[net.religion.jewish] Shir Hamalot by benching

sieg@bocar.UUCP (B A Siegel) (01/22/86)

On a day when Tachnun is not said the custom is to say Shir Hamalot
(Psalm 126) before benching.

What is the origin of saying this before benching?
Why do some also say Thilat Hashem Yidaber.. after this psalm ?
Most bencher booklets do not have these extra verses.

Do sefardim also say psalm 126?
Do sefardim also add Thilat Hashem Yidaber...?

---------
On a day when Tachnun is said there is a custom to say Al Niharos Babel
(Psalm 137) before benching.

The same origin & sefardim questions apply.
Whats more I never see people say this before benching even though it says
to say it in the siddur!   Why..?

Barry Siegel

meth@csd2.UUCP (Asher Meth) (01/29/86)

Barry A Siegel writes :
>What is the origin of saying this (Shir Hama'alot, Psalm 126) before benching?
>On a day when Tachnun is said there is a custom to say Al Niharos Babel
>(Psalm 137) before benching.
The origin of reciting these passages before the benching (grace after meals),
as quoted in the sefer "Otzar Dinnim Uminhagim" (Jewish Laws and Customs, by
J. D. Eisenstein) is a Zohar, Parshas Terumah, which says (translation is my
own) :

When one is satiated & has pleasure from eating, he must remember, remind
himself of, and feel sorrow over the holiness of the land of Israel & the
palace of the king (G-d) that was destroyed. Therefore, before reciting the
benching, we recite the passage that begins "Al Naharos Bavel" (on the waters
of Babylonia, the exile - Psalm 137) which talks about remembering Jerusalem.
This Psalm includes the famous line (137:5) - If I forget thee, Oh Jerusalem,
let me forget my right hand .....
On the Sabbath & on holidays, it is forbidden to dwell on (or express) sorrow,
for it dilutes from the "Oneg"/pleasure of the Sabbath. Therefore, we say the
passage that begins "Shir Hama-alos beshuv HaShem es shivas tzion..." (Psalm
126).
-------

>Do sefardim also say psalm 126?

Be it known that not all people say *these* passages at these prescribed times.
Some, including some sfaradim (and even others, chassidim, where my father's
family comes from), say Psalm 67 "Lamnatzeiach bin-ginos mizmor shir", *all* the
time (except on some special occasions).
-------

Barry also asked - why don't people say these passages ? After all, they are
printed in the siddurim, and it is brought down to say them?

Well, there are many things that people should do and they don't, and there are
many things that people should not do and they do. If this were the *only* thing
that people didn't say when they should, I think that we would be much better
off, spiritually. I don't know whether the reciting of these passages is
"me-akev" (i.e., if you don't say them, then you have not properly fulfilled
the benching); I doubt it.
-------

May we all merit to see the rebuilding of Yerushalayim & the coming of the
Mashiach, bimheirah beyameinu, speedily, in our times.

Asher Meth ....... meth@nyu-csd2.arpa ....... allegra!cmcl2!csd2!meth

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (01/30/86)

The title of the original article is improper English.

Whoever wrote it probably was educated in a Yeshiva.  In
Yiddish, there is a German-originated word "bei", but many
Yeshiva-educated people appear not to realize that it is
not the same word as the English word "by."  I would urge
people to make sure they are speaking and writing English
properly to avoid further embarrassment.