[net.veg] Brewer's Yeast Recipes Wanted

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (02/19/85)

Brewer's Yeast Recipes Wanted__________________________________________________

	Brewer's Yeast is an absolutely fantastic food that gives you all kinds
of great vitamins, especially B-vitamins.  It doesn't taste all that great on
its own, though there are strains made especially for human consumption.  Even
so, it doesn't quite rate as a main course (-:), so it works best as an addit-
ive (though I have found a great fake cheese recipe that features it).
	Anyways, I put it in bread and I make fake cheese with it.  What else
can I do with it?  What does it go well with and what does it go poorly with?
The way I read it, it can be mixed in with all kinds of stuff.  How does one
decide when to mix it in?
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

tim@normac.UUCP (Tim McCreery) (02/20/85)

My mother was an early fan of Adelle Davis, and so I've been on
"Brewers'" for years. I have been a veggie (sometimes literally)
or vegan for the last 14 years. Although during this time I have
seen many recipes that contain Brewers' Yeast, virtually the ONLY
way I take it is in orange juice, every morning. It is hard to get
the two to mix so Helen's Hints #63778 is to use a blender. Hint
#63778a is to rinse the blender immediately afterward with water
lest the residue dries and requires disassembly to clean. Grapefruit
juice is pretty good too. My mix is roughly two heaping tablespoons
in 8-10 oz of o.j., but then again, I've been taking it for years.
Start at a much smaller amount and increase to taste. We use
Dr. Donsbrach's (sp?) fortified yeast at our house. I think
fortified yeasts are better for you and have a chance to taste
better than straight brewers. In addition to the naturally balanced B's,
yeast is rich in the protein/amino acids which vegans can only get in
things like nuts and beans. Be sure your health food store has good
turnover in their yeast sales. Like most things, fresh yeast tastes
sooo much better than stale old stuff.

			o.j. just doesn't taste right without it,
				Tim McCreery (415) 947-0998
				Normac Associates, Inc.
				ihnp4!zehntel!normac!tim

channic@uiucdcsb.UUCP (02/20/85)

<this line likes brewer's yeast>

One way I like to ingest brewer's yeast is on a salad as follows:
First I make my salad as usual but instead of salad dressing, I add
a generous helping of cottage cheese and sprinkle brewer's yeast on top.
One can also add kelp in this situation (yet another nutritious but
less than scrumptious food).

But the best way to enjoy brewer's yeast is on popcorn.
(Did he say on popcorn?)
YES, on popcorn!
Just add butter or margarine as usual (my favorite is ghee or clarified
butter) but make sure it is well distributed or else you'll end up
with all your brewer's yeast at the bottom of the bowl.
Then sprinkle a fair amount of brewer's yeast on top and shake the bowl
so that the yeast gets evenly distributed.
THEN (this is important, brewer's yeast alone doesn't cut it)
follow the same procedure with Vegit or Spike or similar vegetable
seasoning like Dr. Bronner's etc.
You will never eat popcorn any other way (except if your late for a movie).
Seriously, everybody I've told this too (and myself when I first heard
about it) said, "Yuck!"  But by the end of the bowl, everyone wants more.
Now if you don't have a popcorn guru to prepare this delight for you
the first time, you may not get the proportions quite perfect.
But don't give up.  Popcorn was never this good -- or good for you.

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (02/20/85)

>From: daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself)
>Subject: Brewer's Yeast Recipes Wanted
>
>        Anyways, I put it in bread and I make fake cheese with it.  What else
>can I do with it?  What does it go well with and what does it go poorly with?
>The way I read it, it can be mixed in with all kinds of stuff.  How does one
>decide when to mix it in?

One of the more obvious things to do with brewer's yeast is  to  brew  with
it.  I've  been  brewing my own beer and hard-cider off and on for about 15
years now (I don't have the patience for wine).  The final  product  always
has  a fair amount of brewer's yeast on the bottom of the bottle (I'm not a
fanatic about clarity).  When pouring for  guests  I  save  the  dregs  for
myself -- they don't know what they're missing.

Recipes and equipment are available from any hobbyist wine-making shop.

The Polymath (Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                               If thy CRT offend thee, pluck
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.                      it out and cast it from thee.
Santa Monica, California  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{vortex,philabs}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

channic@uiucdcsb.UUCP (02/21/85)