[net.veg] Unconventional Cancer Therapy

marathe@fortune.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (02/22/85)

Although this is a followup to an article in net.med I'm also posting
it to net.veg as I feel it might be of interest to that newsgroup also.

Lately there have been many articles about unconventional cancer therapy
in net.med, but none has mentioned the "macrobiotic diet" as one
such therapy.  I've been reading a lot about the macrobiotic diet and how
many people have cured their cancers after getting on this diet.  Even
people in advanced stages of cancer and people with cancers with low
cure rates (such as cancer of the pancreas) have been cured.  There was
a story on TV recently about a medical doctor who cured his cancer of
the lungs by going on this diet.  They showed X-rays of his lungs before
he went on the diet and the cancerous tissue was clearly visible.  Then
they showed X-rays of his lungs after he had followed this diet for a
certain length of time and the cancerous tissue had completely
disappeared.  While he was on the macrobiotic diet he did not use any
conventional therapies (such as chemotherapy and rediation) for
treatment.

The macrobiotic diet is really a very ancient diet that has been followed
by traditional cultures for centuries.  It is not some new invention.
Even today there are communities in the world that follow this diet
without knowing that they are following the macrobiotic diet.  These
communities have been known to be very healthy and free of the common
degenerative diseases (such as cancer, heart disease, arthritis etc.).
An example of these communities are the Hunzas (who live in the
Himalayas in India) and the people of Vilcabamba in South America.
These communities basically follow a diet which is high in complex
carbohydrates, low in fat (especially animal fat) and low in protien.
Not only is the incidence of degenerative diseases rare among the
elderly but also there are no signs of obesity or undernutrition.
Also it is common to live to be a hundred (100) years old.  There is
a description of these people in the National Geographic Magazine,
Vol. 143, No. 1, Jan. 1973, "Every Day Is A Gift When You
Are Over 100" by Alexander Leaf, M.D.

Avinash Marathe
{sri-unix,hpda,harpo,ihnp4,allegra}!fortune!marathe

daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) (02/25/85)

Re: Unconventional Cancer Therapy______________________________________________

	The original article mentions both the curing and preventative effects
of a macrobiotic diet.  The flame that followed seemed to notice only the pre-
ventative effect.  A pity.
	There are many people who have cured cancer with a macrobiotic diet.
That doctor was one of the more recent to come to the media's attention.  An-
other famous person was Dirk Benedict.
	I personally know another person who did this.  His name is Tinker.
He had a bad case of cancer, including at least one tumor the size of an or-
ange.  He went on a macrobiotic diet and was *completely* cured in less than
two years!
	I'd say there's something more to this than our flaming friend would
care to believe.

	As for the related complaint that he or she brought up, I don't think
it's insulting to say that the medical establishment has (until recently) ig-
nored preventative approaches and concentrated on curing.  It's simply true.
	Fortunately a more holistic view is emerging, and this situation is
changing.
		<_Jym_>

:::::::::::::::: Jym Dyer
::::'  ::  `:::: Dracut, Massachusetts
::'    ::    `::
::     ::     :: DYER%VAXUUM.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
::   .::::.   :: {allegra|decvax|ihnp4|ucbvax}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxuum!dyer
::..:' :: `:..::
::::.  ::  .:::: Statements made in this article are my own; they might not
:::::::::::::::: reflect the views of |d|i|g|i|t|a|l| Equipment Corporation.

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (02/25/85)

In article <703@decwrl.UUCP> daemon@decwrl.UUCP (The devil himself) writes:
>Re: Unconventional Cancer Therapy______________________________________________
>
>	The original article mentions both the curing and preventative effects
>of a macrobiotic diet.  The flame that followed seemed to notice only the pre-
>ventative effect.  A pity.

	The original article CLAIMED curing and preventative effects of
a macrobiotic diet.  No evidence of "cure" was offered.  Because event B
follows event A is no proof whatever that A caused B.

>	There are many people who have cured cancer with a macrobiotic diet.

	Again, what is your evidence of a "cure?"  Do you distinguish
between spontaneous remission, which occurs in a small fraction of
cases, and outright "cure?"  Have the "cured" people remained free of
the original malignancy for five years?

>That doctor was one of the more recent to come to the media's attention.  An-
>other famous person was Dirk Benedict.
>	I personally know another person who did this.  His name is Tinker.
>He had a bad case of cancer, including at least one tumor the size of an or-
>ange.  He went on a macrobiotic diet and was *completely* cured in less than
>two years!

