[net.religion.jewish] Historical Persecution of Jews

morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) (03/12/86)

It seems to me that Jews have historically been easy marks for
persecution.  I don't think that the primary reason for this persecution
is that Judaism runs counter to Christianity.  That is a secondary reason at
best.

I beleive, rather, that practicing the Jewish faith necessarily separated
the Jewish community from the rest of society.  Maintaining a kosher diet
keeps Jews from eating with Gentiles, thus erecting a fairly large
social barrier.  Prohibition against interreligious marriage was another
such barrier.

Because of their social isolation, Jews living in foreign countries were
viewed with curiosity by the natives.  This curiosity was easily
turned to contempt and hatred in times of stress by ambitious leaders.

What I'm trying to assert is that Jews have not been persecuted historically
for their religion per se, but because of their social customs that are
a result of their religious beliefs.  It was easy to learn to hate those
"funny people" in the community that kept to themselves all the time.

I've come to this conclusion by speaking to a Jewish friend and reading some
Russian and German history.  Does anyone have any comments either way?  I
welcome other opinions.
--

Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
{ hplabs!cae780 } | { ihnp4!sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse

simon@elwood.DEC (Product Safety 237-3521) (03/14/86)

>Because of their social isolation, Jews living in foreign countries were
>viewed with curiosity by the natives.  This curiosity was easily
>turned to contempt and hatred in times of stress by ambitious leaders.
>
>What I'm trying to assert is that Jews have not been persecuted historically
>for their religion per se, but because of their social customs that are
>a result of their religious beliefs.  It was easy to learn to hate those
>"funny people" in the community that kept to themselves all the time.
>

>Terry Morse  (408)743-1487
>{ hplabs!cae780 } | { ihnp4!sun!sunncal } !leadsv!morse

Terry,

I tend to agree with you here, at least if we are talking about modern
times.  Though I can base this only on my experience in the USSR.  The
population of the Soviet Union is basically atheist.  There are very
few religious people in general.  But since I do not know much about
the Muslims in the Asian part of the country, which is large, I am
taking only the Christians and Jews.  There no Jewish traditions left.
Very few synagogues.  For example, in Moscow, where a few hundred
thousands of Jews live, there is only one synagogue.

But...  Anti-Semitism is very strong.  It exists on two levels.  First
is from people.  Second is from the government.

The people in Russia didn't like the Jews for centuries.  Of course in
the old time the cause for hate was religious.  Now it is both
tradition and envy.  Before the revolution the only way for the Jews to
break through into the society was to go to college, get education and
then get the permission from the police to settle in a city.  But the
college admission for the Jews was limited to 5%.   Right after the
revolution in 1917 the Jews got the civil rights that were unheard of
for them before.  They used them.  They went to colleges, became
professionals, served in the government (e.g. Trotsky).   The envy of
their achievements was one of the reasons of the persecutions later.

Now this anti-Semitism is heated up by the government.  Everybody in
the USSR has an internal passport.  On the first page it states your
name and ethnic origin.  The passport is required to get a job, to be
admitted to a college, to get married, to get a permission for an
apartment.  This allows the government to control activities of the
Jews.  By printing anti-Zionist articles in newspapers, showing
anti-Zionist movies on TV and describing in the media Jewish activists
as Zionists, the government created an image that Jewish equals to
Zionist equals to Fascist.

Now I want to stress a few facts again.  The majority of Soviet Jews do
not have their Jewish traditions any more.  They do not speak Hebrew.
Those who are younger then 40 do not speak Yiddish either.  Their native
language is mostly Russian or the language of the place where they live
(Ukrainian, Moldavian, etc.).   They cannot read Jewish literature (which
is practically not published).  All their Jewishness is in the
passports only.  (There is a bitter joke among Russian Jews that even if
you manage to change you passport that it says that you are Russian, still
they will beat you in the face, not in the passport).  Yet as you all
well know, the Soviet Union is one of the most anti-Semitic countries.

