be founded, many very Orthodox Jews opposed it
for religous reasons which, I believe, had to do with founding Israel
before the coming of the Messiah (excuse the use of non-Hebrew terms,
and any clarification about their exact reasons is welcome).  These
people were not anitsemetic, and since the Messiah has not come, I
presume that there are devout Jews who still hold this view.

If you brush this aside as being a minor nitpick, I will be forced to
cite my observant friends who disapprove of Israel.  Primarily, they
consider Israel to have been founded substantially on terrorism by many
Jewish settlers (of which Begin is the most famous in the U.S.), and to
be acting improperly in their policies towards the occupied West Bank.
If they were computer people, I'd sit them at the terminal, but I know
Mr. Abeles's identity to be false, and degrading to the richness of
Jewish diversity and thought.

One might also point out that it is possible to be against the
current state of Israel without being against Zionism in principle.
I don't know anyone who holds this view, but there are various
views of what a true Zionist Israeli state would be like, and there
is no guarantee that some Zionist somehwere isn't anti-Israel as it is
currently constituted (maybe Kahane is one such).  This, however, *is*
a minor nitpick, as far as I know.
		Ken Arnold

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (11/20/85)

> One might also point out that it is possible to be against the
> current state of Israel without being against Zionism in principle.

One who is "against the current State of Israel" by oppossing its policies
is not an antisemite.  One who supports its destruction is.  (or opposes
any policy that appreciably differs from surrender)

Make whatever you want of anti-Zionist Jews.  I know that they really
belive in their position, and don't take it because they are anitsemtic,
but were things to go their way it would benifit the antisemites, not
the Jews.

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (11/20/85)

> >> The following identity is FALSE :
> >> Muslim = Arab = Anti-semitic = Anti-israel
> >> (Chedley Aourouri (sp?) )
> >Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:
> >anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic  (J. Abeles)
> The preceding identity is FALSE.
>                 ...  At the time of the debate after WW II about
> whether Israel should be founded, many very Orthodox Jews opposed it
> for religous reasons which, I believe, had to do with founding Israel
> before the coming of the Messiah ...
>
> One might also point out that it is possible to be against the
> current state of Israel without being against Zionism in principle.
> 		(Ken Arnold)

My response:

1)  There ARE orthopractic Jews today who are anti-Zionist.
    It is my deeply-held belief that they are indeed anti-semitic.

2)  There is a difference between legitimate disagreement with
    the policies of the State of Israel, and anti-Zionism.
    Simply because of the well-known threat to the existence
    of the State of Israel, it is necessary to categorically
    state frequently that one is not anti-Zionist when criticizing
    the policies.

3)  Remember that if you are anti-Zionist, you are advocating
    the destruction of the State of Israel, NOT its modification
    to your preferred form.  That is because it is the destruction
    of Israel which is being debated, and which is constantly
    called for by most Arab States.  When I, for example, say
    I don't like the French (because they aid shamelessly
    in the proliferation of nuclear technology to irresponsible
    third-world governments) nobody assumes that I am calling
    for the destruction of France!  NOT SO where Israel is concerned.

--J. Abeles

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (11/24/85)

> > The following identity is FALSE :
> > Muslim = Arab = Anti-semitic = Anti-israel
>
> Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:
>
> anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic
>
> Reason:  The existence of Israel allows Jews everywhere the
> security of a homeland... or even a refuge (need I mention
> the case of Russian Jews who may soon be allowed to leave
> Soviet Russia ONLY because they will go to Israel?).
    						ON THEIR WAY TO THE USA!!

> To spell it out, anyone who is anti-Israel is in favor
> of compromising the sovereignity of the State of Israel,
> the existence of which is of personal importance to
> the security of Jews everywhere.

