[net.religion.jewish] Interesting Chain Letter

dsc@mtgzz.UUCP (d.s.chechik) (12/11/85)

A few weeks ago i received the following chain letter, although
i agree with the sentiment contained therein, i really can't imagine
where it originated or who sent it to me.

				Dovid Chechik
				AT&T Information Systems Labs
				Middletown, NJ
				(201)957-5677

Dear Fellow Jew,
Greetings and abundant blessings to you and your loved ones:

	Astonishing things are happening in the world, which motivate intelli-
gent and thoughtful people to look for meaning, purpose - and hopefully real
goals - in their lives.
	At the same time we witness a reawakening of the age-old hopes of our
people for the ultimate ingathering, and redemption and rebuilding of the
Holy Temple.

	Jewish tradition and erudition have always provided us with meaning-
ful, thought-provoking lessons and teachings,  which can also help illuminate
this matter and I would therefore like to draw your attention to the writings
of several calassic Jewish scholars:

1. In the Midrash on Ps. 17:
	A parable: A man once punished his son.... After the spanking the
   father said, "Go now and do the chore I gave you, but you rejected."
   Similarly, the thousands who fell in the wars of David, died only because
   they had not demanded of G-d to build the Holy Temple.
	Although the never had the Temple, nor was it destroyed in their era,
   yet, their neglect brought catastrophy upon them.  How much more so, must
   WE LAMENT its destruction and hope and pray for its rebuilding.  Therefore,
   the pios ones of old decreed, that WE SHOULD PRAY THREE TIMES a day:  "O'
   Merciful one ... return Your Shechinah to Zion and the order of Divine
   Service to Jerusalem...."

2. The 18th century codifier and philosopher, Rabbi Chaim Yosef Dovid Azulai,
in "Midbar Kedemos," speaks of the importance of HOPING and STRIVING for the
Redemption:

	Even if the Jewish People only have the merit of HOPING [for the
   redemption] ... they are worthy of being redeemed.  And if you should say,
   "There were times that we hoped and expected the redemption to come and we
   were disappointed!" "Hope in the L-rd .. and hope in the L-rd" (Tehillim
   27:14); although you have hoped ... if your supplications were not heard,
   you must still hpe, again and again....
	On the text of the Amidah: "Speedily cause the scion of David Your
   servant to flourish.... FOR we hope for Your salvation all day," you may
   ask: why is our HOPE a REASON for bringing the Moshiach?  If we are worthy,
   the redemption will come without OUR HOPES, and if we are not worthy, will
   OUR HOPING help?  But the explanation is: We must pray: "Please bring the
   scion of David ... and if you will say that we are truly not worthy,
   NEVERTHELESS bring the redemption, BECAUSE we HOPE for the salvation all
   day!"  If we have the merit of SINCERE LONGING and STRIVING, alone we
   become worthy of being redeemed.

3.   In his authoritative commentary on the Book of Samuel II, Rabbi David
Kimchi (12th century) cites the abovementioned Midrash.  On the last verse
(Samuel II 24:35) he writes:
	"G-d accepted the prayers of the people of the land..." Therefore
   Elders and Prophets instituted that in our daily prayers we should say
   "... return Your Shechinah and Kingdom to Zion and the Divine Service
   to Jerusalem," Amen, so may it be Your Will, Selah!

	Such inspiring, prayerful words, and yet you might never come across
   these vital passages,m many other Jews may likewise not be aware of these
   significant and crucial concepts.  Let us join hands and let our people know!
	Please make ten copies of this letter and send it to ten of you
friends or acquaintances -  ask them to do the same - it will cause a powerful
"chan reaction."
	May you be blessed with all manner of good, and may the Holy One
blessed be He hear our prayers and hasten our redemption, Amen. So may it be.

dsc@mtgzz.UUCP (d.s.chechik) (12/11/85)

Article 1555 of 1555, Wed 12:15.
Subject: interesting chain letter
From: dsc@mtgzz.UUCP (d.s.chechik)
Newsgroups: net.religion.jewish
Date: Wed, 11-Dec-85 12:15:32 EST

(Samuel II 24:35) he writes:
	"G-d accepted the prayers of the people of the land..." Therefore
   Elders and Prophets instituted that in our daily prayers we should say
   "... return Your Shechinah and Kingdom to Zion and the Divine Service
   to Jerusalem," Amen, so may it be Your Will, Selah!

	Such inspiring, prayerful words, and yet you might never come across
these vital passages, many other Jews may likewise not be aware of these
significant and crucial concepts.  Let us join hands and let our people know!
	Please make ten copies of this letter and send it to ten of you
friends or acquaintances -  ask them to do the same - it will cause a powerful
"chain reaction."

sieg@bocar.UUCP (B A Siegel) (12/12/85)

> A few weeks ago i received the following chain letter, although
> i agree with the sentiment contained therein, i really can't imagine
> where it originated or who sent it to me.

				Dovid Chechik

> Dear Fellow Jew,
> Greetings and abundant blessings to you and your loved ones:

>      Astonishing things are happening in the world, which motivate intelli-
> gent and thoughtful people to look for meaning, purpose - and hopefully real
> goals - in their lives.

I also received a copy of the chain letter.

After speaking to our local CHABAD (Libavitch) rabbi I found out this letter
is a project of CHABAD.  I think it is a great idea to get people thinking
about the "road" to Mashiach.

Please note the letter (at least part of it) was printed in Rabbi Buttmans (sp?)
(a Lubavitcher Rabbi) columnn in the Jewish Press that week (about 4-5 weeks
ago) thus hinting of its origin.

Please no flames about the Jewish Press.

Barry Siegel

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (12/13/85)

> I also received a copy of the chain letter.
> Please note the letter (at least part of it) was printed in Rabbi Buttmans
> (a Lubavitcher Rabbi) columnn in the Jewish Press that week (about 4-5 weeks
> ago) thus hinting of its origin.
> Please no flames about the Jewish Press.
Anyone who reads the Jewish Press has something to be ashamed of,
and this reader, at least, is aware of it.