[net.religion.jewish] Barry Kort's Intellectual Observations - Some Further Thoughts

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (03/17/86)

In article <691@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>Based on my observations of the postings and responses on the
>net, I have begun to form a hypothesis as to the cause and
>effect of persecution...
>
>1.  Intellectuals are at risk in our society.  By exhibiting their
>    powers of intellect, they expose themselves to ostracism and
>    alienation.

Intellectuals are at risk in almost any society, because they threaten
the control that the power-that-be exert on those who don't think
things out for themselves.

>2.  The degree to which a particular intellectually-minded individual
>    is subjected to such treatment is highly correlated with the
>    degree of civility and diplomacy with which he presents his
>    lines of reasoning.

I think the highest correlation is between persecution of intellectuals
and the bluntness or presuasiveness with which they present their
beliefs. Bluntness is often misconstrued as "rudeness" or "abusiveness"
and persuasiveness is simply most often met with vehement opposition
because, face it, nobody really *likes* to change beliefs. It is easier
to simply put down the advocate of an opposing position as being "rude"
or, if the opponent is extremely polite but persuasive, "dangerous to
listen to."

Both attitudes, of course, lead inevitably to persecution if left
unchecked. One solution, I believe, is a public forum (like the net)
where people interact with others of different beliefs and are thus
forced to the realisation that there are other beliefs just as logical
(or presumptive) as their own. The more we *talk* to each other, the
more we will respect each other. That, at least, is why *I'm* a net
junkie. I have learned a lot from people with opposite viewpoints; I
have even learned a few things from those awful characters on the net
that nobody else seems to want to talk to or listen to.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!dave)

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/19/86)

In article <854@cylixd.UUCP> dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) writes:

>In article <691@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
>>1.  Intellectuals are at risk in our society.  By exhibiting their
>>    powers of intellect, they expose themselves to ostracism and
>>    alienation.
>
>Intellectuals are at risk in almost any society, because they threaten
>the control that the power-that-be exert on those who don't think
>things out for themselves.

This can't be true.  In most of Europe and Japan intellectuals are held in
high regard.  In particular, the latest philosophical or literary rage is
considered a superstar on par with rock musicians in the United States.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (03/21/86)

In article <12485@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
> This can't be true.  In most of Europe and Japan intellectuals are held in
> high regard.  In particular, the latest philosophical or literary rage is
> considered a superstar on par with rock musicians in the United States.

Oh, you mean they are harassed and pilloried by conservatives and their works
are burned by fundamentalists.  :-(

The fact that one has groupies and other fans doesn't imply protection from
the rest of society.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/24/86)

In article <991@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>In article <12485@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>> This can't be true.  In most of Europe and Japan intellectuals are held in
>> high regard.  In particular, the latest philosophical or literary rage is
>> considered a superstar on par with rock musicians in the United States.
>
>Oh, you mean they are harassed and pilloried by conservatives and their works
>are burned by fundamentalists.  :-(

Yes.  This is what happened to intellectuals when Germany went Nazi.

>The fact that one has groupies and other fans doesn't imply protection from
>the rest of society.

Correct.  But they ARE held in high regard, unlike intellectuals in the
United States.  So whatever comment I was asserting about intellectuals
that you deleted can't be true.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720