  J. Aboolowos is WRONG!! The existence of Israel is NOT of personal
importance to the security of jews everywhere.
Throughout history, Jews existed, prospered and integrated in all
nations and societies all over the world. Often, they provided the
financial business strata of the societies where they lived.
Even today, more jews live outside Israel than inside. Most of them
have no desire to emigrate to Israel. If you do not believe me,
ask any american jewish.
True, the european and particularly the german jewry experienced a
truly traumatic event during the 30's in Nazi Germany.
The creation of Israel is the result of the Holocaust.Preriod.
Without the Holocaust, the zionists would not have enough motivation
to drive the persecuted european jews to Palestine.

Conclusion :
 Anti-Israel is NOT anti-zionist and certainly NOT antisemitic.

jho@ihlpa.UUCP (Yosi Hoshen) (11/24/85)

> Throughout history, Jews existed, prospered and integrated in all
> nations and societies all over the world. Often, they provided the
> financial business strata of the societies where they lived.

> True, the european and particularly the german jewry experienced a
> truly traumatic event during the 30's in Nazi Germany.

Jews have suffered in not only in Europe and not only during the 30's.
Jews have also  been persecuted by the  Muslims in Arab lands.
As matter of fact, at present, the majority of Jews currently living in
Israel are either refugies or descendents of Jewish refugies who fled
to Israel after its creation.

To illustrate  my point on Arab oppression of Jews, I am posting a letter
sent to the Ann Arbor News on 4/13/75 (with the permission of the author)
by Aviva Mutchnick.  Aviva came to Israel in her early childhood as a
refugee from Iraq.  This is her story:
                     ----------------

		REFUGEES FROM ARAB STATES

    My family can claim continuing residence in Bagdad, Iraq for nearly
2,500 years.  In all that time we were considered strangers, people in
exile.  We were the Jews of Israel taken into captivity by the Babylonians
some 600 years before the birth of Christ.

    The people of Bagdad have referred to their city as the "Tray of
Gold," but a popular Jewish lyric depicts Bagdad as a "Tray of Gold...
with a scorpion in it."  The Oriental Jews withstood many persecutions
and endured the periodic decimations of pogroms.

    My family recalls the pogrom of 1941 when a massacre of Iraqi Jews
followed the failure of the Arabs to oust out the British from an alliance
with Nazi Germany.  The rebels vented their rage on the Jewish Quarter.
Many dozens of Jewish lives were terminated.

    The situation of Iraqi Jews deteriorated when Israel was proclaimed
a sovereign state in 1948.  Even though Jews were considered second class
non citizens, they were not allowed to emigrate.  Those who attempted to
flee were caught and hanged in the public square.

    Iraqi Jews were finally allowed to depart in 1951, but were not
premitted to take any possessions except the clothing on their backs.
These hapless 125,000 victims were accepted by Israel with the full
realization the economic hardships would effect the fledgling nation.
Refugees were sheltered in tents and shacks.  Food stamps were employed
to distribute the limited quantities of food.  As a consequence, rationing
was instituted for the entire country in order to provide the Jewish
refugees from Arab states.

    My family, like many others with a large number of children, was
given a tent with canvas sleeping cots.  This was to be our home for
eight years.

    Pneumonia was common amongst the children as their meager clothing
provided unsuitable for the wet winter weather.  Makeshift barracks,
unheated, served as schools.  The low protein and high starch diet
lowered resistance to infection....

    Within two decades, the situation changed.  All refugee camps
disappeared as the former Oriental Jews were assimilated into the fabric
of the new Israeli society.  Problems remain, inequities occur, but all
Israelis are geared to sacrifice for the common good.

    Not all Jews were fortunate to leave Iraq of for that matter, Syria.
A small number maintained their protestations of loyalty to the Iraqi
governments.  Their fate has subsequently proved horrendous as they are
now captives of repressive governments.  Loyal, though they might claim
to be, saboteurs and the fifth columnists they have been declared.

    Many Jews were under house arrest for years, were condemned in
kangaroo courts for treason and sentenced to death.  How ludicrous the
charges, how awful the spectacle of their motionless bodies in the
hangmam's noose in the square of Bagdad....in the presence of jubilant
and cheering Iraqi Arabs.

