[net.nlang.greek] fate of net.nlang.greek

alb@alice.UUCP (Adam L. Buchsbaum) (04/07/84)

Can we can net.nlang.greek?  It's had a whopping 3
articles in the history of its life.

Just another example how ''overwhelming support''
for a group when the votes come in doesn't mean
dingo's kidney.

kateveni@ucbvax.UUCP (Manolis G.H. Katevenis) (04/11/84)

For a long time, net.nlang.greek had problems that kept it from
having a reasonable message traffic.  However, this does NOT mean
that it is useless and should be "canned".  We, the people who are
interested in it, are overcoming these problems little by little,
and will be using it more and more.

For example, myself I am at Stanford and not at Berkeley.  However,
for some unknown reason, net.nlang.greek was CREATED with a delay
of TWO MONTHS there (su-shasta via decwrl, creation Mar. 23), and
it is still (today) EMPTY, even though the messages of the rest of
the net-newsgroups arrive there normally.

Another problem that we are trying to overcome is publicity.  We
know that there are many people interested in this newsgroup, but
we are trying to contact them and bring them in touch with the
newsgroup.

I'm sure that you'll see an increasing traffic on net.nlang.greek,
but you (and we) have to be patient.
Thanks.
Manolis Katevenis, CSD & CSL, Stanford U.
	kateveni@su-shasta.ARA
	kateveni@ucbvax.UUCP

spirakis@acf4.UUCP (04/17/84)

Subject: RE : fate of net.nlang.greek
Newsgroups: net.nlang.greek
 I think that the new group's existence is quite useful (at least to me.)
Hence , I vote for its continuation. I also think that the reaction of
mr Busbaum (?) is premature. Was that reaction due to professional obliga-
tion ? Anyway , the language used in that message was quite unscientific,
contrary to ACM ethics rules and inappropriate.
 -- Paul Spirakis (spirakis.acf1@nyu)