[net.religion.jewish] rhetorical question

dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) (01/08/86)

[]

The last few postings about the location of the Temple Mount reminds me
of two things:

1. Old Joke -
  	 Question: Why do Jews always answer a question with a question?
         Answer: We do?

2. Quote from Joseph Heller's book "God Knows" ( the REAL story of David the
   King) -
	"The Jews invented the rhetorical question when God asked 'Where is
	 Abel? and Cain replied 'Am I my brothers keeper?'"

harwood@cvl.UUCP (David Harwood) (01/10/86)

In article <388@mhuxi.UUCP> dsg@mhuxi.UUCP (David S. Green) writes:
>[]
>
>The last few postings about the location of the Temple Mount reminds me
>of two things:
>
>1. Old Joke -
>  	 Question: Why do Jews always answer a question with a question?
>         Answer: We do?
>
>2. Quote from Joseph Heller's book "God Knows" ( the REAL story of David the
>   King) -
>	"The Jews invented the rhetorical question when God asked 'Where is
>	 Abel? and Cain replied 'Am I my brothers keeper?'"

	Every question by God is 'rhetorical', and the first is
the most important: "...they hid from **** God among the trees of
the garden, but **** God called to the man, 'Where are you?'..."
	Actually, ~Cain~ seeks to hide from God, answering a question
with a question. (Of course, Cain is not a Jew, and Moses overheard
this conversation from behind a tree :-)
	So what ~does~ Heller know? Not even "God knows".

					David Harwood