    In Israel the refugees from Arab States now control their own fate.
They are no longer a repressed minority subject to the excesses of
tyrannical Arab governments.

    How ironic that Arab refugees from Israel were placed in detention
camps by there brethren.  How regrettable that they were denied the basic
human rights of other Arab citizens in the host countries.

    Israel has succeeded to well with her refugees as she responded out
of need and deep love.  The ingathering of repressed Jews continues.

					Aviva Mutchnick
			----------------
--
Yosi Hoshen, AT&T Bell Laboratories
Naperville, Illinois,  Mail: ihnp4!ihlpa!jho

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (11/25/85)

> > Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:
> >
> > anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic
> >
> > Reason:  The existence of Israel allows Jews everywhere the
> > security of a homeland... or even a refuge (need I mention
> > the case of Russian Jews who may soon be allowed to leave
> > Soviet Russia ONLY because they will go to Israel?).
> >
> > To spell it out, anyone who is anti-Israel is in favor
> > of compromising the sovereignity of the State of Israel,
> > the existence of which is of personal importance to
> > the security of Jews everywhere.
> >
>   J. Aboolowos is WRONG!! The existence of Israel is NOT of personal
> importance to the security of jews everywhere.
> Throughout history, Jews existed, prospered and integrated in all
> nations and societies all over the world. Often, they provided the
> financial business strata of the societies where they lived.

And then were either killed or thrown out of the country
Nazi germany, Spanish inquisition a few hundred years ago ....
(turks .... )

> Even today, more jews live outside Israel than inside. Most of them
> have no desire to emigrate to Israel. If you do not believe me,
> ask any american jewish.
> True, the european and particularly the german jewry experienced a
> truly traumatic event during the 30's in Nazi Germany.

Rather traumatic !!!!!!!!!

> The creation of Israel is the result of the Holocaust.Preriod.
> Without the Holocaust, the zionists would not have enough motivation
> to drive the persecuted european jews to Palestine.

 There was a movement before the Holocaust to establish a Jewish state
but it is true that the Holocaust was the major force in recreating
the Jewish state from a few hundred years before. I think the
Holocaust it one hell of a good reason to recreate a Jewish state
that has been taken away time and time again.(and never will be
taken away again until every JEW is killed)

> Conclusion :
>  Anti-Israel is NOT anti-zionist and certainly NOT antisemitic.

This is sadly true. There are Jews out there who are ashamed of
being Jews and are very ashamed of Israel. The kind of Jews that
they are should be considered here also.E

Mark

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (11/25/85)

> > >Well, that may be so, but the following identity is TRUE:
> > >anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic  (J. Abeles)

> > The preceding identity is FALSE.
> >                 ...  At the time of the debate after WW II about
> > whether Israel should be founded, many very Orthodox Jews opposed it
> > for religous reasons which, I believe, had to do with founding Israel
> > before the coming of the Messiah ...
> >
> > One might also point out that it is possible to be against the
> > current state of Israel without being against Zionism in principle.
> > 		(Ken Arnold)
>
> My response:
>
> 1)  There ARE orthopractic Jews today who are anti-Zionist.
>     It is my deeply-held belief that they are indeed anti-semitic.

	I'm glad you feel this way. However, your opinion does not an
 identity make. There are amny Jews ( both Orthodox and not ) who do
 not believe in Zionism. This does not in any way mean that they hate
 Jews.

> 2)  There is a difference between legitimate disagreement with
>     the policies of the State of Israel, and anti-Zionism.
>     Simply because of the well-known threat to the existence
>     of the State of Israel, it is necessary to categorically
>     state frequently that one is not anti-Zionist when criticizing
>     the policies.

	What does this have to do with equating anti-zionism and
 anti-semitism.