Leo B. Simon

(UUCP)	{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-elwood!simon
(ARPA)	simon%elwood.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (03/14/86)

> It seems to me that Jews have historically been easy marks for
> persecution.  I don't think that the primary reason for this persecution
> is that Judaism runs counter to Christianity.  That is a secondary reason at
> best.
(& etc., etc.)

In my opinion there are a lot of facts to be reconciled with any simple
theory explaining the persistent persecution of Jews and Judaism.
For starters, Jews have been viciously persecuted in virtually all
of the European countries (including the ones we view as enlightened
today such as England) in which they have resided.  Next, there have
been many other identifiable ethnic groups which were not similarly
persecuted.  Oh, yes, they may have been second-class citizens in
a foreign culture; that's different.

One possible conclusion would be that the lack of a homeland is
what causes persecution of Jews.  All other ethnic groups originate
somewhere or other and could go back there, giving them some strength.
Thus arose "The Jewish Question" and its solution was Zionism.
But antisemitism still continues and Soviet Russia still persecutes
Jews.  It is not inconceivable that further Jewish persecution could
occur on a grand scale (similar to Hitler) if the world economy
was seriously depressed as in Weimar Germany.

The real question is "Why are Jews chosen to be the scapegoats?"
Is is because we seem to be more financially successful than the
average?  Is that even true, or is it a distortion of statistics?
(Surely there are many incredibly wealthy non-Jews.)  Is it because
we are better educated than the average?  In Russia Jews are prevented
from competing on an equal basis for university entrance.  In the
United States the Ivy League Colleges and MIT have a greater proportion
of Jewish students than our number in the general population (some
3% in the general population).

Personally, I believe that one should not discount the influence
of the Christian Churches.  After all, during the Dark Ages the
only functioning institution was the Church (to some approximation).
And, the Church was virulently anti-Jewish during that time all
the way up to the sixties (the Catholic priests in Catholic
Europe did next to nothing to stop the Germans).  The Church
still does not recognize the State of Israel.  But more important
is the establishment of a culture among Christians over many
centuries, a culture which cannot be easily purged of its anti-Judaism,
and which lies just beneath the surface spread over many millions
of Christians.  It will take a long time before that can be changed.

--J. Abeles
  mhuxm!abeles

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (03/14/86)

Based on my observations of the postings and responses on the
net, I have begun to form a hypothesis as to the cause and
effect of persecution.  We have seen some examples of strong-minded
intellectual presentations which, in some cases were treated with
contempt and derision aimed at the person presenting the views in
question.  We have seen many-on-one collections of negative opinion,
mostly centering on a strategy of ignoring the presentations of
the offending poster.  Its easy to imagine how such treatment
could lead to feelings of persecution.

So I draw two tentative conclusions, both speculative theories
to be further tested by experimental evidence:

1.  Intellectuals are at risk in our society.  By exhibiting their
    powers of intellect, they expose themselves to ostracism and
    alienation.

2.  The degree to which a particular intellectually-minded individual
    is subjected to such treatment is highly correlated with the
    degree of civility and diplomacy with which he presents his
    lines of reasoning.

Does this theory capture the dynamic of the interplay that we have
seen both historically and here on the net?  If the theory is on
the right track, can it be elaborated and perfected to achieve
a deeper understanding of this recurring human tragedy?

--Barry Kort   ...ihnp4!hounx!kort

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/16/86)

In article <852@leadsv.UUCP> morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) writes:

>What I'm trying to assert is that Jews have not been persecuted historically
>for their religion per se, but because of their social customs that are
>a result of their religious beliefs.  It was easy to learn to hate those
>"funny people" in the community that kept to themselves all the time.
>
>I've come to this conclusion by speaking to a Jewish friend and reading some
>Russian and German history.  Does anyone have any comments either way?  I
>welcome other opinions.

    The Gypsies also maintained (and still maintain) a separate cultural
identity. They were a part of the Holocaust -- in fact, a much larger part
than most people are aware of. I think this shows your theory must have
some validity.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
ucbvax!weyl!gsmith            "When Ubizmo talks, people listen."

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (03/18/86)

In article <532@mhuxm.UUCP> abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) writes:

>	The real question is "Why are Jews chosen to be the scapegoats?"
>	Is is because we seem to be more financially successful than the
>	average?  Is that even true, or is it a distortion of statistics?

