[net.religion.jewish] the location of the Temple Mount

klahr@csd2.UUCP (12/23/85)

The Book of Ezekial (Sefer Yecheskel), one of the books of the "Prophets"
portion of the Bible, contains a long section discussing how the future
Third Temple will be built and conducted.  In it, the prophet specifically
says that the Third Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two,
but rather at a significant distance from it(close to, but outside Jerusalem,
I think).  Does anyone know whether or not this has generally been accepted
at face value, whether or not it has had any halachic implications on the status
of the old Temple site, or why it is ignored by the "zealots" who publicly
proclaim their imminent preparation to rebuild the Temple at its former site?

harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (12/25/85)

> The Book of Ezekial (Sefer Yecheskel), one of the books of the "Prophets"
> portion of the Bible, contains a long section discussing how the future
> Third Temple will be built and conducted.  In it, the prophet specifically
> says that the Third Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two,
> but rather at a significant distance from it(close to, but outside Jerusalem,
> I think).  Does anyone know whether or not this has generally been accepted
> at face value, whether or not it has had any halachic implications on the status
> of the old Temple site, or why it is ignored by the "zealots" who publicly
> proclaim their imminent preparation to rebuild the Temple at its former site?

	I'm a Christian, not a Jew, but I would propose building
some day the Third Temple in stationary orbit above Jerusalem --
to be a visible star of the civilization of peace on Earth, a sign
of hope for all those who see it.
					David Harwood

candide@ihlpg.UUCP (candide) (12/26/85)

> > [original posting -- what is the latitude and longitude of the
> >  Temple Mount (and altitude, too, if you know it)? ]
>
> The Book of Ezekial (Sefer Yecheskel), one of the books of the "Prophets"
> portion of the Bible, contains a long section discussing how the future
> Third Temple will be built and conducted.  In it, the prophet specifically
> says that the Third Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two,
> but rather at a significant distance from it(close to, but outside Jerusalem,
> I think).  Does anyone know whether or not this has generally been accepted
> at face value, whether or not it has had any halachic implications on the
> status of the old Temple site, or why it is ignored by the "zealots" who
> publicly proclaim their imminent preparation to rebuild the Temple at its
> former site?

This is fascinating.  Let me then expand my question.  What are the latitudes
and longitudes of both locations?  Toward which site should we face when we pray?
Again, please give the altitudes also if you know them; however, they are not so
relevant as the latitude and longitude, because they do not determine which
direction we should face when we pray.

ayf@erc3ba.UUCP (A.Y.Feldblum) (12/30/85)

> The Book of Ezekial (Sefer Yecheskel), one of the books of the "Prophets"
> portion of the Bible, contains a long section discussing how the future
> Third Temple will be built and conducted.  In it, the prophet specifically
> says that the Third Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two,
> but rather at a significant distance from it(close to, but outside Jerusalem,
> I think).  Does anyone know whether or not this has generally been accepted
> at face value, whether or not it has had any halachic implications on the
> status of the old Temple site, or why it is ignored by the "zealots" who
> publicly proclaim their imminent preparation to rebuild the Temple at its
> former site?

There are several differences between what is described in the Torah
concerning the first two Temples and the laws concerning the Temple and
concerning the Priests, and what is found in Ezekial's prophecies. My
understanding is that these differences are not accepted as having
halachic validity. There is also very strong Medrashic support that the
Third Temple will not be built by human hands, but in a miraculas way by
G-d (it is supposed to last forever, and only something of divine origin
can last forever), so much of the discussion may be moot. We just have
to wait, hope and see.

Avi Feldblum
AT&T
uucp: {ihnp4, allegra)!pruxc!ayf

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (12/31/85)

> [David Harwood]
> 	I'm a Christian, not a Jew, but I would propose building
> some day the Third Temple in stationary orbit above Jerusalem --
> to be a visible star of the civilization of peace on Earth, a sign
> of hope for all those who see it.
-------
Sorry, David, but geostationary orbit is only possible above locations
on the Equator, at least according to the currently accepted laws
of physics.  If you could build such a temple above Jerusalem, you
might even make a believer out of me!
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

teitz@aecom.UUCP (Eliyahu Teitz) (12/31/85)

> > > [original posting -- what is the latitude and longitude of the
> > >  Temple Mount (and altitude, too, if you know it)? ]
> >
> > The Book of Ezekial (Sefer Yecheskel), one of the books of the "Prophets"
> > portion of the Bible, contains a long section discussing how the future
> > Third Temple will be built and conducted.  In it, the prophet specifically
> > says that the Third Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two,
> > but rather at a significant distance from it(close to, but outside Jerusalem,
> > I think).  Does anyone know whether or not this has generally been accepted
> > at face value, whether or not it has had any halachic implications on the
> > status of the old Temple site, or why it is ignored by the "zealots" who
> > publicly proclaim their imminent preparation to rebuild the Temple at its
> > former site?
>
> This is fascinating.  Let me then expand my question.  What are the latitudes
> and longitudes of both locations?  Toward which site should we face when we pray?