> 3)  Remember that if you are anti-Zionist, you are advocating
>     the destruction of the State of Israel, NOT its modification
>     to your preferred form.  That is because it is the destruction
>     of Israel which is being debated, and which is constantly
>     called for by most Arab States.  When I, for example, say
>     I don't like the French (because they aid shamelessly
>     in the proliferation of nuclear technology to irresponsible
>     third-world governments) nobody assumes that I am calling
>     for the destruction of France!  NOT SO where Israel is concerned.

	And if I advocate the destruction of the state of Israel am I
 advocating the destruction of Jews. I don't think so. I'm sure there
 is a safe way of removing all the Jews from Israel and then returning the
 land to others. I don't believe in doing this, since I believe we have
 a right to the land. However, if someone was to advocate such a scheme
 I could hardly call him anti-semitic although I could call him anti-
 zionist.

	Eliyahu Teitz.

arnold@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Kenneth C R C Arnold) (11/26/85)

In article <489@mhuxm.UUCP> abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles) writes:
>>> ... the following identity is TRUE:
>>> anti-Israel = anti-Zionist = antisemitic  (J. Abeles)
>>
>> The preceding identity is FALSE.
>>
>>                 ...  At the time of the debate after WW II about
>> whether Israel should be founded, many very Orthodox Jews opposed it
>> for religous reasons which, I believe, had to do with founding Israel
>> before the coming of the Messiah ...
>>
>> One might also point out that it is possible to be against the
>> current state of Israel without being against Zionism in principle.
>> 		(Ken Arnold)
>
>My response:
>
>1)  There ARE orthopractic Jews today who are anti-Zionist.
>    It is my deeply-held belief that they are indeed anti-semitic.

Deeply hold this view all you like.  How many Jews would agree?  I find
this a hard view to credit.  I would admit that there are people of
groups (in this case Jews) who adopt the anti-<group> (in this case
anti-semitic) views of a surrounding society, but these people
generally try and blend into the outside society.  Surely there are
anti-semitic racial Jews (i.e., from Jewish background), but I find it
hard to understand how devout, practicing, and serious Jews can be
considered anit-semitic.

>2)  There is a difference between legitimate disagreement with
>    the policies of the State of Israel, and anti-Zionism.

You said Anti-Israel == Anti-Zionist.  You seem to be refuting that
here.  Kahane, as I understand it, believes that the current state of
Israel is not the Zionist state because it allows Arab citizenship.  He
is certainly against the state of Israel as it stands, but is also,
certainly, a Zionist.  He is also, certainly, a facist pig as far as
I'm concerned, but this is beside the point.

If you define "Anti-Israel" as "Against the existence of *any* state of
Israel", you are stating a tautology, and we are just having a
confusion engendered by differeing definitions.  It seems to me
that Israel *is* a republic in which citizens vote for a representative
parliment, in which every (legal) resident is a citizen, in which
freedoms often termed "Western" exist, etc.  These are fundamental to
the State of Israel, so I presumed that by "anti-Israel" you meant
"against the Israeli system".

>3)  Remember that if you are anti-Zionist, you are advocating
>    the destruction of the State of Israel, NOT its modification
>    to your preferred form.  That is because it is the destruction
>    of Israel which is being debated, and which is constantly
>    called for by most Arab States.  When I, for example, say
>    I don't like the French ... nobody assumes that I am calling
>    for the destruction of France!  NOT SO where Israel is concerned.

As I understand the Zionist movement, it started as a movement for an
independent state for the Jews, whether or not in Palestine.
Certainly, anyone who is anti-Zionist does not believe that a Jewish
state should exist.  However, your terms are a bit loaded.  My
anti-Zionist Jewish friends might prefer the term "dismantle", but
mostly they just feel that they are under no obligation to support
Israel, since (they feel) it should never have been founded in the
first place.  One cannot unshatter the glass, but one is not required
to applaud the mess created, they say.

Note that I am only objecting to the equating of being anti-Zionist
with being anti-semitic, since I know Jews who are anti-Zionist, but
not self-hateful.  I think you are unintentionally insulting them by
dismissing such dissent as anti-semitic when it is clearly not.  It
seems to be argument by name-calling, which is only a form of political
proof, not a form of reasoned or humane proof.