No, this cannot be the reason.  The European royalty and nobility
were always much richer than any Jews, yet these people were honored,
rather than despised.

>	Is it because we are better educated than the average?

No, the Christian clergy was always better educated than the laity,
yet the common people honored and respected them.

>	Jews have been viciously persecuted in virtually all
>	of the European countries in which they have resided.
>	There have been many other identifiable ethnic groups
>	which were not similarly persecuted.  Oh, yes, they
>	may have been second-class citizens in a foreign culture;
>	that's different.

Jews were rarely persecuted for being an identifiable ethnic group.
The Nazi period was the big exception, of course, but generally,
Jews who converted to whatever religion was locally dominant
(whether Islam or Christianity) were well accepted.  Especially
when the conversion was seen as a sincere act of faith, rather
than a cynical career move.

>	Personally, I believe that one should not discount the influence
>	of the Christian Churches.  After all, during the Dark Ages the
>	only functioning institution was the Church (to some approximation).
>	And, the Church was virulently anti-Jewish during that time all
>	the way up to the sixties.

Christian churchs were not so much anti-Jewish as anti-dissent
of any kind.  Indeed, they often treated gentile dissenters
much more harshly than Jews.  For instance, the Christian world
would not tolerate Islam at all.  In France, the Catholic
massecre of the Hugonauts was as bloody as any anti-Jewish pogram.
But after that, the Protestants (for the most part) jut stayed
out of France completely, while the Jews, would always return.
Likewise for Catholics living in Protestant countries.
If we Jews suffered more, it is because we wouldn't give up.

Gentiles avoided this kind of persecution by going with the flow.
Peasants were quite willing to accept whatever religious denomination
the aristocracy dictated for them.  Aristocrats often chose their
religion on political grounds.  Even today, I've run into several
fellows of Catholic background who switched to a mainstream Protestant
church upon moving to the deep South.  Their explanation:

	"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Think about your own experiences.  In junior high school, how were
non-conformists treated?  Were they respected for their independence
of judgement, or were they ridiculed and tormented?  Jews faced
the same persecution faced by all non-conformists, Christian or
otherwise.

	Frank Silbermann

kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) (03/18/86)

Frank Silberman is on to some good insights concerning historical
persecution of Jews.  In particular, I would like to pick up on
his notion of nonconformity as a proximal cause of persecution.

Conformity is the unthinking imitation of the currently popular
modes of behavior.  The creative intellectual is one who asks,
Why or Why Not questions.  To be sure, the Jews have a long tradition
of intellectual development.  But Gentile intellectuals have also
suffered similar persecution.  Don Quixote is an apt example here.

--Barry Kort  ...ihnp4!hounx!kort

"I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could
  propose happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others."

					--Thomas Jefferson

nathanm@hp-pcd.UUCP (nathanm) (03/18/86)

Anti-Jewish persecution is a complex historical issue that will
not yield to a single, simple theory.  For an example, consider
one particular historical occurrence:

Once upon a time, during and after a period known as the dark
ages, Europe's society was feudal.  A feudal society has three
types of people:

  -- The serfs
  -- The nobles
  -- The clergy

The serfs eked out a miserable existence on the land,
the nobles employed the serfs and fought the wars,
the clergy served the church.

Q: What is missing?
A: Commerce.

Q: Who conducted commerce?
A: A nation that existed outside of feudalism: the Jews.

Since feudalism protected the church's interests and vice versa,
it muddled along for a long time through history, offering the
Jews a somewhat priveleged position, punctuated, to be sure, by
a fair share of anti-Jewish incidents.

When, after the crusades, feudalism came crashing down in the
face of mercantilism/capitalism, the Christians found themselves
freer to pursue activities that had been previously outside of
the feudal system.

But who already had the good jobs in commerce, medicine, etc.?
The Jews.

How to correct the situation?
Legislation.  Persecution.  Expulsion.