	I'm not sure whether we have to know the exact latitude and longitude
 of the Temple in orde to know which direction to face when praying. We face
 the direction of Israel when we pray. Those in Israel face Jerusalem, tose
  in Jerusalem the Temple, those in the Temple the Holy of Holies, and the
 High Priest, when he enters the Holy of Holies ( where the Ark of the
 Covenant was located ) on Yom Kippur, faces the Ark. The Talmud ( as usual
 I am afraid I don't have the exact source at hand ) when discussing prayer
 says that if one wants riches he should face slightly northward, and one
 who wants wisdom should face slightly southward ( it might be backwards
 I'm not sure ). So facing the exact spot isn't absolutely necessary. It
 would also be slightly impractical because you would have to check your
 position every time you pray unless you always pray from the exact same
 spot.

				Eliyahu Teitz.

 p.s. The question, though, of the exact location is still an interesting one.
 As I posted earlier, the exact location is unknown.

harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (01/02/86)

Response to a reply
Newsgroups: net.religion.jewish
Subject: Re: the location of the Temple Mount

> The Book of Ezekial (Sefer Yecheskel), one of the books of the "Prophets"
> portion of the Bible, contains a long section discussing how the future
> Third Temple will be built and conducted.  In it, the prophet specifically
> says that the Third Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two,
> but rather at a significant distance from it(close to, but outside Jerusalem,
> I think).  Does anyone know whether or not this has generally been accepted
> at face value, whether or not it has had any halachic implications on the
> status of the old Temple site, or why it is ignored by the "zealots" who
> publicly proclaim their imminent preparation to rebuild the Temple at its
> former site?

There are several differences between what is described in the Torah
concerning the first two Temples and the laws concerning the Temple and
concerning the Priests, and what is found in Ezekial's prophecies. My
understanding is that these differences are not accepted as having
halachic validity. There is also very strong Medrashic support that the
Third Temple will not be built by human hands, but in a miraculas way by
G-d (it is supposed to last forever, and only something of divine origin
can last forever), so much of the discussion may be moot. We just have
to wait, hope and see.