		Ken Arnold

martillo@hector.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) (11/27/85)

In article <11085@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> arnold@ucbvax.UUCP (Kenneth C R C Arnold) writes:

>>> The preceding identity is FALSE.
>>>
>>>                 ...  At the time of the debate after WW II about
>>> whether Israel should be founded, many very Orthodox Jews opposed it
>>> for religous reasons which, I believe, had to do with founding Israel
>>> before the coming of the Messiah ...
>>>
>>> One might also point out that it is possible to be against the
>>> current state of Israel without being against Zionism in principle.
>>> 		(Ken Arnold)
>>
>>My response:
>>
>>1)  There ARE orthopractic Jews today who are anti-Zionist.
>>    It is my deeply-held belief that they are indeed anti-semitic.
>
>Deeply hold this view all you like.  How many Jews would agree?  I find
>this a hard view to credit.  I would admit that there are people of
>groups (in this case Jews) who adopt the anti-<group> (in this case
>anti-semitic) views of a surrounding society, but these people
>generally try and blend into the outside society.  Surely there are
>anti-semitic racial Jews (i.e., from Jewish background), but I find it
>hard to understand how devout, practicing, and serious Jews can be
>considered anit-semitic.

Many Jews of European background practice a warped form of Judaism and
have warped ideas because of their form of Judaism and because of the
experience of European Jews among Europeans.  Only Sefardic Judaism
can be considered normative.  While most Sefardic hakamim (sages) despise
European Zionism, none are against the existence of Israel and almost
all consider Israel 'athilta' dege'ulta' (the beginning of redemption).
While badly phrased, Abeles statement is not essentially wrong.

>>2)  There is a difference between legitimate disagreement with
>>    the policies of the State of Israel, and anti-Zionism.
>
>You said Anti-Israel == Anti-Zionist.  You seem to be refuting that
>here.  Kahane, as I understand it, believes that the current state of
>Israel is not the Zionist state because it allows Arab citizenship.  He
>is certainly against the state of Israel as it stands, but is also,
>certainly, a Zionist.  He is also, certainly, a facist pig as far as
>I'm concerned, but this is beside the point.

I despise Kahane for the way he cloaks his personal viewpoint in the
Torah.  The former foremost in Zion Ovadia Yosef has taken the traditional
Sefardic viewpoint that land may be conceded to the Muslims for the
sake of preserving life.  Also non-Jews are not forbidden to live in Israel.

>If you define "Anti-Israel" as "Against the existence of *any* state of
>Israel", you are stating a tautology, and we are just having a
>confusion engendered by differeing definitions.  It seems to me
>that Israel *is* a republic in which citizens vote for a representative
>parliment, in which every (legal) resident is a citizen, in which
>freedoms often termed "Western" exist, etc.  These are fundamental to
>the State of Israel, so I presumed that by "anti-Israel" you meant
>"against the Israeli system".
>

>>    the destruction of the State of Israel, NOT its modification
>>    to your preferred form.  That is because it is the destruction
>>    of Israel which is being debated, and which is constantly
>>    called for by most Arab States.  When I, for example, say
>>    I don't like the French ... nobody assumes that I am calling
>>    for the destruction of France!  NOT SO where Israel is concerned.

>As I understand the Zionist movement, it started as a movement for an
>independent state for the Jews, whether or not in Palestine.
>Certainly, anyone who is anti-Zionist does not believe that a Jewish
>state should exist.  However, your terms are a bit loaded.  My
>anti-Zionist Jewish friends might prefer the term "dismantle", but
>mostly they just feel that they are under no obligation to support
>Israel, since (they feel) it should never have been founded in the
>first place.  One cannot unshatter the glass, but one is not required
>to applaud the mess created, they say.

I have no obligation to support France but I do not go around calling
for the dismantling of France.  If you oppose the idea of nations,better
to dismantle the Muslim nations first because all of them from Mauritania
to Idonesia commit attrocities which make apartheid look like liberal
democracy.