----

The point here is that, in this particular slice of history (using
this particular method of historical interpretation), we can discern
causes and motives (not very noble ones, at that) that explain a
*particular* period in which *particular* actions were taken.  But
it is certainly simplistic to explain away all persecution as due to
a perception that Jews have privelege.  We can just as easily find
periods where persecution has been a sincere attempt by sincere
Christians to force Jews to accept the sincere truths of Christianity.

----

Incidentally, for what it's worth, the term "anti-Semitism" was
not coined until 1879, when it was used in an anti-Semitic pamphlet.
Some historians choose to distinguish the anti-Jewish actions of
the olden days (which had, in their context, some sort of rationale)
from the completely paranoid "psychological" anti-Semitism that
brought us the Holocaust and other wonders of the modern age.

---------------------
Nathan Meyers
hp-pcd!nathanm

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/20/86)

In article <852@leadsv.UUCP> morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) writes:
>It seems to me that Jews have historically been easy marks for
>persecution.  I don't think that the primary reason for this persecution
>is that Judaism runs counter to Christianity.  That is a secondary reason at
>best.

I'll agree in general, but I am curious if the roots of Christian
anti-Semitism go back to the first century CE or not.  Were the
early Christians so annoyed at their twain for not seeing the light
that bigotry developed?  And were the early Christians trying to
disassociate themselves from the disasters that befell the Jews
in 66-70 CE in the Jew-Roman war?

These questions are probably unanswerable.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (03/20/86)

--Barry Kort:   ...ihnp4!hounx!kort
>I draw two tentative conclusions, both speculative theories:
>
>1.  Intellectuals are at risk in our society.  By exhibiting their powers
>    of intellect, they expose themselves to ostracism and alienation.
>
>2.  The degree to which a particular intellectually-minded individual
>    is subjected to such treatment is highly correlated with the degree
>    of civility and diplomacy with which he presents his lines of reasoning.
>
>Does this theory capture the dynamic of the interplay that we have
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>seen both historically and here on the net?  If the theory is on
>the right track, can it be elaborated and perfected to achieve
>a deeper understanding of this recurring human tragedy?

The dynamic of the interplay?!  Please have some regard for those of us
who speak only English!  Seriously, I have my own suggestion.

Have you ever heard assimilated Jews speaking disparagingly of Orthodox
(esp. Chassidic) Jews?  If so, then try to find out why.  Whatever
reasons you can discover come up with will probably sound like the same
excuses gentiles have given for disliking Jews throughout history.

	Frank Silbermann

ayf@erc3ba.UUCP (A.Y.Feldblum) (03/21/86)

 	I think that we can distinguish between early Greek and Roman
"anti-semitism" and Christian "anti-semitism". The first was not
religious based, or at least not in the same sense as the second. Greek
and Roman dislike of the Jews was based on a combination of factors,
some of which have been brought up in this discussion. They include the
fact that the Jews kept themselves as a seperate social group and did
not accept Greek or Roman practices (including religion) as readily as
other national groups that the Greeks or Romans conquered. In addition
the Jewish insistance that G-d could not be seen, and that all the gods
of the Romans or Greeks were meaningless (other groups said we have our
gods, you have yours, but they are all powerfull beings) did not make
the Jews well loved by the other nations. However, there was no intense
hatred of the Jews as Jews per se. The Jews did not in any way threaten
the very existance or claim to validity of these other nations. The
study of the relationship between the Jews and the other nations can be
linked with the more general issues of "dislikes" between distinct
groups.

	The nature of Christian "antisemitism" is fundamentally
different. To understand it, one must look at the period of the early
Christian church, before the Roman Empire embraced christianity. During
this period, both the Jews and Christians were active proslytising
elements in the Roman Empire, but both were viewed by the Roman Empire
as Jewish - just two different sects. Depending on the views of the
particular ruler, one group was left relatively alone and the second was
persecuted, with identity of the two groups changing. This laid a
political underpinning for hatred between the two groups. We now add to
this the fact that they were viewed by their prospective converts as
being a jewish sect, and the Jews also looking for converts. A
consequence was that many of these people went both to the jewish shul
and the christian church. To combat this, the church tried to seperate
itself as much as possible from mainstream Judaism. In addition, it
would be difficult to gain Roman converts to a religion whose founder
was killed by the Romans for subversive political activities (there is a
lot of evidence to support that statement). The end result was the birth
of the idea of the Jews as the deicide people - the god killers. Reading
church sermons from that period, which the church has preserved, one
finds such virulent hatred publically proclaimed to rivel anything else
in history.