Avi Feldblum

	I proposed building the Ezekiel Temple in stationary orbit
above Jerusalem. But since I am a Christian, given the comments
by Avi Feldblum, I would like to repeat what I told my Orthodox
friend Ari Gross, who sometimes posts to the Net. (I understand
that the original inquiry was by his cousin.)
	What I had in mind, of course, anticipates the time when
Israel receives the Messiah, when the Shalom of God is sincerely
received, when mankind would want Jerusalem to be capital in a
civilization of peace. Then it is possible to rebuild an earthly
Temple there which would be everlasting, when we are reconciled
to one another and to God. The apostle Paul says this is the
purpose of Christ.
	To clarify matters, I don't foresee building the Temple
'speedily in our time', before the end of this era, so there may
be no point in prematurely speculating, as I have, about the
'location of the Temple', or of its 'steeple' (something like
'the Star of Bethlehem', I suppose). Conversely, to prematurely
advance rebuilding the Temple before the Coming of the Messiah to
Israel would be offensive and self-destructive.
	However, my suggestion about the 'steeple' of the Temple
was partly motivated by the 'visual' metaphors of the prophets
about the location of Zion: Besides the Song of Ascent "I lift
mine eyes to the heavens, from whence does my help come...,"
Isaiah and Micah say that Zion "will be raised above the mountains,"
and Ezekiel beheld the city "from a very high mountain", as
before he beheld the Chariot of angels of 'the celestial orbits'.
Furthermore, in the final book of the NT, referring explicitly
to the same vision of Ezekiel's Jerusalem, says John foresaw
New Jerusalem 'coming down out of heaven from God.' Moreover,
there were 'the trees of life on either side of the river running
through the midst of the city, the river arising from the throne
of God'. This visual metaphor may refer to the Milky Way, as if
the there were indeed a kind of celestial Jerusalem, alternatively
a kind of celestial Christmas tree with many worlds and stars
as ornaments. (Please excuse the rhapsody. The Milky Way is
suggested to be the original celestial figure.)
	Returning to earth, and our present reply to Avi Feldblum
concerning the supernatural, eternal status of the new Temple,
I will observe, as I did before with my Orthodox friend, that
this 'Heavenly Jerusalem' is said to have no earthly temple,
because God with Christ is the new Temple.
	This is a somewhat obscure spiritual concept perhaps
among Jews, as well as among Christians. I will try to explain this
by mentioning a few other similar passages from different NT texts.
First, it is said that Jesus foresaw the destruction of the Second
Temple, also anticipated his own destruction, saying that the true
Temple, the Body of Christ, would be resurrected thereafter on the
third day. This is somewhat similar to the idea that the spirit
of the Messiah followed upon the destruction of the Temple, also to
Jesus' saying that unless he must die so that the spirit of truth
should come into the world.
	Similarly, Paul, perhaps the greatest of the apostles in
theology, 'sent' to the Gentiles by 'a great flash of light from
Heaven', identified all those who were similarly 'baptised in
Christ' with the Risen Body of Christ, which transcends the
generations.
	Finally, the Letter to the Hebrews, identifies Christ with
the Heavenly High Priest of mysterious descent, like Melchizedek,
who has entered the Heavenly Temple, to offer his sacrifice for
our sins. As we know it is the High Priest who enters the Holy
of Holies, that of our innermost hearts, to invoke there the Very
Name of the Lord, which God alone can pronounce, which is verily
like the Lightning, as Paul was found out. Therefore, the High
Priest is said to pronounce the blessing, like that of Aaron,
upon His people Israel.
	So we certainly know that the Very Name has become the
revelation of Christ in eternity of generations. For this reason,
Jesus said, referring to Jacob's ladder between heaven and the
earth, above Bethel, the abode of God: "Truly, I tell you -- you
shall see Heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and
descending over the Son of Man." As if the 'ladder' were like
the staff of lightning on the dark horizon of human racial
consciousness, between the clouds of heaven and the earth below --
so is Christ eternally identified with his Living Presence on
earth.
	To this extent, there is agreement with the remarks
of Avi Feldblum. I hope my remarks have been informative about
the Christian theology, and are not offensive. (These personal
views are not generally representative of common Christian
opinions, nevertheless I believe they should be intelligible to
Jews.) Again I apologize for interrupting your newsgroup with
this 'news-flash'. And promise not to again.

					David Harwood

candide@ihlpg.UUCP (candide) (01/02/86)

> > > [ followup -- the prophet {Ezekiel} specifically says that the Third
> > > Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two, but rather
> > > at a significant distance from it (close to, but outside Jerusalem). ]
> >
> > This is fascinating.  Let me then expand my question.  What are the latitudes
> > and longitudes of both locations?  Toward which site should we face when we pray?
>

> 	I'm not sure whether we have to know the exact latitude and longitude
>  of the Temple in orde to know which direction to face when praying. We face
>  the direction of Israel when we pray. Those in Israel face Jerusalem, tose
>   in Jerusalem the Temple, those in the Temple the Holy of Holies, and the
>  High Priest, when he enters the Holy of Holies ( where the Ark of the
>  Covenant was located ) on Yom Kippur, faces the Ark. The Talmud ( as usual
>  I am afraid I don't have the exact source at hand ) when discussing prayer
>  says that if one wants riches he should face slightly northward, and one
>  who wants wisdom should face slightly southward ( it might be backwards
>  I'm not sure ). So facing the exact spot isn't absolutely necessary. It
>  would also be slightly impractical because you would have to check your
>  position every time you pray unless you always pray from the exact same
>  spot.
>

> 				Eliyahu Teitz.
>
>  p.s. The question, though, of the exact location is still an interesting one.
>  As I posted earlier, the exact location is unknown.

Although the exact location is unknown, surely this does not affect the original
question.  No latitude and longitude can be given exactly.  Let it be accurate
to the nearest second.  If it cannot be accurate to the nearest second, then
let it be accurate to the nearest minute.  If it cannot be accurate to the
nearest minute, then let it be accurate to the nearest degree.  To say that
the exact location is unknown does not address the question -- every location
is unknown beyond a certain measure of accuracy.

