[net.veg] Types of "vegetarians"

sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott Anderson) (04/22/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH MY MESSAGE ? ***

Most "vegetarians" are not strictly herbivorous; they will usually
eat some animal products, e.g. milk or eggs.  Those who eat the former
are called lactovegetarians, those who eat the latter are called
ovovegetarians, and those who eat both are lactoovovegetarians (such
as myself).  In addition, there are people who call themselves
vegetarians who will also eat fish or poultry.  I think the former
could be called "piscivegetarians", as in pisciculture or pisciform,
but what would the latter be called -- poulevegetarians?  Are there
generally accepted names for these "vegetarians"?

				Scott Anderson
				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra

"I don't eat meat; I'm a poulepiscilactoovovegetarian!"

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (04/22/85)

In article <691@oddjob.UUCP> sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott Anderson) writes:
>[......] vegetarians who will also eat fish or poultry.  I think the former
>could be called "piscivegetarians", as in pisciculture or pisciform,
>but what would the latter be called -- poulevegetarians?  Are there
>generally accepted names for these "vegetarians"?
>				Scott Anderson

    Of course this is just cause for the linguistic magpie to
spring into action. Does anyone know of a reference book which
lists the various adjectives for animals? eg. piscine, bovine,
lupine, vulpine, porcine etc.
    Thanks a whole lot to all the people who responded to my last
request for reference books. I've now got tons of new references
and will post them if there is any interest. Stay tuned to this
station for more obscure word collections.
	The linguistic magpie.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, Department of Computer Science, U. Waterloo
{allegra|clyde|linus|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdaisy!gjerawlins

gary@rochester.UUCP (Gary Cottrell) (04/24/85)

In article <691@oddjob.UUCP> sra@oddjob.UUCP (Scott Anderson) writes:
>In addition, there are people who call themselves
>vegetarians who will also eat fish or poultry.
>				Scott Anderson
>				ihnp4!oddjob!kaos!sra
>
>"I don't eat meat; I'm a poulepiscilactoovovegetarian!"

My SO (a non -vege) says chickens are vegetables anyway. I tend to agree.

gary cottrell	(allegra or seismo)!rochester!gary  (UUCP)
		gary@rochester (ARPA)

jc@mit-athena.UUCP (John Chambers) (04/26/85)

>[......] vegetarians who will also eat fish or poultry.  I think the former
>could be called "piscivegetarians", as in pisciculture or pisciform,
>but what would the latter be called -- poulevegetarians?  Are there
>generally accepted names for these "vegetarians"?
>				Scott Anderson

Yeah, they're called "omnivores". :-)

Why isn't there a special name for people who don't eat liver?
--

			John Chambers [...!decvax!mit-athena]

He who has made no mistakes has probably made nothing at all.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (05/03/85)

In article <194@mit-athena.UUCP> jc@mit-athena.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

>Why isn't there a special name for people who don't eat liver?
>
>			John Chambers [...!decvax!mit-athena]

There is. "Intelligent" or "sensible" are good examples... :-)

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (05/09/85)

In article <10380@brl-tgr.ARPA> wmartin@brl-bmd.UUCP writes:
>>Why isn't there a special name for people who don't eat liver?
>There is. "Intelligent" or "sensible" are good examples... :-)

And then the problems start... lack of the correct B-12 balance may
lead to further complications.