	The people of what we call "Western Civilization" over the next
more than one thousand years were educated by the Church. And what they
were taught, untill it became part of the social and political fabric,
was the the Jews were god killers and therefor despised by god and
should be despised by all people. When we now look at specific examples
of modern anti-semitism, although the language and immediate causes may
not be religious in nature, it is only this long historical basis that
allows it to flourish.

Avi Feldblum
uucp: {ihnp4, allegra}!pruxc!ayf   or
		      !erc3ba!ayf

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (03/22/86)

From Matthew Wiener (brahms!weemba):
>I am curious if the roots of Christian
>anti-Semitism go back to the first century CE or not.  Were the
>early Christians so annoyed at their twain for not seeing the light
>that bigotry developed?  And were the early Christians trying to
>disassociate themselves from the disasters that befell the Jews
>in 66-70 CE in the Jew-Roman war?
>
>These questions are probably unanswerable.

	Actually, we can make some educated guesses. Some of the
early Nazarenes (Xians) had already parted company with the Torah
by 30-40 AD. There seems to have been considerable friction between
the Nazarenes and Pharasaic Judaism almost from the beginning.
	The real break came, as you suggest, in 66 AD. The Xians
refused to join the Jews in defense of Jerusalem (possibly
because of their belief that the end of the world was just around
the corner, but that's speculation), and instead fled the city.
After that, no Jew considered them a branch of Judaism. As for
the Xians, they probably bore grudges about the executions
of some early Xian leaders at the behest of the Sanhedrin.
	I'm skeptical of the idea that modern antisemitism is
explained by this ancient history, but it does seem clear that
Xianity and Judaism were at odds from the very start. And the
Xians were actually picking up what was already a long-standing
tradition. The Romans were down on the Jews before Jesus was ever
born, and Hellenic-Semitic conflicts go back even farther. Many
of the coastal settlements in Palestine were Greek from time
immemorial (e.g., the Philistines were a Hellenic people); the
conflict was an ancient one. It was perhaps natural, as Xianity
became less Semitic and more Hellenistic in its philosophy and
outlook, that it picked up some long-standing Greek cultural
prejudices. Indeed, the first Nazarenes to forsake the Torah
appear to be Jews who'd already left traditional Judaism behind
for Hellenism, judging by their names (e.g., Stephen). That
other Jews also refused to acknowledge their messiah was
just more fuel for the fire.

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE: {ihnp4,vortex,dual,hao,menlo70,hplabs}!ames!barry

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (03/23/86)

In article <125@mit-trillian.MIT.EDU> martillo@trillian.UUCP (Yakim Martillo) writes:
>In article <12413@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> gsmith@brahms.UUCP (Gene Ward Smith) writes:
>>In article <852@leadsv.UUCP> morse@leadsv.UUCP (Terry Morse) writes:

>>>What I'm trying to assert is that Jews have not been persecuted historically
>>>for their religion per se, but because of their social customs that are
>>>a result of their religious beliefs.  It was easy to learn to hate those
>>>"funny people" in the community that kept to themselves all the time.
[MORSE]

>>    The Gypsies also maintained (and still maintain) a separate cultural
>>identity. They were a part of the Holocaust -- in fact, a much larger part
>>than most people are aware of. I think this shows your theory must have
>>some validity.
[ME]

>Hogwash!  In the middle east and north africa, Jewish social customs
>and practices are not that different from the dominant Muslims, yet
>Jews suffered a great deal of persecution and discrimination while in
>China where Jewish practices were quite different from the majority
>Han, the local Jews suffered no problems at all (except now and then
>from local Muslims).

    My point was not that this provided a complete explanation (since
I don't think it does). It was rather that the analogy with gypsies
supports the notion that it provides a partial explanation. Gypsies
have their own not inconsiderable history of persecution.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
        Fifty flippant frogs / Walked by on flippered feet
    And with their slime they made the time / Unnaturally fleet.

