[net.veg] Rennet and Cheese

derek2@garfield.UUCP (Derek S Keeping) (11/09/84)

	I have a question which recently came up. How do other net.veg's deal
	with rennet in cheese? Do you just avoid cheese, or do you consider
	rennet content unimportant?

	Is there some source for cheese made without rennet? Can cheese be made
	without rennet? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

	                                Derek S. Keeping
                                   	{allegra,utcsrgv,inhp4}!garfield!derek2

sra@oddjob.UChicago.UUCP (Scott Anderson) (11/12/84)

<<<<<<Say cheese!>>>>>>

It is possible to make most cheese without animal rennet.  The
one particular exception that I know of is swiss cheese (you just don't get
the same flavor/consistency/holes, I guess).  But american standards like
cheddar, colby, monterey jack, muenster, farmers, etc. all can be and often
are made with enzymes from vegetable sources, although you would have to ask
the manufacturer directly to be sure.  At the retail end, the best sources
that I know of for "labeled" vegetarian cheese are food coops, where food
consciousness is a quantum leap above A&P(tm).  Health food stores will also
stock it, but at usually-exorbitant prices.

                                    Scott Anderson
                                    ...!ihnp4!oddjob!kaos

jgb@linus.UUCP (Jonathan G. Bressel) (11/12/84)

In article <garfield.1901> derek2@garfield.UUCP (Derek S Keeping) writes:

>	I have a question which recently came up. How do other net.veg's deal
>	with rennet in cheese? Do you just avoid cheese, or do you consider
>	rennet content unimportant?
>
>	Is there some source for cheese made without rennet? Can cheese be made
>	without rennet? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
>
>	                                Derek S. Keeping
>                                   	{allegra,utcsrgv,inhp4}!garfield!derek2

I used to eat only Kosher cheese on the mistaken assumption that since
Kashrut forbids mixing milk with meat, this cheese would contain no animal
rennet.  This is not true.  (I can explain this if anyone wishes).  There
are cheeses made with vegetable rennet, available at health food stores.
Cheeses which require rennet, cannot be made without it, but there are
vegetable sources for rennet.

I no longer eat dairy products, hence I no longer have any problem with
cheese.

Point of information:  The dairy industry is just as cruel to cows as is the
meat industry.  The dairy industry supplies a great fraction of the cows
used in the meat industry.  The notoriously cruel veal industry receives its
calves from the dairy industry.  Cows don't simply give milk all of their
lives.  They must give birth periodically in order to maintain their milk
supply, just as humans do.  The resultant calves are either slaughtered for
veal, or raised for beef.

--
					Jonathan G. Bressel

ARPA:	linus!jgb@mitre-bedford
UUCP:	...{decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!jgb

tim@scc.UUCP (Tim Bessie) (11/16/84)

> 	I have a question which recently came up. How do other net.veg's deal
> 	with rennet in cheese? Do you just avoid cheese, or do you consider
> 	rennet content unimportant?
>
> 	Is there some source for cheese made without rennet? Can cheese be made
> 	without rennet? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
>
> 	                                Derek S. Keeping
>                                    	{allegra,utcsrgv,inhp4}!garfield!derek2

     Very simple... many cheese companies now use a vegetable rennet.  This
is a cncentrate of certain fungus organisms which produce enzymes similar
to rennin, and which will curdle milk just as well.  I don't know of any
particular companies, but any good natural food store will have a selection
of 'rennetless' cheeses.  Personally, I don't object to rennet.  I suppose
that, these days, they can synthesize rennin.  If not, I would think that
the vegetable substitutes would be cheaper, and thus used instead anyway.

				-Tim Bessie

derek2@garfield.UUCP (Derek S Keeping) (11/19/84)

	I would appreciate some clarification on the Kosher cheese question.
	Specifically what is it that makes cheese made with animal rennet
	Kosher? I have found a local source for Kosher cheese and some foods
	which contain cheese which is Kosher. However I have since discovered
	that Kosher cheese may contain animal rennet.  Help Please.

	Also if anyone wants a summery of related messages I've recieved you
	can mail me.

					Thanks
					Derek S Keeping.
					{allegra,inhp4,utcsrgv}!garfield!derek2

tim@scc.UUCP (Tim Bessie) (11/24/84)

> In article <garfield.1901> derek2@garfield.UUCP (Derek S Keeping) writes:
> >
> >	I have a question which recently came up. How do other net.veg's deal
> >	with rennet in cheese? Do you just avoid cheese, or do you consider
> >	rennet content unimportant?
> >
> >	Is there some source for cheese made without rennet? Can cheese be made
> >	without rennet? Any help would be MUCH appreciated.
> >
> >	                                Derek S. Keeping
> >                                   	{allegra,utcsrgv,inhp4}!garfield!derek2
>

> I used to eat only Kosher cheese on the mistaken assumption that since
> Kashrut forbids mixing milk with meat, this cheese would contain no animal
> rennet.  This is not true.  (I can explain this if anyone wishes).  There
> are cheeses made with vegetable rennet, available at health food stores.
> Cheeses which require rennet, cannot be made without it, but there are
> vegetable sources for rennet.
>
> I no longer eat dairy products, hence I no longer have any problem with
> cheese.
>
> Point of information:  The dairy industry is just as cruel to cows as is the
> meat industry.  The dairy industry supplies a great fraction of the cows
> used in the meat industry.  The notoriously cruel veal industry receives its
> calves from the dairy industry.  Cows don't simply give milk all of their
> lives.  They must give birth periodically in order to maintain their milk
> supply, just as humans do.  The resultant calves are either slaughtered for
> veal, or raised for beef.
>
> --
> 					Jonathan G. Bressel
>
> ARPA:	linus!jgb@mitre-bedford
> UUCP:	...{decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!jgb

I guess I'm just lucky... Here in Santa Cruz (CA), we have many local
farms, including Webb's Organic Farm.  Besides the usual compliment
of vegitarian delights there, they also have several cows.  They milk
these, and sell the fresh, whole, un-touched milk at a lower price than
any store-bought milk.  Besides being healthier and tasting bettter, it
comes from cows that are let to do pretty much anything they want, except
at milking time (which is done by hand).

				-Tim Bessie