>Note that I am only objecting to the equating of being anti-Zionist
>with being anti-semitic, since I know Jews who are anti-Zionist, but
>not self-hateful.  I think you are unintentionally insulting them by
>dismissing such dissent as anti-semitic when it is clearly not.  It
>seems to be argument by name-calling, which is only a form of political
>proof, not a form of reasoned or humane proof.
>
>		Ken Arnold

tim@k.cs.cmu.edu (Tim Maroney) (11/29/85)

No one anywhere, regardless of their religion, has the right to set aside a
plot of ground and say "All those here must follow the rules of the religion
of the majority."  I am disgusted that Jews, who have been the chief victims
of theocracy in the past, would turn right around and create a theocracy of
their own; but not surprised, since each successive generation of humanity
starts learning all over again.

I am not opposed to the existence of a state which exists primarily to
assure that Jews have a safe place to live.  The need for such a state has
been adequately demonstrated by history.  Thus, I am pro-Israel.  However,
if the choice is between a theocratic Israel and no Israel at all, I would
prefer the latter.  Theocracy is never acceptable, and I make no special
allowance for Jews, Christians, Moslems, or eclectics (what I am) for that
matter.  To ask me to make such an allowance is to cast yourself as Jerry
Falwell in my eyes.  Thus, I am against Israel as it currently exists; and
from the emigration rate, I think it's safe to say that many Jews agree.
-=-
Tim Maroney, Electronic Village Idiot, CMU Center for Art and Technology
tim@k.cs.cmu.edu       | uucp: {seismo,decwrl,ucbvax,etc.}!k.cs.cmu.edu!tim
CompuServe: 74176,1360 | CMU. Tomorrow's networking nightmares -- today!

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (11/29/85)

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) writes:
>  J. Aboolowos is WRONG!! The existence of Israel is NOT of personal
>importance to the security of jews everywhere.

Mr. Aoueauoueariri (see, I can do it too) knows not whereof he speaks.
Jews the world over, including in Canada and the US, are safer
and stronger because of Israel. If you are not Jewish, it may
be hard to understand this.

>Throughout history, Jews existed, prospered and integrated in all
>nations and societies all over the world. Often, they provided the
>financial business strata of the societies where they lived.

Yes, but they were put down, kicked around and vilified.
Being Jewish was not usually something one was proud of.
In Toronto (and doubtless many other place in Canada and
the U.S.), there were parks and stores in the 1920s and 1930s
with "No dogs or Jews" signs. Jews were known as people who
didn't fight back. While we have always had strong family
and religious ties, there was always a feeling that we were
strangers, wanderers, people with no national identity and
no-one in particular to stand up for them.

Israel has changed all that. EVEN THOUGH we don't all move
there, we know it is there for us. If Canada were to turn
into an anti-Semitic dictatorship, I would have somewhere
to go. Israel also gives us something to be proud of. Its
accomplishments - in fields like science, medicine, arts,
agriculture, military technology - are absolutely amazing
given its size, small population and constant having to
fight for its very existence.

Israel's role in keeping safe the Jews of the world goes
far beyond just the symbolic. In 1979, when Khomeini came
to power in Iran, about 35,000 Jews got out while they could.
Israel took them in. This past year, Israel rescued something like
17,000 Ethiopian Jews from death by starvation. (This new influx
is putting even more pressure on Israel's strained finances,
but the task of rescuing Jews is the very foundation of Israel's
existence.

>Even today, more jews live outside Israel than inside. Most of them
>have no desire to emigrate to Israel. If you do not believe me,
>ask any american jewish.

"Jewish" is an adjective. As noted above, we don't need to
emigrate to Israel because things are good for us here. For now.

Dave Sherman
--
{  ihnp4!utzoo  pesnta  utcs  hcr  decvax!utcsri  }  !lsuc!dave

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (12/01/85)

> >>My response:
> >>
> >>1)  There ARE orthopractic Jews today who are anti-Zionist.
> >>    It is my deeply-held belief that they are indeed anti-semitic.