Perhaps it is slightly impractical to check your position every time you
pray, but this information is certainly relevant to the initial construction
of a synagog.  Synagogs within Israel, in particular, can be designed facing
the right direction, not just `east' or `west'.  In fact, a congregation
could decide in advance whether they prefer wealth or wisdom, and construct
their synagog accordingly.  An interesting question, however, arises: How
do you indicate a request for wealth or for wisdom if you are on the same
line of longitude as the Ark of the Covenant?

harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (01/02/86)

> > [David Harwood]
> > 	I'm a Christian, not a Jew, but I would propose building
> > some day the Third Temple in stationary orbit above Jerusalem --
> > to be a visible star of the civilization of peace on Earth, a sign
> > of hope for all those who see it.
> -------
> Sorry, David, but geostationary orbit is only possible above locations
> on the Equator, at least according to the currently accepted laws
> of physics.  If you could build such a temple above Jerusalem, you
> might even make a believer out of me!
> --
> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

	Obviously I can't 'locate' the Temple 'steeple' if I
can't first 'locate' the city :-)
	Of course, the NT account of Ezekiel's vision of the New
Jerusalem 'locates' the City in heaven, so let's lift up the New
City of Peace as well.
	 (And throw down the Orbital Battle Stations of the
'Superpowers' of this world, who would indefinitely secure an
incredible and unjust 'peace' with probable horror, with threats
of horrifying retaliation against the innocent, while exploiting
the misery of the poor, poisoning our only an common planet,
profiting by mercenary violence all over the world -- religiously
appealing to the 'necessary evil' of an abomination whose ungodly
light would leave our planet desolate.)
	I already wrote that the NT account is of a supernatural
Temple, although I would foresee the orbiting Jerusalem as well.
Anyway, Bill, thanks for the physics lesson.
					David Harwood

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (01/03/86)

>>> This is fascinating. Let me then expand my question.What are the latitudes
>>> and longitudes of both locations?

>>p.s. The question, though, of the exact location is still an interesting one.
>> As I posted earlier, the exact location is unknown.

>Although the exact location is unknown surely this does not affect the original
>question.  No latitude and longitude can be given exactly.  Let it be accurate
>to the nearest second.

> An interesting question, however, arises: How
> do you indicate a request for wealth or for wisdom if you are on the same
> line of longitude as the Ark of the Covenant?

This is one of the most interesting series of follow-ups I've ever seen.
Let me rephrase the question:

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE IN NET LAND KNOW THE LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE,
WITHIN A REASONABLE DEGREE OF TOLERENCE, OF THE TEMPLE?

harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (01/03/86)

> This is one of the most interesting series of follow-ups I've ever seen.
> Let me rephrase the question:
>
> DOES ANYONE OUT THERE IN NET LAND KNOW THE LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE,
> WITHIN A REASONABLE DEGREE OF TOLERENCE, OF THE TEMPLE?

	Sorry, if the true Temple is supernatural, then it's hard
to 'locate'. But my Jerusalem Bible locates the previous Temples
at ~750 meters altitude on the eastern border of the present old
Jerusalem, with the Temple proper about 300 meters facing east,
with the Innermost 200 meters within. The apparent latitude is
~31*48', longitude ~35*14' by inspection of the map, with error
of perhaps 3km. Sorry I don't have a detailed map.
	By the way, I cited the Song of Ascent, "I lift up my
eyes to the heavens (mountains)...", replying before about building
an orbiting city of peace, which would be visible everywhere as
a sign of hope. Actually, I confused the reference of the different
Psalms of Ascent to Mount Zion and heaven, because I once wrote one
for an as yet unfinished science fiction in which the orbiting city
was inscribed with: We lift up our eyes to the heavens, above the
hills of Jerusalem, to the shores of Galilee -- May the Lord be with
you, as you leave and return, by the Way of the Sea.
	So my interest in the 'location' of the 'heavenly' Jerusalem:
In the story, I likened the starry heavens to the Sea of Galilee, where
Christ has come, because of the obscure last words of Jesus, those of
the angel of resurrection: When I am raised up, I shall go before you
into Galilee. Which to my mind refer both to Jesus saying: In my Father's
house are many dwelling places... I go (before you) to prepare a place
for you. Both these were made celestial metaphors for the similarly
obscure promise of Exodus: I shall send my angel before you (into the
promised land)...My Name is in him. So the 'angel' of Christ appears
at the 'heavenly' City of Jerusalem, which I called (the star) of
New Bethlehem.
	Otherwise, I recall talking to Quaker Harlan Smith a few years
ago at Christmas. He is a Professor of Astronomy at U.Texas with an
interest in the L5 Society -- we discussed why did not the nations
build a truly international city in space, for peaceful purposes, to be
a visible sign of hope and reconciliation for all, especially for new
generations of children everywhere.
					David Harwood