	Again, if such a diet is truely a "cure" for cancer, it should
be able to withstand the rigors of scientific, "double blind" testing
or, at least, a retrospective variant thereof.  Has such research been
published?  Have these results been subjected to critical, scientific,
peer review?

>	As for the related complaint that he or she brought up, I don't think
>it's insulting to say that the medical establishment has (until recently) ig-
>nored preventative approaches and concentrated on curing.  It's simply true.

	For 50 years that I know of, many physicians have been urging
patients to quit smoking; clearly a "preventative" approach.  For 40 of those
50 years, their pleas went unheeded.  Perhaps the public has not been
listening to their doctors!

	What is your evidence that the medical establishment ignored
preventative approaches?

Brint

steiny@scc.UUCP (Don Steiny) (02/25/85)

**

	I had an acquaintance that worked at Linus Pauling's
institute in Stanford.   He was totally sold on nutrition
as a preventive and curative for cancer.   I have another
acquaintance that was co-author of a book, *Getting Well
Again.*   *Getting Well Again* outlines using visualization
to mobilize the body's resources against the disease.  I have
still another friend that was born and educated in mainland
China.  She practices Chinese medicine.  I asked her about
the Chinese model of cancer.  She said it is considered incurable
and it is believed to be caused by depression.

	Even the AMA is recommending some selenium and fresh
vegetables, i.e. nutrition.   Though  I have not seen anything
directly relating stress and cancer, there is much evidence
that changing ones attitude and life style will greatly decrease
ones chance of heart disease.   People that are beraved are much
more suceptable to disease indicating that perhaps there is
a subtle relationship between ones attitude and ones immune
system.

	The thing that makes it so difficult to make convincing
arguments one way or the other for any of these approaches (or
the standard one) is that they do not always work.   Sometimes
they "work."  The problem is, many cancers spontaniously reverse
themselves anyway.  If someone is undergoing a therapy and
the cancer reverses itself, how is one to know if it was the
therapy or nature?

	The number one low-fat fresh vegetable nut in the country,
Nate Pritikin, died a few days ago.  He killed himself because
he was in such pain from terminal lukemia.

	The Chinese got their system of medicine from from
India and passed it on system to the Japanese.    In all the
experience of all of those systems of medicine there is no
cure for cancer.
--
scc!steiny
Don Steiny - Personetics @ (408) 425-0382    ihnp4!pesnta   -\

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (02/26/85)

> Re: Unconventional Cancer Therapy______________________________________________
>
> 	The original article mentions both the curing and preventative effects
> of a macrobiotic diet.  The flame that followed seemed to notice only the pre-
> ventative effect.  A pity.
> 	There are many people who have cured cancer with a macrobiotic diet.
> That doctor was one of the more recent to come to the media's attention.  An-
> other famous person was Dirk Benedict.
> 	I personally know another person who did this.  His name is Tinker.
> He had a bad case of cancer, including at least one tumor the size of an or-
> ange.  He went on a macrobiotic diet and was *completely* cured in less than
> two years!
> 	I'd say there's something more to this than our flaming friend would
> care to believe.

Although a number of people are making claims about the effectiveness of
the macrobiotic diet in curing cancer, it is worthwhile to note that
Ruth Carter Stapleton died of pancreatic cancer while taking no treatment
except the macrobiotic diet. I have also heard that a substance in the
rhizomes of violets will cure or abate cancer.

jcpatilla

marathe@fortune.UUCP (Avinash Marathe) (02/26/85)

I think Brint Cooper misses the intent of my article on the macrobiotic
diet.  I did not claim that the macrobiotic diet cured or prevented
cancer.  I am aware that there is no scientific evidence that macrobiotics
cures cancer.

I just wanted to share information about the diet with others
in this newsgroup and since the subject was *Unconventional Cancer
Therapies* it seemed OK to present information on a method that wasn't
scientifically proven.

I am not an authority on either macrobiotics or allopathic medicine.
The sole purpose of the article was to expose people to other methods
of treating/preventing cancer, so that maybe someone would do some
scientific research on this diet.

Macrobiotics makes a lot of sense to me and the number of people
cured of their degenerative diseases after going on the diet seems
more than mere coincidence.

Avinash Marathe

"Make your food your medicine and your medicine your food."