> Many Jews of European background practice a warped form of Judaism and
> have warped ideas because of their form of Judaism and because of the
> experience of European Jews among Europeans.  Only Sefardic Judaism
> can be considered normative.  While most Sefardic hakamim (sages) despise

This is basically true, many of the European Jews practice a form of apologetic
Judaism, alomost as if they are embarrased to be Jews. The leftover Jews from
Germany are the most honest in their form (i.e. mine) of Judaism.

> European Zionism, none are against the existence of Israel and almost
> all consider Israel 'athilta' dege'ulta' (the beginning of redemption).
> While badly phrased, Abeles statement is not essentially wrong.
>
> >>2)  There is a difference between legitimate disagreement with
> >>    the policies of the State of Israel, and anti-Zionism.
> >
> >You said Anti-Israel == Anti-Zionist.  You seem to be refuting that
> >here.  Kahane, as I understand it, believes that the current state of
> >Israel is not the Zionist state because it allows Arab citizenship.  He
> >is certainly against the state of Israel as it stands, but is also,
> >certainly, a Zionist.  He is also, certainly, a facist pig as far as
> >I'm concerned, but this is beside the point.
>
> I despise Kahane for the way he cloaks his personal viewpoint in the
> Torah.  The former foremost in Zion Ovadia Yosef has taken the traditional

Actually, many of Kahanes statements are in the spirit of the Torah and in
fact are the word of the Torah.

> Sefardic viewpoint that land may be conceded to the Muslims for the
> sake of preserving life.  Also non-Jews are not forbidden to live in Israel.
> yakim
mark

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (12/02/85)

Martillo:

> Many Jews of European background practice a warped form of Judaism and
> have warped ideas because of their form of Judaism and because of the
> experience of European Jews among Europeans.  Only Sefardic Judaism
> can be considered normative.

Martillo clearly despises the majority of Jews ("warped forms").
Thus I would say that he is 60% of an anti-semite.  Still, he is
0% Anti-Israel.

Characteristically, the defenders of Israel are divided into those
who deny any oppression of Palestinians and those who claim (like
Martillo) that it is perfectly moral and reasonable to oppress them.

While anyone reasonable must agree that Israel must supress any
terrorist tendencies on the occupied territories, there is a valid
question whether Israel could be more benevolent toward occupied
Arabs.  In particular, where is the authonomy, which was being
promised in Camp David?

The fact that say, Syria, is much worse opressor of her own people
is not the sufficient reason to laud Israel policies.  The obvious
fact is that it is very difficult to be nice in the Middle East.
But one should understand that anti-Israel feelings are frequently
(albeit not in majority) of political, not racial nature.

Piotr Berman

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (12/03/85)

> [Tim Maroney]
> No one anywhere, regardless of their religion, has the right to set aside a
> plot of ground and say "All those here must follow the rules of the religion
> of the majority."
------
I agree.  Of course, most countries that have done so are Islamic countries,
e. g. Iran, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Pakistan, Sudan (under Nimeri).
------
> I am disgusted that Jews, who have been the chief victims
> of theocracy in the past, would turn right around and create a theocracy of
> their own; but not surprised, since each successive generation of humanity
> starts learning all over again.
------
I am disgusted that Tim Maroney misrepresents the situation in Israel.
Israel is by no means a theocracy.  Unfortunately, due to the fact that
under Israel's system of proportional representation the Orthodox religious
parties often hold the balance of power, SOME religiously based laws exist.
However, Jewish religious law is NOT the law of Israel.  For example, the
sale and consumption of pork is not illegal.
Israel does not have legal separation of church and state, as does the U. S.
(Even in the U. S. many localities have Sunday closing laws).  However, the
absence of the legal wall does not make Israel a theocracy, any more than
the legal position of the Anglican Church in England makes England a
theocracy.  It is true that some Orthodox Jews (Kahane is an extreme
but not typical example) are doing their damndest to make Israel a
theocracy, but they haven't succeeded as yet.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

martillo@hector.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) (12/03/85)