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (03/23/86)

In article <2778@pyuxd.UUCP> rlr@pyuxd.UUCP (Rich Rosen) writes:
>> >[Terry Morse on persecution.]
>> I'll agree in general, but I am curious if the roots of Christian
>> anti-Semitism go back to the first century CE or not.  Were the
>> early Christians so annoyed at their twain for not seeing the light
>> that bigotry developed?  And were the early Christians trying to
>> disassociate themselves from the disasters that befell the Jews
>> in 66-70 CE in the Jew-Roman war?
>
>Certainly those early Christians weren't exactly in any positions of power
>to persecute in those days.  They were probably no better off in that
>regard than the Jews were.  It seems to me that the persecution followed
>the rise to power of the church in society.  Therefore it seems kind of
>irrelevant to proclaim "but they didn't persecute from the very beginning"
>when there was no "power to persecute" until much later.  When it was used.
>
>> These questions are probably unanswerable.
>
>Or not.

My questions were about the roots of bigotry, not of persecution.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

mat@mtx5a.UUCP (m.terribile) (03/24/86)

> Personally, I believe that one should not discount the influence
> of the Christian Churches.  After all, during the Dark Ages the
> only functioning institution was the Church (to some approximation).
> And, the Church was virulently anti-Jewish during that time all
> the way up to the sixties (the Catholic priests in Catholic
> Europe did next to nothing to stop the Germans).  The Church
> still does not recognize the State of Israel.

Hmm.  I seem to recall a number of bishops and nuns who put their lives
at stake helping Jews out of countries controlled by Nazis or quislings.
What about the thousands of false baptismal certificates that were distributed?

The fact is that almost nobody saw Naziism for what it was.  Almost nobody in
Europe OR North America believed the stories about the death camps.  Only a few
understood and they were ridiculed.  Churchill, Stephenson, Rockefeller, FDR,
Morgenthau, a few others.  FDR LIED to the American people as he campaigned
as a pacifist against a pacifist, while he secretly prepared this country
for war.  It was a courageous act, and the world owes him more than we can
ever hope to repay.  Churchill saw, and Stephenson the industrialist wandered
in and out of Hitler's inner circle gathering information, seeing and hearing.

But these were exceptions.  Protestants in the US, Catholics, Jews who could
not believe the rumors, all contributed to Hitler's success.  Remember, it
was an accident of birth, nothing more, that kept you from operating the
killing centers.
--

	from Mole End			Mark Terribile
		(scrape .. dig )	mtx5b!mat

emery@fluke.UUCP (John Emery) (03/24/86)

In article <335@aero.ARPA> homeier@aero.UUCP (Peter Homeier) writes:
>My personal opinion is spiritual.  I believe that God deeply and specially
>loves the Jewish people, and that they have always and will always be
>particularly blessed and graced by Him, as His chosen people.  Since God
>loves them, Satan hates them.  I believe that it is Satan's hatred of God
>that leads him to inspire all these persecutions, as a way of getting back
>at the Lord through His relativily unprotected people.  I just don't see how
>you can explain the consistent, virulent hatred of the Jews except as a
>planned program by the enemy.

My beliefs also, from the heart.  To me, the Jews are a special people.
All the stories of the Old Testament in which God chooses these people
and reveals himself to them are beautiful.  I believe also that the Jews
will always be special to God.  Just as there are false Christians, there
are also false Jews.  They are put there by the enemy to arouse hatred
towards the whole people.  Satan knows the tendencies of the human heart
and how easy it is to promote prejudice to a group.

>In whatever way Christians or anyone else have been acting to persecute the
>Jews, they have been serving Satan, not God.

