[net.religion.jewish] What Happened to Nicaraguan Jews

goddard@rochester.ARPA (Nigel Goddard) (03/25/86)

I recently asked about this when a Nicaraguan was staying with a friend of
mine.  He said that he was not aware of any particular anti-semitic action
by the Sandinistas.  He said that a large building housing offices concerned
with the Jewish community in Managua had been taken over by the government
after it was determined that the amount of valuable office space being used
was not justified by the size of the community served, but that now
negotiations were taking place to return all or part of the building to the
Jewish community.

This man is not Jewish and not a Sandinista.  In fact he was imprisoned by
the government for a year for suspected counter-revolutionary activities,
and had some critical things to say about the Sandinistas.  He has extensive
contacts with various groups of all shades of opinion inside and outside
Nicaragua and appeared very knowledgeable about Nicaraguan affairs.

fsks@unc.UUCP (Frank Silbermann) (03/26/86)

In article <16526@rochester.ARPA> goddard@rochester.UUCP (Nigel Goddard) writes:
>I recently asked about this when a Nicaraguan was staying with a friend of
>mine.  He said that he was not aware of any particular anti-semitic action
>by the Sandinistas.  He said that a large building housing offices concerned
>with the Jewish community in Managua had been taken over by the government
>after it was determined that the amount of valuable office space being used
>was not justified by the size of the community served, but that now
>negotiations were taking place to return all or part of the building to the
>Jewish community.

Isn't it justification enough that the Jewish community OWNED the building?
I can sympathize with the Nicaraguan people's desire to rid themselves
of a corrupt president (as the American people did with Nixon), but that
is no excuse to allow Soviet sympathizers to turn the society upside down
in some kind of Marxist revolution.

	Frank Silbermann

simon@elwood.DEC (Product Safety 237-3521) (03/27/86)

>I recently asked about this when a Nicaraguan was staying with a friend of
>mine.  He said that he was not aware of any particular anti-semitic action
>by the Sandinistas.

>This man is not Jewish and not a Sandinista.  In fact he was imprisoned by
>the government for a year for suspected counter-revolutionary activities,
>and had some critical things to say about the Sandinistas.  He has extensive
>contacts with various groups of all shades of opinion inside and outside
>Nicaragua and appeared very knowledgeable about Nicaraguan affairs.

Again I have to apply my experience of living in a Communist country.
If you ask the VAST majority of the Soviets, even educated and "with
extensive contacts" (no sarcasm ment toward the original poster), you
will see that they are not aware of anti-Semitism in the Coviet Union.
Anti-Semitism is very subtle there.  It is not announced.  We didn't
have to wear six point stars.  There is a lot of noise about Zionism,
but of course, oh, no, sure, Zionism and anti-Semitism are not the same!
Only somehow Jews can't find good jobs, or when they do, there is no
promotions or raises.  The kids are not admitted to colleges of their
choices and have to go through the toughest competition to second rated
schools.

But where is anti-Semitism?  Isn't there a synagogue for the Jews?
(One for several hundred thousand Jews in the city).  Don't you have a
weekly newspaper in Yiddish?  (Which is nothing but "Pravda" translated
into Yiddish).

A question to everybody:  Why no Jew in the world moves to any
Communist country?  Why is it always in the opposite direction?

Leo Simon