In article <1911@psuvax1.UUCP> berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) writes:
>Martillo:
>
>> Many Jews of European background practice a warped form of Judaism and
>> have warped ideas because of their form of Judaism and because of the
>> experience of European Jews among Europeans.  Only Sefardic Judaism
>> can be considered normative.
>
>Martillo clearly despises the majority of Jews ("warped forms").
>Thus I would say that he is 60% of an anti-semite.  Still, he is
>0% Anti-Israel.

I merely have a low opinion of the course of development of the European
Jewish community though I will admit having little regard for ignorant
European Jews who drool sympathy for persecutors of oriental and Sefardic
Jews.

Given the history of Russian Jewish insensitivity to the needs and
feelings of Sefardic and oriental Jews, I believe I know who the
anti-semite is.  Unlike Ashkenazim, Sefardim are proud and have no
tradition of self-hatred or groveling to please Western intellectuals.

>Characteristically, the defenders of Israel are divided into those
>who deny any oppression of Palestinians and those who claim (like
>Martillo) that it is perfectly moral and reasonable to oppress them.

Well, I did not say oppress but rather suppress and I would not call
suppression ethically uplifting for the suppressors but until Muslims
show some evidence of being able to live on terms of equality and
mutual respect with non-Muslims, nobody with even half a brain should
deny to Israel the right to take necessary preventative measures.
Personally I  feel Israel does not suppress Muslims enough especially
given the examples of suppression of the Muslim brotherhoods by Egypt
and Syria.  Convicted terrorists should be executed.

Generally, Jewish thought has considered overleniency to be as big a
crime at least as overseverity.

>While anyone reasonable must agree that Israel must supress any
>terrorist tendencies on the occupied territories, there is a valid
>question whether Israel could be more benevolent toward occupied
>Arabs.  In particular, where is the authonomy, which was being
>promised in Camp David?

Well, Palestinians were always free to send representatives to the
talks but never did.  Since I consider the existence of countries like
Egypt a grave injustice, I am not particularly broken up that
Palestinian Muslims have gained little in the way of autonomy.

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (12/06/85)

You can see from the level of quotes that this discussion has gone on
for too long.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (12/06/85)

yakim:

MARK RINDSBERG writes:
>Actually, many of Kahanes statements are in the spirit of the Torah and in
>fact are the word of the Torah.

Please explain.  I know the Torah implies that Eretz Israel should not
tolerate idolators, and that idolators should be expelled from the land,
but the Moslem faith is NOT idolotrous.  It is my impression that the
Koran enforces the seven Noachide laws that are sufficient for gentiles
dwelling among the Israelites, as well as some additional Jewish laws.

	Frank Silbermann

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (12/09/85)

> yakim:
> >> I despise Kahane for the way he cloaks his personal viewpoint in the
> >> Torah.  The former foremost in Zion Ovadia Yosef has taken the traditional
> >> Sefardic viewpoint that land may be conceded to the Muslims for the
> >> sake of preserving life.  Also non-Jews are not forbidden to live in Israel.
>
> MARK RINDSBERG writes:
> >Actually, many of Kahanes statements are in the spirit of the Torah and in
> >fact are the word of the Torah.
>
> Please explain.  I know the Torah implies that Eretz Israel should not
> tolerate idolators, and that idolators should be expelled from the land,
> but the Moslem faith is NOT idolotrous.  It is my impression that the
> Koran enforces the seven Noachide laws that are sufficient for gentiles

I will do some research (when I have time and access) on the requirements
according to the Torah for a non-Jew to live in Israel. I seem to remember
that the people living in the land must also (in addition to the 7 N laws)
accept the status of being a "Ger Toshav" ? Corrections ?
> dwelling among the Israelites, as well as some additional Jewish laws.
> 	Frank Silbermann
mark