The first letter of John gives us words which we should take to heart when
considering one group persecuting another, in this case Christians
persecuting Jews:

"Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray.  He who does what is
 right is righteous, just as he is righteous.  He who does what is sinful
 is of the devil, becaus the devil has been sinning from the beginning.
 ... This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children
 of the devil are:  Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child
 of God; neither is anyone who does not love his brother."  1 John 3:7,8,10

Anyone can claim to be a child of God.  Anyone can claim to be a Christian.
However, a true child of God is born of God and since God is love, a true
child of God lives in love.  Regardless of who we are talking about, the
way to separate the sheep from the goats is by their fruits of their deeds:

"The man who says, 'I know him,' but does not do what he commands is a liar
 and the truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4

"And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands.  As you have
 heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love."  2 John 6

Those who preach persecution are of the flesh and not of the Spirit of God.
Man's downfall has been to uplift himself.  And as part of this human nature,
man tends to prejudge others in order to exhault himself.  How often does
man prejudge an entire group of people based on the actions of a few within
the group.  How often does man magnify the shortcommings of a few and apply
it to a whole group.  All this comes from the self seeking nature of man
and is not of God.

"Live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you." 2 Cor. 13:11

John Emery
--
UUCP: {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!emery

"...and if have faith that can move mountains, but have not love,
 I am nothing."  1 Corinthians 13:2

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love.  But the greatest
 of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:13

gkm@ho95e.UUCP (gkm) (03/24/86)

While it may be true that it is not now the official position of any
major christian denomination to be anti-Jewish, I have run into many
"christians" who make derogatory statements about the Jews and
exhibit anti-Jewish behavior.  I also have not read what Martin
Luther had to say about Jews, but have read some statements on this
net to the effect that he was quite anti-Jewish. (I'd appriciate a
reference by Martin Luther in which he so positions himself- not
what someone else says that he said.)  Anyway, I believe that the NT
clearly is against anti-Semitism.  I've tried to explain to
"christians" that I've heard make such statements that their LORD
was Jewish, according to the flesh, and that our Bible came from the
Jews.  I believe if anything that Christians should treat Jewish
people with more respect- if for no other reason than that it was
through them that God chose to deliver to us His word.

				Sincerely, Gary McNees

megann@ihuxi.UUCP (Mcroberts) (03/25/86)

Avi Feldman's article (full text at end) shows insight into the historical
development of modern anti-semitism.  i would like to add some notes.

Even after the Roman Empire was officially Christian, there were several
centuries when many Christians also observed some Jewish rites and practices.
throughtout the early middle ages, it was quite common for a Christian
to celebrate Shabbat on saturday, and "Lord's Day" on Sunday.
I think this practice was widespread until the IX or X century.
(Hence the fact that Sunday was the big market day in medieval europe.)

i suppose it is understandable that christianity felt the need to
separate themselves from judaism, and some of the rhetoric got hostile.
up until the time of the crusades, i think the official rhetoric wasn't
terribly dangerous.  in fact, the jewish community in most locations had
very close ties to the christian clergy -- during the persecutions accompanying
the first crusade, in most locations it was the local bishop who tried to
shelter the jewish community, sometimes in very heroic ways, with varying
degrees of success.  the killers were mobs of non-sanction fanatics.

from this time on, things gradually worsened in europe.  in the mid-XII
century (1157?) we see the case of william of warwich, the first blood-libel
case.  but in general the jewish community of england tended to get on
rather well for another century.  henry iii rather milked the jews, and
by 1257 we have clear indications that the jewish community of england
was quite bankrupt.  in 1290 they were expelled, although at least they
were given six months notice and were guaranteed safe passage out of
england by the king for them and their possessions.

the xiv century got progressively worse -- especially in the middle of
the centuries and all the trouble with the Black Death (which was blamed
on the jews, rather than the fleas who were the real culprits).  i guess
it is an unfortuneate fact of human nature that, when faced with great
tragedy, we seek a scapegoat.

it is useful to distinguish between "Judenhass" (Jew-hatred) and anti-
Semitism.  the difference is that with Judenhass, one can always save
ones skin by being baptized.  and i think that was the prevailing sort
of prejudice throughout the middle ages -- it wasn't until the renaissance
that some thinkers started wondering whether there wasn't something inherently
evil with a jew that even a conversion wouldn't help.  that notion really
grew when combined with XIX century concepts of race and nation, and we
know where that has led.