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (01/05/86)

In article <386@mhuxi.UUCP>, dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) writes:
> DOES ANYONE OUT THERE IN NET LAND KNOW THE LATITUDE AND LONGITUDE,
> WITHIN A REASONABLE DEGREE OF TOLERENCE, OF THE TEMPLE?

eur.il (from mod.map) lists three sites in Jerusalem, each has
#L 31.46N 35.14E.  I hope that's accurate enough for all you shul
architects.  Please point the shul directy at Jerusalem and let the
congregants decide if they want to be rich or wise for themseleves.
I don't know the elevation and won't go to your shul if you tilt the
floors!

Now we need the formula to compute the direction you should face given
your own lat/long.
--

The Maxwell R. Mayhem Institute for Quandary Requiem and Maternal Sciamachy
Accept no substitutes.

nachum@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/06/86)

/* Written  8:52 am  Dec 23, 1985 by klahr@csd2.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.religion.jewish */

The Book of Ezekial (Sefer Yecheskel), one of the books of the "Prophets"
portion of the Bible, contains a long section discussing how the future
Third Temple will be built and conducted.  In it, the prophet specifically
says that the Third Temple will NOT be built at the site of the previous two,
but rather at a significant distance from it(close to, but outside Jerusalem,
I think)....

/* End of text from uiucdcs:net.religion.jewish */

Where in Ezekiel is the location specified?

wkp@lanl.ARPA (01/07/86)

Anyone who believes that he can face the Temple Mount by living
in New Jersey ought to try praying for common sense.

Actually, our friends the Muslims worried about this in the tenth
century quite a bit since they need to face Mecca five times a
day.  From their exhaustive calculations (which they themselves
knew to be somewhat bogus) they invented many elements of planar
and spherical trigonometry, and provided many important astronomical
observations.

The problem was this:  from every point on the earth one can measure
one's latitude and longitude from the stars (e.g., the North Star
is within one minute of true north).  Knowing the latitude and
longitude of the Temple Mount (or, in the Muslim case--l'havdil--the qibla)
within some degree of tolerance, one can construct a great circle from
one's own position which may (if everything is perfect) PASS THROUGH
the Temple Mount, but one's own line of sight is directed out into space,
and not toward any place on earth.

So, even if the earth were a perfect sphere, the concept of "facing"
another point on the sphere is somewhat meaningless.  But even defining
"facing" to be "aligning one's line of sight along the great circle
joining the two points" is unacceptable, since the earth is more
correctly an oblate spheriod, and the definition of a "great circle"
becomes ambiguous.

In short, I believe that only Jews living in Eretz Yisrael, or at least
in Jerusalem, can truly "face" the Temple Mount.  Exiled Jews will always
end up staring out into space.
--

bill peter                                     ihnp4!lanl!wkp

nachum@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/07/86)

Of course, it's the direction of the great circle route that needs
to be computed.  From San Francisco, for example, that's only about
ten degrees East of due North.

/* Written  5:25 pm  Jan  4, 1986 by warren@pluto.UUCP in uiucdcs:net.religion.jewish */

arig@cvl.UUCP (Ari Gross) (01/08/86)

> Anyone who believes that he can face the Temple Mount by living
> in New Jersey ought to try praying for common sense.
>
> So, even if the earth were a perfect sphere, the concept of "facing"
> another point on the sphere is somewhat meaningless.  But even defining
> "facing" to be "aligning one's line of sight along the great circle
> joining the two points" is unacceptable, since the earth is more
> correctly an oblate spheriod, and the definition of a "great circle"
> becomes ambiguous.
>
> In short, I believe that only Jews living in Eretz Yisrael, or at least
> in Jerusalem, can truly "face" the Temple Mount.  Exiled Jews will always
> end up staring out into space.
> --
>
> bill peter                                     ihnp4!lanl!wkp

   If the logic of your argument is carried to its logical
conclusion, most of Jerusalem is not level with the Temple
Mount and one davening there would thus not be considered facing the
Temple Mount. I think the concept of facing the Har Ha'bayit
should not be constrained to such a narrow ,literal definition.
Maybe its more symbolic in nature -- to show that we yearn for
Jerusalem -- "im esh'ka'chech yerushalayim tish'kach yi'mi'ni" etc.
If so, Jews in Galut need to 'face' Jerusalem at least as much as
their brothers already living in the Holy Land.

ari gross