[net.religion.jewish] A question on parsha Vayeshev

liss@gramps.DEC (Frederick R. Liss DTN 237-3649) (12/10/85)

    	Last weeks parsha, Vayeshev, besides telling about Yosef being
        betrayed by his brothers also digresses and tells the story of
        Yehuda, his sons, and Tamar. However, there is another short
        digression that puzzles me. I will ask the question as best I
        can without having my chumash in front of me.

    	Yosef left his father and went to find his brothers. On his
        way he was wondering aimlessly through a field when "he met a
        certain man". This man told Yosef that his brothers were not
        were they were expected to be. The man then said where they
        were and Yosef went straight to them.

    	I know that there is a great deal of symbolism in this parsha.
        Yosef was on a spiritual journey and became distracted. This
        "certain man" guided Yosef back to the correct path. He
        certainly must have been a wise man to influence Yosef since
        we know that Yosef was knowledgeable of spiritual matters
        while his brothers were only interested in physical matters.
        My question is who is this man and what was it that Yosef was
        searching for?

			Thank you in advance,
					Fred
---
Frederick R. Liss        UUCP ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-gramps!liss
Digital Equipment Corp.	 ARPA	 liss%gramps.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
333 South St.    Shrewsbury MA, 01545	Mail Stop SHR1-4/D21

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (12/12/85)

>I will ask the question as best I
>can without having my chumash in front of me.

I'll try to answer as best as I can without my chumash in front of me.

>Yosef left his father and went to find his brothers. On his
>way he was wondering aimlessly through a field when "he met a
>certain man". This man told Yosef that his brothers were not
>were they were expected to be. The man then said where they
>were and Yosef went straight to them.
>
>My question is who is this man and what was it that Yosef was
>searching for?
> Frederick R. Liss        UUCP ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-gramps!liss

The commentary says that "a certain man" or this man was an "angel" I forget
if he was Michael or Gabriel.  The reason that the man was an angel is
because he knew Joseph was looking for his brothers without Joseph having
to ask.  The exact identity of the angel is taken from a similar phrase
"a certain man" elsewhere in the TANACH where the angel is identified.

As to the second part of your question, Joseph had to fulfill the part of
the prophecy that Israel would be enslaved for 400 years.  Joseph kind of
new where he was eventually going and what his "mission" was.   Some say
that Joseph's brothers weren't doing things all that pleasant and that is
why they weren't where they were supposed to be!  So, I don't think that
Joseph was really searching for anything other than the location of his
brothers.  Please note that I recently read the ArtScroll commentary to
the above and there are various interpretations to your question, I am
writing the one I remember best.

am@vilya.UUCP (MALEK) (12/13/85)

In article <380@mhuxi.UUCP>, dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) writes:
> The commentary says that "a certain man" or this man was an "angel" I forget
> if he was Michael or Gabriel.  The reason that the man was an angel is
> because he knew Joseph was looking for his brothers without Joseph having
> to ask.  The exact identity of the angel is taken from a similar phrase
> "a certain man" elsewhere in the TANACH where the angel is identified.
Rashi quotes Tanchuma that the man was Gavriel, based on the pasuk in
Daniel "Ve-ha-is Gavriel". This is not clear from the Chumash, since nothing
supernatural occurs here. However, any pshat should explain why the word
"ish" occurs so many times, so there is some reason for Rashi's pshat.
Ibn Ezra says that the man was a regular person, following his regular practice
of interpreting psukim literally whenever the literal interpretation makes
some sort of sense. This does not negate the fact that the "man" was sent
by Hashem.
For a more complete analysis, Mr. Green has suggested that one refer to
the Torah Shlema or the Art Scroll.
--
Avi Malek @ATT Bell Labs Parsippany, NJ